Okay, so who are you supporting in Euro 2008?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

=)

Austria - someone's got to...
5%
Greece - glory-hunting gone mad!
11%
Czech Republic - always crazy
5%
Italy - yawn
11%
France - double yawn
No votes
Poland - the only home nation to make it
5%
Switzerland - erm, Toblerones? Beating up Turkey?
No votes
Spain - sooner or later they're going to have to turn up...
21%
Russia - one for the Scots/Irish/Welsh ;)
No votes
Holland - maybe they'll play Portugal
16%
Portugal - maybe they'll play Holland
No votes
Germany - their manager is a dandy!
11%
Croatia - another for the Scots/Irish/Welsh :p
5%
Romania - coke-head striker!!!!
No votes
Sweden - no, they are there, honestly...
11%
Turkey - this time they're not thugs, apparently.
No votes

Total votes: 19

Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

I'm going to support Germany. My family is part German and my girlfriend is German, so I definitely have empathy in that general direction.

I must say though, having seen the Portugal - Turkey game, I think Portugal look very, very good this year. They are my tip. /headoverheart
Wreck and Rule!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is Jonathan Pearce calling Zurawski "Magic" some sort of joke-cum-attempted coining of a nickname gone mad, or does he genuinely think that's how the name's pronounced?

Germany are looking very, very, very strong... Podolski might never move to Real Madrid for £50m, but I don't think there's a more ruthless, reliable striker out there.
Cliffjumper wrote:EDIT: And while I was watching that, it seems like Lewis Hamilton's retired due to him being a twat from the sounds of things. A good day...
And having seen the footage, am I absolutely overjoyed... ITV's attempts to put the blame on anyone and everyone else were just downright embarrassing, almost as bad as the boy's petulant attempts to claim it was just one of those things. Raikkonen really should have broken his nose.

And Kubica won! Best race weekend since they accidentally let Johnny Herbert win the Euro GP in '99.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Cliffjumper wrote:Is Jonathan Pearce calling Zurawski "Magic" some sort of joke-cum-attempted coining of a nickname gone mad, or does he genuinely think that's how the name's pronounced?
That's how his name has been pronounced by every commentator since he moved to Celtic. I'd never heard of him until then, but absolutely everyone pronounces it it Magic.

Andy
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I'm actually surprised that Podolski scored, twice even. I've seen couple of his games in Bayern in UEFA Cup in April and he didn't look good. Glad he's back in shape.
Cliffjumper wrote:Is Jonathan Pearce calling Zurawski "Magic" some sort of joke-cum-attempted coining of a nickname gone mad, or does he genuinely think that's how the name's pronounced?
That's his actual nickname, he got it after he'd moved to Celtic or even before that.

Go Kubica. :)
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ugh, i hope neither the French or Romanians qualify, that was the most dire match imaginable.

I have nothing more to add.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Don't jinx it, we haven't seen bloody Italy or the new dull Holland yet... That game was shocking, though. I mean, I sort of expected it from Romania, but France really should have been better...

What the Hell is Cantona up to this time?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ozz wrote:I'm actually surprised that Podolski scored, twice even. I've seen couple of his games in Bayern in UEFA Cup in April and he didn't look good. Glad he's back in shape.
He always seems to do well when it really matters, from what I've seen. Tidy player, very surprised a big big money side haven't got him when they're always trying to spend money on Anelka...
That's his actual nickname, he got it after he'd moved to Celtic or even before that.
Aye, the British commentator seemed to switch it for his actual name, though... I'm pretty sure he wasn't referred to as Maciej once...
Go Kubica. :)
Chance of a tilt at the title as well, Ferrari and McLaren don't seem to be able to string two good races together :)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

MikeB wrote:Ugh, i hope neither the French or Romanians qualify
Me too.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Cliffjumper wrote:Don't jinx it, we haven't seen bloody Italy or the new dull Holland yet... That game was shocking, though. I mean, I sort of expected it from Romania, but France really should have been better...

What the Hell is Cantona up to this time?
I've already seen more entertainment in the first 10 minutes of Italy vs Holland than the whole of France Romania, and it's made even better by the fact that Robben isn't there as I'd spend the entire match wanting to slap his stupid face.

I win?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Apologies for the double post, but who is this fantastic Dutch number 18 making the clever back heels and putting Van Nistelrooy through for the kind of diving opportunity Stevie Gerrard would kill for? Liverpool ought to sign him for....

Oh.

Damn.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Christ, Holland are taking them apart. I mean, sure Van Nistelrooy was basically in the net for the first one, but the Italians are looking awful...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Not that I'm complaining, but seriously... have they completely changed the offside law now or something? I could sort of understand if he was wearing grey or something (grey makes you invisible after all), but he's in bright orange for the love of dorf.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Italy look very ordinary tonight. Holland look like they could easily get another couple.

Andy
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Now that makes the group of death really interesting. I wouldn't have put money on anything other than a draw between Holland and Italy.

Andy
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

AndyTurnbull wrote:Just once it would be nice to see Switzerland involved in a game that isn't like watching paint dry.
they better give up on football than.....

ill go away now
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Christ almighty, that was a goal and a half...

EDIT: And the second counts as just a half, so that's 2-0 to Sweden...

Anyone remember all those years ago when Ljungberg was good?
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Damn that was a peach from Ibrahimovich.

Yeah Ljungberg should have called it quits when he left Arsenal I thought.

Andy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is David Lynch directing the coverage for Portugal v Czech Republic?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Riiiight. Shearer turned down the Blackburn job because of commitments to the BBC.

Uh huh. Sure it's not because he's scared that, if he turns out to be shit as a manager, he'll lose any credibility he's got as a pundit?

Can't blame him, though. Nice cushy job criticising everybody, no pressure environment... wanker.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, never in a million years was he going to take that job - tight budget, on the back of (and thus in close comparison) to someone of Sparky's talent, potential of mass player desertion... I think the Blackburn job is going to be tricky for anyone. I'd rather Shearer saved his humiliation for whenever Newcastle need someone... i.e. October.