And Today In The Wrong Corner: Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

And Today In The Wrong Corner: Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.

Post by inflatable dalek »

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45646
Guy Ritchie has come aboard to direct Warner Bros.' Sherlock Holmes for Lionel Wigram and Dan Lin, reports Variety.

Ritchie is also working on a rewrite/polish of Tony Peckham's script, based on Wigram's upcoming comic book "Sherlock Holmes." The studio is eyeing a 2010 release.

The logline remains under wraps, but executives at Warners are aiming to reinvent Holmes and sidekick Dr. John H. Watson. Wigram's noted that the new Holmes would be more adventuresome and take advantage of his skills as a boxer and swordsman.
Now, who thought that was a good idea? Nothing wrong in principle with a younger Holmes (easy to forget he's in his twenties in A Study In Scarlet due to adaptions focusing on older actors), and yes he is supposed to be a good boxer and swordsman... But there's no way this isn't going to be crap central is there?
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

They've already done Young Sherlock Holmes, haven't they? I've got the movie on tape around here somewhere.......

There is a chance it'll be entertaining, and it depends on exactly how it's being updated(are we talking more pulp adventure style of Conan Doyle's era, or taking place now?), but it won't be all that faithful.

Hopefully, Ritchie knows that at the first "Yo, dude" uttered by Holmes will get him lynched, figuratively if not literally.....
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
inflatable dalek

Heinrad wrote:They've already done Young Sherlock Holmes, haven't they? I've got the movie on tape around here somewhere.......
Ahhh, Young Sherlock Holmes. Or Hey, Ford Doesn't Want to Do Another Indiana Jones Film Right Now So Lets Rehash Temple of Doom With Different Leads Whilst Raping A Well Loved Fictional Character At The Same Time as I like to call it.
Hopefully, Ritchie knows that at the first "Yo, dude" uttered by Holmes will get him lynched, figuratively if not literally.....
I'm pretty much of the same mind as the person on another forum who suggested the words "no shit Sherlock" are a certainty.

The real problem with new Holmes is that Brett nailed the part so perfectly there's no real need for anyone else to do it' let alone having the Mockney king direct it...
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

*sighs*

Rasil Bathbone was the 'action' movie actor... For me, Brett did the definitive of the self-absorbed intelligent manic depressive.

'spose it all depends on what this up-coming comic book is like. Anyone know? (Oh, please, not 'League of Extrordinary Gentlemen' style.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

"ele-****in'-mentary, you ****in' ****."

he is a bit type cast. I'd be curious though.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I look forward to it going head to head with the Other Sherlock Holmes film...

Starring Sacha Baron Cohen and Will Ferrell.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=22845

w00ty.
inflatable dalek

It's going to be tricky keeping track of which ones the comedy. Though at least the impedning break up of the Ritchie marriage means we can be saved her casting.

I didn't realise the character had gone public domain.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Mhm. He's in Planetary, isn't he? As himself, as opposed to analogued.

Sneaking suspicion he appears via flashback in LoEG, too.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

He's not actually named in LoEG, IIRC - it's "The Great Detective", though Moriarty and Mycroft make it blatant. Not use if that's just some vague attempt at mystery, or some sort of copyright thing... LoEG does re-date the Planetary issue, IIRC.
inflatable dalek

The article makes it seem as if he's only just gone into public domain. Since the Young Sherlock Holmes disaster the Doyle estate have kept something of a tight reign on what was done with the character (though for pure insanity the Matt Fewer TV movies with Canada doubling as Dartmoor is a insanity all of its own).

On the plus side, if he is only just out of copyright characters and concepts who didn't show up till later (Moriarty, Mycroft, even the Hound I suppose) are still covered for a few more years.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I heard a bad rumor the other day that Sacha Baren Cohen will play Holmes and that Will Ferrell will play Watson.

All I can say is "God. You there? Kill them."
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

i heard a bad rumour that Guy Ritchie is doing a version of Sherlock Holmes.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

then I assume jason statham will play sherlock? with jason flemyng as watson?
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:i heard a bad rumour that Guy Ritchie is doing a version of Sherlock Holmes.

I wouldn't listen to the person who told you that, he lies and smells faintly of wee.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Right, so it looks like Holmes in Ritchie's version has been all-but cast.

And, rather disappointingly (for those expecting it to be utter tripe), it's The Man Who Seemingly Can Do No Wrong.

Yes, that's right. Robert Downey Jr IS Sherlock Holmes.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22893

The question now is which force will prove strongest? Ritchie's hackness, or RDJ's awesomeness?
inflatable dalek

He does seem to be the go to guy for drug addicts and alcoholics doesn't he?

And anyone who's seen The Singing Detective knows it's possible for him to do wrong when it comes to classic British adaptations...
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

inflatable dalek wrote:http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45646

Now, who thought that was a good idea? Nothing wrong in principle with a younger Holmes (easy to forget he's in his twenties in A Study In Scarlet due to adaptions focusing on older actors), and yes he is supposed to be a good boxer and swordsman... But there's no way this isn't going to be crap central is there?

OK seriously who the hell is Guy Ritchie?
Clogs wrote:*sighs*

Rasil Bathbone was the 'action' movie actor... For me, Brett did the definitive of the self-absorbed intelligent manic depressive.
If you get a chance check out the 1954-1955 TV show starring Ronald Howard and Howard Marion Crawford. It had some very cool and atmospheric episodes.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:OK seriously who the hell is Guy Ritchie?
Madonna's husband.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Halfshell wrote:Madonna's husband.
Werl, if you listen to the rumour mill, maybe her ex-husband-to-be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:OK seriously who the hell is Guy Ritchie?

If you get a chance check out the 1954-1955 TV show starring Ron Howard.
Wasnt that Happy Days;)

Seriously Downey could maybe just about drag this into watchable territory.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.