Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Cliffjumper wrote:New Stuff[/URL]
That Godaikin reminds me of a cross between G1 Mirage and....a GoBot that I can't remember the name off. Possibly a renegade. Will visit counter X for a visual....

The last one reminds me of the "battle-bots" game where there are two robots in a ring and kids use levers to punch the opposing robot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I picked up the Star Wars Dark Empire II comic 2-pack last night, consisting of Emperor Palpatine Clone, and Luke Skywalker. Very cool set, and very accurate to their comic book appearances. The Palpatine clone even has the weird bubbly skin underneath his cloak! This Luke looks so much better than the old expanded universe figure that came out about 10 years or so ago, very articulate. My only complaint would be that the Holocron accessory isn't best sculpted thing there is, but for its size I suppose it is about as good as they could get.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Rorschach figure (though what I really wanted was the $85 12-inch one to go with Flash) and a free Skottie Young sketch.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Ackula wrote: I picked up the Star Wars Dark Empire II comic 2-pack last night, consisting of Emperor Palpatine Clone, and Luke Skywalker. Very cool set, and very accurate to their comic book appearances. The Palpatine clone even has the weird bubbly skin underneath his cloak! This Luke looks so much better than the old expanded universe figure that came out about 10 years or so ago, very articulate..
Not crazy about Palps, but that is without a doubt the best Luke figure ever made. Really diggin that. I'm on a search myself for the All White Vader with Leia two pack. In general (as with the GI Joes) the two packs tend to be more interesting than the individual figures, although I do like the IG 86 and Magna Droid currently out.

Dead Man Wade wrote:Rorschach figure (
The Regular or Variant Version?

For myself, I just got the GL Uniform version of Sinestro. WIll prolly do a review in the near future.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Zeeks wrote:Not crazy about Palps
He is much cooler once you get him out of the package and strip off the cloak/robe. He is very cool underneath ;)
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Zeeks wrote:The Regular or Variant Version?
Regular. Given time, I may get the variant, but my primary concern was having Rorschach, not Walter Kovacks.
For myself, I just got the GL Uniform version of Sinestro. WIll prolly do a review in the near future.
Have that one. Not overly impressed with it.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Girlfriend's brother bought me DC Classics Batman Beyond and Cyborg. All I need now is Captain Atom, and I'll have Despero (though I'd have preferred it to be the JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice Despero).
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I just found Cody and Rex a few hours ago at Wal*Mart :D

I'd been looking for these two for a few weeks now, and been trying to avoid buying them on eBay as they tend to go for around $15 a piece or more. I'm glad I lucked up and found both, they are exceptionally cool ;)
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Just got around to pictures of stuff.

Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Just got around to pictures of stuff.

Holy SHYTE, Batman......

um, are you single and stuff? Cuz, like, we could move in together...:D

I love how you have DC and Marvel mixed in with everything...that is one really cool room you have. Of course, the GL's by themselves warm my heart, but everything else is just so....DAMN COOL. First thing that came to mind when I saw little Franklin Richards in front of Supes was one of the DC/Marvel crossover stories involving Cyborg Supes and Galactus.....I forget the exact story now, but in the end, Supes gave Franklin his cape, I believe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Sad thing is, that's not even close to all of it. Not to mention, that's only one shelf of stuff. Transformers are in the bedroom, and other things are scattered about. My girlfriend is the most understanding human being I've ever met.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Picked up Marvel Legends Kang and Human Torch, and I'm now that much closer to having Ares.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I picked up the A'Sharad Hett and Dark Woman Star Wars comic 2-pack the other day, as well as the Legacy Darth Vader with 2 part removable helmet. Very happy with all three figures, especially the A'Sharad figure, mainly because of all the accessories he comes packed with. Not only does he have his late father's light saber, but also his own with the ceremonial Tusked Raider hilt, which can be removed and fitted onto the included Gaff stick as well. He also has his Tusken Raider mask as well, complete with a nice hole in the back for his ponytail to flow out :lol:

I'm becoming obsessed with these newer Star Wars figures due to the amazing quality and articulation, for the first time ever I'm actually able to make interesting poses and battle scenes with my Star Wars figures. ;)
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Ackula wrote:I'm becoming obsessed with these newer Star Wars figures due to the amazing quality and articulation
Yeah, I hadn't picked up a Star Wars figure since 1997, but, when a friend started building his own Stormtrooper army a while back, I was really impressed with how articulated they are now.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Picked up Marvel Legends Kang and Human Torch, and I'm now that much closer to having Ares.
which version of the Torch? IIRC, he has about 3 or 4 versions from the ToyBiz line- a few box set versions, and the orginal single figure that came with or without a "4" on his chest.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

(I realize I already listed these as new acquisitions, but I wanted to do them proper with a review).

Star Wars Evolutions: The Sith Legacy Collection

Usually about once or twice a year, I like to delve back into the world of Star Wars to find something new, unique, and reasonably priced to add to my collection, which is primarily made up of the original Kenner Line release, but with the Prequel Trilogy, the abundance of new characters proves just as exciting and interesting. Also, I had just started playing KotOR II: The Sith Lords game, and one of the primary characters was Darth Nihilus, who I thought embodied everything there was about being a Sith, so I found this set in Target and picked it up. Overall, a good purchase. So let’s take this figure by figure.

Darth Maul:
The only movie-recognizable figure in the set, this particular version of Maul is shirtless, and whist I was reading a collection of comic stories (set prior to the Phantom Menace), Maul often appeared in this manner as he was training under Darth Sideous. The detailing on Maul is pretty good for such a small size figure. I can’t get over how much articulation is packed on this figure as well- damn near rivals Marvel Legends on a smaller scale. Bending Torso; elbows, knees, wrists, ankles, waist- pretty much all are bendeable as well as swivel. It reminds me of the GI Joe figures of the 80’s. Maul comes with the double bladed lightsaber, which is one permanent piece- you can’t split the sabers in two. Also, there is a kilt type apparatus that has both plastic and actual cloth pieces to it. The kilt kind of hampers hip joint movement as there doesn’t seem to be a way of removing it. One main detractor is that Maul cannot hold the lightsaber in a single hand- you must have both hands on both hilts in order for him to hold it.Standard peg bottom feet round out this version of Maul.

Darth Bane:
I admit I’m not entirely familiar with the actual character of Darth Bane outside of what Wikipedia has to say, but aside from that, he’s not a bad figure. Bane primarily differs from the other two Sith in the collection by having these “yellow fire” accessories- two wrist gauntlets and one headmask. I actually prefer him without the mask- the simple yet elegant design of the head is enough to let me know I’m dealing with a Sith here. Bane’s chest also bears the yellow fire as a frontal piece, and behind it, you can make out assorted green organs, depending on how the light hits it. Like Maul, Bane also has a kilt piece that is half cloth and half plastic and non-removable as well. Bane’s cape is totally plastic and molded into a “windy array of fabric” design with a couple of frilly collars that actually work in favor of the aesthetic of the figure in general. Pretty much the same articulation of Maul, although his left hand is pre-poised into a “force bolt” configuration, therefore, you can only put the lightsaber in the right hand. Unlike most of the Sith in recent memory, Bane’s lightsaber is colored purple, which is a nice way to set him apart from the competition.

Darth Nihilus:
I decided to save the best for last- Rounding out the collection is Darth Nihilus, I believe this character/figure to be the cream of the crop for this collection- he looks great, has all the articulation of the other two, as well as a total cloth cape (with added battle damage), a plastic hood that is removable, and a cloth/plastic kilt. I removed the plastic hood just to see what was underneath, and Nihilus’ head is damn cool on its own- He has this single black braid of hair down the middle back of his head, and the facial design is just captivating. It’s almost “pre Grievous” in element regarding the eye plates. Nihilus comes with the standard red lightsaber, but the hilt on his differs from the other two- it’s more sleek in design and the switches are very visible. Like Bane, his left hand is already molded into the force bolt configuration, which actually works better for this figure than for Bane. The only minuses are that his outfit is very constricting in terms of chest/waist movement. It’s very hard to get him in any type of seated position. Just like the cape, the kilt has battle damaged holes in both the fabric and plastic parts.

Overall, a very nice collection- and the Legacy Line in general is a good alternative to the Clone Wars animation style figures that are currently out. Of course, the question begs to be asked: How long can Lucas (and Hasbro) beat these dead horses regarding constant retreads of the same characters?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Zeeks wrote:Of course, the question begs to be asked: How long can Lucas (and Hasbro) beat these dead horses regarding constant retreads of the same characters?
The only figure that has been released before is the Darth Maul, and its still a new mold. I think they can, and should keep going with all the rich characters available to them in the expanded universe. I don't really see as much retreads as I do new characters and new versions of characters that we haven't seen before.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Zeeks wrote:which version of the Torch? IIRC, he has about 3 or 4 versions from the ToyBiz line- a few box set versions, and the orginal single figure that came with or without a "4" on his chest.
Hasbro version from the Ares line.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Hasbro version from the Ares line.
Ah, that explains it. When Toybiz lost the ML line, I pretty much stopped buying them save for the Doom figure that came out of the FF-specific line.

RE: new toys- I just picked up Parallax tonight; damn nice figure. Cape is made of a very flexible rubber, and the detail on the suit is amazing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Zeeks wrote:Ah, that explains it. When Toybiz lost the ML line, I pretty much stopped buying them save for the Doom figure that came out of the FF-specific line.
Hasbro's series have been sort of decent. The first few figures that came out were hit and miss (for example, the WWII Ultimate Cap's Paint apps were awful), but the series has gotten better. Articulation's taken a hit, but they deserve mention not only for releasing more characters (Union Jack, Guardian, etc.), but for releasing a Spider-Man figure that was something other than Black Costume Spidey.