Superman Returns.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Superman Returns.

Post by Sir Auros »

I went to the 10pm showing and ****ing loved it. I'll probably post more once I've digested it, but it's damn good.

I will say this though...
SPOILER! (select to read)
I don't normally touch a point of view like this, but there was one scene that I felt was completely unnecessary and should have been left out. When Luthor & Co. are entering the mansion and you see the pomeranian eating the remains of the other one, yeah, that's darkly amusing and I laughed, but this movie could have been much more accessible to children had that been omitted. It didn't add anything but a cheap laugh, and it alienates a whole group who otherwise would probably be fine seeing this movie. If I had seen that as a kid, it would have upset me. I would've still found the movie great, but it would've really depressed me.

I dunno, maybe I'm just too sensitive.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Is there anyway someone could give a spoiler free evaluation of the movie. I'm trying to persuade my friends that it won't suck and we need to go see this movie.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I'm thinking about seeing at the local Imax depending if I have the money to see at all.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Hound
Is there anyway someone could give a spoiler free evaluation of the movie. I'm trying to persuade my friends that it won't suck and we need to go see this movie.

The acting is good, the storyline is interesting, the love story is engaging, and it appeals to non-nerds as well. Oh, and it has none of the camp that the earlier movies had...of course, the few bad reviews it's received have mainly been because it lacked that crap.

Oh, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, STAY THE **** AWAY FROM ALL REVIEWS! Too many of them give away major plot details.
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
The acting is good, the storyline is interesting, the love story is engaging, and it appeals to non-nerds as well. Oh, and it has none of the camp that the earlier movies had...of course, the few bad reviews it's received have mainly been because it lacked that crap.

Oh, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, STAY THE **** AWAY FROM ALL REVIEWS! Too many of them give away major plot details.

Too bad.. I already read most of them. Still I may go see if if my brother who'll go this weekend recommend it. My fiancee went back to Taiwan yesterday so I got nobody to see it with right now.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I absolutely loved it. There are maybe two things that bug me in the movie (plotwise) but they don't do anything to take away from the story at all.

And while the soundtrack is done by someone new, it was great hearing the applications of John Williams' Superman thematic throughout. Plenty of times it trumpeted nicely, other times the music was its own thing with little hints to keep it moving along. Very nicely done.

Brandon Roth does a great portrayal of Superman. I was definitely pleased with the entire approach.

I never thought Superman would ever interest me again. It was something I grew up with as a kid (as did how many of us?) and quickly grew out of. (again, how many of us? ;) ) This movie really does bring back Superman.

Oh yeah, and I got to see the preview for next-year's Spiderman 3. Damn, that looks good.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

What the hell is wrong with you people? You need to see this movie and like it or I'll send you death threats like that ****ass Roger Ebert.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

I do want to see it... but the clip in Letterman certainly didn't inspire confidence, no ("Ooh... I'd forgotten how warm you are...").

Please tell me that most of it isn't that cheesy...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Here's my review, pretty spoiler-free:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_JS_zvKdgyQ

:wtf:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Grandmaster Shockwaeve

Please tell me that most of it isn't that cheesy...

Yeh, that all the TV spots here seem to feature some utter sh!te lines has made me a bit tenuous... "You just flew in LOL?" It's bad enough when that rubbish creeps into Smallville, I don't think I could bear spending money for that.
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

It looks like it's following the trend of modern Superhero films. Big budget special effects, cheesy short lines, a final speech before the enemy is killed, and 2D characters.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

A quick non spoilery question... Most of the advanced publicity for the film I've read claimed it was a "sort of sequel but not quite" to the first two Reeve movies... But in a interview with da man Singer in SFX a few months ago he claimed it only follows the first one and he doesn't even like Superman II very much- So is there any indication of which it is?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
A quick non spoilery question... Most of the advanced publicity for the film I've read claimed it was a "sort of sequel but not quite" to the first two Reeve movies... But in a interview with da man Singer in SFX a few months ago he claimed it only follows the first one and he doesn't even like Superman II very much- So is there any indication of which it is?

It has to follow Superman II, as there's a sorta-kinda reference in there to an event in Superman II.
SPOILER! (select to read)
Luthor navigates his way through the Fortress of Solitude and gives a lecture about it. Kitty then says "You act like you've been here before", to which Luthor stares at the camera sinisterly.

This is, of course, a reference to his going tot he Fortress of Solitude in Superman II
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Worryingly then the director doesn't know about the plot of his own film...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Um...I...don't know how that got there...I...uh...

LOOK! My review!!

http://www.filmsy.com/reviews/superman-returns/

:laugh:

That's OK.

I thought I had missed some injoke or reference.

Good review by the way. You seem to have clearly summed up the general feeling about the film.
MaximusPrime
Protoform

Post by MaximusPrime »

I saw it last week and I loved it. The only thing I don't think I liked that much was the new Superman costume. The cape just doesn't seem that impressive to me. It kinda looks like they attatched a giant Fruit Roll-up to the whole thing. And the boots looked like moon boots or something. Other than that, great movie and Kevin Spacey was a phenominal Luthor. I liked how the movie made references to the last two (Lex wearing wigs here and there for example).

Best movie I've seen all summer!:D
"Gotta admire a guy who brings a nuke to a gunfight."

"I'm not a real actor, but I play one on T.V."

"I'm like a superhero with no powers or motivation."

Maximus Prime! He does his own stunts!
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

I saw it in IMAX. About 20 minutes of the film was in 3-D which was great. Especially the scene with the airplane. Go see it in an IMAX theatre if you can. It's well worth it.

Great movie. :up:
Sades

Post by Sades »

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Which, I guess, means that I don't really hate Supes... I just love poking fun at the bastard.

I'm seeing Pirates 2 first, though. :o
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!