Okay, so who are you supporting in Euro 2008?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

=)

Austria - someone's got to...
5%
Greece - glory-hunting gone mad!
11%
Czech Republic - always crazy
5%
Italy - yawn
11%
France - double yawn
No votes
Poland - the only home nation to make it
5%
Switzerland - erm, Toblerones? Beating up Turkey?
No votes
Spain - sooner or later they're going to have to turn up...
21%
Russia - one for the Scots/Irish/Welsh ;)
No votes
Holland - maybe they'll play Portugal
16%
Portugal - maybe they'll play Holland
No votes
Germany - their manager is a dandy!
11%
Croatia - another for the Scots/Irish/Welsh :p
5%
Romania - coke-head striker!!!!
No votes
Sweden - no, they are there, honestly...
11%
Turkey - this time they're not thugs, apparently.
No votes

Total votes: 19

Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

:(
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Russia would have won a bit more comfortably if a few of their players didn't dick around in front of goal. Sometimes it's just best to punt it in lads.

They do look a bit of a threat now but I still maintain germany will take the trophy.

Andy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Aye, they went a bit Arsenal for the second half, didn't they? It looked like Holland were going to really ream them for it as well. Mind, it reminded me of the Liverpool v West Ham FA Cup a few years ago - everyone gave everything for the 90 minutes, and extra time came down to who was the less shagged, basically. To be fair, though, Van der Sar (best goalkeeper in the world at the moment, maybe?) kept the score down as well, though.

I don't particularly fancy Russia against Italy, let alone Germany, TBH. Spain they'd have a chance... but the Dutch weren't as good as they have been. I wonder if resting players for the third game was that smart, really - both them and Portugal have been sluggish compared to teams who had to fight in the last game. It's a bit of a Catch-22, if Van Basten had named an unchanged team and Ruud or Sneider had got crocked, everyone would think he was an idiot, but at the same time there's something to be said for keeping up the momentum.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

****ing dutch.

still, my first pick (spain) are still there...
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

AndyTurnbull wrote:Russia would have won a bit more comfortably if a few of their players didn't dick around in front of goal. Sometimes it's just best to punt it in lads.

They do look a bit of a threat now but I still maintain germany will take the trophy.

Andy
Yep they could have had it in the bag by the hour mark if they hadnt decided their 2nd goal had to be walked into the net.
StoneCold Skywarp wrote:****ing dutch.

still, my first pick (spain) are still there...
Yes Im still feeling pretty positive VIVA ESPANA.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Surprising, but not so much, as even the first game in which the Russians were obliterated showed they are capable of great things.

Germany vs. Italy in the final looks more and more likely with each day.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Ozz wrote:Germany vs. Italy in the final looks more and more likely with each day.
Italy is missing Gattuso and Pirlo from the game against Spain. My bet would be Spain vs. Russia in quarterfinals. :)
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Welp, Italy is out. Looks like Germany is my pick to win.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Meh, I thought they are actually gonna play football, but they were basically, well, Italy. Didn't deserve it.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Ozz wrote:Meh, I thought they are actually gonna play football, but they were basically, well, Italy. Didn't deserve it.
I wasn't surprised at all, unless one counts Spain being so toothless in offence. To be honest, I was more disappointed at Spain's performance.

Italy played tactically wise and cynical match, in which they had propably the best opportunity to score. Spain getting through from penalties was a bit surprising, but for the tournament it was great. Spain-Russia rematch should be interesting.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, disappointing game... IMO Italy deserved it more for neutering the Spanish attack so well, even if they didn't play particularly well themselves. Pretty dire game - it usually is when big teams meet up, with rare exceptions... Sadly, I can see the quality tailing off for the semis and final as everyone starts getting more concerned with not losing instead of with winning. Still, Italy played for penalties and got what that sort of approach deserves.

Russia are, IMO, too dependant on Arshavin - I'm not saying the other players aren't good, because they are, but when he's on the pitch they all wait for their cue from him. I have a feeling Spain are going to give someone like Ramos or Fabregas a man-marking brief and keep him out of a game. I'd love for the Russians to beat them, though, they're the best hope for a good final.

Turkey v Germany will be dire too unless the Germans score early and Turkey have to rely on something other than their incredible stamina (where the Germans might just match them anyway).
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Cliffjumper wrote:Turkey v Germany will be dire too unless the Germans score early and Turkey have to rely on something other than their incredible stamina (where the Germans might just match them anyway).
Not exactly well succeded prediction based on the first half. :D

Turkey surprised German with their active playing, wouldn't be unfair if they were in the lead instead of 1-1. Clear tactical decision to shoot straight and hard at Lehmann's goal. No high balls as their head players aren't as strong as German defenders.

German scored from counter attack, excellent goal but to be honest they hadn't many other opportunities. Interesting to see what kind of German comes out for the second half. :up:
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Germany did not deserve to win that. They were pretty poor and it took Torsten Frings coming on to give them any semblance of life. Some shambolic goalkeeping at both ends as well.

All I can say is although Germany were my pick to win it, Lehman is there for the taking right now.

Andy
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I saw only about 2/3 of the second half. Some kind of problem (thunder storm?) in Wien(?) from where the signal was realyed to some parts of Europe. :(
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

According to the BBC pretty much the entire world lost the video feed from the game.

Andy
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

AndyTurnbull wrote:According to the BBC pretty much the entire world lost the video feed from the game.

Andy
Heads will roll in that case...
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I'd imagine so, we ended up with a red screen and the audio from radio five live in place until the picture came back and then again when the picture went a second time.

Andy
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

AndyTurnbull wrote:I'd imagine so, we ended up with a red screen and the audio from radio five live in place until the picture came back and then again when the picture went a second time.

Andy
We lost also the sound the second time. :down: Good thing I had by then looked for the radio station ready just in case...
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

The beeb are reasonably practiced at this sort of thing so we got the audio fairly quickly on both occasions. The problem being is the Five live commentators are infinitely more skilled than the BBC team of John Motson and Mark Lawrenson so it pained me when we lost them!

Andy
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

While Motty has been a shadow of his former self in this tourney and its been almost painful to listen to at times Id still take him before any other commentator-5-10 years ago he was head and shoulders above anyone else and has even been scientifically proven to be the "perfect commentator" for pitch/tone/excitability.
IIRC he has announced this will be his last major tourney and I think its a loss-Id still rather listen to him describing paint dry as 5lives Alan Green commentating on a 5-4 nailbiter as I just cant listen to his voice/style/snideyness/negativity/racism.
Lawrenson you can feed to the dogs for all I care but he will never be as bad as Scott Booth as the 2nd man on Setantas SPL coverage(Andy Im sure you know where Im coming from on this one)
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.