LOST season 3 [Ongoing spoilerrific discussion thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Nevermore

LOST season 3 teasers! NEW SCENES! Spoilers!

Post by Nevermore »

15 seconds teaser with brand new footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_MVx8sWjUg

75 seconds teaser scene, followed by another minute's worth of a teaser mostly consisting of old footage but containing some brief glimpses at brand new scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hABzxZSVnL0

UPDATE: Discussion about episode 1 is now on! Please put anything regarding the second episode into spoiler tags until the episode has aired.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Fixed the second link.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Good enough. Can't wait for it, even though I didn't really like the second half of season 2.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

The show has to disappoint me yet. :)
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Season 1 was amazing with the exception of some episodes in the middle.

Season 2 had me on the edge of my seat for the first 6-7 episodes but afterwards it got a bit dissapointing. It sucks that they gave the old couple a flashback episode but Libby got none.

Funny thing is, Season 2 hasn't even aired in Greece yet. It starts next week I think. What's the airing status in Germany?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Season 2 has aired on Premiere (pay TV channel), and the first two episodes just started airing on Pro Sieben (free TV) this Monday (Austrian TV is currently one episode aheard of us).
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Originally posted by Knightdramon
Season 2 had me on the edge of my seat for the first 6-7 episodes but afterwards it got a bit dissapointing. It sucks that they gave the old couple a flashback episode but Libby got none.

(Sort of possible Season 2 SPOILERS, if you haven't seen it yet)

For a while, I was suspicious that she was one of the Others beause of that lack of flashback ep. And I was sure that they wouldn't killl her off without revelaing her story - otherwise, what's the point?

Still, I believe it's the only currently-produced fictional TV series I regularly watch at this point, and it still mostly pays off for me. Not checking out the spoliers, but looking forward to the premiere (on my wife's birthday, as it happens).
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

The producers said Libby's story would be revealed through flashbacks from other people, such as Desmond.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'm excited for the new season now that I'm all caught up (started watching the show on DVD the week of the season 2 finale), and I really hope they do more with Charlie this season to either vindicate or condemn his visions.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

No need to mark anything as spoilers for me, seen it all.

Btw, Desmund looks remarkably similiar to my french teacher, only a bit younger. I really hope he's around in season 3.

What I disliked in mid-season two and towards the end was how they screwed up most characters and erased most of the development they've got. Saywer started acting all cocky again, Charlie sort of flipped, Michael and Jin sort of lost their appeal and the list goes on.

How long do you think this show will be? At first it was supposed to be one season, then it got elongated and I'm pretty sure we'll see a season 4.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I've heard everything from" five seasons" to "seven seasons". All I hope is that the producers do indeed have some sort of master plan (they claim they always have an answer ready when they raise a new question; for example the hatch was apparently planned to be there from the beginning, and they knew what was supposed to be inside as soon as they introduced the hatch; and so on). After all, as they said themselves, shows like "X-Files" or "Twin Peaks" where the answers are made up as the show progresses ended up as big letdowns. So I hope they will eventually give us satisfying answers.

And yeah, I was kinda disappointed by Charlie's and Sawyer's un-development in "Fire + Water" and "The Long Con", respectively, as well. I hope we won't end up with garbage like Alias season 4 gave us ("Sloane is a slimy bastard!" - "No, he has a good heart after all!" - "No, he's just pretending!" - "No, it's all just a ploy to lure the real villains!" - "No, he's slimy after all!").
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Originally posted by Nevermore

And yeah, I was kinda disappointed by Charlie's and Sawyer's un-development in "Fire + Water" and "The Long Con", respectively, as well. I hope we won't end up with garbage like Alias season 4 gave us ("Sloane is a slimy bastard!" - "No, he has a good heart after all!" - "No, he's just pretending!" - "No, it's all just a ploy to lure the real villains!" - "No, he's slimy after all!").

I haven't watched alias [not airing here] but that scenario hauntigly reminded me of Charmed seasons 3-4. "Cole is an evil demon"-"No Cole is part human he's good"-"Now Cole helps us"-"Now he doesn't"-"Now he can't fight anymore"-"Now he's the devil"-"Now he's not possesed anymore"-"Now he's a super demon and good"-"Now he turns bad again"

Back to Lost-so far most things that raised a question mark in season 1 have been answered in a satisfactory way in season 2. Except from some things I think were overlooked in season 2 (Desmund claimed he didn't know what he was running from, yet in his flashbacks it's clear he got a clue that something was wrong).
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Yeah, Desmond not bothering to tell anyone what would happen if the button is not pushed in time was kinda stupid. Also, when he first confronts Locke he asks when the plane crashes and then thinks for a moment as if he was comparing the time span given with something he remembered happening around that time.

And then, in the season 2 finale, he asks Locke for the date the plane crashed, as if he had never made that connection before.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I dunno, I always see people bitching about Charlie becoming a dick, but I didn't think it was out of character considering the way Locke and everyone else was treating him.

Sawyer, I did hate to see revert. Not because I think he needs to be a good guy, but because it just wasn't organic.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Season 4 of Alias was kwal. It hinges on not believing Sloane for a second. And accepting that the entire program is a ludicrously contrived series of plot twists and untwists. It's utter rubbish, but it's fantastically compelling rubbish. You can't seriously expect me to believe that you thought for a moment that he's actually reformed?

I'm yet to see season 5, but I can hazard what I reckon is a pretty good guess at where it's going...

Anyway, on the main topic...

Lost season 2 was great stuff. The only bits that particularly bugged me were the premonitions (Charlie and Eko's dreams in particular). I can cope with Charlie's... but Eko's (in the same way as Locke's vision of Boone's death) take it further away from the [relatively] realistic grounding the series has generally tried to maintain, and pushes it into the realm of the supernatural. Whereas I like the fact that, for the large part, all the weird phenomena have a fairly plausible explanation. Once it enters the realms of proper fantasy, it's going to lose that.

But I'm def looking forward to season 3, especially as we're promised all new character flashbacks, so won't have to worry so much about getting bored to death by Jin, Sun and Jack anymore.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Season 4 of Alias was kwal. It hinges on not believing Sloane for a second. And accepting that the entire program is a ludicrously contrived series of plot twists and untwists. It's utter rubbish, but it's fantastically compelling rubbish. You can't seriously expect me to believe that you thought for a moment that he's actually reformed?

Not for a second, and it bugged the hell out of me that they were putting so much effort into trying to convince me otherwise, only to pull the "HA FOOLED YA NEVER WOULD'VE GUESSED THAT UH?" stunt way too often for my tastes.
I'm yet to see season 5, but I can hazard what I reckon is a pretty good guess at where it's going...

Season 5 sucks for other reasons than season 4. Season 4 was mostly "let's go back to the season 1 status, oh wait we need to get forward with the character, no we need to get back" nonsense. Season 5 is more straightforward in its deconstruction of characters the viewer has grown to love (or hate).
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Originally posted by Nevermore
I've heard everything from" five seasons" to "seven seasons". All I hope is that the producers do indeed have some sort of master plan (they claim they always have an answer ready when they raise a new question; for example the hatch was apparently planned to be there from the beginning, and they knew what was supposed to be inside as soon as they introduced the hatch; and so on). After all, as they said themselves, shows like "X-Files" or "Twin Peaks" where the answers are made up as the show progresses ended up as big letdowns. So I hope they will eventually give us satisfying answers.

After leaving the show, David Fury claimed that the Lost producers didn't have a master plan. But, it does seem pretty clear that they have some idea of what they're doing, unlike their work on Alias - I stopped watching around the time it became apparent they had NO clue where they were going on there... (I did check out a few of Amy Acker's eps, though.) I wouldn't be surprised if Fury was just out of the loop - could be one of the reasons he left, even.

Knightdramon - that Cole on Charmed remark drew a nod of agreement from me. I had a hard time forgiving that show after they so completely fouled up that character. (His appearance in the 150th [?] episode did repair a little bit, at least.)

I'm not sure that the Sawyer thing is necessarily quite the same, though. The way that it ended up reading to me is that Sawyer saw how close he was getting to people, how comfrotable people were becoming with him. And his serious self-loathing and other issues made that just too difficult for him to deal with. So he took an action which both proteced and elevated himself and ensured that people distrusted and maybe even hated him again - putting him back in his comfort zone. I was surprised initially by what he did; and they could still take him in a way contrary to character progression - I'm just not sure they've necessarily done so yet.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by Brendocon

Lost season 2 was great stuff. The only bits that particularly bugged me were the premonitions (Charlie and Eko's dreams in particular). I can cope with Charlie's... but Eko's (in the same way as Locke's vision of Boone's death) take it further away from the [relatively] realistic grounding the series has generally tried to maintain, and pushes it into the realm of the supernatural. Whereas I like the fact that, for the large part, all the weird phenomena have a fairly plausible explanation. Once it enters the realms of proper fantasy, it's going to lose that.

Ever since their pilot was killed by a giant monster in the...er...pilot, I never thought the show was trying to stay realistic, though I realize now the monster is probably a man-made machine. Stuff like Walt summoning animals and communicating via telepathy/astral projection/something else have made me consider the show as proper fantasy since the beginning.