Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Whilst at the Trek convention I picked up a boxsert of the model ship partwork's Enterprises C, D and E, plus the A by itself.

Really fun little models, I'd had the D by itself before (though my cat destroyed it) so the real surprise was how cool the C looks. Guess we never saw her at her best on TV when she was ****ed to hell on her one episode and the Ambassador class only filled out a few crowd scenes otherwise. Especially impressive considering she had the least development time of any Enterprise and they had to simplify the design used for the models in the observation lounge a lot to do it on a weekly schedule.

I'll certainly pick up the other Enterprises, though it looks like the easiest way to do that is buy a boxset of the other four "Classic" ones and repeat the A...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:You don't actually read comics, do you? :(
:lol:

Honestly, before I started getting into old X-books this year I don't think I'd read a Marvel comic since about 1993, old TF stuff excepted. I did read a good chunk of DC stuff in that time, though mostly Batfamily stuff.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:He's basically an artificial human created to be the perfect being and lead this wacky cult, but he rebelled and decided to be a good person instead. But there's also the alternate(?) future version of him (the Magus) who is the evil cult leader and oh look I've gone cross-eyed.
That's a much better summary than I found on Wikipedia. Though I gave up as soon as they mentioned that useless asshole the High Evolutionary.

So basically he's The Vision with a few details fudged?
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Hoooopefully the Luke Cage series will help shift a few of the Misty figures that are still loitering pretty much everywhere. It's the wrong Cottonmouth for me to say the same about the other figure. :o
I really hope so.

Cottonmouth doesn't do too bad here, nobody has a clue who he is but he's still a silly-looking man in a snake suit, so people like me who think that's awesome will still buy him. Usually there's just one or two of him on the shelves, not like the six to eight Mistys that have lingered for ever and ever and ever (though I think it's down to three or four now).

If Walmart ever got wise and put her on clearance I'd probably buy one for, like, $15 or less. But, no, they actually raised the price to match the higher MSRP of the new waves.

I mean, I like the character but they picked a terribly boring costume to use. Even just the version of the same suit with the robot arm bared would have been a million times better. I know they're not going to go full blaxploitation and make the 70s outfit that I'm actually familiar with, but the figure they made just looks like a random chick with an afro and a funny glove.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Miles is in the regular universe now anyway, so complementary he indeed should be! :)
Right, I forgot about that! I have no idea what the context is, and knowing modern comics I'm assuming it's stupid, so I'm just going to go ahead and pretend he's the Robin to a wiser, more mature Peter (you know, the one they used to have before Quesada made them erase it all...).
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:He's big and imposing, with a good snarling face and has some reasonable articulation. All in all he's okay, and I'm now one figure away from completing the classic line-up Wrecking Crew. But it's just a shame that the early Hasbro stuff is so expensive on the secondary market when it's so hit and miss in terms of quality. It's the sort of stuff I wish they'd take another pass at somewhere down the line.
I can't even imagine being such a huge fan that I consider anything about the Wrecking Crew "classic", personally, but maybe that's just because the only place I've ever seen them was Ultimate Alliance. It'd be like me wanting to collect Freedom Force or something. But hey, I own a toy of Killer Moth, who am I to talk?

The early Hasbro stuff does look a bit dicey, I have to say. I've looked at a few, of characters or designs I like, but usually a closer look leaves me a bit...eh. Stuff like Banshee or 90s Jean or Guardian/Vanguard (the **** is he blue for?) really don't look any better than the Toy Biz stuff, which I suppose really isn't a huge surprise since they kept on using the Toy Biz molds at least occasionally until a year or two ago.
inflatable dalek wrote:Really fun little models, I'd had the D by itself before (though my cat destroyed it) so the real surprise was how cool the C looks. Guess we never saw her at her best on TV when she was ****ed to hell on her one episode and the Ambassador class only filled out a few crowd scenes otherwise. Especially impressive considering she had the least development time of any Enterprise and they had to simplify the design used for the models in the observation lounge a lot to do it on a weekly schedule.
Are these the AMT/Ertl ones that are more or less in scale with each other? If so, fun little kits! I've built them all at least once over the years.

I agree with you about the C. The Ambassador-class was an amazingly beautiful design and it's a terrible shame that we so rarely saw it on-screen, and never in it's full glory. I don't hate on the Galaxy class like certain people around here (*cough*Heinrad*cough*) but the Ambassador is so much nicer and I think it's because it looks like a TOS design done up with TNG tech. It looks more like a successor to the original Enterprise than anything else they've ever done.

It might actually be my favourite Trek design of all time, though Klingon Bird-of-Prey and the TNG Romulan Warbird both give it a run for it's money.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I heard Target had some of the new basic 2-packs so I swung in. Got my hands on the Darth Maul & Seventh Sister two-pack. I mentioned this earlier, but the paint apps have come a looooong way in one year. They had two on the pegs, and both were in fantastic shape. The detail on these simple figures is much better than when TFA came out as well. Maul is fantastically detailed, even down to fabric-like texture on his pants. Maul's got a small rubbery hood for his head too. Seventh Sister is beautifully done with gloss finish armor and a really well detailed face. She even comes with one of here tiny drones that can perch on her shoulder, as well as her battle faceplate.

This set is really good if you're a fan of Rebels. The pack-in weapon is pretty dumb though. Overall I'm really pleased.
inflatable dalek

Warcry wrote:

Are these the AMT/Ertl ones that are more or less in scale with each other? If so, fun little kits! I've built them all at least once over the years.

This is the newish magazine thing that's been running in the UK for a couple of years now, I think they've got an American website as well now. Did you ever see the old Micro Machines ships? Basically the same size.

Doesn't show the C at her best, but Rhinox agreeded to pose for a scale pictute:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 8481782784

Apparently they're going to do larger models of the hero ships, if they've any sense they'll do a large gold Stargazer as well.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Warcry wrote:I agree with you about the C... It might actually be my favourite Trek design of all time, though Klingon Bird-of-Prey and the TNG Romulan Warbird both give it a run for it's money.
Surely the Borg cube wins all?

:swirly:

Seriously, the C had a huge impact on me as a kid - was my favourite Federation ship design.

I've not really considered which may be my favourite Star Trek ship since Insurrection though... May give it some thought if my brain isn't fried by the late night computer analysis I'm doing. (Damn, why does ArcGIS take so long to process this stuff?!?!)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Not a new acquisition per se, but an update on an old one. A few months back I bitched about my Legends Boomerang and how he rattled around at the hips and couldn't stand. So I finally decided to try and fix him! It was, well...not as easy as I might have expected. His hip sockets were harder than the plastic that the ball joint was made from, and the joint was super tight, so I couldn't just pop them off. Even after heating the plastic, trying to pop the joint apart wasn't going to accomplish anything but tearing the joint off of his crotch. So I actually needed to take the entire crotch apart, slicing it open at a joint where it had been glued and then prying the two halves apart.

It turned out that the bar that the hip ball joints were attached to hadn't been installed properly -- there's a spur on it that's supposed to fit into a socket on the body so that it doesn't wobble, and it hadn't been. So actually fixing the problem, once I got to it, was easy! Unfortunately it took over an hour to get there, and while I was putting the thing back together an air bubble in the glue I was using popped and threw glue everywhere, so I spent another hour afterwards carefully sanding and scraping glue off of Boomerang's legs. But at least at the end of it all, the sonofabitching thing can stand properly now.
inflatable dalek wrote:This is the newish magazine thing that's been running in the UK for a couple of years now, I think they've got an American website as well now. Did you ever see the old Micro Machines ships? Basically the same size.
Is that...Eaglemoss, I think it's called? Where each issue of the magazine comes with a ship? I've heard good things about those too, but the lack of scale between the ships puts me off some. Though the old Micro Machines were totally out of scale but still good fun.
inflatable dalek wrote:Apparently they're going to do larger models of the hero ships, if they've any sense they'll do a large gold Stargazer as well.
You know, I've never thought of that myself, but it'd be a brilliant idea. I'm sure a lot of Trek fans would love a replica of that prop. Though if they get into that, surely wall-mountable ship models like from the Enterprise-D's observation lounge would come first?
numbat wrote:Surely the Borg cube wins all?
You joke, but the Borg cube is awesome. Just looking at it tells you everything you need to know about the species that flies it, which is something that you can say about all the best Trek ships. The designers, especially in TOS and TNG, did a wonderful job of giving their major ships a "personality" that meshed well with the race they were designed for.

Not the first thing I'd choose as a display model, though.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Warcry wrote: You joke, but the Borg cube is awesome. Just looking at it tells you everything you need to know about the species that flies it, which is something that you can say about all the best Trek ships. The designers, especially in TOS and TNG, did a wonderful job of giving their major ships a "personality" that meshed well with the race they were designed for.
The only major alien ship that falls a bit short is the Cardassian battlecruiser, mostly because...well, it's shaped like their freakin' emblem.

Also weren't the Eaglemoss ships a lot bigger than the Micro Machines ones? I thought they were closer to the Hot Wheels ones that came out a few years ago.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Star Wars 75147 StarScavenger
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out Of The Shadows Mutant Melee 6-figure pack -
Bought at K-Mart with the Lego set discounted and the figure pack including the four Turtles and Bebop and Rocksteady.

Lego Ghostbusters 75828 Ecto-1 & 2 - Picked up as a Click&Collect from Myer, was also discounted.

Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Battle Truck - As part of a Lay-by I picked up.

Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of The Shadows Bebop Moto Attack
Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of The Shadows Rocksteady Moto Attack.
Destruction is my specialty
inflatable dalek

Warcry wrote: Is that...Eaglemoss, I think it's called? Where each issue of the magazine comes with a ship? I've heard good things about those too, but the lack of scale between the ships puts me off some. Though the old Micro Machines were totally out of scale but still good fun.
A Transformers fan worried about scale?!

To celebrate having seen every Trek film at the cinema now, I decided to pick up something from the stall Orbital Comics had set up in the foyer. Behold the Art Asylum (NX rather than NCC version) Excelsior! In a scale so different from the smaller ships Warcry will...well cry.

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 7690397696

The old girl really is much flatter and longer than she ever looked on screen where she's mainly shot from just slightly off three quarter views (except for that much repeated stock shock of every Excelsior class ship flying alongside the Enterprise D, but of course she'd scaled to look smaller and shorter than the new ship).
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Marvel Super Heroes 76049 Avenjet Space Mission - Had to go to a couple of K-Marts to find it at on clearance, thankfully the two K-Marts are pretty close together.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76059 Spider-Man: Doc Ock's Tentacle Trap

Lego City 60123 Volcano Supply Helicopter & Star Wars 75148 Encounter on Jakku - The former was on discount while the latter was a lay-by I picked up.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Picked up a bulk lot of the MotU Classics "Club Grayskull" Filmation-style Skeletor, Beast Man and Trapjaw.

Really like them. Obviously the colours are bright and blocky without much detailing, but that's sort of the point. Still plenty of detailing in the sculpts themselves.

I was worried about going full rabbit hole with this stuff, but I'm fairly certain I'll be able to limit myself to just the core characters (assuming Super7 carry on the subline, which I think they've indicated they'll do). Evil Lyn is on the way and I'm hunting for a He-Man that doesn't cost a limb.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Lego Ghostbusters Ecto 1 & 2

Had my eye on this for a while and double points day at Lego made it worth picking up :) I liked the original Ideas set based on the classic film, but the 2016 film version seemed to me to have a bit more going for it - all four figures can comfortably sit in the car, for one. The female Ghostbusters are all great, really nice prints and hairpieces (and facial expressions!), and the inclusion of the token male character and a spooky demon guy are welcome too. The principle vehicle is a good build and a sizeable model too. It looks a bit more 'junk shop' than the original, and a shade more blocky, but I like its styles.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Got a Marvel Legends Taskmaster in the mail today. I'm not super-familiar with the character beyond the basic "trains henchmen for other bad guys" shtick, but the figure looked super cool (in spite of, as I understand it, looking very little like his "proper" comic outfit). And in person, he really does.

I can't decide whether the "Terminator" or "General Grievous" heads work better with the body (as I understand it, the former is his classic head and the latter is the one that actually goes with the body?) but they both look cool. The, uh...lightsaber? is a nice touch and actually looks a ton better than the actual lightsabers that come with Hasbro's Black Series figures. The shield is a nice addition too, even though it's really hard to look at it and not see that it's Cap's shield. That's not really the toy's fault though, as it replicates the comic design well (though personally I prefer the art that makes his symbol look more explicitly like a 'T' rather than just a three-pronged sigil).

The best thing about the figure is probably the ankles, though. Legends are already better than most figures with their ankle rockers, but Taskmaster has a ball-joint above the rocker that gives him even more range of motion than his brethren. It's just a shame that more of the new Legends figures don't copy that engineering.

Also, I now need to find a sufficiently fascist-looking body to pop the Red Skull BAF's head onto.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I was nosing about the Entertainer and picked up Marvel Infinite Series Emma Frost. Or as I now recognise it, 'the scale for less popular characters' . Although I'm not a huge X-Men fan, I did really enjoy her and her relationship with Scott Summers which was one of the best things about those comics.

This figure is AMAZING. The level of detail is excellent, with her nice pearlescent costume and neat paint applications. Best of all is the fearsome pouty scowl she has - she looks brilliant, giving you the evils. Articulation is, as ever, bonkers on these smaller scale figures. She does have some balance issues, as the rubbery cape adds a bit too much weight to her back. Other than that, I am well pleased.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought a limited edition of Star Trek: Beyond that included some statues of the Enterprise as well as two other ships that I'm not familiar, one looks like a smaller, less hi-tech star ship similar to the Enterprise and the last one is probably one of those units that smash through the Enterprise as shown in the trailer.

Lego City 60121 Volcano Exploration Truck

Lego Star Wars 75153 AT-ST Walker
Sades

Post by Sades »

Some K/O LEGO JP stuff I paid too much money for:

2. Cute little Indominus Rex (pic 1 was also of this figure)
3. Clever girls, riders sold separately (and this is exactly how they're going on my shelf)
4. Dilophosaurus
5. Triceratops
6. Tyrannosaurus Rex
Attachments
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.jpg
2.JPG
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades

Post by Sades »

7. Pteranodon
8. Rounded out the collection of Thrones K/Os with Varys, Brienne/Jamie (in bubble packages with a neat homemade card, nice touch), Ygritte, Melisandre, and Joffery (I think?) .
9. Same person I bought the packaged and carded GoT K/Os from had also given these Battle Beasts the same treatment.
Attachments
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.JPG
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Those KO Lego dinosaurs look pretty good quality for KOs.
Sades

Post by Sades »

They're surprisingly good, I haven't tried to stand them on baseplate or anything so I'm not sure if they have the same problems my GoT KOs have (don't quite fit on baseplates) but the paint apps are good and the joints seem to keep together well. They do have the occasional mould/paint defect to remind you they're KOs but not a big deal IMO. They look very nice and my three year old played with them yesterday and they didn't fall apart, so I'm calling it a win.