The big eBay issues thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Denyer
I think eBay's moving slowly towards gallery pictures being compulsory (without them, buyer experience is less --> Christmas push)

Indeed. I generally avoid auctions that don't have pictures, as it's bad for business.

Misleading photos are pretty obnoxious, as well. I once bought a Cobra Rage, and when I got it, there were no stickers on it, which was pretty ****ty, since the seller had used a stock photo of a stickered Rage. It's a little thing, but what if the thing had been busted up or missing certain parts? It's not honest.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmm, that is false description, unless noted as stock photography in the listing, and it's the sort of thing people should report -- enough and eBay might take notice.

The cost (i.e. bandwidth) of gallery thumbnails are negligible to eBay, though -- I seem to recall reading that some international branches include it in the base cost of the listing, and listing prices aren't high in those locations.

eBay's being rather schizophrenic... most of the time, shop items don't come up in search results (a change from a couple of years ago) -- where there are enough auction item results for the search. The lure of eBay for buyers is bargains, and if auction sellers reduce listing, there's less for buyers to find that isn't buy-it-now prices they could often get cheaper in a brick-and-mortar store.

Unrelated question, for anyone in the US who sells but doesn't offer shipping to any international destinations... why? Or anyone who'd care to speculate as to why so many don't...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Or anyone who'd care to speculate as to why so many don't...

Big country and thus more buyers? I generally list internationally simply because it gives me a better chance of selling for a higher price... Esepcially as few seem willing to import anyway.

My biggest issue with US sellers is most of them don't have a ****ing clue about how much it costs to send something over the Atlantic.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

An extra 20% of the bidding pool just from one other country (the UK) doesn't seem worth sniffing at... and with strong currencies almost everywhere but the US, a lot of people are up for importing.

Postage... I'm not sure exactly what the situ is; it seems possible to do sane overseas postage, but I'm not sure whether any form of insurance at all is included until you get to the expensive stuff. Maybe someone could clarify?

It could simply be ignorance -- everything's automatically insured to a certain value within the UK, for example, as long as you can prove it was posted, and likewise for Airmail and surface mail.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Mmm, that is false description, unless noted as stock photography in the listing, and it's the sort of thing people should report -- enough and eBay might take notice.

Yeah, I kinda wish I'd thought about that. It was extremely cheap, so I wasn't too pissed about it (still gotta get repro decals for it, though). I don't think he'd mentioned that it was a stock photo, and I definitely know that he never mentioned a lack of stickers.

About the only thing that really ruffled me about it was that it took almost a month and a half to be delivered, which means he took his sweet time shipping it, as the usps has had a good track record in getting my packages to me either on the estimated day or a day or two later (ie, priority is usually said to be 5-9 days, or something, and most of the time, I get it on the 5th day after receiving notification from a seller/store that it's shipped, and failing that, the 6th or 7th day). He might have overcharged on shipping, too.

S'been a while, and I don't remember who the seller was, but I remember that they had at least a few of the typical problems I came accross during that period of time, when dealing with sellers (on another item, I had to email the seller to ask when they'd sent the item, and I never got a reply, but I ended up getting the item a few days later. When I checked the postmark date, it had been sent the same day that I'd sent out an mail).

It's become a rare occurrance, when I leave any sort of feedback, that is, when I actually use theifbay. Leaving a negative just nets you one in return, and by and large, I'm disatisfied with the quality of service that many sellers offer. Seems like a good deal of the so-called "power sellers" are the ones, who don't seem to give a **** about fostering repeat business.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

WARNING: VENTING/THINKING ATYPE

Argh, I hate wankers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0165831433

And received today: -
HELLO
CAN YOU CANCEL MY BID AND PURPOSE THIS ONE TO THE SECOND HIGGEST BIDDER ? BECAUSE IN FACT I HAVE EVER THIS ONE.
IN CONTRARY I WANT KEEP MY BEED ON COP TUR
LET ME KNOW
BEST REGARDS,

- lud02850
I mean, what the ****? Can I cancel your bid two days after the end of the auction? No, I ****ing can't. I mean, how the Hell do you take five days to realise you already have something (when you find a cheaper one somewhere else, I'd guess)? And the bastard wants me to let him continue to bid on something else? I mean, if he'd been all "I've lost my wallet and now have no food" I'd be a bit more sympathetic...

Argh. I have send a second chance offer to the other bloke, simply because the other chap's a nice bloke I've had plenty of dealings with. If he doesn't want, I'm going to make this **** pay up because the next highest bidder is around £2. If he doesn't want to, his chances of me sending him Cop-Tur are minimal...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Place is going downhill, certainly.

A newbie's just sent me a 128Mb MP3 player that was listed as 2Gb... leaving aside that I'll cheerfully go to the hassle of faxing stuff to PayPal, have suggested he refunds most of the price and I dump the thing in a charity shop. Only ~ a fiver, but it's preferable to leaving idiots free to mislead, even if a genuine mistake...
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Has anyone in the UK lost items (i think) due to the recent postal strike ??

So far I am down a KO Ramhorn,a KO Bruticus,a wst Starscream and a mint Tailgate
Does anyone know if they are still clearing backlogs or are they probably gone forever.
i just hope the sellers are not using the strike as an excuse for keeping the items to resell at a later date
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm not certain... a few things I sold haven't been response-feedbacked yet, but no buyers have contacted to inquire after stuff, and a fair number of buyers just never bother to leave feedback...
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

That does my head in especially when you have left them glowing feedback as I often do and then.............nothing
I send them emails along the lines of-I left it for you play the game and one guy mailed me back to say "sorry I dont believe in feedback"WTF???
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I mean, what the ****? Can I cancel your bid two days after the end of the auction? No, I ****ing can't. I mean, how the Hell do you take five days to realise you already have something (when you find a cheaper one somewhere else, I'd guess)? And the bastard wants me to let him continue to bid on something else? I mean, if he'd been all "I've lost my wallet and now have no food" I'd be a bit more sympathetic...

Argh. I have send a second chance offer to the other bloke, simply because the other chap's a nice bloke I've had plenty of dealings with. If he doesn't want, I'm going to make this **** pay up because the next highest bidder is around £2. If he doesn't want to, his chances of me sending him Cop-Tur are minimal...

You should file a non-paying bidder report, or whatever they call it and cancel his bid on Cop-Tur, if it's not not too late. Probably ban him from your auctions, too.
Originally posted by martyboy70
That does my head in especially when you have left them glowing feedback as I often do and then.............nothing
I send them emails along the lines of-I left it for you play the game and one guy mailed me back to say "sorry I dont believe in feedback"WTF???

Now, that's not right. If someone's done a good job, they deserve positive.

If I don't leave feedback, generally, the people don't contact me, since they know why I haven't left it, and if they did email me, I'd tell them why they didn't get feedback, and warn them that I'll have to leave a negative.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
You should file a non-paying bidder report, or whatever they call it and cancel his bid on Cop-Tur, if it's not not too late. Probably ban him from your auctions, too.

Now, that's not right. If someone's done a good job, they deserve positive.

If I don't leave feedback, generally, the people don't contact me, since they know why I haven't left it, and if they did email me, I'd tell them why they didn't get feedback, and warn them that I'll have to leave a negative.

At the mo I'm purely a buyer almost everything I buy is Paypalled within the hour of winning it and if I then leave feedback along the lines of "Fast delivery in good packaging item as described WDWA EXCELLENT EBAY SELLER" I dont think its too much to ask for a "good Ebayer" or something similar in return.
Ebay UK are doing free listings for 1st time sellers so due to new flat(apartment) and baby on the way in December some of my collection of 1:18 scale diecast cars will be making their way on tomorrow and I just hope I get good feedback for my sales.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Has anyone in the UK lost items (i think) due to the recent postal strike ??

To be honest I avoided buying or selling for the duration. Which is a shame as I've now missed the boat on selling my Prisoner boxset before the new one came out... Bloody Royal Mail.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mine's sorted itself out... I did the 2nd chance offer and only ended up 20p down. I'll just take my time sending the bloke's Cop-Tur. Especially as he's not hurrying to pay for that either. If he does muck me around, I have two things to leave feedback etc. on.

As for the strike, they do seem to be working through stuff in a strange way. I received stuff sent a day or so after the thing ended in the usual, if not less, amount of time, and then stuff sent close to it arrive after a week or so. Speaking to other ebayers, some of it is still shaking out.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Aparently how it works is that different parts of the system are shut down at different times- so if you're lucky your parcel can go straight through in the normal way, if not it sits in a post box for two days, a sorting room for two more ect.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

At the mo I'm purely a buyer almost everything I buy is Paypalled within the hour of winning it and if I then leave feedback along the lines of "Fast delivery in good packaging item as described WDWA EXCELLENT EBAY SELLER" I dont think its too much to ask for a "good Ebayer" or something similar in return.
Ebay UK are doing free listings for 1st time sellers so due to new flat(apartment) and baby on the way in December some of my collection of 1:18 scale diecast cars will be making their way on tomorrow and I just hope I get good feedback for my sales.

Well, now that's just plain being a douche. If you've paid right away, they should give you positive feedback, especially if you've left it for them. I also don't get the waiting for the buyer's feedback, if they've all ready got their money. Aside from a situation, like Clffjumper's, where someone's all ready jerked him around with an auction, it should be common courtesy to leave feedback as quickly as possible, when payment is received.
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Mine's sorted itself out... I did the 2nd chance offer and only ended up 20p down. I'll just take my time sending the bloke's Cop-Tur. Especially as he's not hurrying to pay for that either. If he does muck me around, I have two things to leave feedback etc. on.

Well, glad to hear the auction worked out. Hopefully, he won't try the same thing with Cop-Tur.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

My seller went for the suggestion. Now to find a charity shop or kid who'd appreciate the darn thing...

Apparently confusion arose from skimming the instructions (which lists capacity "32Mb to 2Gb") rather than reading the sticker that's on the actual device.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Denyer's charity knows no bounds.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Oh, it's mercenary enough -- making a PP claim involves digging a dial-up modem out of the components pile to send a fax, plus mailing stuff back* via a provable route, and may or may not get you anything back. The only reason to do it over a small item is to stop other people getting similar treatment from the same seller and/or vindictiveness.

*If you're claiming for damage of, say, something electrical you also need a professional opinion of the repair costs, signed, with contact details, etc.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=018

^ Whaddaya reckon the odds are of the seller having disappeared off the virtual map? Just sent a query asking when they were sent...