Favourite Song Covers

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
User avatar
electro girl
Articles: 0
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:38 pm
Location: Robot Republic of Yorkshire.
Contact:

Post by electro girl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:04 pm

Time of your life- Greenday
Thats not my name- Dizee Rascal (In fact most live lounge stuff I love Radio1)
White and nerdy- Weird Al Yankovich.

TWO SPOONS DAVE SPOONS!
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!

User avatar
Halfshell
Articles: 0
Posts: 19167
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 am
Location: Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Contact:

Post by Halfshell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:25 pm

electro girl wrote:Time of your life- Greenday
The original being by whom?

User avatar
electro girl
Articles: 0
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:38 pm
Location: Robot Republic of Yorkshire.
Contact:

Post by electro girl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Halfshell wrote:The original being by whom?
How should I know it was on radio 2 with Terry Wogan and that other one on radio 2 who sounds a bit like Terry Wogan but he isnt he just sounds like him.

I dont listen to radio 2 exept for Russel Brand, it was on in the kitchen while my mum was doing kitchen things with whisks and whathaveyou and that round bit of blue and orange fire thats on top the thing where you open the door and out comes chicken or those little christmas decorations that you make in nursery school when your 3 but you cant eat the dough NO! you never eat the dough because its got salt in and knives and other stuff that children shouldnt eat, now go and play in the sand while they cook then you can give them to your parents who feel obligated to hang this god awful lump in their house and they saw oh yes electro girl made that at nursery school yes he's very talented and we'll throw it away soon and say its broke so we dont hurt his feelings.

(breathes)
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!

Cliffjumper
Articles: 0
Posts: 32206
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:00 am

Post by Cliffjumper » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:47 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Ridda ... ur_Life%29

It's not actually a cover at all. Neither's White and Nerdy.

Seriously, do you actually understand what this topic is about?

We're talking about these. You're talking about... **** knows.

User avatar
electro girl
Articles: 0
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:38 pm
Location: Robot Republic of Yorkshire.
Contact:

Post by electro girl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:15 pm

I do understand and I honestly thought that it was a cover because I heard it the radio and said 'This dosent sound like Greenday, did they cover it?' To wich my dad says 'Yes they did'. Its an honest mistake.

And if you think about it White and nerdy is kinda a cover even if its a parody and I think people have nominated Weird Al in this thread anyway.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!

User avatar
secretcode
Articles: 0
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:50 pm
Contact:

Post by secretcode » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Parody =/= Cover. I nominated "Bohemian Polka" for one reason. It's basically a sped up version of "Bohemian Rhapsody". Weird Al did not change the words at all.

More songs:
"99 Red Balloons"- Goldfinger (I actually like this one better than the original)
"Bohemian Rhapsody"- Guns N' Roses/Elton John
"Devil Went Down To Georgia"- Steve Ouimette
"Heart Shaped Box"- Evanescence
"Baby Got Back"- Jonathan Coulton
Image
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32

User avatar
Halfshell
Articles: 0
Posts: 19167
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 am
Location: Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Contact:

Post by Halfshell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:19 pm

electro girl wrote:I do understand and I honestly thought that it was a cover because I heard it the radio and said 'This dosent sound like Greenday, did they cover it?' To wich my dad says 'Yes they did'. Its an honest mistake.
No, An Honest Mistake was by The Bravery. Do keep up.

User avatar
zigzagger
Articles: 0
Posts: 3443
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:40 am

Post by zigzagger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Ziggy Stardust by Bauhaus - though their version isn't really that much different from the original, in my opinion.

Experiment in Terror by Fantomas - As in this tune, but with lyrics. Just wonderful.

Can't think of any others that I am fond of at the moment, but I know there's more. There just has to be.

User avatar
electro girl
Articles: 0
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:38 pm
Location: Robot Republic of Yorkshire.
Contact:

Post by electro girl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:49 am

Halfshell wrote:No, An Honest Mistake was by The Bravery. Do keep up.
Ah yes but was it a cover? I just dont know anymore my confidence has been shaken by this Greenday fiasco.:(
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!

User avatar
Prowl1984
Articles: 0
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:29 am
Location: What would Deadpool do?

Post by Prowl1984 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Simple Man- deftones covering Lynyrd Skynyrd (or however the hell it's meant to be spelt)= best cover period.

Hurt- Johnny Cash covering NIN = second best cover ever...period.

Faith- Limp Bizkit
Image

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:

User avatar
Ackula
Articles: 0
Posts: 3679
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:34 am
Location: CA
Contact:

Post by Ackula » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Down In The Park (Gary Numan) - Marilyn Manson
Must Have Been Those Pills I Took (Those Poor Bastards) - Hank III
Red Hot (Motley Crue) - Vondur
Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath) - Type O Negative
Hybrid Moments (Misfits) - Lefthand Solution
Day The earth Caught On Fire (Balzac) - Misfits
Image

User avatar
Hawkeye
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 2894
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:06 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada.

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:24 pm

whiskey in the jar is a traditional irish song. thin lezzy also "covered" it. sure metallica did a version close to the thin lizzy arrangement and in fact cited them in garage inc. its still not a cover in the sense of the word.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*

User avatar
inflatable dalek
Articles: 0
Posts: 23996
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:15 pm
Location: Kidderminster UK

Post by inflatable dalek » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Hawkeye wrote:whiskey in the jar is a traditional irish song. thin lezzy also "covered" it. sure metallica did a version close to the thin lizzy arrangement and in fact cited them in garage inc. its still not a cover in the sense of the word.
Nothing beats the version the genuinely Oirish pub band did in our towns genuinely Oirish (it has green tiles on the wall) pub the other week.

User avatar
CounterPunch
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 5:00 am
Location: What?
Contact:

Post by CounterPunch » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:43 pm

Hawkeye wrote:whiskey in the jar is a traditional irish song. thin lezzy also "covered" it. sure metallica did a version close to the thin lizzy arrangement and in fact cited them in garage inc. its still not a cover in the sense of the word.
Surely it is, even if the origin of the song is from before the Thin Lizzy version I presume Thin Lizzy created the musical arrangement that backed the lyrics in the song. Metallica then covered that specific arrangement.

User avatar
Hawkeye
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 2894
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:06 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada.

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:51 pm

yeah but thats the thing with traditional irish. every band does there own arrangement. doesnt make it a new song. newfoundland is a province steeped in irish roots. traditonal newfoundland folk music is very similar in stylings to traditional irish in the same way "waltzing matilda" is actually an australian song. anyway to make a long story short walk into one of the dozens of irish pubs downtown and any random band would be playing their rendition of this song.

but yes metallicas version is virtually the same as the thin lizzy rendition. wow ive argued pointless semantics over the internet. i don't think ive ever done that. I apologize.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*

User avatar
CounterPunch
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 5:00 am
Location: What?
Contact:

Post by CounterPunch » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:20 pm

I'm not sure why it is necessarily pointless, you say Metallicas cover is not one "in the sense of the word" whereas I think it would be.

Sure, there may have been many different musical arrangements to the song, and had Metallica done their own fresh take on the song I would understand your comment. However, they chose to use an arrangement previously created by Thin Lizzy, therefor it is surely a cover "in the sense of the world."

User avatar
Hawkeye
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 2894
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:06 am
Location: Newfoundland, Canada.

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:34 am

so i play hitching a ride by greenday except i do it in dropped d tuning. someone plays it like me they are doing a cover of my song rather than a greenday cover in drop d?
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*

User avatar
Slayer-Fan123
Articles: 0
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: South of Heaven

Post by Slayer-Fan123 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:18 am

Zudo Bug wrote:These are not strictly song covers but Wierd Al Yankovic's parodies of other peoples songs are great. Ones like Fat (Bad), Eat It (Beat It), Like A Surgeon (Like A Virgin) and Amish Paradise (Gangsta's Paradise) are all funny. I just thought he deserved a mention on a Transformers forum because he did have one of his songs in the original movie.
I love his song "Don't Want to be a Canadian Idiot"

My favorite song cover is Social D.'s Ring of fire
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User avatar
Baxter
Articles: 0
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: Nashville: Home of the Predators

Post by Baxter » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:29 am

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) Stevie Ray Vaughn
Superstition SRV again

User avatar
Springer007
Articles: 0
Posts: 1162
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:28 pm
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Contact:

Post by Springer007 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:06 am

I wish a group would redo an old song, The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans. I ask numerous groups on myspace if they have plans of redoing it (if they are into the science fiction themes), but no one has ever wanted to redo it. (Scratch that.. Just looked it up on wikipedia.org and some bands did redo it, but I guess they aren't noteworthy since no one referred me to them ever in my convoes).

The one song cover I enjoy is "Last Kiss", can't remember the original group who did it, but Eddy Veder of Pearl Jam redid a few years back.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines

Post Reply