Teaching -

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Scout

Teaching -

Post by Scout »

someone else's kindergarten class can be enough of a headache to send a person home needing a half bottle of Tylenol (or acetomenthol (sp?) overseas) for migranes.

(This thread is of course, written on behalf of Compy who said things were too quiet.):)

Five bathroom breaks, one change of a little fella's pants when he couldn't get them unzipped, 2 spills of apple juice, finger paint and glitter (need I say more?), boogies / bogies, one cut shirt from a friend's experiment with scissors, the discovery of 'X won't be my friend anymore', not wanting to clean up within an allotted 12 minutes, job changing, report filing and tears because dad was late.

That all happened in the span of three hours this morning, and makes quiet with some conversation at 3:30 a.m. look pretty darn peaceful.

So, what're the little challenges in your days this week? Kids? Ebay? Cats who want to crawl all over the computer keyboard and swat at cursors on the screen?
Halfshell

Re: Teaching -

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Scout
So, what're the little challenges in your days this week? Kids? Ebay? Cats who want to crawl all over the computer keyboard and swat at cursors on the screen?

eBay buyers who respond to "right, total including shipping is 45 GBP - payment in sterling only, via PayPal" by sending me an International Money Order for 39 USD.

I mean fer ****'s sake.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

life, love and wallpapering the stairs (not literally- Brend I'm looking at you :wtf: )

Oh, and work, work's always a pain in the ass
Sades

Post by Sades »

After much deliberation, I've decided I'm quitting my crappy, boring, dead end and ****e-paying job!

Thank gods, I hate it and all the headaches/aspects of certain people associated with. There're some things that should just be left alone/aren't worth waiting for.

... Though considering I suppose it'd be better not to do it this week... but oh, how I want to.

Right now.

Oh, and attempting to scrounge up enough money so I can afford to slowly commit suicide by inhaling tar and other assorted chemicals/drink heavily this weekend should be fun, also. I'm considering selling either my cousin or sibling.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Scout

Post by Scout »

Bright side - at least it wasn't a personal cheque?

Mailing can be entertaining with dealing overseas.
Buying from US to GBP right now is expensive too. I can't imagine that went over real well once you told the person about the current conversion rate.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Oh, I just sent a message back saying "I'm not accepting this as payment. Do it right or **** off." Well, maybe not the last bit.

The whole thing's gonna go tits up as he's no longer registered anyway. He's not even from America - he's from Costa Rica or something. I'm not sure...
Originally posted by saysadie
slowly commit suicide by inhaling tar and other assorted chemicals

Quitting stuck this time, then? ;)

Let's all take a moment of silence to mourn the loss of our poor domesticated comrade, El Warpo.

Did I say mourn? I meant laugh at...
StoneCold Skywarp

Originally posted by Brendocon
Let's all take a moment of silence to mourn the loss of our poor domesticated comrade, El Warpo.

Did I say mourn? I meant laugh at...

GODDAMNIT! & I wonder why I don't come round here anymore... wait, no I don't, I come here to ban people :p

Seriously, wallpapering's a bitch, bit like your mom (waits for onslaught of pathetic jokes from over the water)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Quitting stuck this time, then? ;)

Went tits up that weekend I went out. But when I have no money I don't smoke.

What? It counts, dammit!

As for Warp...

I got you a present. It's a nice frilly apron and a rolling pin.

It matches the set I bought for Erik! Aw, you two are gonna look so adowwable.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Trying to work at a computer while I'm doped up to my eyeballs on cough syrup w/ codeine has proven to be more of a challenge than I anticipated...

But I'm not hacking up a lung all over a keyboard that someone else may have to use after me.

Having Broncitis sucks... :eyebrow:
Computron

Post by Computron »

Got a pretty simple week this week

Just need to get a customer that spans over two sites to be able toaccess their files on the server (on one site) from both sites with the exact same speed. Oh and the maximum comms in each site available is 1 meg ADSL. Needless to say the next two days is involving lots of playing around with real time file replication.

I also need to go set up some network printers for someone else who is never happy with the job and is expecting printers able to scan when all they are getting is simple printers.

I also have ordered all the parts for my new media centre I'm building so I'll hopefully be doing that tonight whilst watching Arsenal providing the case arrives as its late :(

Finally I get to go away for the weekend and meet up with a load of people form my world of warcraft guild for a few beers so that should be a nice end of the week
I support a ban on powerposting
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp
wait, no I don't, I come here to ban people :p

Provided Hound doesn't get there first. Face it, Matt - all you get these days is sloppy seconds from the useless mod...
StoneCold Skywarp

Provided Hound doesn't get there first. Face it, Matt - all you get these days is sloppy seconds from the useless mod...

That's no way to talk about our staff, now when you were on board, that was useless... :o
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp
That's no way to talk about our staff, now when you were on board, that was useless... :o

Nono, I think you're confusing "useless" with "godly". No wonder Auros is still on staff...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, this is my first week working five m=nights permanently instead of four. I expect to hate the sight of sausage rolls even more now...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sassy
Protoform

Re: Teaching -

Post by Sassy »

Originally posted by Scout
someone else's kindergarten class can be enough of a headache to send a person home needing a half bottle of Tylenol (or acetomenthol (sp?) overseas) for migranes.

(This thread is of course, written on behalf of Compy who said things were too quiet.):)

Five bathroom breaks, one change of a little fella's pants when he couldn't get them unzipped, 2 spills of apple juice, finger paint and glitter (need I say more?), boogies / bogies, one cut shirt from a friend's experiment with scissors, the discovery of 'X won't be my friend anymore', not wanting to clean up within an allotted 12 minutes, job changing, report filing and tears because dad was late.

That all happened in the span of three hours this morning, and makes quiet with some conversation at 3:30 a.m. look pretty darn peaceful.

When you get stressed out by the kids just think of all the fun they bring you and why you originally decided on being a teacher. I'm sure you are the best teacher anyone could ever have.

The kids I have to deal with are the ones who come into the store I work at and open play with and break the toys for sale. Very annoying but I tell myself they are just kids and they don't know any better.

Gosh kids can be a real pain, at times I'm even grateful I don't have any.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

My fourth block (last class of the day) has been grating this week because our spring break starts Friday. They already play too much due to an overabundance of testosterone in the room, and the excitement of springtime has only magnified that.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by saysadie
Went tits up that weekend I went out. But when I have no money I don't smoke.

What? It counts, dammit!

Not sure if I've trotted this one out here before, but I had a mate in uni who smoked 20 a day, and would quit after each cigarette. This mean he smoked for ~90 minutes a day, which meant, according to him, he spent 15/16ths of his year being quit.

Erm, yeh, i'm making myself a rubbish website :)
Sixshot

Re: Re: Teaching -

Post by Sixshot »

eBay buyers who respond to "right, total including shipping is 45 GBP - payment in sterling only, via PayPal" by sending me an International Money Order for 39 USD.

I mean fer ****'s sake.

Back in the day when Paypal was for US customers only and I was using Yahoo UK Auctions, some **** won a Pokemon card from me for £1.50 and then sent me $1.50 through Paypal, ignoring a) postage, b) currency and c) the fact that I didn't even have a Paypal account. I couldn't even refund the ****ing thing as I couldn't sign up without a US address. Then he gave ME a negative rating.

Then I came across a buyer on ebay who seriously did not know that the United Kingdom even existed. They emailed me to let me know that there was a delay in sending payment as they hadn't put the right postage on their envelope (they were sending me payment from the US) and it had been returned to them. My competency assessment warning bells were ringing, so I emailed back to check that they understood they needed to mail payment in GBP Pounds Sterling, and to go and ask for help at their Post Office/Bank if they didn't understand how to get a cheque or money order in the right currency. She then emails back to say something along the lines of "SORRY DUDE I HAVE NOT SENT MONEY TO GBP BEFORE". I emailed about 6 times trying to explain that the country I live in is England, and the currency is Pounds Sterling, or "GBP" Great British Pounds. She keeps responding with "DON'T WORRY DUDE, I HAVE SENT TO GBP THIS TIME".

3 weeks later, I get a money order for $14 (the item was £14). I return it to her with a letter politely explaining that I think it's best we cancel the transaction. I ended up feeling a bit sorry for her as she was clearly too stupid to survive much longer.

I can honestly say that out of the 5 or 6 Americans who have won an auction from me and tried to pay with a method other than Paypal, only 1 has got it right. That's not a good percentage.

He was in a boy band!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I stopped shipping internationally (aside from anything I expected to be a killer overseas, like UK exclusive TFs) after the same sort of thing... Usually shipping fees was a nightmare... trying to explain to someone that they may be able to get a CD shipped from another state for $3 but its a bit more pricey from the other side of the Atlantic gets dull after a while, as does people impatient over the time the surface mail they chose to save... The other one that happened a couple of times is some newbie (both times from New Zealand, bizarrely) buying a 99p item and then getting all pissy because the shipping's about 3 or 4 times that.

Sorry guys, some of you foreigners are just a bit rubbish :(
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, I survived my first full week by nicking the back door CD player and puting David Bowies greatest hits on at full vollume- geting everyone to sing along to Life In Mars as a tribute/piss take to the store manager who dresses like it's still 1973.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!