calling all x men experts

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

X-Men expert on his way...
D'oh! I was too late.

------------------

This is how Santa will see if you have been a nice person this year.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I haven't actually read Infinity Gauntlet yet, I've read Infinity War and I can quite happily live without seeing Thanos or Warlock ever again. What a pile of poo...

To be honest, I have a soft-spot for anythign with Sunfire in it...

------------------

Please visit my site, The Transformers Database and visit the totally alive, kicking and far-out Message Board!

"Another day out with the boys - just me, Chaos and Mayhem - I love this job!"
"I'm Godzilla, you're Tokyo!"
"You haven't been where I have at all, so who are you to judge?"
"What am I, an idiot magnet?"
"Just remember kid, I'm not teachin' you this so you can go out an' kill people - I'm teaching you this to keep ya alive."
Walk a mile in my shoes, then criticise the way I am.
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper:
I haven't actually read Infinity Gauntlet yet, I've read Infinity War and I can quite happily live without seeing Thanos or Warlock ever again. What a pile of poo...

To be honest, I have a soft-spot for anythign with Sunfire in it...

Infinity War is quite a weak performance, but I consider Gauntlet to be good. You should try it.

Sunfire? But he's arrogant, unfriendly and... oh, nevermind.

------------------
(MESSAGE FROM TRANSLATION COMPUTER: INCOMING MESSAGE EXTREMELY UNORTHODOX IN COMPOSITION.
TRANSLATION INCLUDES MANY LINGUAL BEST-FITS. FOR CLARITY, BEST-FITS ARE DENOTED BY ASTERISK PAIRS.
OVERALL ACCURACY OF TRANSLATION: UNKNOWN.
(MESSAGE BEGINS...)

*Dangerous* is not the way! Orz are happy *fun* days all the time.
*Silly cow* is so strange Orz think.
Next *silly cow* are *dissolving* and no more word making in *slow time*.
Then *happy days* are here again.
cosmotron
Protoform

Post by cosmotron »

the infinity gauntlet was quite good.
course the whole cosmic gods, myth gods, cosmic beings at times was hard to understand and ,made my head hurt, trying to sort it all out
but all in all, it was a good story
x tinction agenda was ok, but the art really annoyed me

------------------
EXPERIENCE IS THE BENCHMARK OF MATURITY

[This message has been edited by cosmotron (edited 12-09-2001).]
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Yeah the Gaulent was pretty good reading.
War and crusade fall under week sequals.

------------------
One great website.
Thanks to Skywarp-again for the pic below.

I wonder....
Hound

Post by Hound »

Ok I'm gonna make my mistake first and disagree with Cliffy in my first paragraph. Heroes Reborn and related storylines were poor. The stories were rushed the art teams were sporadic and the books suffered the typical Image Comics lateness. They tried to pack as many different characters into the books as quickly as possible in an effort to reinvent the characters. When you can sit down and read the first 5 issues of Avengers HR in 15 minutes and you've spent $12, that's a waste. You can go see a good movie for less than that. Heroes Return, totally forgetable, nothing interesting happened in it.

Now on to Xmen.....
Phoenix Saga, probably the best story that Claremont or Byrne have or ever will write, it took away the heart and soul of that team. I don't care what anyone says, Jean and Scott are THE heart of that team, always will be. It's my belief that Scott and Jean overshadowed the newer characters and so were removed so that they could do stories that dealt more heavily on the others.

What came from and followed Dark Phoenix saga were the creation of some of the coolest villians in Marvel Comics. The Hellfire Club, The Brood, Proteus, Apocalypse, Sabertooth, Mr. Sinister, Shadow King and Mystique's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. If you think about it the events that occured in the Dark Phoenix Saga are at the root of a great many memorable Xmen stories that have been told since.

Lets see, the next big story would be Mutant Massacre, I believe. Not bad, not great. Psylocke joined, a lot of Morlocks died and the Marauders first appeared.

Next was Fall of the Mutants. Good story, The Xmen die and get ressurected. This allowed the book to go in a whole new direction they abandoned the mansion moved to Australia and sort of did their own thing for awhile.

After that Inferno, one of my faves. It got rid of Madeline Pryor, who should have never been created IMO. It really showed how most of the characters really felt about eachother. It also showed how deep the rivalry between Scott and Alex went and how much Alex really wanted to be like Scott.

After that I think is where the team becomes chaotic and some appear to die the rest disband and go through the siege perilous and the Shadow King becomes the subplot for awhile. Gambit is introduced and Rogue's psyche is fixed.

Which brings me to, Xtinction Agenda, another Fave. Cool villian, truly evil. It really was all about what this book is all about.

After that they brought back Prof X. and then the original 5. Introed Bishop, the Blue and Gold Teams, Collosus' Brother and killed Magneto.

Next was Xcutioner's Song. It was alright. it cleared up a bunch of Cable baggage and created a whole bunch more all at the same time.

After that I think was Fatal Attractions. Ok story, it was the start of a lot of very poor subplots later on though. Like Joseph and Wolverine's Adamantium, they milked that subplot for every dollar they could get.

Next was Generation Next and Phalanx Covenant. They were ok. It started Generation X which was a very good book while Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachala were on it.

After that is Age of Apocalypse. The best story IMHO. This story was beautiful. Every book was cool. The new villians were awesome and only one lame character came from it, Xman, but Blink offsets that cause she was just awesome. That was the best this franchise got and it's all down hill after this.

The only memorable story after that was Onslaught. Good story, amazingly powerful and evil villian.

After that the books turned to crap and I didn't even bother to finish Zero Tolerance. I got tired of the abuse of my favorite comic characters and stopped reading Xbooks at a time when I was reading every single one of them. I have a rather huge collection of Xmen comics, any and every Xmen related comic that came out after Giant-sized Xmen #1, and I've sworn to never start collecting again. I did however pick up the first issues when Grant Morrison and Joe Casey took over but I found that the characters were too different from the ones that loved and couldn't enjoy the story.

It saddens me a great deal and I seriously doubt I'll ever start collecting an Xtitle ever again.

Anyway, there's my two cents

Thanks,
Hound

------------------
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm in the kinda mood at the mo that if it wasn't for the fact this account'd get wiped, I'd register as Sunfire. I just like the ever-so-slightly obscure superhero syndrome! Sunfire, Union Jack, Hawkeye, The Swordsman - all heroes, all about as well-known as the location of Bin Laden...

------------------

Please visit my site, The Transformers Database and visit the totally alive, kicking and far-out Message Board!

"Another day out with the boys - just me, Chaos and Mayhem - I love this job!"
"I'm Godzilla, you're Tokyo!"
"You haven't been where I have at all, so who are you to judge?"
"What am I, an idiot magnet?"
"Just remember kid, I'm not teachin' you this so you can go out an' kill people - I'm teaching you this to keep ya alive."
Walk a mile in my shoes, then criticise the way I am.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Hound
...I seriously doubt I'll ever start collecting an Xtitle ever again.
:eyebrow:

-bump-

Yeah, I'm so bored that I found the oldest post of mine that still exists on the Archive and posted...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

God, I used to like Hidden Years... proof that I only scan read them first time around... Thankfully I still more or less stand my ground on everything else I said...
Hound

Post by Hound »

Yeah I think there are one or two opinions I'd change in my post there too...
Risk
Protoform

Post by Risk »

Thats a lot of X-Men opinions there. Got into X-Men just before Age Of Apocalypse (i.e. Phalanx Covenant), loved it, left reading X-Men around the end of Operation: Zero Tolerance. I thought Onslaught was a good sotyr, but the consequences of the whole thing was a bit unnecessery, most of it smelt like £££ or $$$ to the men in suits, I mean was it really necessary to restart Avengers, FF, Captain America and Iron Man? Think I have read all of Inferno, could be mistaken, can't remember half of it. The other older crossovers like Fall Of The Mutants, Mutant Massacre, Phoenix Saga have not read all parts. Read all of X-Cutioners Song, from what I remember was quite good, but then I got them when I was in the phase of wow X-Men is really good.

Starting to get back into X-Men, trying not to, at the moment reading Agent X and Weapon X, Exiles might soon be on the list (another unnecessery title). Also collect Storm Riders and Rajin Comics.
God Of Gamblers
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Risk
I mean was it really necessary to restart Avengers, FF, Captain America and Iron Man?

Yes to at least 2 of the 4. Iron Man had teen Tony Stark, and F4 was really a needlessly overcomplicated book at the time... Avengers also had a lot going on that needed to be wiped as well, what with Proctor, the Crossing, Thor etc... Cap was the only one that was really going on all cylinders...

Oh, and Exiles might be unecessary, but it's ****ing great...
Risk
Protoform

Post by Risk »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Yes to at least 2 of the 4. Iron Man had teen Tony Stark, and F4 was really a needlessly overcomplicated book at the time... Avengers also had a lot going on that needed to be wiped as well, what with Proctor, the Crossing, Thor etc... Cap was the only one that was really going on all cylinders...

Oh, and Exiles might be unecessary, but it's ****ing great...

Ok I don't really know about Avengers etc... but it just seemed at that time every title and their spinoffs were restarting bar X-Men.

Yes Exiles is good, hence why I'm tempted to get a standing order, managed to bag 1-20 except 6 & 18 in the last week. Just have to read them, well I read #1 which was good, Blink is a good character.

Read Agent X #1 thought it was quite amusing, starting to like Deadpool now, so trying to hunt them down.

Weapon X is intriguing.

Been starting to collect Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates which I could do without (not enough money for everything). Stories are nice though.
God Of Gamblers
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Personally, I thought Weapon X was a damn poor book...
Risk
Protoform

Post by Risk »

Was or is? The current one.
God Of Gamblers
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The current one... I've only read #1 & #2, so I suppose through some kind of reality warp it could not be bad now... NOT the AoA one, which rawked... The concept for the new one is lifted from the last series of Alpha Flight, which was rubbish anyway [super-team being manipulated by shady government], the characters are incredibly uninteresting [Wildchild killed the last two regular books he was on, Aurora is a bit one (well, two) note, there's a clear reason why noone took Marrow back to the X-Men (she sucks)...]... It's just a very dodgy book, feels very mid-90s, right down to giving Creed the cover for #1 when he's barely in it... Okay, so I've only read the first 2. But I'm not going to piss more money down the drain to find out whether it's got any better...
Risk
Protoform

Post by Risk »

No. 1 was the one I read. Didn't read last Alpha Flight. Mid-90's was kinda when I started readin X-Men books, I think.
God Of Gamblers