YOUTUBE et al: official "post videos here" topic

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Sades

Post by Sades »

WTF

WTF

... I do like the song, though.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDFgX9T0 ... luZtfGuK-U

Just don't say anything, I already know is is really wrong....
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Re: Word Up
It's kind of sad how close the Korn version sounds to the original. The original one was trying to have a goofy voice. What's Korn's excuse?

Although, now that I think of it, has anyone ever seen those two bands in the same room at the same time? Hmmmmm...
Sades

Post by Sades »

Notabot wrote:Re: Word Up
It's kind of sad how close the Korn version sounds to the original. The original one was trying to have a goofy voice. What's Korn's excuse?
It's a song in Jon Davis's pitch? As a band, Korn doesn't really take themselves all that seriously. A good example (and excuse for me to post this video, cause I love this song) of that might be the video for Hold On:

(embedding disabled, but the clickthrough will take you there.)

Strawberry Switchblade=WIN, btw
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Once you've stopped trying to steal glimpses of the stunning Gaye Advert on bass, check the massive effort and concentration the drummer's having to put in.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Hadn't heard Korn's version before. Disheartened, though not really surprised, that they can't even come up with an original cover.

From 1994...

Sades

Post by Sades »

Yeah, okay. I was leaning towards argument on that one (haven't heard a whole lot of them thar "original covers" of anything that I can remember right now), but after listening I can see your point. IMO they all have their own charm.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yeah, it's not like the Korn version's a carbon copy of Gun's, but it's evident where they've taken their cue from.

I'd have expected a trashy rap-metal take on it, but instead it comes across as a tinny version of the other. Shame. Whilst I don't think there's anything wrong with doing somebody else's song in a different style*, at least make the effort to do it in a style not already tackled brilliantly. Otherwise it's just gonna make people want to listen to the other version instead.

Like, say, do it as a polka. Fairly certain nobody's done it as a polka. Have Leona Lewis cover Freak on a Leash as a polka. That'd be fun. If I could be arsed, I'd start an internet petition.

* - Though I draw the line at Radio 1's Live Lounge compilations. There's only so many times you can hear a trendy indie band "reinventing" a pop song in a "hilarious ironic fashion" before you want to destroy the country.

Still comedy gold, however.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I've got to say I'm getting pretty tired of 'ironic' covers - who were those twats who did that "Hounds of Love" one? "Oh, you've done the Hounds of Love, but slightly faster. Well done, ****o, have a Brit Award". It's not like the original's a ****ing torch song anyway. I don't mind covers that are done in a completely style to the original because someone's sat down and thought "Right, if I rearrange this and do this is this style..." that still gives you a different song and shows off someone's craft - Johnny Cash's "Hurt", Roisin Murphy's "Slave to Love", Frou Frou's "Holding Out for a Hero"... Sid's "My Way" has the get out clause that he isn't a proper singer and it's therefore genuinely hilarious.

As said above, it's the "Hey, let's take this pop song sung quite slowly by a girl and put some guitars on it and have a bloke singing!" wankery that really pisses me off. No wonder nobody remembers who these pricks are 18 months after the event...

I mean, if you're going to do musical ineptitude, make it really ****ing funny. Exhibit A, Tenpole Tudor, led by Edward Tudor-Pole. Who cannot sing. And does not let that stop him.

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:I've got to say I'm getting pretty tired of 'ironic' covers - who were those twats who did that "Hounds of Love" one?
The Futureheads. A band I can never quite make my mind up about - they've released some absolutely cracking songs, but also some utter crap. Their cover of HoL falling into the latter category. At least Razorlight eventually had the decency to become a shite band who released a few great tunes.

Even at their best, The Futureheads are still just a Diet Maximo Park.

And yeah, the "ironic" covers is what I was getting at. Yeah, it's quite amusing the first time or two but every ****er's doing it now and it's just annoying. Reason #237 why Fearne Cotton must be stopped.

Pleased to see that Placebo have finally given their Covers album a proper physical release, though.

:( I can't find a version that has the video and will let me embed :(
Sades

Post by Sades »

Well there isn't quite a polka of "Freak on a Leash", but you've just reminded me that there is a version done by Richard Cheese:

I think it's pretty entertaining- I like most Richard Cheese stuff in general, but it's kind of hit or miss.

And just for the hell of it:

Cliffy, I hope I didn't just make your head explode by posting those.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Placebo's "Running Up the Hill" - now that really, really is a ****ing excellent cover. It's a shame they've never quite got given the credit they deserve. Might have to download the covers album (hey, I ended up buying the first two discs twice, I'm due!), they strike me as a bunch of peeps who put some thought into it.

A cover I do like that I probably shouldn't is Duran's "White Lines": -

The rock v rap thing works rather well.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Just because I've posted their most-awesome version of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" in several other places.
Clay

Post by Clay »

LEGO analog calculator.

redman prime

Post by redman prime »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt92xSztpng

and that Placebo song came up on my pandora a few days ago. Great song.

EDIT: dammit, can't embed it for some reason... link is it, sorry. it's an angry baby on the slip and slide... kills me every time.
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

speaking of duran duran covers...

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOyhjL7jeiM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOyhjL7jeiM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
there's no official vid for the song so it's just a clip show, i love this cover and i love this band!!!

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

So Botcon 2010 is going to feature Stan Bush. Meanwhile, at la Convencion de los Masters del Universo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmCCmR3d2M

I like the way he fakes out the audience at the two-minute mark. Oh, but he's no one hit wonder...the guy's done a LOT of cartoon themes and such. I really like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AzF3nloRZs
Clay

Best drummer ever?

Post by Clay »