Detroit Lions going worst to first?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
another tf fan

Detroit Lions going worst to first?

Post by another tf fan »

Nah, not really, but they did sign Mo Morris and Julian Peterson from my beloved Seahawks.

any hope for Detroit?
Come on and wind me up.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

They have nowhere to go but up. I think a division title, or even the playoffs are out of reach for them though.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Have they hired a good coach? Last I heard, I thought their last one got canned; however, I don't usually keep tabs on the Lions. I certainly hope they do better than 0-16 next season though.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Blitzwing wrote:They have nowhere to go but up. I think a division title, or even the playoffs are out of reach for them though.
I think 5 wins is out of reach for them, and this is coming from a lifelong Lions fan. Well go 5-11 this year, 7-9 the year after and then go 4-12, fire the coach and begin the whole maddening process once again.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Civ wrote:Have they hired a good coach? Last I heard, I thought their last one got canned; however, I don't usually keep tabs on the Lions. I certainly hope they do better than 0-16 next season though.
The Lions new Head Coach for this season is Jim Schwartz, former Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator. Hopefully they will do at least decent, I mean, it can't get any worse than last season (barring the NFL doesn't lengthen the regular season for some reason). I predict they'll go 7-9. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Also, a bit of news I found through SI.com, the Lions updated their logo, seems pretty legitimate since the photo was pulled from the NFL Shop website:

New Logo :up:

Here's to hoping the Lions have a good season!!!
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

It's pretty much the exact same logo with some very minor details added.
Civ

Post by Civ »

A blue lion that looks a lot like the old logo...but with a couple white lines!! Yeesh. I think the old logo looks better. I mean really, why did they bother doing that if it's not a significant change? My favorite team, the Dolphins, did that slight update crap with their logo and I never understood the point. It didn't look different enough to even look like the change was worthy of being called change.

If they're going to change a logo, then go the extra mile and totally change it. You know, like what the Buccaneers, Patriots, Broncos, and Eagles did where the new logos look totally different, a hundred times better than the old logo, and more modern. If I were the Lions, I'd be embarrassed to declare that as the new logo.

EDIT: I went to Deviantart to see if people came up with any concept work for a new Lions logo and look what I found:

http://www.deviantart.com/#order=9&q=detroit+lions+logo

A couple of those look pretty good, especially that first one, IMHO. Unfortunately, I didn't have such great luck with concept work for the Dolphins.

http://www.deviantart.com/#order=9&q=Mi ... phins+logo

EDIT 2: Bubbles!? The old logo is named Bubbles. Christ, no wonder they ****ing lose. The symbol is a male, African lion and they name the ****ing thing Bubbles. Wow.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Blitzwing wrote:It's pretty much the exact same logo with some very minor details added.
Maybe they're trying to stay away from the Detroit Pistons snafu of doing this:

Old School Logo

New Logo (Grant Hill Era)

Newest Logo

The minor changes might be a way of not having a FRICKIN' FLAMING HORSE on your logo...
Civ wrote:If they're going to change a logo, then go the extra mile and totally change it. You know, like what the Buccaneers, Patriots, Broncos, and Eagles did where the new logos look totally different, a hundred times better than the old logo, and more modern. If I were the Lions, I'd be embarrassed to declare that as the new logo.

EDIT: I went to Deviantart to see if people came up with any concept work for a new Lions logo and look what I found:

http://www.deviantart.com/#order=9&q=detroit+lions+logo

A couple of those look pretty good, especially that first one, IMHO. Unfortunately, I didn't have such great luck with concept work for the Dolphins.

http://www.deviantart.com/#order=9&q=Mi ... phins+logo

EDIT 2: Bubbles!? The old logo is named Bubbles. Christ, no wonder they ****ing lose. The symbol is a male, African lion and they name the ****ing thing Bubbles. Wow.
I like the top left in the first link. That's nice. Yep. Bubbles.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Shame with the Pistons, I like the flaming horse logo. The others just look...plain.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Feelings on Detroit's draft? (The first round picks, anyways)

I think overall it went well, they filled some positions that need help (QB, TE, DB) with talented players. It's just Detroit's luck though, to have the overall #1 pick, and have it in a year where there isn't a clear cut, #1 person talent-wise coming out of college. Awesome.

Matt Stafford - Hopefully the quarterback of their future. It's been too many years since Detroit had a good quarterback, and Daunte Culpepper sure isn't getting the job done, even if he's dropped some weight. He's past his prime, but I think he's serviceable for a season to help Stafford out. I think Matt's got a lot of work ahead of him, but he's got a lot of ambition and seems generally interested in making Detroit a worthwhile team again. However, if they don't work on their O-Line, a good quarterback isn't going to mean crap if he's always on his back.

Brandon Pettigrew - Big, fast, talented. I don't think he's going to be a deep threat, but what TE really is? He can block well, which will help out the line, and he's pretty fast for his size. It's also been a while since Detroit has had a good TE. Pleased with this pick, as he's an overall good athlete.

Louis Delmas - Best DB in the draft, period. Speed, good eyes, and decent hands. And he can hit. Even though he's a little small, he's got it where it counts, and his aggressiveness in the defensive backfield will help.
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

They're the lions.

3-13 seems about right, but I dunno. I'm not sure that Matt Stafford is going to propel them to 4 wins with a shitty O-line and nary a tackler on defense, less Ernie Sims. I don't really think Pettigrew is the answer at tight end, cause he can't block at all. He can catch passes however, and that's what he's going to have to do a plenty.

I don't think that Jim Schwartz can change the mentality of career lowes in one season, either.

oh, and hi everybody. been a fair bit.:wave:
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

:wave:Hey Redman.
Come on and wind me up.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

redman prime wrote:They're the lions.

3-13 seems about right, but I dunno. I'm not sure that Matt Stafford is going to propel them to 4 wins with a shitty O-line and nary a tackler on defense, less Ernie Sims. I don't really think Pettigrew is the answer at tight end, cause he can't block at all. He can catch passes however, and that's what he's going to have to do a plenty.

I don't think that Jim Schwartz can change the mentality of career lowes in one season, either.

oh, and hi everybody. been a fair bit.:wave:
I think the shitty O-Line is the top of the Lions problems. QB's don't mean crap if they don't have time to throw. Maybe the FA market will be nice and they can actually spend some money for a change...