iPod Video

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

iPod Video

Post by CounterPunch »

So, my 6 gig iPod has taken a massive beating over the years I've had it, and its beginning to go wrong (and dont get me started on the fact the hd isnt big enough)

So I'm thinking of upgrading to an 80 gig iPod video (either than or an Archos, but I dont think the Archos would be suitable for a walk about and listen thing)

How does the video option on the iPod work? Do you add them to the video section in iTunes and then drag? (the same as music), can it only play certain file types (such as .mov since its from the apple w*nkers) and will it convert video files of another type to play on the iPod?
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Actually, the new iPods, you don't even have to click and drag, it automatically syncs your music and video library in there. Unfortunately, it can only play Mpeg-4 and .mov video types.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

There are programs out there that convert any file including DVDs to mp4 format to put on your video i-pod. I love my video iPod. Freakin' great. Not to mention, you can play the games on it to like Texas Holdem, Sudoku, Ms. Pacman and more!
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

What are these programs?
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Originally posted by Ravage
What are these programs?

Terrible, you can do a search for iPod converter or DVD ripper on Google, but unless you pay like $30, they put a huge watermark on the video, or cut the length short.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

I love my video iPod, but I haven't used it for video once yet, nor do I intend to; I just like the increased space for music. The screen is so small that I'd much rather watch such videos on my computer or TV. Unless you're a person who does a great deal of traveling on planes or trains, there's very little use for the video feature, unless you're in the market for a headache from squinting.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by tahukanuva
Terrible, you can do a search for iPod converter or DVD ripper on Google, but unless you pay like $30, they put a huge watermark on the video, or cut the length short.

This program is free and is absolutely catch-free (as in, no watermarks). Definitely your best option.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
This program is free and is absolutely catch-free (as in, no watermarks). Definitely your best option.

I want to have your children.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I do quite alot of travelling etc, and I have money, so itll be nice for me to watch some scrubs or something on it.

Video is only the secondary feature for me, something I want there if I wanted to watch something on there, if I wanted it to be a video centric thing I would go for the Archos
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Quick question,

I was looking on Ebuyer and the Ipod Video 80gig Black is 60 quid more than the White version, does anyone know a reason for this?
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

'Cause the black looks better. I'm 99% sure that there's no real difference except color.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

There's no difference beyond the color, and the fact that the black variety seems a tad harder to find. I think Apple ran equal production of black and white and didn't anticipate that one would be far more popular than the other.
When I shopped around for mine, I had to hit 3 different stores before I found one with a black 30 GB in stock - all others had white only.
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

I so now must convert all my episdoes of Transformers.
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

So you can finally watch them on a much tinier screen? :p
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

If I were going to go for a mp3 player capable of playing videos, I'd probably go for a Zune instead of the Video iPod. If music's really your only concern though, definitely stick with an iPod.