Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

He's a cool little figure,isn't he? My only bugbear is the common mistaking of his costume being red and blue - its supposed to be read and black! Still, the metallic shade of blue is rather lovely, all the same.

" "There's a horrible man in black and he went through there!" Okay, Lyja? Good girl."
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I'm really liking him. I love that his hands are something other than a closed fist, meaning that you get to have him in some talon-y poses. The blue is nice, though I agree the fact that it's the wrong color entirely is frustrating; unfortunately, it's a natural consequence of the comic art, and just a fact of life.

I have been more impressed with the quality of the Hasbro Marvel Legends toys of late. When they first took over, the toy quality was all over the map, with the worst offenders being toys like the awful White Queen toy. However, having recently picked up a few select characters (my days of obsessively collecting the line having ended when the line was discontinued a couple years ago), I've been incredibly happy with them. The only issue I've had of late has been the random Groot arm I got with Nova, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I have genuinely considered hunting down the Hobgoblin BAF, as I love that costume. That's a rarity at this point, as most of the BAFs have been fairly missable.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Its the ... Phil Ulrich Hobgoblin, that isn't it? He looks pretty cool. Sadly, I don't really care for most of the figures in the wave to do the BAF.

Also: I hate BAF. I am sure at some point, I'll be able to Frankenstein a figure out of all the odd pieces of various figures I've collected over the years. Its like those Super Hero Mash Ups, only even worse.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I agree, which is why I haven't collected any of the BAFs in some time. It was one thing when they did the Sentinel and Galactus, but once they started doing the normal-sized figures in pieces, I wrote it off. The fact that they've gotten me onboard with Hobgoblin is surprising, but I certainly won't be collecting all of the figures necessary (mostly due to lack of interest, but that AntiVenom looks ****ing heinous). I figure I'll jump on eBay at some point at some point.

It is the Urich Hobgoblin, which I love, and I love the Slott Amazing/Superior Spider-man. I'll be hard-pressed not to track him down at some point.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Picked up a big Wall-E from the Pixar line to goe with Eva.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Fun with Revoltech and the base that came with that Zoids sabretooth.

http://i.imgur.com/JxeLvdS.jpg

edit: Redux...

http://i.imgur.com/0mrUXKl.jpg
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Picked up a Lego Legends Of Chima 70223 Icebite’s Claw Driller a couple of days ago, just a couple more from this theme left to go.
Destruction is my specialty
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Denyer - That photo looks great.

Lego Technic 42022 Hot Rod: This has 6 engines/pistons which I'm assuming move as the car rolls forward.

Lego Technic 42031 Cherry Picker: Something quick to build when I've only got a little time. The tow truck on the back looks alright, too, but I don't know if I'll build it. I should probably build that first since I won't mind taking it apart as much as i would the cherry picker.

Funko GoT White Walker: 2014 Convention Exclusive: I actually got two. I've never seen the show or read the books, but the figures look cool, and were on clearance. I've opened one, and it's tricky to get him to stand, but he looks pretty decent. He's supposed to glow in the dark; I'll have to see how that turns out.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Ultra Agents 70166 Spyclops Infiltration - Grabbed Sunday and is the second last set that I can get with any kind of ease.

City Swamp Police 60070 Water Plane Chase - I had some friends on to this for me for the past few weeks until I could finally collect it from them, which I did.

City Swamp Police 60071 Hovercraft Arrest - Picked up from Target's Click & Collect service earlier in the week.

Star Wars 75081 T-16 Skyhopper - As above.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Art Of He-Man

Blody big, bloody heavy book all about the R&D that went into He-Man from 1978 - 2014. Good book, with loads of great images - the painted stuff is my absolute favourite thing. Its a bit of a shame that a lot of it is just snippets or cropped to fit. Haven't got into reading the full thing, but I wonder if that's because a lot of the original artwork has just ... gone. The Classics range is MASSIVE! Blimey (still not sure I like the aesthetic over the 200X line though). Love that She-Ra gets a bit of space in this too :)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Chunk of Pyrite, Blue Fluorite, Silver Ore, Lapis Lazuli and Quartz all tucked away and labelled. Kinda kicking myself for opting out on an tiiiny adorbs Elrathia Kingii but I already have one. So many rocks.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Picked up Marvel Select Thanos on my way back from an important meeting that went well. Much the same way as I found talking Bender, he was gathering dust at the back of Forbidden Plant in Glasgow.

Thanos and Guardians of the Galaxy are probably equal partners in getting me into comics as an adult. I absolutely love his character, and all the fantastic existential threads he can allow the Marvel universe to explore (now, whether or not he is used in this way in all of his appearances is another matter entirely). Having a nice version of him on my desk at an affordable price is great.

The figure itself is nicely detailed, and the washes pick this out. He's his classic-self, rather than the more techno-detailed versions of the recent 'Thanos Rising' and 'Infinity' stories, which suits me just fine. I'll look forward to a more updated version in the next Avengers movie, but I think simple is better in comics. You can replace his left fist with a grasping hand wearing the Infinity Gauntlet, which is of course, the only way he should be displayed anyway. ;)

Articulation is decent, and he has a lot of heft. There are QC issues (pieces attached before paint dried so ankles in particular took effort to free up, and some gold paint on the blue of his right bicep). He's obviously not of the quality of high end figures like Hottoys or Figma, but he's very good for the mainstream price tag.

As a bonus, he comes with a non-articulated figure of Death, who also has an extra fleshy face to place over the skull if desired (QC issues again on the face, with black patches here and there, but in all honesty it doesn't fit brilliantly anyway and looks a bit big / out of proportion - nice thought though).

Yup, he's good fun, and solid enough to let my son play with him too. As he has no guns, my wife doesn't complain!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tantrum wrote:Denyer - That photo looks great.
Cheers. If anyone can suggest other figures that would work with the general theme, please do suggest. I've mentally categorised it as Forgotten Realms Thay.
Skyquake87 wrote:if that's because a lot of the original artwork has just ... gone
Don't think so, it's space constraints. There's a fan collective called the Power and Honor Foundation (that doesn't entirely get on with Mattel) that helped out Dark Horse with this one, and has a lot more.

Speaking of stuff like this, I've started making a list of other tie-in books;

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=54443
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76036 Carnage’s SHIELD Sky Attack - Interestingly, since he and Venom are related in a sense, they were both released in small sets.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I bought a small figure of Sam the Olympic Eagle.

It was one of those "well this was a complete waste of time, I've got to buy something to make this trip worthwhile" purchases.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Had an hour to kill whilst in transit going to see my mum in hospital, so swung by the Lego Shop in Leeds. Always like going in there, mainly for window shopping but I do like some of the store exclusive sets and the funny little name plaque and whatnot sets that they do.

Came away with Lego 40154 Pencil Pot, which is actually a mostly complete small house (it has a section of roof missing so you can put pens in it, plus another removable bit for keeping paperclips and stuff in). Comes with two mini-figures and a decent amount of bricks for £10.99. I've built it up and it has pens in it! Hooray!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

SH Figuarts Kamen Rider X & Cruiser.

Funny to think, three years ago I'd never considered buying Kamen Riders - and here I am, buying exclusives.
Hound

Post by Hound »

To add to my SHFiguarts Kamen Rider figure I got a Kamen Rider 1 Henshin Belt.
Found on eBay a great deal on a bunch of Gokaiger toys:
The belt, a second Mobirates, the sword and I think it was around 58 Ranger Keys. Quite a few of the keys were pretty beat up and have now become toys for my daughter but I managed to salvage quite a few of them for myself.
Attachments
IMG_1151.JPG
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Sades

Post by Sades »

I am so getting myself a SH Figurarts Gokai Red for Christmas.

That sword is so much fun. It does the Final Wave and everything!

We sat at my parent's kitchen table and played with our toys when they came in. I'm fairly certain my mum thinks we're odd now.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Continuing my Star Wars streak, I went out this morning since it was 'Force Friday'. Stopped at 3 places on my way to work, and picked up 2 of the 3 I wanted to get at the first store: Kylo Ren and First Order Stormtrooper (3.75" basic). I couldn't find Captain Phasma anywhere... I even went to three more places on my lunch hour and stopped by at another place on the way home.

In hindsight, I'm incredibly glad I went this morning, since by mid-day all the stores I visited were void of any 3.75" figures. Oddly, I had to stop back at the first store on my way home for an unrelated item, and their stock was depleted down to a handful of figures. I suppose that's pretty typical of the first stocks.

I read a few things online today about the midnight sales for Force Friday, and others were saying how much stuff the first few people in line were buying - I would guess scalpers. One report said someone bought six Poe Dameron figs. Buying stormtroopers in batches I get... main characters I don't. It dried up pretty much all stock for other customers. Bummer for collectors, even worse of a bummer for kids that may have wanted to get something neat.

Otherwise, I am very happy with both Kylo and the FO Stormtrooper. They only have 5 points of articulation, but the detail is really well done, and they were only $7 each. A good, pleasing way to start a 3 day holiday weekend!