[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

angloconvoy wrote:Darksiders was a lot of fun so I will get around to 2 eventually. Mass Effect Trilogy is also on my wishlist. I've been wanting to give it a go for years but never gotten around to any of them.

PS plus has Bioshock 2 for free at the mo, so I gave that a go today. It's...another FPS. So, does it pick up as it goes on or amI wasting my time.
Bioshock 2 is ok if you stick with it. it really lags a bit in the middle but the last 2-3 hours are worth it. But Bioshock 1 was a masterpiece, especially compared to 2. If you find it getting boring before you get past ryan amusements just watch the ending on youtube. The multplayer is pretty good... if you can find a match that is. If you kinda like it but the story isnt deep enough then bioshock 1 is worth looking at if you never played it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Does Skyrim on the PS3 frequently lock up when loading for everyone else, or is it just me? At least once a day my most recent save file is corrupted and I have to reboot everything and roll back to the penultimate save. Plus saving frequently is kind of a cumbersome maneuver. Any tips from anyone?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote: The multplayer is pretty good... if you can find a match that is. If you kinda like it but the story isnt deep enough then bioshock 1 is worth looking at if you never played it.
I hate online multiplayer with a passion. It's actually the main reason that I have so few platinum trophies, because even most single player games have pointless tacked-on multiplayer. I wrote a while back about my awful experience with Red Dead Redemption's online play. I just don't find people screaming abuse and shooting teammates in the back intentionally a worthwhile use of time. Dead Rising 2 had an entertaining multiplayer though. It was a bit different. But honestly, there's no reason the same couldn't have been included as single player or local multiplayer.

I really want to give Skyrim a go but the PS3 version is notoriously buggy and problematic so I'm waiting til I eventually get a new computer and I'll give the PC version a go. Honestly speaking it's criminal that they can still keep the PS3 version on shelves in full knowledge that it's a defective product.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:Does Skyrim on the PS3 frequently lock up when loading for everyone else, or is it just me? At least once a day my most recent save file is corrupted and I have to reboot everything and roll back to the penultimate save. Plus saving frequently is kind of a cumbersome maneuver. Any tips from anyone?
I don't have any good advice, just to say that sounds pretty normal for the PS3 version from what I hear. I have the 360 version and haven't encountered any issues (also normal, from what I hear).

I had a friend that didn't have any problems with his, but that seems like an isolated incident.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

angloconvoy wrote:I hate online multiplayer with a passion. It's actually the main reason that I have so few platinum trophies, because even most single player games have pointless tacked-on multiplayer. I wrote a while back about my awful experience with Red Dead Redemption's online play. I just don't find people screaming abuse and shooting teammates in the back intentionally a worthwhile use of time.
I know what you mean ive only had highspeed internet for less than 18 months so ive always been a singleplayer guy. I dont really understand why when people load up a multiplayer game they become instant 5 year olds, teamkilling and corner trapping ive never understood. Thats why i prefer battlefield people are far more mature and actually care about playing the game the way its meant to be played. But no matter what you play your always gonna end up with idiots. And hell some mulitplayers have no business being made! Like deadspace assassins creed and bioshock 2. They may be fun but sometimes id rather them had cut the multiplayer and put the resources towards making the singleplayer better. Sure multiplayer adds replayabliity but so does a really good singleplayer. i cant tell you how many times ive replayed mass effect just to see the other choices, and well if they cut out the multiplayer for 3 and added an actual ending....
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

angloconvoy wrote:I'm looking forward to discovering the next game I can really get lost in. Feel like it's been a while. Arkham City came close though.
I'm having this problem at the moment as well. I have a surplus of games just waiting to be played, re-played, or finished; none of them are really grabbing me at the moment (Madden 13, Skyrim, Star Wars: KotOR, Halo 2, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Transformers: WFC, Gears of War 2, Lego Batman 2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy 2, etc....). Most of the time when I sit down to play, I just end up booting up Halo 4 and playing some multiplayer (everyone muted, of course). I've been trying to get into Skyrim for a while, and it's a great game for sure, but with my limited playing time, I essentially get no where because everything takes so long to do/get to in that game. It'll just have to wait.

I can't remember the last game that really sucked me in. Maybe Gears of War? Or Skyward Sword? Either way, it's been a damn long time.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote: Thats why i prefer battlefield people are far more mature and actually care about playing the game the way its meant to be played.
Actually, you're not the first person to say that to me.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Pokemon White Version 2, also my brother bought Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Ocarina Of Time. The reason why I mentioned Zelda is because I fave been meaning to buy Ocarina for the longest time (since I bought the 3DS), so now I can play it and I didn't even pay for it.
Destruction is my specialty
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

angloconvoy wrote:Actually, you're not the first person to say that to me.
To me its the best multiplayer experience ive ever had. people say this about all shooters but bf3 feels lke real combat, or at least as close as i want to get to it, and when you find the perfect group of people youll never have as much fun in any other shooter. Ive gotten both COD haters and dehards to play bf3 and they all love it. even if you suck at shooters its good time, like this one live buddy of mine almostnever gets a kill but he can fly a chopper like nobodys business, i cant tell you how many times we have won because he flew us over behind them dropped us off and we flanked caped all flags and held our ground. And i rarely get any hate mail, unlike in codor halo where, almost anytime i do good some idiot sends me a long message telling me to go kill myself. Battlefield is defiantly a place for mature gamers that just want to have fun.

Also i picked up Red faction armagedon brand new, sealed with preorder dlc inside, at gamestop for $10. That was a good deal, but poor THQ. They made such great games, At least south park and metro last light are still coming out before they close for good.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Bought Mass Effect 3 recently. Now, I thought people were just overreacting to the ending at first, but when you play it for yourself, it's actually quite irritating. It just kinda...happened. And the choices are stupid.
I'll be getting some of the downloadable stuff for sure, but the fact that I did everything possible and only got a 50% readiness is kinda bonkers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:I'll be getting some of the downloadable stuff for sure, but the fact that I did everything possible and only got a 50% readiness is kinda bonkers.
The readiness rating only goes up if you play the silly tacked-on multiplayer. There's not much point though, since the only way your readiness rating will even come into play is if you've deliberately ignored all the side-quests and made an active effort during the main plot missions to make the worst choices possible. I'm pretty sure they significantly reduced the number of war assets you need compared to the original game, anyway -- on my second playthough, half-way through the game with a 50% readiness rating cutting my war assets' values in half, I'd already blown way past the required war asset levels.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Warcry wrote:The readiness rating only goes up if you play the silly tacked-on multiplayer. There's not much point though, since the only way your readiness rating will even come into play is if you've deliberately ignored all the side-quests and made an active effort during the main plot missions to make the worst choices possible. I'm pretty sure they significantly reduced the number of war assets you need compared to the original game, anyway -- on my second playthough, half-way through the game with a 50% readiness rating cutting my war assets' values in half, I'd already blown way past the required war asset levels.
Huh, that's pretty weird. Oh well.
Have you gotten any of the single player DC yet? I'm just curious if it's worth it or I should just put it off.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I've downloaded the extended ending, but it really isn't much better than the stock one, just longer. That's pretty mediocre, but it's free so why not?

I've also gotten Leviathan, which really impressed me. It had some of the best action sequences in the game, especially if (like me) you rush into things as soon as you have access to the mission you'll wind up encountering high-level enemies way sooner than you would in the main game. It also gave you a lot of information that puts the ending in context -- the ending flows logically from what you learn in Leviathan, so it feels like a natural part of the game instead of an expansion bolted on after the fact. I'd definitely recommend it, and think it's worth the price.

From Ashes I've avoided, since what you get (a new squadmate, half an hour of gameplay and a few conversations) seems really out of whack with the price you pay.

I haven't played the Omega DLC yet, though if I ever do another playthrough of ME2 and ME3 I'd probably buy it just to have some new content. That probably won't be for a few months though. After no small amount of effort I've finally managed to coax my Win7 machine into running the 1998-vintage Star Wars Rebellion, which proved to be very addictive back when I had an XP machine that could run it.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Warcry wrote:I've downloaded the extended ending, but it really isn't much better than the stock one, just longer. That's pretty mediocre, but it's free so why not?

I've also gotten Leviathan, which really impressed me. It had some of the best action sequences in the game, especially if (like me) you rush into things as soon as you have access to the mission you'll wind up encountering high-level enemies way sooner than you would in the main game. It also gave you a lot of information that puts the ending in context -- the ending flows logically from what you learn in Leviathan, so it feels like a natural part of the game instead of an expansion bolted on after the fact. I'd definitely recommend it, and think it's worth the price.

From Ashes I've avoided, since what you get (a new squadmate, half an hour of gameplay and a few conversations) seems really out of whack with the price you pay.

I haven't played the Omega DLC yet, though if I ever do another playthrough of ME2 and ME3 I'd probably buy it just to have some new content. That probably won't be for a few months though. After no small amount of effort I've finally managed to coax my Win7 machine into running the 1998-vintage Star Wars Rebellion, which proved to be very addictive back when I had an XP machine that could run it.
I got From the Ashes for free of course I pre-ordered the collector's edition. :p Javik is a damn good character and bringing him along with Liara to Thessia mission the banter between them is great, and the argument between them after the mission is a really powerful scene even more so if Liara is your love interest.

Omega is fun and finishes the story started in Mass Effect: Invasion comic book series and you get to see the chance to see Aria in action and see a female turian biotic as well. There are new Cerberus mechs and a new Cerberus controlled Reaper monsters to kill. The cut scenes are spectacular. The riding in a lot elevators is a stupid and pointless homage to ME1 and Aria's speech to the people of Omega is well written but comes off as flat.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Picked up farcry 3 and think its really good. It is far deeper than i was thinking it was going to be, there is so much to do even after you beat the main storyline which is about 25 hrs depending on how fast you go. In about a week ive gotten 820 gamerscore from it, the rest is just coop stuff basicly. It does have multiplayer but i dont plan on trying it theres no achievements tied to it so why even bother since its basicly cod in the jungle. I do love the map editor! You can even make singleplayer maps populated with friend and foe A.I. and even animals!! And the world is massive! as gamespot said its skyrim with guns and it feels great! Beware though the story is a bit dark and im sure alot of people might get offended and this is in no way fit for kids. To anyone looks for a game to kill time with or just get lost in, i suggest giving this a try.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Last week I picked up a used copy of Force Unleashed II on a whim. While short, it definitely filled my desire to play a quick action-heavy game. Plus, it's Star Wars, so the soundtrack was going to be good. I've finished it already, with both endings. Liked the dark side ending much better. Moving on to the Endor DLC since it's only $1. Either way, it was worth my original $13 purchase; probably would have been pissed if I picked this up for $60 though.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

:)

I punched a rabbit in Skyrim! I also clubbed a goat by accident, but punching a rabbit deserves a trophy.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I bought a pre-owned copy of Amazing Spider-Man on Sunday and DmC: Devil May Cry Collector's Edition on Wednesday.
Destruction is my specialty
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Finishing off ME2 with my character named Dingleberry Shepard. Can't wait to import him. He's quite the dick to everyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I traded in bunch of old junk and got Game of thrones,The darkness 2, and DMC devil may cry all brand new. i really need something else to fill the gap between now and dead space 3 and aliens colonial marines cause i blasted through farcry 3. Havent try game of thrones or dmc yet, but i started the darkness 2 cause i LOVED the first one and i have no idea why i didnt buy it sooner! Ive heard game of thrones is pretty bad but it was cheap and i need a good rpg so i gave it a chance. Dmc i bought on a whim, it was new and i sort of liked the 4th one, but i really liked enslaved by ninja theory who made this one so who knows maybe itll b good.