Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Got myself Leonardo from the new Figuarts Turtles range. Really good. Still a bit on the expensive side for what it is, but definitely good.

Four pairs of interchangeable hands, a spare belt back and an alternate head. Lower legs (and belt buckle) are diecast, so there's some good weight there. Supoib range of articulation. Chest shell's a separate soft piece of plastic, so it comes forward to allow the shoulder a proper range of movement sideways across the chest. Knee and elbow pads are separate pieces too, around double-joints.

Really really good figure. Probably the only things missing are a waist swivel and ab crunch, and obviously those would be ****ing stupid because he's a turtle. V. happy.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I was in B&M in Sheffield and found a neat Batman : Arkham Origins 4 pack of Batman, The Joker, Black Mask and Deathstroke. Cost £29.99 which I thought was a good price, given that the individual figures are around £18.99 or so.

I really like the Arkham videogame series Batman figures, but they're not without their QC issues. Pleasingly, these are without any flaws. They're very solid feeling and have no obvious signs of fragility.

Black Mask is perhaps the plainest looking figure and has the least amount of articulation. He's a dude in a funky white pinstripe with a nicely detailed skull mask (which I think may be carved wood - or supposed to be) and wields two handguns. He's no knee joints, but I don't care.

The Joker has a nice Evil Doctor Who vibe going on, with a sort of Edwardian look going on. He looks pretty plain on face value, but up close the paint and texturing is superb. He has a nice green waistcoat, fancy shirt and a frock coat with a neat brown lining. He has splendid blue mottled trews and a shiny silver belt buckle. The head sculpt is nicely maniacal and the swept back hair is nicely done. He has clenched fists, so can't hold anything.

Batman is a big burly looking brute. He looks like all the riot police. Its a good look. Love his stubble and the steampunk bat grappling thingy thing. At least that's what I think it is.

Deathstroke is phenonmenal. Dinged up armour, metallic paint, lots of belts and pouches (the full Liefeld), a staff, a holstered handgun and a sword. He's got all those Spidey-style joints for awesome fighty poses. He's a really impressive figure and probably the best of the Arkham figures I've picked up (which er, totals 7 including these four).
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Managed to grab a pic of Figuarts cartoon Leonardo alongside Neca's comic version. Tasty.
Attachments
Leo.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That Leo is too cartoony for my tastes, but I can see the attraction. :up:
Skyquake87 wrote:Deathstroke is phenonmenal. Dinged up armour, metallic paint, lots of belts and pouches (the full Liefeld), a staff, a holstered handgun and a sword. He's got all those Spidey-style joints for awesome fighty poses. He's a really impressive figure and probably the best of the Arkham figures I've picked up (which er, totals 7 including these four).
I think that's the same Deathstroke as I've got, going by the description. He's great! I'm not a fan of the line in general, though, since Bane and Firefly didn't impress me at all. Deathstroke is leagues ahead though. Probably the best DC figure I own.

Picked up a couple more Marvel Legends over the last week (and, er, have three more coming Friday).

Movie Ant-Man is a bit of a disappointment. The sculpting is great and the paint work is very detailed, but the head isn't screen accurate and that sort of ruins the point. The on-screen mask probably could look like it, by opening the mouthplate and leaving the visor down, but in the movie itself he never does that. Accessories are cool, in theory, though I doubt I'll ever do anything with the mini Ant-Man or Yellowjacket. Ant-thony is cool, though.

Classic Spider-Woman is great, and was a great surprise --found her in a out of the way rural Walmart that probably gets very little collector traffic. I've become a fan of the character due to her guest roles in some old X-Men books and an old video game, and was sort of cursing myself when I realized they'd done one just long enough before I started collecting that finding it in stores wouldn't be realistic. So actually spotting one was a big yay. The figure itself is your typical female Legends sculpt, so the poseabilty is just okay, but the paint is crisp and the head sculpt works wonderfully. Quite happy to have one, since she's got one of my favourite Marvel costume designs ever.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Warcry wrote: I'm not a fan of the line in general, though
You'll be pleased to know I've gone and bought another then :P

Bought Batman: Arkham Knight Azrael

Jesus H Crikey, he's a serious looking fella. All Crusdaes-era Knight if the Crusades were still happening now (they sort of are, but its Muslim fanatics converting heretics to waste in the name of God and whatnot, rather than intolerant white Christians with flags and horses, in a sad repeat of the usual barbarric religious extremism humanity takes great pride in). He's grubby looking, with stained and torn white robes, chainmail all over the place, a grim looking mask, scuffed body armour and a fab cape. The design is faithful to Quesada's original design, just a bit more SWAT. Good stuff. The figure is hefty, very solid and aces. Bit of a ballache cramming the sword into his hands though, and I'm worried I will snap his thumbs.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Managed to grab a pic of Figuarts cartoon Leonardo alongside Neca's comic version. Tasty.
Mad jelly. Wish I hadn't bought the Playmates Classic ones.

Although at this point, I'd gladly trade the whole lot just for the classic reissues and the party van.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Tetsuro wrote:Mad jelly.
Deactivate.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

SDCC Spider-Gwen Unmasked Statue

Bit of PVC nonsense I spotted in FP a few weeks ago that I'd forgotten about, so picked one up from East Coast Comics for cheapness and really like it :) I've not read any Spider-Gwen, so no idea if its any good, but I do like the design of the character and this unmasked statue looks a damn site less nightmarish than the severed head that comes with the Legends figure. Really pleased. Now I shall plonk it on a bookcase where it can gather dust. Hooray!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

So, my desk is kind of overflowing with Marvel Legends now. In addition to the couple that I posted about a few days ago, I also had a package show up with a few more. And then I spotted a couple I'd been looking for while doing the grocery shopping.

Scarlet Witch (the Allfather-series comic one) would be a fantastic figure, if only it could stand. The costume looks great and the head sculpt is amazing (Seriously, anyone tells you they prefer the sculpting on Toybiz Legends, you show them a pic of this alongside their Wanda. Then you laugh in their face.) The "hex" accessories work a lot better for the character than the similar ones that Havok came with, too, or at least they do for me. She's also got pretty good poseability for a female figure. Unfortunately Wanda stands (or rather doesn't stand) on a pair of crazy high heels that would probably be impractical for clubbing, let alone superheroing, and the only way I can get her to say on her feet is to put her into a squat and let her cape hold most of her weight. So I may have to look into getting her a stand once I put her up on my shelves.

Iron Fist from the same series is apparently made with an old ToyBiz mold, and it really doesn't fit with the newer figures at all. The awful swivel-hinge hips feel really primitive compared to the modern ball jointed ones and are really a mess to pose. But I can see why they used it, because this figure has more range of motion than any other Marvel Legend I own, allowing for some crazy kung-fu poses. And he's got good balance too. He actually stands better on one foot than Scarlet Witch does on two. The range of alternate hands is a nice touch too, but overall this feels more like a poseable statue than an action figure that I'm going to want to mess with a lot.

I have literally no idea about Machine Man beyond the snarky reviews in Dalek's book, but he cost just enough to qualify the order for Amazon's free shipping and he cost about $0.35 more than using paid shipping for the other two. So...why not? (The other choice was Sentry, who I've literally never even heard of outside of his toy existing.) He's actually easily the best toy of the three, with a really nice metallic purple and silver colour scheme plus the awesome extendo-arms and no really obvious flaws. If I cared about the character at all this would be a favoiurite! As-is, though, it's cool but nothing special.

So overall I'm kind of iffy on these, but since I paid between $12 and $6 for each of them I'm pretty satisfied. And while that box was waiting at home to be opened, I also found two new figures I'd had my eye on. Considering they cost more individually than these three cost as a unit, they'd damned well better be pretty good! And they are.

Hobgoblin is definitely a new favourite! I know people complained about the head not being accurate, but as someone who mostly knows the character from cartoon adaptations and the like I don't see any problem with it. I'm happy to admit I'd be a ton more picky if it was, say, Mister Sinister or Sauron rather than a Spidey villain, though. The figure seems to have lots of (what seems to be) new tooling, the poseability is good and I'm really impressed that he can stand on his glider without toppling over. Really, my only gripe with the guy is that he doesn't hold his pumpkin bomb very well.

Movie Black Panther is also really nice. Not nice enough to be worth what he's being scalped for, but at retail he was worth it. He's got good balance, and good range of motion (especially in the ab crunch), so he's good for all sorts of pouncing and crouching. The movie costume also looks really good at this scale. I worried that it would have turned out pretty plain or even look like a capeless Batman, since it's basically all black, but there's a lot of detail in there.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:So, my desk is kind of overflowing with Marvel Legends now.
AS IT SHOULD BE.
Scarlet Witch [...] and the only way I can get her to say on her feet is to put her into a squat and let her cape hold most of her weight.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I had to resort to... which is a shame really, as beyond that she's aces.
Iron Fist from the same series is apparently made with an old ToyBiz mold, and it really doesn't fit with the newer figures at all. The awful swivel-hinge hips feel really primitive compared to the modern ball jointed ones and are really a mess to pose. But I can see why they used it, because this figure has more range of motion than any other Marvel Legend I own, allowing for some crazy kung-fu poses. And he's got good balance too. He actually stands better on one foot than Scarlet Witch does on two. The range of alternate hands is a nice touch too, but overall this feels more like a poseable statue than an action figure that I'm going to want to mess with a lot.
I'm looking forward to getting the new green costume one in the Dr Strange wave. I'm assuming it's a straight repaint with new accessories, but I'm not sure. Gonna have to wait for Hasbro UK to pull their shiz together on that one.
I have literally no idea about Machine Man beyond the snarky reviews in Dalek's book
You... you've not read Nextwave? NEXTWAVE IS COMPULSORY. This makes me sad. And yes I realise I really shouldn't be suggesting more things for you to read :o
(The other choice was Sentry, who I've literally never even heard of outside of his toy existing.)
YOU LUCKY ****ING BASTARD.
Hobgoblin is definitely a new favourite!
He's ****ing ace, isn't he? :) Mine doesn't really stand well on the glider, but once I've hooked him up with a flight stand that should be fine. The pumpkin bomb not going well in the hand is pretty much the only issue.

And going back a bit, the Spider-Woman figure is great too. I found one on Amazon for about £15, which I was absolutely delighted with. I love how they've included two different sets of webs for her arms. Costume's an absolute design classic. I can see why they've veered away from it in the recent stuff, given the character's new role, but it's also nice that she digs it back out again for proper Avengers superheroing.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76067 Tanker Truck Takedown - Was 20% at Toys'R'Us, but I couldn't find it on the shelves, so I asked nicely and they got me one from out the back.

Star Wars The Black Series Imperial Forces - Lay-by'd a couple months ago, finally paid off. The pack includes a Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant Oxixo and R2-Q5.
Destruction is my specialty
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

I got Star Wars black series Obi Wan and Palpatine. And a Darth Vader Model kit.
Attachments
20160908_165013.jpg
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

So my local grocery store has had a bunch of toys in the bargain bin at 50% off, mostly various Hero Mashers - and today, out of sheer boredom, I picked up Carnage and Rocket Raccoon. I figured, even if I don't like them, I can probably chuck them online or something.

I also saw Darth Maul and I find it a bit surprising they went with the comic book half-spider-robot version instead of the one everyone recognizes.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Maul had that design in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons too, I think, so by this point it's probably pretty recognizable.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:AS IT SHOULD BE.
This time last year I had two of these. Now I have...25? Maybe 30? They're kind of addictive.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much what I had to resort to... which is a shame really, as beyond that she's aces.
It's really a shame they don't include stands, at least for figures like this one that will obviously have problems standing. Practically speaking, I know there's not much room in the package with two huge capes, a spare head, a spear and her energy effects crammed in, but Wanda's one of a couple I own who could have really used it.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I'm looking forward to getting the new green costume one in the Dr Strange wave. I'm assuming it's a straight repaint with new accessories, but I'm not sure. Gonna have to wait for Hasbro UK to pull their shiz together on that one.
It sounds like it's a different mold than mine (probably Pizza Spidey, considering what molds they've got in inventory). So it'll be a bit less poseable, but a lot less frustrating to pose.

I'm more familiar with the green costume than the white (and the 70s/80s look at that, with the huge collar, short pants and ballet shoes), but the new one doesn't have swappable kung-fu hands, just extra wrapped fists.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:You... you've not read Nextwave? NEXTWAVE IS COMPULSORY. This makes me sad. And yes I realise I really shouldn't be suggesting more things for you to read :o
Nextwave is on the to-do list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:He's ****ing ace, isn't he? :) Mine doesn't really stand well on the glider, but once I've hooked him up with a flight stand that should be fine. The pumpkin bomb not going well in the hand is pretty much the only issue.
I find that since the glider is flexible, you have to angle the feet just right in order to keep from bending it too much for him to be able to balance. But with a bit of practice I got it to work! I do wish that the shoulders had a bit more range of motion moving out from the body, but he can do a throwing pose so they're good enough. I really have to reach to find anything to complain about, and I'm assuming they're going to get a pretty cool Green Goblin out of this body too.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:And going back a bit, the Spider-Woman figure is great too. I found one on Amazon for about £15, which I was absolutely delighted with. I love how they've included two different sets of webs for her arms. Costume's an absolute design classic. I can see why they've veered away from it in the recent stuff, given the character's new role, but it's also nice that she digs it back out again for proper Avengers superheroing.
I kind of wish they'd equipped her with rubber, flexible wing-webs just so I wouldn't have to swap parts, but that probably would have made posing the arms a bit awkward. But a great figure all in all.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:It's really a shame they don't include stands, at least for figures like this one that will obviously have problems standing.
It's really annoying because they have them on stands when they display them at shows, etc. Then we're just left having to find a way to balance them and hoping there's never any airflow.
I'm more familiar with the green costume than the white (and the 70s/80s look at that, with the huge collar, short pants and ballet shoes), but the new one doesn't have swappable kung-fu hands, just extra wrapped fists.
And fireball effects for the fists! Not fond of the white costume at all, to be honest. The plunging neckline is probably the iconic look, but the new costume is basically how he appeared in Brubaker/Fraction/Aja's Immortal run, which is ace.
I really have to reach to find anything to complain about, and I'm assuming they're going to get a pretty cool Green Goblin out of this body too.
Looks like it!
http://marveltoynews.com/wp-content/upl ... C-2016.jpg
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Warcry wrote:Maul had that design in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons too, I think, so by this point it's probably pretty recognizable.
Just goes to show how badly out of touch I am with pop culture nowadays.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Tetsuro wrote:Just goes to show how badly out of touch I am with pop culture nowadays.
Actually I think I might be mistaken...he has a different robotic bottom half in the cartoon, unless he went back and forth there. Though it looks like the Hero Masher comes with both, if I'm looking at the same thing you were.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:It's really annoying because they have them on stands when they display them at shows, etc. Then we're just left having to find a way to balance them and hoping there's never any airflow.
It's especially a shame because they used to include a stand with every figure, but phased it out years ago. And honestly, 80% of the figures nowadays balance pretty well in most of the poses I try to put them in thanks to the ankle rockers, and don't really need them. But that last 20% -- mostly female figures with high heels or heavy wings/capes, plus that asshole Boomerang and his broken crotch -- are a nightmare to pose without one.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:And fireball effects for the fists! Not fond of the white costume at all, to be honest. The plunging neckline is probably the iconic look, but the new costume is basically how he appeared in Brubaker/Fraction/Aja's Immortal run, which is ace.
I think the colours of the white costume work better than the traditional one, but it has the pretty glaring problem of not looking like Iron Fist at all, just some random cool kung-fu guy. Ideally I'll be able to snag the green one on sale, give him the accessories from this guy and have a perfect Iron Fist for around the retail cost of a single figure. Not sure how that'll work out in practice, though...I have a bad feeling that there will be Strange variants (Three different versions of the guy in one case, Hasbro? Really?) warming the shelves for ages while Enchantress, Iron Fist and Nico are impossible to find. It'll get especially ugly if the two black dudes in the wave catch Finn syndrome and shelfwarm as well.
Oh right, forgot about that. That's...actually surprisingly underwhelming, honestly. It'll probably look way better photographed in realistic lighting, but I always forget how much less interesting Green Goblin's design is than Hobgoblin's. I keep thinking they're basically a palette swap of each other and never remember that Green trades the hooded cloak for an elf hat and has a much sillier face.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:I have a bad feeling that there will be Strange variants (Three different versions of the guy in one case, Hasbro? Really?) warming the shelves for ages while Enchantress, Iron Fist and Nico are impossible to find. It'll get especially ugly if the two black dudes in the wave catch Finn syndrome and shelfwarm as well.
It's a really ****ing weird wave, to be honest. Not sure what's going to happen with it.

We got a Doctor Voodoo figure in 2015's SDCC set, along with a Dormammu. So I can't see anybody who's had over a year to track that down being interested in the BAF and it'll be 50/50 on whether they care enough about Jericho Drumm to want a pre-Sorcerer version as well.

Then you've got Enchantress, who was in this year's SDCC set. Yeah there's deco variations, but I can't see anybody but raging completists needing two slightly different versions of Amora.

Combined with another Iron Fist (coinciding with the Luke Cage Netflix series? Who's planning this?) while the white version is still shelfwarming in some places... plus Nico, who'll be highly sought-after by the people who know who she is, but probably ignored completely by the more casual audience. Could go either way.

Really ****ing bizarre.

I've seen a couple of people indicating that they'll buy the Karl Mordo figure just to stick with their Firefly cast...
Oh right, forgot about that. That's...actually surprisingly underwhelming, honestly. It'll probably look way better photographed in realistic lighting, but I always forget how much less interesting Green Goblin's design is than Hobgoblin's. I keep thinking they're basically a palette swap of each other and never remember that Green trades the hooded cloak for an elf hat and has a much sillier face.
Yeah, it's nice that they tweaked the costume enough so Hobgoblin wasn't just Osborn's costume in different colours... but the problem is they landed on something that's just so much better.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:We got a Doctor Voodoo figure in 2015's SDCC set, along with a Dormammu. So I can't see anybody who's had over a year to track that down being interested in the BAF and it'll be 50/50 on whether they care enough about Jericho Drumm to want a pre-Sorcerer version as well.
Yeah, Dormammu is cool and all but I think anyone who was willing to shell out $200 or whatever buying a whole wave just to get the guy probably would have already paid the $50 or whatever he's been going for on eBay. So the BAF definitely won't be a huge attraction. And the character selection is...I dunno. Even the title character isn't exactly a household name. They just released Strange in the Hulkbuster wave and he didn't exactly fly off the shelves then. I'm sure the movie will make him more popular (although the recent Caps have warmed pegs like a mofo, so maybe not all that much) but not "three per case, one cast in solid white" levels of popular.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Then you've got Enchantress, who was in this year's SDCC set. Yeah there's deco variations, but I can't see anybody but raging completists needing two slightly different versions of Amora.
Didn't they basically announce this right as the SDCC exclusive was being handed out? I'd imagine a lot of folks who'd normally have gone for the exclusive would have opted to wait for the retail version. But how many? I've been assuming that she'll be the set's big seller, but maybe not. Depends on how impatient Legends fans are.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I've seen a couple of people indicating that they'll buy the Karl Mordo figure just to stick with their Firefly cast...
The what, now? He looks a lot more like a Jedi than the Operative in that getup.
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Yeah, it's nice that they tweaked the costume enough so Hobgoblin wasn't just Osborn's costume in different colours... but the problem is they landed on something that's just so much better.
I wouldn't call that a problem per se, but they probably should have tweaked ol'Green's design the next time they brought him back so that he wouldn't tumble so far down the "cool Spidey enemies" rankings.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:Didn't they basically announce this right as the SDCC exclusive was being handed out? I'd imagine a lot of folks who'd normally have gone for the exclusive would have opted to wait for the retail version. But how many? I've been assuming that she'll be the set's big seller, but maybe not. Depends on how impatient Legends fans are.
Think it was announced something like the day after the leftover stock went up for sale on Hasbro's website. So anybody who was at the show will already have one, and there was a week or so for any impatient mofo to chase down one from eBay. Plus overseas folk who would have ordered the set online from other outlets.

Who knows, maybe a yellow belt will be enough to make people double-dip. :o
The what, now? He looks a lot more like a Jedi than the Operative in that getup.
Hey, people pick and mix Masterpiece, CHUG and wacky stylized 3P stuff. Toy collectors be craycay.