Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
User avatar
Warcry
Articles: 0
Posts: 13684
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:10 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post by Warcry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Vader would probably run about $60 here if he's $40 there, and that's just silly for a standard retail action figure with a useless accessory. But he sounds awesome. :(
ganon578 wrote:Probably not, but the battle droids might not be as tricky as you think. They did wonders with the thin limbs of K2, so that might translate well. I bet army builders would surely go for them. Super battle droids should be easy too. Droidekas, on the other hand take a bit more thought.
That's true, and they also did an IG-88 that had some pretty unconventional articulation as well. So the standard battle droids shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The Episode II droids were pretty humanoid in form, so I wouldn't anticipate any trouble engineering those. But they're not nearly as iconic as the Ep. I guys, are they? If they're only just getting around to making Lando, I'm not sure they'd be high on the list. A lot of the less-iconic army-builder generic troopers seem to shelfwarm really badly, at least around here. Flametroopers and at least one other Ep VII variant are still flooding my local stores, and I don't think the Rogue One stuff moved all that great either.
ganon578 wrote:On my way to 10+ :nonono:
Being a bad influence is fun!

Seriously though, I think you'll like Rogue.
ganon578 wrote:It does. I barely have space for TR PM Prime & Soundwave, CW Megs & Starscream, and two Combiners as it is. And I plan on adding Sky Shadow to the mix too. Running out of shelves!
I know that feeling all too well!

User avatar
Skyquake87
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 3825
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:34 am

Post by Skyquake87 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:48 am

Batman : The Animated Series Catwoman
A bunch of the 6" DC Animated figures have started washing up in B&M shops over here and I lucked out on finding a Catwoman (with whip, Isis the cat and a necklace) for £7.99. So I'm a happy bunny.

User avatar
ganon578
Articles: 0
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: NoCo

Post by ganon578 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Warcry wrote:Vader would probably run about $60 here if he's $40 there, and that's just silly for a standard retail action figure with a useless accessory. But he sounds awesome. :(
It's never fun when price points push out the general collectors at mass retail. I still find it very painful to pay the prices for Leader class TFs, as good as they may be. ...That doesn't mean I still don't do it ('cause I have no willpower).
Warcry wrote:The Episode II droids were pretty humanoid in form, so I wouldn't anticipate any trouble engineering those. But they're not nearly as iconic as the Ep. I guys, are they? If they're only just getting around to making Lando, I'm not sure they'd be high on the list. A lot of the less-iconic army-builder generic troopers seem to shelfwarm really badly, at least around here. Flametroopers and at least one other Ep VII variant are still flooding my local stores, and I don't think the Rogue One stuff moved all that great either.
Nah, I don't think they'd waste their time... yet. The Ep. I-III stuff doesn't seem to get made as much as OT, and there's still a ton of stuff to do for OT. There isn't even a Dooku yet!

I think Hasbro (and Disney) are more interested in pushing the latest movie/show stuff before dribbling out more classic characters at a snails pace. That's how we ended up with mass amounts of peg warming Jyns and Cassians. Hell, they even made Rebels characters far in advance of more prominent characters!
Warcry wrote:Being a bad influence is fun!
You're doing a fantastic job of it, too. :)
Warcry wrote:Seriously though, I think you'll like Rogue.
I get that feeling too. From what you've told me about the accessories(y?) and overall quality, I think I'm in. Now I just need to convince my wife I need one as well. :D She'll look pretty nice up there with Colossus, Wolvie, and Cable.

I also stumbled across the DC Icons figures on the web the other day. Nice looking figures! They seem to have all the joints as the Marvel Legends/SW BS figures do, minus the thigh twist. I'm really high on the Aquaman, as I had the old Kenner Super Powers one (with deep sea kick action!)

Seems like they're overpriced though. The MSRP is about $30 USD? Amazon has them in the range of $20-24, though, so I may have to give one a shot. The scale looks just a tiny bit smaller than the ML figures though...
Image

User avatar
ganon578
Articles: 0
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: NoCo

Post by ganon578 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Warcry, Thrawn just became a reality, so prepare your wallet. It'll start as an exclusive, but it'll probably get released at mass retail without all the stuff:

Thrawn
Image

User avatar
burnitall
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 2:22 am
Location: Washington

Post by burnitall » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Oh, no. I'm going to need that Thrawn. And Tarkin. And better headed Luke. And... the rest.
Image

User avatar
ganon578
Articles: 0
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: NoCo

Post by ganon578 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:04 pm

burnitall wrote:Oh, no. I'm going to need that Thrawn. And Tarkin. And better headed Luke. And... the rest.
Yeah I know, me too... and it's not like I even know much of the character! The figure just looks really good. I like Tarkin too, and he'll look good with the new Vader.

I was never much into the Tie Pilots, but that Battlefront one looks amazing as well...

Oh, and I did manage to pick up DC Icons Aquaman this weekend - I'm really torn on this figure. The price tag I think is part of it (these seem to retail for $25-30 USD) and the scale is the other. It's a 6" inch figure, but a true 6". So while other figures like Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, and even DC Multiverse have a certain 'size' to them, the DC Icons line looks small in comparison. Aquaman stands about as tall as Wolverine from ML. He's really tiny compared to the older DC Universe figures, and looks like a teenager when standing amongst them.

That said, the detail and sculpting is outstanding. The plastic is very high quality, and he comes with a great amount of accessories. He's got two heads: the normal one and one with a transparent cone to look like he's communicating with the sea creatures. He's got his classic trident, and also three sets of hands: fists, trident-holding hands, and open-ish hands (so you can point his fingers to his forehead a bit when the communo-head is attached). Aquaman has a good deal of articulation, but I find that both of the torso joints don't offer much range, which is sad - they're just really tight. I thought I would be bothered by the lack of a thigh swivel, but it's really not much of an issue. His ankles have great range, so the feet can even tilt upward a bit. I wish his head had a bit more up/down range too; if you want him to 'swim' with a flight stand, he can't look up.

Anyways, he's a really solid figure, but there's a little disappointment with him. I'm tempted to get Batman too (or Lex, he looks awesome), but I think you've really got to be all or nothing on these, as they won't fit in with most other 6" figure lines.
Image

User avatar
Warcry
Articles: 0
Posts: 13684
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:10 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post by Warcry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Skyquake87 wrote:Batman : The Animated Series Catwoman
A bunch of the 6" DC Animated figures have started washing up in B&M shops over here and I lucked out on finding a Catwoman (with whip, Isis the cat and a necklace) for £7.99. So I'm a happy bunny.
I have that! It's very pretty. But I'd suggest you treat it like it's made of glass, and make sure to use the stand whenever you can. A lot of the internal joints are made from fragile clear plastic, so the durability is not what you'd expect from a normal retail figure (the head snapped off of mine after it fell about four feet onto a soft, carpeted floor.)

I seem to recall hearing they'd made a second production run that was supposed to be more durable, but better safe than sorry, right?
ganon578 wrote:Nah, I don't think they'd waste their time... yet. The Ep. I-III stuff doesn't seem to get made as much as OT, and there's still a ton of stuff to do for OT. There isn't even a Dooku yet!
Episode I was a big freaking deal, and even though most people didn't like it very much after they saw it, they still remember it. But not many people really seem to care about the other two prequels at all. If any stuff from that era does get made, I'd expect to see stuff inspired by the Clone Wars cartoon before a lot of movie-based stuff. I mean, heck, we've already got Ashoka ahead of almost all the characters from the prequel movies.
ganon578 wrote:Warcry, Thrawn just became a reality, so prepare your wallet. It'll start as an exclusive, but it'll probably get released at mass retail without all the stuff:

Thrawn
Ulp.

I don't think I can justify paying what it would cost to track down an SDCC exclusive, not even for my favourite evil Smurf. Hopefully you're right and he'll get a retail release later!

That's a great set, though. Really, a perfect little Thrawn diorama.
ganon578 wrote:Oh, and I did manage to pick up DC Icons Aquaman this weekend - I'm really torn on this figure. The price tag I think is part of it (these seem to retail for $25-30 USD) and the scale is the other. It's a 6" inch figure, but a true 6". So while other figures like Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, and even DC Multiverse have a certain 'size' to them, the DC Icons line looks small in comparison. Aquaman stands about as tall as Wolverine from ML. He's really tiny compared to the older DC Universe figures, and looks like a teenager when standing amongst them.
ganon578 wrote:Anyways, he's a really solid figure, but there's a little disappointment with him. I'm tempted to get Batman too (or Lex, he looks awesome), but I think you've really got to be all or nothing on these, as they won't fit in with most other 6" figure lines.
Those complaints (and the neck articulation you also mentioned) weren't uncommon, and in fact it seems like the line's been axed because of them. The figures from this line do look great but I was never able to convince myself to get any, for all of the above reasons but mostly because of the size. My DC shelf in particular is a mishmash of four or five different lines and if something doesn't fit size-wise, I'm not sure what I'd do with it. And these Icons figures, as best as I can tell, don't even scale properly with other DCC stuff that was released alongside them!

User avatar
Skyquake87
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 3825
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:34 am

Post by Skyquake87 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Warcry wrote:I have that! It's very pretty. But I'd suggest you treat it like it's made of glass, and make sure to use the stand whenever you can. A lot of the internal joints are made from fragile clear plastic, so the durability is not what you'd expect from a normal retail figure (the head snapped off of mine after it fell about four feet onto a soft, carpeted floor.)

I seem to recall hearing they'd made a second production run that was supposed to be more durable, but better safe than sorry, right?
The figures I've bought from the line (all three of them) look too fragile for my clumsy hands, so these are the first toys I've bought that I haven't opened. I feel like some weird MIB collector... but I can tell by looking at these I'd just end up breaking them, so in their plastic prisons they shall stay and I shall just marvel at them (they are pretty).

User avatar
ganon578
Articles: 0
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: NoCo

Post by ganon578 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Warcry wrote:Being a bad influence is fun!

Seriously though, I think you'll like Rogue.
Welp, picked up Rogue. Found her at a Walmart when I was out looking for a travel case for the Switch. Got a smile when she rang up at the register as 'Rouge'.

Haven't opened her yet, but I already like her. I think she's missing one of the tiny green rings on her boot though, as one side has one. Maybe it's in the box somewhere. Either way, I think I'd just remove the other if it's gone, no big deal to me. I finally see the un-gloved hand in the box too. Can't wait to open her up this evening!

Keeping count, I'm at 5 ML's. Might sell off Old Wolverine though, since I've now got the younger version.
Warcry wrote:Episode I was a big freaking deal, and even though most people didn't like it very much after they saw it, they still remember it. But not many people really seem to care about the other two prequels at all. If any stuff from that era does get made, I'd expect to see stuff inspired by the Clone Wars cartoon before a lot of movie-based stuff. I mean, heck, we've already got Ashoka ahead of almost all the characters from the prequel movies.
I'm fond of Episode I, bad as it is. It was monumental back when it released, even if a large chunk of people (in hindsight, IMO) like to bash it. I saw it 6 times on the big screen for Pete's sake! Only now is Qui-Gon being made!

There's a heavy push for anything Rebels related, it seems. I'm certain that show is the main driver for Thrawn getting a figure. There's a bunch of people that need figure treatment, yet we've already gotten Ahsoka, Kanan & Sabine, with Thrawn and Hera on the way. Rogue One and Rebels are probably the nudge that got us a Tarkin figure, too.
Warcry wrote:I don't think I can justify paying what it would cost to track down an SDCC exclusive, not even for my favourite evil Smurf. Hopefully you're right and he'll get a retail release later!
I would surely exercise patience. The Comic Con exclusives Unmasked Kylo Ren and Ben Kenobi with all their fanciness are now readily available at retail without all the accessories. I can't imagine Thrawn would be any different - they'd be missing out on a large portion of paying customers.
Warcry wrote:My DC shelf in particular is a mishmash of four or five different lines and if something doesn't fit size-wise, I'm not sure what I'd do with it. And these Icons figures, as best as I can tell, don't even scale properly with other DCC stuff that was released alongside them!
I've been out of the DC collecting world for a while, and I'm finding myself thoroughly confused with their ever-changing scales and line titles. It really makes tracking older stuff down incredibly difficult.

That said, I found (something I didn't know existed) a DC Universe Classics Batman painted to match the 1989 Movie Bats. Ordered him off eBay and hopefully he will show up this weekend. I had the old Super Powers version, and he'll match Supes and Green Lantern perfectly (but not my new Aquaman :( ). I'd be tempted to secure the Joker of the same line too, as I used to have that figure as well.
Image

User avatar
Tetsuro
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 2519
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:26 pm
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele

Post by Tetsuro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am

ganon578 wrote:I'm fond of Episode I, bad as it is. It was monumental back when it released, even if a large chunk of people (in hindsight, IMO) like to bash it.
No way man, people definitely hated it even back when it came out. If hindsight has anything to do with it, it's probably better received now than back then, and even then I'm positive it's only because of people who were kids when it came out watching it with rose-tinted glasses.

User avatar
Warcry
Articles: 0
Posts: 13684
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:10 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post by Warcry » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Skyquake87 wrote:The figures I've bought from the line (all three of them) look too fragile for my clumsy hands, so these are the first toys I've bought that I haven't opened. I feel like some weird MIB collector... but I can tell by looking at these I'd just end up breaking them, so in their plastic prisons they shall stay and I shall just marvel at them (they are pretty).
That's probably not a bad idea, sad to say.

But are you allowed to marvel at DC toys? Won't that confuse them?
ganon578 wrote:Welp, picked up Rogue. Found her at a Walmart when I was out looking for a travel case for the Switch. Got a smile when she rang up at the register as 'Rouge'.
That typo annoys me far more than is rational, I have to say. I get a twitch every time I see it. And even moreso when I make it myself.
ganon578 wrote:Haven't opened her yet, but I already like her. I think she's missing one of the tiny green rings on her boot though, as one side has one. Maybe it's in the box somewhere. Either way, I think I'd just remove the other if it's gone, no big deal to me. I finally see the un-gloved hand in the box too. Can't wait to open her up this evening!
Like with the new Cyclops, the rings and boot-tops aren't actually glued in place, just held by friction. Once you get them into the position they're supposed to be in they'll stay there just fine (unlike Cyke) but in package they do tend to bounce around. I wouldn't be surprised if it's either around her ankle or rolling around the bottom of the box.
ganon578 wrote:I'm fond of Episode I, bad as it is. It was monumental back when it released, even if a large chunk of people (in hindsight, IMO) like to bash it. I saw it 6 times on the big screen for Pete's sake! Only now is Qui-Gon being made!
I absolutely love some things about Episode I. Darth Maul is cool as hell. The tech designs were generally very eye-catching -- the battle droids and droidekas, the Trade Federation ring-ships, etc. I've got some hardcore nostalgia for a lot of the Star Wars Lego sets and video games that came out around then, too. And most of all, I love the score -- definitely my favourite of the prequels in that regard, and better than most of the OT too. It retrospect I think it's easily the best of the prequel movies, even with the choppy pacing and annoying Gungans.
ganon578 wrote:I would surely exercise patience. The Comic Con exclusives Unmasked Kylo Ren and Ben Kenobi with all their fanciness are now readily available at retail without all the accessories. I can't imagine Thrawn would be any different - they'd be missing out on a large portion of paying customers.
Yeah, the same thing seems to happen with the Marvel Legends and Transformers SDCC exclusives. The figures that haven't gotten a mass release previously have a good chance of popping up at retail in short order, though usually with a different deco or accessories or some token retooling.
ganon578 wrote:I've been out of the DC collecting world for a while, and I'm finding myself thoroughly confused with their ever-changing scales and line titles. It really makes tracking older stuff down incredibly difficult.
Agreed. After DCUC crashed and burned Mattel hasn't been able to keep a line going for more than a year or two, and DC Collectibles seems to start (and cancel) a bunch of new lines every year. It's hard to even know what to look for, let alone what it was called.

This site is pretty helpful for finding info on older figures, if you haven't run across it before, though I'm pretty sure that the 2011+ pages are incomplete since the creator only included stuff that he thought "fit" with the older series. It's got some more in-depth reviews and pics of the older stuff as well.
ganon578 wrote:That said, I found (something I didn't know existed) a DC Universe Classics Batman painted to match the 1989 Movie Bats. Ordered him off eBay and hopefully he will show up this weekend. I had the old Super Powers version, and he'll match Supes and Green Lantern perfectly (but not my new Aquaman :( ). I'd be tempted to secure the Joker of the same line too, as I used to have that figure as well.
I've always wanted that Batman, but never seen one. I had several versions of that suit as a kid, tie-ins to the old Keaton movies, and I'd love to have a modern (well, not really anymore, but you know...) version.

My Riddler and Joker are the 60s show versions. I sometimes think I should get a "real" Joker one of these days but I'm honestly not a big fan of the character.

I've somehow never, in my entire life, run across an acceptable Superman in stores, just New 52 and movie versions with ugly, washed-out colours and/or not having the red undies. Hopefully the current SuperFriends line lasts long enough for the second wave to come out (and hopefully I can find it for ~$22ish like the Batman so that I'm willing to actually buy it, outdated engineering and all).
Tetsuro wrote:No way man, people definitely hated it even back when it came out. If hindsight has anything to do with it, it's probably better received now than back then, and even then I'm positive it's only because of people who were kids when it came out watching it with rose-tinted glasses.
Unless my memory is playing tricks, I don't think it was so cut and dried. People absolutely hated Jar-Jar when the movie came out, but the general "OMG NEW STAR WARS" excitement was so high that it drowned out a lot of the other criticism. In the years between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones people slowly came to terms with the fact that it wasn't an especially good movie. AOTC didn't have the same "big event" feeling so people were a lot more willing to say that it was awful right off the bat, and from there it cemented into a blanket "the prequels are awful!" even before ROTS came out.

Though a lot of that is from personal experience, so it'll be different from person to person.

I do think that people look back on TPM a lot more fondly than they did a decade or so ago, though, if only because AOTC and ROTS made them thankful that the first one was merely bad instead of putrid.

User avatar
HeavyArms
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 1836
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Post by HeavyArms » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Two Lego Nexo Knights sets over a couple of Sundays:
70348 Lance's Twin Jouster & 70349 Ruina's Lock & Roller and
Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Donnie Turtle Racer.
Destruction is my specialty

User avatar
ganon578
Articles: 0
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: NoCo

Post by ganon578 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Tetsuro wrote:No way man, people definitely hated it even back when it came out. If hindsight has anything to do with it, it's probably better received now than back then, and even then I'm positive it's only because of people who were kids when it came out watching it with rose-tinted glasses.
I don't get that feeling at all. The people I was with for a couple viewings generally enjoyed it. There absolutely were some parts that weren't good, but a lot of the people I knew shrugged those off for the most part, at least while the Prequels were still fresh off the screen.
Warcry wrote:That typo annoys me far more than is rational, I have to say. I get a twitch every time I see it. And even moreso when I make it myself.
The typo is even more funny if you watch the Honest Trailer for Rogue One.
Warcry wrote:Like with the new Cyclops, the rings and boot-tops aren't actually glued in place, just held by friction. Once you get them into the position they're supposed to be in they'll stay there just fine (unlike Cyke) but in package they do tend to bounce around. I wouldn't be surprised if it's either around her ankle or rolling around the bottom of the box.
Rattled it around yesterday and it didn't pop out at all. Maybe I'll put in a little message to Hasbro and see if they send me the part. Long shot, but hey, you never know. I'd return it for another one, but I can't find her anywhere. Not that big of a deal in the long run.
Warcry wrote:I absolutely love some things about Episode I. Darth Maul is cool as hell. The tech designs were generally very eye-catching -- the battle droids and droidekas, the Trade Federation ring-ships, etc. I've got some hardcore nostalgia for a lot of the Star Wars Lego sets and video games that came out around then, too. And most of all, I love the score -- definitely my favourite of the prequels in that regard, and better than most of the OT too. It retrospect I think it's easily the best of the prequel movies, even with the choppy pacing and annoying Gungans.
I agree with all of that, but I place RotS higher than the other two (mostly because of Vader's appearance). TPM is second after that, really because of Maul. And Qui-Gon. He's good, too.
Warcry wrote:This site is pretty helpful for finding info on older figures, if you haven't run across it before, though I'm pretty sure that the 2011+ pages are incomplete since the creator only included stuff that he thought "fit" with the older series. It's got some more in-depth reviews and pics of the older stuff as well.
Thanks for the site! I think I may have seen something similar a while back, but the reviews and wave distribution on this page make it easy to pick and choose (plus, since they're listed by photo, things are easy to find).
Warcry wrote:I've always wanted that Batman, but never seen one. I had several versions of that suit as a kid, tie-ins to the old Keaton movies, and I'd love to have a modern (well, not really anymore, but you know...) version.
I had never seen him either, until a week or so ago. Checking eBay sucked me right in, as I ordered one for $24, shipping included. He came in Saturday! The figure's in fantastic condition, looks like it wasn't even ever messed with. Not a spec of dust either, so either the guy is really clean, or never even displayed it. Anyhoo, the figure has the same flaws as every DCUC fig: the out-of-date articulation, cartoony sculpt and whatnot. Somehow, this fits right in line with the old figure I had, as both were a bit too barrel-chested for their own good and kind of ridiculous. I only kinda wish he had a cloth cape instead of the rubber one, because (just like Supes) he's a tad too back heavy. It's not enough to bother me though. Somehow, having this figure on my shelf just feels right.
Warcry wrote:My Riddler and Joker are the 60s show versions. I sometimes think I should get a "real" Joker one of these days but I'm honestly not a big fan of the character.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I think the only thing that drives me to get a Joker to match him is that he'll match nicely with Bats, and I did have the old Super Powers version of him, with the squirting flower.
Warcry wrote:I've somehow never, in my entire life, run across an acceptable Superman in stores, just New 52 and movie versions with ugly, washed-out colours and/or not having the red undies. Hopefully the current SuperFriends line lasts long enough for the second wave to come out (and hopefully I can find it for ~$22ish like the Batman so that I'm willing to actually buy it, outdated engineering and all).
For some reason, it seems like Mattel struggles to put out a good Superman. Even the one I have has too boxy of a chin, or something, I can't really put my finger on it. His face sculpt is off, just a bit.

I was really tempted by Injustice Supes a few years ago, but never pulled the trigger. If I ever come across a decently priced Cyborg Supes (the classic colors version) from the DCUC, I think I would get that. It looks spiffy.

Oh, and on my day off Friday (killing time when my son was in preschool and it was too windy to go fishing) I was wandering Walmart. Found a couple Rescue Bots for the kids, but also came across a Phazon Suit Samus (World of Nintendo). She's only the 2nd WoN figure I have (Skyward Sword Link being the other), and I'm torn on the purchase. While she only cost me $9.84, I'm a little underwhelmed. The paint deco is superb and shiny. The little morph ball she comes with is really neat. The articulation is there, but some if it isn't really functional. Her hips are kinda ball jointed, but don't have much range past your simple swivel joint. The shoulders are solely swivel, which really deadens the good action poses. The knees and elbows have good range though, but that really doesn't matter when the shoulders and hips kill it. Otherwise, she's sharp looking, and about 4" tall. I suppose for <$10 MSRP, you get what you pay for.
Image

User avatar
HeavyArms
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 1836
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Post by HeavyArms » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:40 am

Lego Nexo Knights 70362 Battle Suit Clay.

Lego Batman Movie 70906 The Joker Notorious Lowrider.
Destruction is my specialty

User avatar
ganon578
Articles: 0
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: NoCo

Post by ganon578 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:06 pm

I decided to poke Hasbro's customer service about the missing ring on Rogue's leg. Simply wanted a replacement part if they happened to have one as a long shot. Super nice customer service lady simply issued a replacement figure instead, with the caveat that if Rogue wasn't in the warehouse I would get another figure from the Wave. Pretty awesome if you ask me, and totally unexpected! So what shows up this weekend? Phoenix! So now I own a ring-less Rogue and Phoenix. Not too bad for a free figure though, as I probably wouldn't have gotten her of my own accord. Bravo to Hasbro for going the distance to make things a bit more right (even though I probably should have taken a closer look in the package...).
Image

User avatar
Warcry
Articles: 0
Posts: 13684
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:10 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post by Warcry » Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 pm

ganon578 wrote:I decided to poke Hasbro's customer service about the missing ring on Rogue's leg. Simply wanted a replacement part if they happened to have one as a long shot. Super nice customer service lady simply issued a replacement figure instead, with the caveat that if Rogue wasn't in the warehouse I would get another figure from the Wave. Pretty awesome if you ask me, and totally unexpected! So what shows up this weekend? Phoenix! So now I own a ring-less Rogue and Phoenix. Not too bad for a free figure though, as I probably wouldn't have gotten her of my own accord. Bravo to Hasbro for going the distance to make things a bit more right (even though I probably should have taken a closer look in the package...).
Hasbro are pretty good about trying to make people happy when they've bought a defective figure, I have to give them that. It's a shame they couldn't get you another Rogue, but a free figure is a free figure! (Is that six or seven now? :glance:)

Phoenix is one of the weaker ones from that wave. The paint job is gorgeous but the base figure isn't great, and the heeled boots really make it hard for her to stand. I suspect mine might end up in storage once I get the Dark Phoenix from this set, even though I prefer the green colour scheme. Dark Phoenix is going to be so much less frustrating to pose simply because they seem to have put her in flats instead of heels. And of course the extra heads and flame-bird effect are nice too.

Kind of a shame that Cyclops get gypped out of any accessories or alternate parts, though. A swappable left fist at the very least, and an unmasked head with his signature sunglasses would have been nice too. Still, considering all the flak the 90s version is catching, I'm pretty sure this is going to be my Cyclops for the foreseeable future.
ganon578 wrote:Thanks for the site! I think I may have seen something similar a while back, but the reviews and wave distribution on this page make it easy to pick and choose (plus, since they're listed by photo, things are easy to find).
No problem! I found it super useful when I got into DC figures myself.

And now that I'm looking at it again, it reminds me that I need to track down Red Tornado and Doctor Fate one of these days to go along with my Firestorm, fat blue Penguin and blue/grey Batman, for that Super Powers nostalgia.
ganon578 wrote:I only kinda wish he had a cloth cape instead of the rubber one, because (just like Supes) he's a tad too back heavy. It's not enough to bother me though. Somehow, having this figure on my shelf just feels right.
Yeah, the rubber capes look nice and all but they really, really get in the way if you actually try to do anything with the figures. It seems like Mattel's gone back to cloth for some of the newer figures, which is definitely welcome in my books. They don't look quite as good but that's a trade I'll happily make for the reduced weight.
ganon578 wrote:Yeah, I see what you mean. I think the only thing that drives me to get a Joker to match him is that he'll match nicely with Bats, and I did have the old Super Powers version of him, with the squirting flower.
That was the '89 Movie Joker, actually.

The Super Powers Joker (which is the one I got second-hand from an older cousin when I was little) came with a mallet instead.
ganon578 wrote:For some reason, it seems like Mattel struggles to put out a good Superman. Even the one I have has too boxy of a chin, or something, I can't really put my finger on it. His face sculpt is off, just a bit.
I think you're right, because I've heard nothing about complaints about pretty much all of the Supes figures they've done -- they use the wrong shade of blue, or the S shield is the wrong size, or the head sculpt is off, or they do something else to mess it up.

The only Superman I've ever actually enjoyed was my old Super Powers one, and even that was only because I had so many laughs from constantly poking my cousin for stealing his arm for...who knows what reason, we were like six, and losing it at his house (something I'll never fail to remind him about every time we see each other).

User avatar
ganon578
Articles: 0
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: NoCo

Post by ganon578 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Warcry wrote:(Is that six or seven now? :glance:)
Shhhhhh.

As of yesterday, it makes seven. But I think I'm going to sell off Logan in favor of the Wolverine I have that I thought I wouldn't have. And well, when you walk into Marshalls and they have Civil War Cap for $8, how could I say no to that?
Warcry wrote:Phoenix is one of the weaker ones from that wave. The paint job is gorgeous but the base figure isn't great, and the heeled boots really make it hard for her to stand. I suspect mine might end up in storage once I get the Dark Phoenix from this set, even though I prefer the green colour scheme. Dark Phoenix is going to be so much less frustrating to pose simply because they seem to have put her in flats instead of heels. And of course the extra heads and flame-bird effect are nice too.

Kind of a shame that Cyclops get gypped out of any accessories or alternate parts, though. A swappable left fist at the very least, and an unmasked head with his signature sunglasses would have been nice too. Still, considering all the flak the 90s version is catching, I'm pretty sure this is going to be my Cyclops for the foreseeable future.
The boots are really similar to the ones on my Black Series Ahsoka, so I knew she would be hard to stand right out of the box. Otherwise, I like her.

Dark Phoenix looks really good - I saw that one the other day. Cyclops is pretty spiffy too, but I agree he could have used a few more accessories, especially for an exclusive pack. It's almost like he was just kind of tossed in.
Warcry wrote:No problem! I found it super useful when I got into DC figures myself.

And now that I'm looking at it again, it reminds me that I need to track down Red Tornado and Doctor Fate one of these days to go along with my Firestorm, fat blue Penguin and blue/grey Batman, for that Super Powers nostalgia.
I'm hunting for a short-haired Aquaman from Series 2. But not for what most online sources ask for. There's no need to break the bank at any moment.
That's the one! Seems like he goes for about $30-40 though, so he'll have to wait for my shelf.
Warcry wrote:The only Superman I've ever actually enjoyed was my old Super Powers one, and even that was only because I had so many laughs from constantly poking my cousin for stealing his arm for...who knows what reason, we were like six, and losing it at his house (something I'll never fail to remind him about every time we see each other).
There's that one coming from the new line, as you mentioned before. It looks like they modified the face sculpt to more closely resemble that release. Seems like they scuplt on the original figure was the best they've done so far!
Image

User avatar
ganon578
Articles: 0
Posts: 2196
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm
Location: NoCo

Post by ganon578 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:06 pm

For May the Fourth, I came across some more of the 40th Anniversary Star Wars BS figures. Picked up Ben Kenobi, Princess Leia, and R2-D2. I'm very torn on these purchases. While they are very nice likenesses of all of the characters, and they go really well with the display set that came with Vader, they're really not that much fun. Obi-Wan is a really good sculpt of Alec Guinness, but he more or less just stands there by Vader. Same with Leia... but I find I like her more. R2 is pretty neat - he's got little rollers on all of his 'feet' but I don't like the way the middle foot comes down. You have to rotate his head to move it up and down, so it's difficult to hit multiple positions. Thankfully he comes with a bunch of different add-ons.

Maybe it's all the enjoyment I've been finding with the Marvel and DC offerings of late, but overall I don't think the SW stuff is worth the price. :(
Image

User avatar
HeavyArms
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 1836
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Post by HeavyArms » Sat May 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Lego Nexo Knights 70359 Lance vs. lightning &
Lego Star Wars 75164 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack

Bought these two during Toys'R'Us' 'Buy One Get One Half Off' promotion.
Destruction is my specialty

User avatar
Skyquake87
Protoform
Articles: 0
Posts: 3825
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:34 am

Post by Skyquake87 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Lego Marvel Superheroes Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 76079 Ravager Attack

I hate stud shooters*. I get the idea behind them, for play and whatnot, but by crikey they're annoying - flinging tiny plastic bricks off to god-knows-where without much effort. And this set has four of the buggers on the main ship alone. The Ravager ship itself (piloted by Taserface. It says here.) is very swooshable. It is a swoosh-shaped ship and I like it. Nice shaping and choice of colours. Taserface himself is all kinds of angry looking purple face. And he has a really big shooty bazooka thing. Not bad. Shame there's nowhere to store this thing though.
The rest of the set is made up of a bit of scenery and wreckage. Its a bit anemic, but provides a bit of cover for Rocket and Mantis, who are both very cool. Came with a free min-build of the Milano which is great and money off, thanks to some TRU vouchers what I has. Generally speaking, nails the £19.99 price point, as a lot of the Marvel Superhero sets do. A fun little set with some nice mini-figures. I kind of like that Lego's offering for GOTG is 3 sets that gets you the core cast of heroes and villians in some modestly priced sets. Might be tempted to pick up the other two.



*I quite like the gattling cannon ones though!

Lego Batman Movie 70904 Clayface Splat Attack
Heard a lot of good things about this set, and it holds up to expectations. Clayface himself is a fun build and makes for a suitably expressive giant fig. I like he interchangeable hand and expressive eyes and mouth. He's really good fun! Mayor McCaskill and Batman are decent accompanying characters and make for a good battle in a box. Easily one of the best Lego Batman sets.

This one also came with money off and a free polybag which is a neat little Police car. It does look a bit like a police issue golf buggy, but with its small size and rear mounted tool storage, it reminds me of the old days of Town. Good fun!

Post Reply