6 years is a damn long time.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Should I stay on Blaster or Sociopathic Autobot

Blaster
77%
Sociopathic Autobot
23%

Total votes: 13

Blaster

6 years is a damn long time.

Post by Blaster »

As of this month I have been posting at the Archive for the past 6 years of my life. In the past 6 years the only thing that hasn't changed is the fact that pretty much every time I open up an internet browser the first place I come to is this one. I look over the news on the main site then enter the message board. A lot has changed since I first started mind you. Complete make over of the main-site, the change of board type, the lay-out, the people who post here, my screen name, me. Other than my mom and friends this is the only place that has actually seen me change over the years (or not depending who you ask).

I found the Archive out of pure chance in the late 90s, read all the comics which because of my age I never got to do as a kid and then left for two years or so. I came back when R.I.D was about to hit the air and for some reason decided to post. My first major memory on the board was getting into a flame war with Cliffjumper because of my behavior. The funny thing was I didn't find anything he said offensive, I actually found it funny (still do). I remember started a thread in GD saying this and Reflector locked it, and I really couldn't figure out why! I think that really summed me up at the time: I didn't know any internet etiquette and I was a 15 year old brat. My next major memory was the upsetting uproar caused by 9/11.

I have a lot of memories of this place, a lot of good ones and a lot of bad ones. I remember happy things like Scout and Redstreak sparking a relationship and then really upsetting thing like Scout and Redstreak deciding they hate each other and then Redstreak drawing battle lines anywhere he could. That one always kinda bugged me since they did seem really happy at first and it just shot to **** really fast. I was also the one who brought Red to the board so we were as good as friends can get over the internet, so it really sucked as he started spiraling after that. I remember posting about my Bisexuality here when really drunk, haven't really made much mention of it in a while, but I don't think it's changed much. I remember holding a poll to see who thought I should remove the "_86" from "Blaster_86". Most voted no, but G91 got drunk and we were screwing around on here and he asked if I wanted it gone, I said yes and kinda regretted it but got over it pretty damn fast. I remember how cool the first AWF rumble was, it was so different and unexpected and it spawned one of the coolest sub-forums the Archive has ever had, it really sucks it had to die the slow death it has died. I remember how happy I was the first time I was actually quoted in someone's sig. I think it was the first time, on this board that any who I had respect for actually recognized something I said as funny or witty (It was Casper and it had something to do with becoming and Admin eventually). I remember the first big flame war over Creationism. I also remember the second, third, fourth, fifth or how ever many there were. I remember wishing I could actually get in there and argue with Sheba, but I didn't have the knowledge. So instead I just read intently what Strafe, Denyer et al were saying and unleashed it on the first christian to spout off. I remember all the roleplay threads that stemmed from the Archive building, and while it went way over-board, that is one of the funniest memories I have of this board. I think one of the coolest things was seeing everyone come together to try and get Brendocon back after he left for a short time, I remember his epiphany return thread too. I remember Brend banning me three times just for kicks, so when I got legitimately banned I was worried it would stick. When I finally blew up in one giant emo ball of angst, it started in the RPG and just spread everywhere. I was eventually given a month long temp ban, but after a week I circumvented it and created my Alt. For some reason the mods let it through. I hid who I was because I wanted a fresh start, and I kind of got one.

I think the saddest things to happen on this board where things that happened to regular posters a few have really stuck with me. Like when Starscreamsghost got hit by a drunk driver. I think everyone on the archive past and present came out for that because it was really tragic. I remember being personally elated when he posted for the first time after that. G91 first posting about his cancer was another big one. Although not recently, for a long time G91 had served to help guide me on the board and in real life, having gone through similar problems as a teenager with his family life. So that actually really upset me. Luckily moments like these have been few and far between.

In the 6 years I've been here I've also managed to do a lot, but there is still alot I wanna do here. I was one of the AWF writers, I contributed heaps to the RPG before I pretty much pissed every single mod in there off, I was one of the first people to hit 5000 posts, the old requirement for the custom rank (I remember power posting like an idiot to get there too. 100 ppd at one point). I remember watching Tempest get banned, probably one of my happiest days here! I've gained atleast some respect from people I thought would always look down on me. I never did manage to become a mod, although I think we know why. Auros still gives me hope that one day I might get in though! I think the big reason I wanted to be a mod was because I had no technical skills what so ever, so that was really the only way I could think of to contribute.

I am not really sure what else to say. I guess sorry to all the people that I've pissed off over the past 6 years. There are a lot of them and I doubt all of them will see this, but I figure in the anonymity of the internet, this is all I can do.

Also Thank you. Thank you to everyone I've befriended in the last 6 years. Thank you for putting up with all the **** and all the annoying stuff I've done. While there are a lot less of you, most of you are still around, and even if I don't talk to you as much as I used too you're all still damn great people.

So I guess this thread needs a point and this is it: No matter how long you've been here, one day or one decade, what is your greatest memory of this place? What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of it.

for me it has to be winning the AWF title. It's cheesy but that actually really made me happy, even if my first run was a complete place holder title win.

edit- also for those wondering why I made this post on this and not Sociopathic Autobot: I felt a nostalgic thread needed a bit of nostalgia. I kinda miss the old name. :)
Hound

Re: 6 years is a damn long time.

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Blaster
So I guess this thread needs a point and this is it: No matter how long you've been here, one day or one decade, what is your greatest memory of this place?
Hmmm, I think the best thing that my association with this place has brought me was going to Chicago for OTFCC and getting to meet several members and spend a a few days with them. Getting to meet Scout, Reflector, Garand, Sean, God Jinrai and Thundercracker was special. Hell, even meeting Redstreak was very... enlightening.

See I don't really have any friends that share my interest in Transformers and comics like the people here do so getting to be around those that do for even a short time was great fun for me.

There are lots more from here I'd like to meet face to face someday. I think it would be great to travel over to the UK and spend a couple of days there and meet a bunch of the posters from that side of the world.

And somehow, someway, I've got to meet Erik, Myles and Luke someday. They're all reletively close and it would be a shame if I never got to shake their hands.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Zeeks

Fond Memories of Blaster

Post by Zeeks »

1. The first person to ever flame me via the net (a distinction shared with Cliffjumper).

2. The first person that it was "ok" to horse around with in chat.

3. The only person who can match me insult for insult.

4. The only person I have ever made a sig 5 consecutive times and it still wasn't up to his standards.

5. The only person I would accept an IM via the Yahoo Messenger whose opening line was "F*** you."

6. The first person who showed me, not by words, but by action, that we really need to stop taking ourselves so seriously.

7. The first person I ever held conversation with from Canada.

8. The first person who had the most ugly, messed up avatar on Yahoo. (Marilyn Manson to the Nth degree).

9. The first person whose online poem about himself and his dad actually pulled at my heart strings.

10. The first person I ever wanted to hurt *real bad* via internet (then I learned not to take him or myself too seriously).

..........and I wouldn't have it any other way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

The first thing that comes to mind is the board switch, mostly because it changed a crap ton. Second to that comes most of the things Blaster mentioned, the rivalries, Shebas ****, AWF wars (cWo mother****ers), that guy faking his death (what was his name again? Brain fart!), Claypool, POWERPOSTING.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Be Blaster_86 again.

Haha. I remember when you tried to pretend not to be Blaster.:p
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Well you say you've changed over the years and so has your screen name. I wasn't around for all that but I've sort of figured it out since I've been here from things inferred in various posts. The only logic I can see for going back is if you feel you've somehow come full circle.

This monsters of rock commercial just came on and made me want to throw up, totally lost my train of thought.

Anyway, so fond memories? The time I spent in the rpg with my minicons. Watching Cliffy berate some idiot newbie. Stuff like that.
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

I think the real issue at hand here is:

Dear Admin people, whoever you now may be,

Please unban Claypool. He's learned his lesson.

Thank you.

And yeah, you should be Blaster_86 again. OLD SKOOL.

He was in a boy band!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Zisteau
The time I spent in the rpg with my minicons.
Come back. :)
I contributed heaps to the RPG before I pretty much pissed every single mod in there off
You never managed to really piss me off. Even though you're a Stalin-hugging Bolshevik devil. :)
No matter how long you've been here, one day or one decade, what is your greatest memory of this place?
When Flec asked me to join the RPG staff. I...well, I wasn't really surprised because I'd been in cahoots with some of the game staff for a while by then and I knew they'd been thinking about it. But I was really, really honoured to learn that they thought I was good enough to join the team, especially given how terrible I'd been when I first started out. I've seen a lot of RPG staffers come and go since then (mostly go, in recent times :() but I'll always get a nostalgic rush when I think of those days and the gang that was around back then.

I kept that PM for years, until the board software ate it a while back. :)
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

I guess I only know you from the SA account. :)
Sades

Post by Sades »

I think you should switch to Sadies_Bitch, personally... ;)

Pft, I've still been here longer. Try harder!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I remember TEH FLAMES... though I don't think it ever got massively harsh. Soon cometh the Tempest, putting it all into perspective. I do remember it being your fault that that mad bitch thought I was a racist. Well, it was her fault for being a thick mad cow, but you were there. You're a legend, B :)

I say "Blaster" has nostalgia value, but if you stay as "Sociopathic Autobot" I call you Blaster or B anyway, which makes it look like i have AWESOME INSIDE SOURCES.

I might do this London thing... I should probably meet at least one board member I'm not sleeping with (see, guarnatee of safety there) sometime. Sadly, I've booked all my holiday for the year, and am just going to have to hope it actually coincides with thinga. That said, I'm not much fun to meet, and probably a lot shorter than everyone thinks I am :)
Terome

Post by Terome »

My fondest memory of the place is way back when I spent at least a year of my life downloading the old US issues I had only read about in UK Annual recaps. They came down one JPEG at a time on an ancient, stuttery modem that dropped the line every half an hour.

I'm actually a little offended with the ease people can get all the Transformer comics on bitTorrent these days. I had to piece the whole set of 332 together page by page, dammit. That's the way comics should be illegally distributed!

Jesus, imagine if I'd been sealing envelopes or something? I'd have been a millionaire by the time I finished high school.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I should probably meet at least one board member I'm not sleeping with

... you really don't know what these meet ups involve, do you?
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I feel I've made a few friends, so that's nice.
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Doing my first trade review entirely on a whim and it getting on the site. I still get a buzz everytime one goes up simply at the thought of ones of people reading them. A few make me wince a little reading them back (especially the early one, trying far to hard to be wacky at times) but the print off of very one has pride of place on top of my olde traveling chest.

Mind, the conversations with family and friends about them are fun. "Hey, looks like you did a lotta writing there, how much did they pay?" "Oh, they don't pay, it's just for fun". "You did all that work for FREE?!?!". At which they walk off shaking their head going "Poor, poor Dalek".
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Your family call you Dalek? That explains a lot.

Oh, and I never banned Myles for kicks.

At least one of them was for a bet.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Your family call you Dalek? That explains a lot.
I also adore Brend for his special brand of bollocks.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
RID Scourge

Re: 6 years is a damn long time.

Post by RID Scourge »

I'm in a retro mood, at the moment, so Blaster gets my vote.
Other than my mom and friends this is the only place that has actually seen me change over the years (or not depending who you ask).
I've noticed that, especially in the last year. :up:
I am not really sure what else to say. I guess sorry to all the people that I've pissed off over the past 6 years. There are a lot of them and I doubt all of them will see this, but I figure in the anonymity of the internet, this is all I can do.

No worries. I had a lot of growing up to do, then.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I also adore Brend for his special brand of bollocks.

You leave my bollocks out of this.

My greatest moment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uqsPuQPmsI