Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The 2017 X-Men wave has finally arrived in these parts! I wandered into two cases' worth of them in my local Toys'R'Us, minus both Cyclops and Colossus (who have probably found their way to a scalper's eBay page). Of course, two of the ones I was most intent on getting were Dazzler and Sunfire, so...score?

Sunfire is great! The new body (this is the Spidey 2099 one I think?) is really well-done, on par with last year's Wolvie or ASM2 Spidey for articulation, beating out the Pizza Spidey one by having boot swivels. Sunfire's got a very complicated outfit but the figure is well-painted and captures it well. His head sculpt is amazing, and the flame-fist accessories are so, so much cooler than the line's other effects pieces. Even though the character was only an X-Man for about five seconds, I'd have to call this one of the must-have X-figures that Hasbro's put out since I've started collecting.

Dazzler isn't as good, but she's by no means bad. Sunfire just set the bar really high. So much of Dazz is new tooling (head, hair, necklace, upper torso, most of the legs, roller skates) that the reused parts stand out a bit more than you'd like. The standard Legends twig-arms that all the females get look worse in flesh-tone than they would in costume colours, especially the unnatural-looking elbows. The lower torso is probably the worst of it, though. All the new parts are molded to look like a dance outfit, with folds of cloth and the like, but her midriff and butt look like they're covered by our typical superhero spandex. It's only obvious if you look really close, but it's there. On the other hand, the figure poses so, so well on those wide-based roller skates that it puts most of the other Legends females I own to shame. And even with those minor niggles, this is a great likeness. The costume is spot on, and Dazzler's head (makeup and hair included) look great. The microphone accessory is nice and the multicoloured light flare is really eye-catching.

The only thing even close to a disappointment about these guys are the BAF pieces. I've gotten to know Warlock a good bit during my read-through of old X-books, but the Warlock I'm used to is flat black with bright gold "circuit" piping. The BAF is dull gold with a black wash, and (admitting that I only have a torso and an arm here) doesn't exactly scream Warlock to me. The old books' unnaturally alien look has grown on me, and I can't say I like this new "dirty steampunk robot" look at all. But that's probably a good thing since it'll keep me from trying to buy figures of characters I don't care about, like Havok's marginally more interesting girlfriend, the guy they turned gay to annoy Rob Liefeld or a version of Wolverine with all the interesting design elements removed from a stupidly grimdark alt-universe.

(Sidenote: I've finally reached the Liefeld issues of New Mutants and he truly is awful. How did someone so talentless ever break into the industry? Even the infamous Pat Lee was at least capable of drawing well when he bothered to do so.)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A bunch of new stuff over the past couple of weeks, starting with a Lego set:

Luke's Landspeeder (75173): A gift from my kids for an early Father's Day present (we will be visiting family during the real holiday). Very cool set. Comes with Obi-Wan, Luke, C-3PO, a womp rat, and a Tusken Raider. The landspeeder is spot on. It was a fun build aside from the stickers - not a fan of stickers on Lego sets. They went on OK and they're straight, just a pain in the butt. Otherwise I really like the set and was surprised by the number of minifigs in it.

And I'm bulking up my DC collection, trying to build a Justice League from the DCUC. It's a shame these haven't been updated to more ML Legends style, as all of them look really good, but would be so much better with tweaks to the articulation system...

Green Lantern (John Stewart): Scored for a reasonable price off eBay, and it's the one with the updated suit (not the original suit from the Walmart pack). I already own a DCUC Hal Jordan (with the shiny green suit), but I wanted some diversity over my JL. He also came with two green 'constructs' which are interchangeable between him and Hal, so I have one for each. He's got couple loose joints, but it's nothing that isn't manageable. I'm also surprised that he's got bit of an ankle-rocker joint too; something I hadn't seen on DCUC figures at all. Overall, pretty good.

The Flash (Barry Allen): Also scored on eBay for a good price. The figure looks great, but I wish he was just a bit more slender. He seems just a bit too muscular for a speed runner. On the flip side, the red suit really pops and the bright yellow is a fantastic contrast. The paint lines are clean, and the eyes are also well done. He's got enough ankle range to support good running poses, but he would really benefit from added ankle-rockers. No accessories either - would have been fantastic with a set of 'running' hands, for lack of a better term.

Cyborg Superman (TRU Exclusive): (Not part of my JL, FYI) From the two-pack with Mongul, with 'Reign of the Supermen' styling. The event is one of my favorites from way back, so I'm glad to add him in. I used to have two of the Super Powers Superman figures back in the day (lost the first one's cape when I took him to the store with me - against my mother's request - so I got another) and repainted the cape-less one to match the Cyborg. the figure is overall pretty great - I like the way his cape drapes on him, and it's not too heavy as to tip him backwards. The red on him is a shade darker than the normal Supes, which fits the character well. The joints are pretty solid (the torso hinge might be a little loose) but otherwise I am very pleased. :up:

And I've got Wonder Woman on the way, reasonably from eBay. She'll be a nice addition when she arrives, and I think I'm going to add Martian Manhunter at some point in lieu of Cyborg (at least for now).

And one more that fits in with my Suicide Squad Bats:

Multiverse Wonder Woman (TRU Exlusive): This is the one from the new movie without the hooded cape. I wasn't intending to get another movie/TV-styled figure, but this one was just too gorgeous to pass over. The face sculpting is great (miles better than the BvS one) and the paint apps are well done. The red/blue/gold are all metallic and cleanly applied. She comes with her shield (which I think is just a tad too big) and her sword, both well painted and well sculpted. The one thing that sucks is the hair is molded so tightly to her shoulders that it A) makes her head hard to move, and B) scraped some of her flesh-colored paint from one of her shoulders. I'm not entirely sure why they decided to mold the torso in brown and paint the skin tone on, since the arms and upper legs are molded in flesh-colored plastic anyways. When it comes to skin tones, I think it's best to use that as the plastic and paint on top. Oh well. Her articulation is standard, but there's a couple issues too, as the skirt hinders the hip range, and the lack of ankle-rockers kills some balance. This is another figure that would have been outstanding with a little more effort on that front. Otherwise, she's a beautiful figure that I'm glad to have. Now that I have her and Bats, I will likely hunt down a BvS Supes in the future, and likely will pick up some more of the JL figures when Mattel makes them for the new movie.

It's likely I will have two JL sets by the end of the year. I think I will just pretend they're from different Earths in the Multiverse.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

DCUC never did swappable hands if memory serves, which definitely sucks for Flash. I'm pretty sure they did a version of him with rocker ankles early on, though.

I hope that Wonder Woman shows up in my TRU! There's tons of things out for the movie, but it's mostly fashion doll stuff -- great for my wife, but not for me. I'd love a six-inch figure of movie Wonder Woman, and the BvS one was nowhere to be found. Unlike some of their movie redesigns, I think it's a great take on the original.

I stopped by EB Games, who carry Walgreens exclusives up here, and grabbed myself an Invisible Woman today! I wasn't planning on getting her (I was hunting for Moon Knight, since the Homecoming wave has appeared at several EBs in the city) but once I saw the figure in person I had to have it. The costume looks beautiful. I've never seen the F4 in this shade of blue before, but it looks amazing. Sue's head sculpt is great too.

H.E.R.B.I.E. is cute, but I have no idea who he is, so he's in the spare parts bin for now.

I guess this means I'll have to get the rest of the team as they trickle out, but if the others look this good I won't mind. Though I'm kind of expecting Human Torch to be a bit crap like last year's Iceman, with the see-through flaming plastic and all.

Hopefully they do an F4 version of She-Hulk to go with the normal four. I'm pretty sure I've actually read more issues where she was on the team than ones where she's not.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

HERBIE was a stand in for the Human Torch in an old FF cartoon show, as there was a rights issue or somesuch over the Human Torch appearing in it. So they got a robot sidekick to fill in for him instead.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:DCUC never did swappable hands if memory serves, which definitely sucks for Flash. I'm pretty sure they did a version of him with rocker ankles early on, though.
I still like my Flash very much, stiff ankles and all. The new Jay Garrick Flash from the TV show has swappable hands, so that's a good sign Mattel might be catching on (likely not).
Warcry wrote:I hope that Wonder Woman shows up in my TRU! There's tons of things out for the movie, but it's mostly fashion doll stuff -- great for my wife, but not for me. I'd love a six-inch figure of movie Wonder Woman, and the BvS one was nowhere to be found. Unlike some of their movie redesigns, I think it's a great take on the original.
The Multiverse WW stuff is definitely hit-and-miss. TRU and Target near me have it, but the WM's are still stocked full of the Doomsday Wave or Suicide Squad stuff.
Warcry wrote:I was hunting for Moon Knight
Yeah, that Moon Knight looks great. I've only touched on some of the comics with him, right around the time of Civil War/House of M. Otherwise, no desire to follow the character. But, damn, does the figure look awesome!

And well, I know what I will be saving for:

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Skyquake87 wrote:The Scuttler is awesome - probably my favourite of the Bat-movie sets.
I'm kind of surprised Lego haven't ever made a Bat-like vehicle for Batman before.

Since EB Games are having a 50% off sale, I bought two Lego Dimensions sets:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Story Pack &
Excalibur Batman Fun Pack.

Also, Lego Batman Movie 70909 Batcave Break-in from Big W.
Destruction is my specialty
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Skyquake87 wrote:HERBIE was a stand in for the Human Torch in an old FF cartoon show, as there was a rights issue or somesuch over the Human Torch appearing in it. So they got a robot sidekick to fill in for him instead.
If I remember right someone was planning to give the Torch his own series, so exclusivity deals barred them from using him. Which I think is the same reason they had to create Firestar for Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (again, was meant to be Johnny).

Rights deals are fun. :/
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm glad we got Firestar for Spidey then. HERBIE was bobbins.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Completed my Soul of Chogokin Mazinger fembot collection with GX-09 Minerva X. Yes, it's spelled "Mineva" on the box. No, I don't care.

Also bringing my insane goal of collecting all the Showa era Kamen Rider figuarts a little bit closer to a finish with the regular version of Apollo Geist.

Bloody hell tho, I'm positive I ticked EMS as the shipping option but Mandarake sent the lot via DHL instead - kind of annoying since clearing courier company shipments through customs is much more of a pain in the ass since I have to ask for the waybill number separately from them first before I can actually clear it on the customs office's website, but it was even worse than I expected because when I called them, the lady at the other end told me I'd still have to pay a separate fee even if I cleared it myself(!) so I'm feeling kind of ripped off here.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Star Wars Rogue One 3.75" Bodhi Rook and Shoretrooper
I'd largely given up with the RO figures. They're nowhere to be seen at retail, with everyone still struggling to shift tonnes of unsold FA figures at this scale and online prices are full of 'no thank you', so I was quite surprised to find these two at my local Asda. Great little figures and although I'm generally not fond of the silly massive accessories, the zip line one the Shoretrooper comes with is ace. The likenesses of the actors at this scale are still really impressive - better than the the larger figures, IMO.

Lego Batman Movie 70901 Mr Freeze's something something
Easily the weakest of the £20 Movie sets and the one I was pretty much going to pass on, but TRU had a giveaway where you get a Batpod polybag free (RRP £6.99 - bit steep) with purchases over £15, so that ramped up the value for money on what is a very slight set indeed. Whilst the mech for Mr Freeze is decent, it's kind of gangly looking. The part of power plant scenery you get is a bit feeble, although nicely detailed and most of the budget seems to have gone into the trans blue rock pieces which are passed off as ice. I'm not impressed with the set, and it's only really any good linked up with the Scarecrow set and Joker escape. On its own merits, its pretty weak.

The Bat Pod is a fun bit of carry around fun. Its a plastic holder that opens up to reveal a section of Batcave with a computer, batarang and grappling gun. Neat Batman figure too, who's sporting a fetching tiger print jacket and bowtie.
ganon578

Holy Haul, Batman!

Post by ganon578 »

Boy, where to start? A massive haul has come from the mail and Wal-Mart over the past few weeks...

Let's start with Marvel:

ML Cyclops (the new one): Warcry already mentioned Cyclops is a bit of a bad figure - and entirely fair and true assessment. Cyclops looks really good standing still, but all the floppy belts/straps/etc. are a real pain the a$$. Every time I try a new pose something is dropping or shifting or whatever. Some of the joints are a bit loose too, and the elbows could have used more reinforcement. The only reasons I got him were A) I wanted him to lead my X-Men, B) I returned Kitty Pryde to the store, and C) he's hard to find but Amazon dropped him briefly to $25 w/ Prime shipping. Overall he's very 'Meh'. At least he isn't quite as bad as that Star-Lord I had bought.

Now onto DC:

DCUC Wonder Woman: Via eBay, decent price. Nice classic figure, and a great addition to my JLA. The arms seem a little thin/frail, but they're holding up quite well, and she's got pretty good balance for having heels and not having rocker ankles. The axe doesn't hold terribly well in her hand and the lasso doesn't detach from her hip, so there's some issues. Otherwise, she's pretty good.

DCUC Martian Manhunter: Also via eBay to round out my classic JLA, and also at a decent price. Good figure, but some of the joints are a touch loose. And he came in a bit dusty - nothing that can't be cleaned up. He's a nice shade of bright green, and has some nice veins molded into the arms. The cape is on the light (weight) side too, so balance is pretty good. I have him up on a homemade flight stand with Supes and Hal Jordan. :up:

So now my JLA is complete! Now i just need to reorganize my shelves to make room for all the other stuff...

Which brings me to the entire King Shark wave of DC Multiverse! The peoples on the internets tell me King Shark is a great CnC figure. This much is true. And I told myself if I found Batgirl at retail (or cheap online) I would consider building one. So on a stop into Wal-Mart, I found Batgirl. And proceeded to pick up Joker, Hawkman, and Jim Gordon with her, as that's all they had. I day or two later, Amazon dropped Jay Garrick to $20 w/ Prime shipping, but I missed out on Zoom. A member on a FaceBook figure group had some to sell for $29 shipped, so I obliged. Overall, I think the cost of the wave ended up right at retail or a bit cheaper, so that's a win. Some thoughts:

Zoom & Jay Garrick: Both are about equal. The articulation should be better, but it isn't (thank you cheap Mattel). They don't balance terribly well in running poses, but they look great and the molded detail is very well done. Zoom's lighting is glued to his back, so that's a shame. The arm ones can be removed though, so that's nice. Jay is OK too, and I've already pilfered the yellow lightning for my classic Barry Allen Flash. The extra 'running' hands aren't quite as good as I imagined... for some reason they look kind of unnatural no matter what I do with them.

Hawkman: I actually really like this figure, much more than I anticipated. The articulation is a bit hampered from the armor, but I like the look and again, the detail is great! The wings can be removed if warranted, and they fold up or expand quite nicely all around... and he's still pretty balanced. I just wish his head had some up/down range so he can look as he flies. The mace is a little rubbery though. A nice, unexpected gem in this batch.

Joker, Jim Gordon, and Batgirl: I didn't think I would like the Joker, but he's grown on me. I don't have any love for TDKR, but this figure is better than I thought. I would have preferred a laughing head without the Batarang peg hole though. You either get serious Joker, or stabbed-in-the-eye Joker. He comes with a pistol and a knife though, so that's a bonus. Jim Gordon is a figure I considered purchasing several times over, but never did. For some odd reason, I really like the look, and he has swappable heads - I like them both equally well. Sadly, his joints are either too tight or too loose depending on the spot. He's OK, just not as fantastic as what I wanted out of it. Batgirl is pretty good overall, but suffers from hindered articulation like all these other figures. As thin as she is, she's still somewhat unbalanced - I think rocker ankles would have done wonders here. The detail is pretty good, but there's some sloppy painting around the belt. Otherwise I like her very much, and her cell (smart) phone and Batarang that are included are pretty nice, and she holds them rather well. So now I also have a decent Bat-family (minus Nightwing) without even trying!

Lastly, King Shark: Such a nice figure! I've got the alternate head too (from Robin), but I think I prefer the original. He's a towering figure that's a head taller than the CnC Doomsday I have (so about a head taller than BAF Juggernaut), making him an absolute monster on the shelf. He's super fun and both heads have movable jaws. Like Doomsday, his design accommodates a good range for the articulation that's there, and his large feet offer great balance. The detailing and paint apps are crisp and well done to boot. Straight away I could see why people like this one so much. Very pleased! :D

Not entirely sure what it is, but even though the DC figures are waaaay behind the Marvel Legends stuff in, well, ...everything, I'm finding more enjoyment with the DC figures. 'Tis what it is.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:I still like my Flash very much, stiff ankles and all. The new Jay Garrick Flash from the TV show has swappable hands, so that's a good sign Mattel might be catching on (likely not).
Those CW show figures look really nice. The ones I've been interested in have had even worse articulation than usual for Mattel figures, though. Reverse-Flash in particular was a disappointment, and no matter how much I loved the portrayal on the show I couldn't bring myself to buy one.
ganon578 wrote:The Multiverse WW stuff is definitely hit-and-miss. TRU and Target near me have it, but the WM's are still stocked full of the Doomsday Wave or Suicide Squad stuff.
Finally found some! I wound up buying the hooded-and-cloaked Wonder Woman on the theory that the bulky clothes would make the embarrassing articulation less annoying. I'm not sure that worked, but at least it looks pretty. It went pretty much straight into the display case, though, with none of the fiddling that new Marvel stuff gets.
ganon578 wrote:Yeah, that Moon Knight looks great. I've only touched on some of the comics with him, right around the time of Civil War/House of M. Otherwise, no desire to follow the character. But, damn, does the figure look awesome!
I've read very few solo Moon Knight books and they all felt like someone had Xeroxed a Batman script and scratched out the names. But the character design is awesome in all its permutations and I've loved it ever since I first encountered him in a random Spider-Man/Moon Knight/Punisher/Night Thrasher crossover when I was little (they were doing a piss-poor job of rescuing Nova from the Secret Empire, and Spidey seemed to only be interested in abusing the hair-trigger psycho with 800 guns on him).

Still haven't found one since the Homecoming wave hasn't hit en masse yet, but it's a movie wave so I'm sure it'll be everywhere in a few weeks.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:If I remember right someone was planning to give the Torch his own series, so exclusivity deals barred them from using him. Which I think is the same reason they had to create Firestar for Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (again, was meant to be Johnny).
That bit of info makes the seemingly-random Firestar miniseries feel...a bit less random, anyway. The whole time I was reading it I wondered "who is she?" and was baffled when the ending had her basically disappear from the X-Men storylines.
ganon578 wrote:ML Cyclops (the new one): Warcry already mentioned Cyclops is a bit of a bad figure - and entirely fair and true assessment. Cyclops looks really good standing still, but all the floppy belts/straps/etc. are a real pain the a$$. Every time I try a new pose something is dropping or shifting or whatever. Some of the joints are a bit loose too, and the elbows could have used more reinforcement. The only reasons I got him were A) I wanted him to lead my X-Men, B) I returned Kitty Pryde to the store, and C) he's hard to find but Amazon dropped him briefly to $25 w/ Prime shipping. Overall he's very 'Meh'. At least he isn't quite as bad as that Star-Lord I had bought.
You did it to confound my attempts to keep track of how many Legends you own, didn't you? :glance:

But yeah, your feedback sounds exactly like everything else I've heard from anyone else who owns the Cyclops figure and it's a real shame. I love this design and I'm really disappointed that Hasbro half-assed it with floating belts instead of molding new body parts where required and gluing stuff down where they couldn't. The 70s Cyclops will fill the character's spot just fine once it comes out (and it sounds like it's starting to!) but the 90s one was the one I really, really wanted to like. :(
ganon578 wrote:DCUC Wonder Woman: Via eBay, decent price. Nice classic figure, and a great addition to my JLA. The arms seem a little thin/frail, but they're holding up quite well, and she's got pretty good balance for having heels and not having rocker ankles. The axe doesn't hold terribly well in her hand and the lasso doesn't detach from her hip, so there's some issues. Otherwise, she's pretty good.
Never been a fan of any of the DCUC-era female figures. The ab crunch looks awful and the arms look like noodles. :(
ganon578 wrote:DCUC Martian Manhunter: Also via eBay to round out my classic JLA, and also at a decent price. Good figure, but some of the joints are a touch loose. And he came in a bit dusty - nothing that can't be cleaned up. He's a nice shade of bright green, and has some nice veins molded into the arms. The cape is on the light (weight) side too, so balance is pretty good. I have him up on a homemade flight stand with Supes and Hal Jordan. :up:
This, on the other hand, is a figure I can get behind! Maybe it's the fact that I only paid $10 for it at a clearance outlet ages after the line had died, or maybe it's because I loved the Super Powers Martian Manhunter so much when I was little, but J'onn is far and away my favourite DCUC figure. The only one that even comes close in my books is the insane Super Powers coloured Mr. Freeze redeco, and I'm not even sure if that counts because it's from the "Batman Legacy" subline.

The boot swivels on MM make a huge difference when it comes to posing, I find. Even without ankle rockers, he stands amazingly well compared to Batman or Green Lantern. That alone makes him one of the most dynamic figures in the line, though like you mine is on a flight stand (or was, until I pulled it down to fiddle with after your post reminded me how great a figure it was.) He's also one of the few figures I own with a huge rubber cape who can actually stand properly on his own without using the cape for support.
ganon578 wrote:Batgirl is pretty good overall, but suffers from hindered articulation like all these other figures. As thin as she is, she's still somewhat unbalanced - I think rocker ankles would have done wonders here. The detail is pretty good, but there's some sloppy painting around the belt. Otherwise I like her very much, and her cell (smart) phone and Batarang that are included are pretty nice, and she holds them rather well. So now I also have a decent Bat-family (minus Nightwing) without even trying!
It's a good thing I can't find her here, or I'd be tempted to buy one just to give her smartphone to Beetle as a Superior Foes reference. Even by my standards, that would be absurd.

I actually really like the quasi-realistic costume this is based on, but I don't think it looks very good in the plastic at all.
ganon578 wrote:Not entirely sure what it is, but even though the DC figures are waaaay behind the Marvel Legends stuff in, well, ...everything, I'm finding more enjoyment with the DC figures. 'Tis what it is.
Although the Marvel figures are way more advanced, the DC stuff has its advantages too. Mattel's sculptors do a fantastic job. The classic designs, like DCUC, have a nice Silver Age look to them, their TV/movie figures are very accurate and the modern stuff usually captures the right feel too. Compared to the Hasbro figures, where almost every character (barring movie stuff) is a Liefeldian roidmonster, Mattel's designs have a nice, clean heroic look to them.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:Those CW show figures look really nice. The ones I've been interested in have had even worse articulation than usual for Mattel figures, though. Reverse-Flash in particular was a disappointment, and no matter how much I loved the portrayal on the show I couldn't bring myself to buy one.
Zoom and Jay are pretty nice sculpts, but you're dead on with the articulation. I just can't get them into good running poses without them looking doofy. I'm surprised that I like Hawkman as much as I do... not a big fan of the character, but the figure is nice, quasi-bad articulation and all.
Warcry wrote:Finally found some! I wound up buying the hooded-and-cloaked Wonder Woman on the theory that the bulky clothes would make the embarrassing articulation less annoying. I'm not sure that worked, but at least it looks pretty. It went pretty much straight into the display case, though, with none of the fiddling that new Marvel stuff gets.
I passed on the cloaked one, simply because I wanted her without the cloak. Turns out the TRU down the road from my work had bunches of it, so I had no difficulty getting my hands on it at retail. The skirt does a good job of hiding the hips, but hinders the range. She's pretty good all around, but just like you, I don't fiddle with her that much. Looks beautiful though...
Warcry wrote:I've read very few solo Moon Knight books and they all felt like someone had Xeroxed a Batman script and scratched out the names. But the character design is awesome in all its permutations and I've loved it ever since I first encountered him in a random Spider-Man/Moon Knight/Punisher/Night Thrasher crossover when I was little (they were doing a piss-poor job of rescuing Nova from the Secret Empire, and Spidey seemed to only be interested in abusing the hair-trigger psycho with 800 guns on him).
NIGHT THRASHER! Holy crap I forgot about that guy! At one point I had his solo book #1 with the (at the time fancy) sparkly red cover!
Warcry wrote:Still haven't found one since the Homecoming wave hasn't hit en masse yet, but it's a movie wave so I'm sure it'll be everywhere in a few weeks.
Me neither, but I haven't looked in a couple weeks since I built King Shark. They're popping up here and there according to the internets, and like you said it's a movie line so shelves should be flooded soon.
Warcry wrote:You did it to confound my attempts to keep track of how many Legends you own, didn't you? :glance:
I did. And it worked wonderfully! Bwahahahaha!

Well, you called it. Tallied up I have 10. Wolverine, Cyclops, Cable, Phoenix, Rogue, Colossus, Logan, Cap, Iron Man, Star-Lord. The last 3-4 are on the slate to be sold off at some point, unless I change my mind. I really like the X-Men, but the movie ones are quite sub-par - luckily I had gotten Cap and Iron Man for super cheap.
Warcry wrote:The 70s Cyclops will fill the character's spot just fine once it comes out (and it sounds like it's starting to!) but the 90s one was the one I really, really wanted to like. :(
The '70s one is from the Dark Phoenix 2-pack, right? That one looks OK to me. I won't be fussed to hunt him down since I've got the '90s one, warts and all. That Phoenix is fancy though.
Warcry wrote:Never been a fan of any of the DCUC-era female figures. The ab crunch looks awful and the arms look like noodles. :(
You're right on that. I wish Batgirl and WW had ball joints there like the Marvel ladies. It would create a more seamless look. And I struggle to get WW's arms to look natural in any position. Batgirl's arms work OK though.
Warcry wrote:This, on the other hand, is a figure I can get behind! Maybe it's the fact that I only paid $10 for it at a clearance outlet ages after the line had died, or maybe it's because I loved the Super Powers Martian Manhunter so much when I was little, but J'onn is far and away my favourite DCUC figure. The only one that even comes close in my books is the insane Super Powers coloured Mr. Freeze redeco, and I'm not even sure if that counts because it's from the "Batman Legacy" subline.
I was able to get MM for $22 shipped, which I thought was pretty fair for such a good figure.

And Freeze counts, it's the same figure, just repainted. I looked that up and it looks good too! Not a big fan of Freeze, so I'll leave that one to your collection. Plus, if I started buying Batman's rogue gallery in those lines, I'd have to find another shelf. :)
Warcry wrote:The boot swivels on MM make a huge difference when it comes to posing, I find. Even without ankle rockers, he stands amazingly well compared to Batman or Green Lantern. That alone makes him one of the most dynamic figures in the line, though like you mine is on a flight stand (or was, until I pulled it down to fiddle with after your post reminded me how great a figure it was.) He's also one of the few figures I own with a huge rubber cape who can actually stand properly on his own without using the cape for support.
All true all around. I'm also fond of the stoic look on his face, as it hits the character right on the nose. I'm pleased with the vein molding on his arms too, very true to his comic appearance.
Warcry wrote:It's a good thing I can't find her here, or I'd be tempted to buy one just to give her smartphone to Beetle as a Superior Foes reference. Even by my standards, that would be absurd.
I actually really like the quasi-realistic costume this is based on, but I don't think it looks very good in the plastic at all.[/QUOTE]

I liked the look back when I discovered it was going to be released. Given that I found her at Walmart where the prices on DCMV figures have dropped to $16.82, it was an easy sell for me. At $20+, I wouldn't have been so pressed to pick her up. Part of the look is also 'DC Super Girls' vibe, which seems decently popular. My daughter is 7, so I see it all the time at stores and birthday parties, etc. Maybe that's why I'm semi-fond of it.
Warcry wrote:Although the Marvel figures are way more advanced, the DC stuff has its advantages too. Mattel's sculptors do a fantastic job. The classic designs, like DCUC, have a nice Silver Age look to them, their TV/movie figures are very accurate and the modern stuff usually captures the right feel too. Compared to the Hasbro figures, where almost every character (barring movie stuff) is a Liefeldian roidmonster, Mattel's designs have a nice, clean heroic look to them.
That's a good point. The only one I felt from DCUC that was a touch too roid-y was Flash, but my son just checked out a JLA book from the library where he's drawn that way, so it works. You're right on the ML figures, they're all (the guys, anyways) very ripped, nearly to the point of being ridiculous.

On a side note, I think some of the upcoming DCMV figures have ball joint hips. Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz?) and the red-headed Batwoman seem to have these, from display pictures I have seen. Sadly, the Supes from the wave has the old articulation system. I think this is a Clayface wave, IIRC, maybe for the Q3-Q4 2017?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Over the last couple of weeks I bought these:

Lego Nexo Knights 70363 Battle Suit Macy

Lego City 60150 Pizza Van

LEGO Dimensions Story Pack - The LEGO Batman Movie
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I picked up a Marvel Legends Spider-Man 2099 yesterday. I'd seen a few around, but the paint job is so detailed and the ones I'd found before always had some pretty obvious flaws (which is the same reason why I didn't order one online). But the one I found yesterday looked great. And it's a very nice figure. The "futuristic Spider-Man" outfit is neat, with a complicated, eye-catching design. I love how the design incorporates a Mexican motif with a few design flourishes, making the spider double as a Day of the Dead-type skull and giving him a head design that doubles as a luchador mask. It's very...artistic, I guess? And very subtle considering how superhero costumes tend to go right to full Captain Ethnic mode any time they want to highlight someone's origins.

I'm pretty sure this is the same base body as Sunfire, so the articulation is superb on top of it looking great.

I own so many Spideys now, and that wasn't the plan at all! But they're all great figures so I don't regret any of them!
ganon578 wrote:NIGHT THRASHER! Holy crap I forgot about that guy! At one point I had his solo book #1 with the (at the time fancy) sparkly red cover!
I barely remember anything about him, other than the silly name. I think he was one of the New Warriors?
ganon578 wrote:Well, you called it. Tallied up I have 10.
:lol:

Didn't expect it to happen that quick.
ganon578 wrote:The '70s one is from the Dark Phoenix 2-pack, right? That one looks OK to me. I won't be fussed to hunt him down since I've got the '90s one, warts and all. That Phoenix is fancy though.
Yep.

Since the 90s one didn't turn out great, I think my ideal Cyclops would probably be the 80s X-Factor one (which is a quick repaint away now that we've got the 70s figure). But 70s Cyclops is a solid design too, and probably more iconic than the other two since it was the costume the character wore in the only time frame where he wasn't a completely insufferable tool.
ganon578 wrote:And Freeze counts, it's the same figure, just repainted. I looked that up and it looks good too! Not a big fan of Freeze, so I'll leave that one to your collection. Plus, if I started buying Batman's rogue gallery in those lines, I'd have to find another shelf. :)
Well, the good (?) news on that front is that so few of Batman's enemies actually have decent toys that you wouldn't have to find too much space. Especially if you want them in a particular style.
ganon578 wrote:On a side note, I think some of the upcoming DCMV figures have ball joint hips. Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz?) and the red-headed Batwoman seem to have these, from display pictures I have seen. Sadly, the Supes from the wave has the old articulation system. I think this is a Clayface wave, IIRC, maybe for the Q3-Q4 2017?
I didn't know about that wave! Batwoman looks really good, actually. So does Clayface but I can't imagine building one since I've only ever made one BAF ever.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Marvel Legends Angela
Disney Store were clearing out the GOTG Titus BAF selection, so I picked up Angela because she looked amazing and I wondered if this was the Spawn character. Turns out it is. And then I watched the nice Toy Galaxy video on all the funny legal shenanigans that have seen her over at Marvel where she's Odin's daughter or something. Whatever. Love this figure! She's so pretty and detailed and I like her sword and the two blade weapons. Paint apps are really nice and she stands up like a soldier. Awesome. Really impressed :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Batman Movie 70905 The Batmobile - 20% off? Why not.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

The Twelfth Doctor's sonic screwdriver. Amazing what you find at Barnes and Noble. Not only did I get the sudden envy of the lady who checked me out, but this is the first full-on toy sonic screwdriver I've ever had. The Tenth/Eleventh Doctor regeneration one(always get the most out of your molds) is a pen as well; and the Eleventh's sonic can not only double as an actual screwdriver with swappable heads, but you can use it as a blunt object to club people with. I love it, but the bloody thing weighs a ton.......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:I own so many Spideys now, and that wasn't the plan at all! But they're all great figures so I don't regret any of them!
I don't own any yet, and the ones I have seen so far in store (Spidey: Homecoming, Spidey w/ Vulture) haven't struck a chord. There's nothing terribly wrong with them, just nothing super special. The Homecoming one's proportions of torso and arm length looked off to me somehow.
Warcry wrote:I barely remember anything about him, other than the silly name. I think he was one of the New Warriors?
That sounds about right. The only comics I ever had were the one I mentioned and a few others... never read them, and they were hand-me-downs. Neat cover though.
Warcry wrote::lol:

Didn't expect it to happen that quick.
Hey, when I get going on collecting, it's fast and furious until I burn out. I've hit that point a bit. And I tend to over-buy and regret, hence CW Cap, Iron Man, and Logan. And Kitty. Ugh.

On a side note, I picked up Moon Knight at Walmart the other day, simply because they had 2, and holy crap he looks really good. This was a week or so ago, and I still haven't opened him up due to time. What I didn't know though, is the tiny moon things he comes with can be pegged in-between his fingers on his closed fists. That's friggin' fantastic! I can't wait to open him, but it will likely wait until after vacation in a couple weeks.
Warcry wrote:Since the 90s one didn't turn out great, I think my ideal Cyclops would probably be the 80s X-Factor one (which is a quick repaint away now that we've got the 70s figure). But 70s Cyclops is a solid design too, and probably more iconic than the other two since it was the costume the character wore in the only time frame where he wasn't a completely insufferable tool.
The X-Factor one is a good look too. What color combo? I'm not a polished comic-guy, but Google shows me blue/yellow and navy/white? The navy/white looks sharp.
Warcry wrote:Well, the good (?) news on that front is that so few of Batman's enemies actually have decent toys that you wouldn't have to find too much space. Especially if you want them in a particular style.
The only ones on my list are the '89 movie-style DCUC Joker and the Super Powers/Friends-style DCUC Penguin. Had both of those as a kid so it would be fun to have some new ones again. :)
Warcry wrote:I didn't know about that wave! Batwoman looks really good, actually. So does Clayface but I can't imagine building one since I've only ever made one BAF ever.
I agree on both accounts. Don't know if I would build him either, since I'm the same as you on BAFs. I built King Shark, but it was a bit pricey to do so, and I ended up with ~3 figures I'm quite lukewarm on. And I cheated on Doomsday and just bought one on eBay for cheap. As neat as Clayface is, I don't think I'll do it. Not too keen on that Robin or Two-Face, and I don't know anything about Batwoman to care much, even though she looks nice. The Rebirth Supes and Jessica Cruz are slighty better for me.
Skyquake87 wrote:Marvel Legends Angela
Disney Store were clearing out the GOTG Titus BAF selection, so I picked up Angela because she looked amazing and I wondered if this was the Spawn character. Turns out it is. And then I watched the nice Toy Galaxy video on all the funny legal shenanigans that have seen her over at Marvel where she's Odin's daughter or something. Whatever. Love this figure! She's so pretty and detailed and I like her sword and the two blade weapons. Paint apps are really nice and she stands up like a soldier. Awesome. Really impressed :)
That Angela looks really good... but I've passed on her a few times. I really dug Spawn back in the day, and the back-history on her is quite interesting. Can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it though.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Stronger - this one's the exclusive charge-up version with silver details and a chrome crest. I decided to finally pick it up after getting the Tamashii Effect lighting...well, effect, and he works great with it.
Attachments
DSCN1373.JPG