Cats, Dogs, Snakes, Frogs... [pets]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

What kind of pet do you have?

Dog
20%
Cat
52%
Horse
No votes
Smelly Dancing Hobo
12%
Other
16%

Total votes: 25

Sades

Cats, Dogs, Snakes, Frogs... [pets]

Post by Sades »

PICK SOMETHING!

I personally have two goldfish, a turtle, two gerbils and a cat. Of all of them, I'd have to say that the cat has the most personality. Mainly because she's a cat. She is also the Cutest Thing Alive, cause I say so. oh, and she is also the Smartest Cat Alive, because she knows some english and figured out a laser pointer in about two-three minutes.

[edit] ahhh crap. I forgot to make it multiple choice. Ah well.
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

no multiple choice...

any way, my dog just knocked over a full beer and proceeded to drink it.

he's a chihuahua.

and I have a tuxedo cat.

and salutations, as it has been too long.
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

No pets allowed in my flat. My brother has a Greyhound who's about the size of a small horse that used to be an exceptional racing dog before getting shoved in kennels after breaking his leg. He's an old boy with a big toothless grin that makes him look gormless but those years surviving unloved in a cage with half a dozen other dogs has given him a great deal of cunning.

My sister, who's now living back with my mother- has just brought a kitten much to Mum's annoyance (they live in a 5th floor flat, this cat will never be going outside). Absolutely lovely little thing though.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Only cats are allowed in my apartment complex and I'm definitely not a cat person. Besides, you have to pay extra rent just to keep a cat plus all of the additional supplies just doesn't make it worth it. In short, no pets for me now. It really wouldn't be fair to them anyway since I'm hardly ever home.

I used to have a dog -- a boxer -- when I was little until he died from cancer. Then, it was some goldfish until my younger brother (then 4 years old) wanted to help feed them. Unfortunately, he fed them Play-Doh and they all died.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

As I think pretty much everyone halfway interested knows, I have a cat called Star who's, basically, a mental. She eats chips and bits of my arm, despite out best efforts to stop her.

We also now have a backup cat 'named' Cuthbert (after Cuthbert Calculus, natch). It's sort of the street stray, but you wouldn't know it to look at him - built like a tank, lovely condition - we have five or six old ladies living on the street, plus us and another couple of cat lovers, so he never goes without food (he probably eats better than most people) or somewhere to stay on wet nights. Amazingly he gets along really well with ours, usually weighing in on neighbourhood turf wars by just battering whoever's bothering our cat. He's also a ninja, despite weighing around a couple of stone, which is impressive.

Star's the multi-coloured one totally failing to act like she gives a toss about another cat being a yard away, and yes, that is a keyfob on her collar - she tends to lose those little metal canisters, so it's just easier that way; Cuthbert's the slightly undersized panther with the yawn that resembles the abyss.
Attachments
PICT0687.jpg
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

One Turtle called Kamesama (which means Mr Turtle, he used to belong to a friend so my friend named him). He's still a baby so he's only about 2-3 inches.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I have to cats; calicos named Emma and Sophie. They're 12. Emma is skinny as a rail and likes to pee on everything (dammit) while Sophie is so fat we call her "The Blob" more frequently than her real name.

My dog, Zoe, died last year at age 15. Had her since I was 7, so losing her really bummed me out. I'd love to get another dog, since I've never been this long without a dog in my whole life, but I might be moving some time soon and having a dog would severly limit my options.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

We've got two cats. The black part-Manx with a stub tail is named Hello. He's a former barncat who hasn't figured out that "former" part. He tries to get outside constantly, and when he does, he kills birds, rabbits, and whatever else happens to wander across his path. He's the clumsiest cat I know as he can't climb up to a windowsill without knocking something over or falling back off again.

We also have a super soft long-haired black and white kitty named Silas. He's a coward. We got him to keep Hello company when our older cat Chani died, but that hasn't worked out so well. Hello wears a collar that jingles, and Silas disappears anytime he hears it. After being in the same house over a year, they have a bit of a schedule worked out where Hello will go to the upstairs bedrooms during the afternoon and overnight, leaving Silas alone so he can roam around a bit and come out to play. Sometimes they'll even tolerate each other in the same room lately!

And I will never own a dog.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

We have an old black cat named Jiji, she is around 10 years or so. She is very lazy and mostly just wants to lay around, and for some strange reason will raid my daughters bedroom at night for stuffed animals, which she will carry through the house and drop in front of my door while I am asleep. Somehow she can even manage to drag a full sized carebear, and she isn't a big cat at all.

I think she is getting senile though, she will scratch the door wanting outside, and then 5 minutes later want back in. Then like 10 minutes later she wants back out, and its not to go use the bathroom, as she seems to only do that inside :lol:

I don't have any color pictures of her on the PC, but I do have this one....
Attachments
jiji.jpg
Hound

Post by Hound »

We have two dogs, corgis, whom I very much want to feed to Cliffy's cat right now as they, for some reason, must have me awake at 10am. No matter how late I was up the night before. Grr.

Here they are Benjamin Harrison and Koda.

Benny's the one who looks like a german sheppard, just with really tiny little legs.

I'd like to muzzle the both of them right now.
Attachments
Koda.jpg
Ben.jpg
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

We have one cat now. Her name is Gabby.
She's really sweet and kind. She's been very comforting since our other cat, Baxter passed away in March.

Gabby is very vocal in the morning. Until you feed and water her, she'll give off single meows. So basically you can have a conversation with her.

Example:
Me: Are you hungry?
Her: Meow
Me: Are you sure?
Me: But there's still food in your bowl.
Me: Well eat that.
Her: Meeeooowww
Me: Ok.

Baxter was our first cat and he was very special to us.

I still miss him.

Here's Gabby:

Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Two cats here, Lola and Bella. Lola is the black, needy attention whore that will nag until she gets what she wants [usually nags at my mother and sister]. Bella is the kinder one, gray with a spray of white. She's quiet and not as athletic and absolutely ADORES me.
Attachments
DSC_0792b.jpg
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Baxter wrote:Baxter was our first cat and he was very special to us.
Indiana Jones!

Sades, what kind of turtle do you have? I would love to get a zenigame, if I had space for another. I have no idea what the breed is called in English though. My turtle now is a Red-Eared Slider, and he/she's adorable. Whenever I go near the tank it swims up to do a little begging for food. I had another slider last year (michelangelo) that I got at a fair, but he was in bad health when I got him and sadly popped his tiny little clogs over the winter :(
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

I have a snake, California King, named Venom. Got a distinct "V" shape on his forehead, hence the name. He is kind of a trickster, and also likes pretending to choke me. Oh, he's about two feet long.

Also have ten hermit crabs. Names are Salt, Pepper, Allspice, Butter, Margrine, Chocolate, Pabrika, Cinnoman, Chile, and Canola Oil. See a theme there?

Also have a dog name Kopaka. Named after the bionicle, if you couldn't tell. He is awfully kind, but is a natural born fighter. Fought of racoons, Great Danes, and cats, only if he has to though.

The cat is named Ben, and is the biggest snot in the world. One time, he found some of my clothes, and peed on them, and I swear he looked me straight in the eye when he did it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

angloconvoy wrote:
Sades, what kind of turtle do you have? I would love to get a zenigame, if I had space for another. I have no idea what the breed is called in English though. My turtle now is a Red-Eared Slider, and he/she's adorable. Whenever I go near the tank it swims up to do a little begging for food. I had another slider last year (michelangelo) that I got at a fair, but he was in bad health when I got him and sadly popped his tiny little clogs over the winter :(
Slider as well. He's been around since the late 90's, and he's awesome in the same way yours is. Sorry to hear about your little guy. :(

I'm gonna try and get proper pics of everyone later. For now, shitty mobile phone pics:

My gerbils

My little buddy.
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

I have one lil monster of a hamster, called Honey because her fur is quite literally Honey coloured. She does nothing but bite the gate 24/7 waiting for someone to go over or try and break out. Hamsters are incredibly strong especially when your trying to wrestle food from it.

I've had around 50 troipcal fish in the past and they all died from some sort of brain tumor (The angel fish commited suicide by flying into the sides of the tanks, it had a huge lump on it's head.) , or the fish get eaten by other fish, or like die from shock when we're changing the water. :(

And all the gold fish go to heaven...and are evil.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

My pet story is long and arduous.....I have been on a roller coaster with it for many months now...

As most of you prolly know, I had 3 pets: Bastian, a BIG fat cat, my dad's orange cat that never had an official name, and Mr. Gazoo, my cocker spaniel.

The orange cat took "the walk" as most cats do when they know it is their time. He had been in the house for 2 weeks, barely moved, was 17 years old, and just wanted to go out on the last day we saw him. We knew what this meant, having many cats in the past.

With Sebastian, it was a ****ing kick to the stomach to lose him. He was indeed my best friend- followed me everywhere- bed, bath, living room; wherever I was, he was there. One night, he wanted to go out and I never saw him again. I don't know if it was because I put some flea and tick drops on him 3 days prior, but I was devastated. We called the local Animal Officer, posting missing pics of him on the town website, but never saw him again. Our best guess is that, being in a very rural town, we have 7 acres that backs up to 100 acres of conservation land. There are confirmed reports and sightings of coyotes, fisher cats, and large foxes in the area. Our best guess is that one of them caught him. I still feel guilty about those ****ing flea/tick drops to this day.

Lastly, Mr. Gazoo was 11 and I had to have him put down about 3 weeks ago. I balled my eyes out in the vet's office, determined that I needed to stay in that room to watch him. I don't want to go into too much detail, but I cried the whole way home. Having been working in the yard, there were tear tracks in the dirt on my face. They had to let me out the side room I was such a mess.

So now, I have three cats: About 3 months after I lost Bastian, we got another cat, this time a female. Her name is BeBe. and she was quite the devil.

About 2 weeks ago, my dad calls me up on a Monday night and says "Im bringing home two cats." I was like, um, ok?!? So now I have two spawns of Satan with no names. We were thinking about calling the younger female Missy, as in "Just what do you think you are doing there, MISSY???" and the other one is still up for grabs regarding a name.

The original three:

BeBe

The two Monsters:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I just got a new kitten yesterday, her name is Yuki, because her colours remind me of snow and/or winter.

My old cat Jiji is not very happy to have another cat in the house.....:lol:

RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

She's absolutely precious.

Here's my little tard-muffin:

Here she is with a dunce cap (I got this from a place called Dick's last resort where their gimmick is that they're rude jerks, and they come around and make you wear dunce caps that say silly crap on them):

Uh-oh! Look out! :eek:
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Folks, what I'm about to present has thus been undocumented in the history of wild house catdom- this was a rare, once in a lifetime shot that will prolly never present itself again. Luckily, the cat goddess was with me and the camera was within grabbing distance.

I present to you- three arch enemies napping together:

Missy, Buddy, and a very pregnant BeBe:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium