[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sades wrote:I love this game when you first get started. It gets monotonous after awhile though. Plus my attempts to get rid of all the non-deer townspeople are not working quite as well as I'd hoped.

I typically play(ed, haven't in awhile) to fall asleep. Not sure if I can recommend a game that basically just serves as enough brain-distraction to allow me to fade into unconsciousness...
Yep, already feeling like this one's getting boring. I haven't played very much of it, but the monotony is settling in quickly. I don't think I'll own this one for very long. Playing to fall asleep usually isn't a selling point, but I can see it in this one.
Sades wrote:You're probably right on BOTW btw, it doesn't look as grindy as I initially thought. I'm finding it hard to not draw parallels to the Elder Scrolls series, though this obviously has elements of classic Zelda gameplay to it. I'm not as excited about it as Hound is, but we'll buy it eventually and maybe gameplay will change my mind :swirly:
I didn't play a ton of Skyrim (but I did finish Oblivion) and there are some sure parallels there. It's almost like a Skyrim lite, where the elements are there, but it's not as fully fleshed out. BotW does things differently enough that I find it enjoyable. :)

And I got Epona back this weekend! Didn't know you had to register the horse at a stable for her to always be there. So when I scanned the first time, I left her off in the wilderness as I climbed a mountain to get to a shrine :( . It's been a couple of (real world) weeks since she showed up again - I was in a remote location when scanning amiibo and she popped back in, so I took the time to ride to a stable and get her all logged in. :up:

Otherwise I've still been playing... don't know how many hours I've racked up so far (not concerned, been enjoying it too much to care) and finally made it to my first real 'dungeon'. Which is really a giant mechanical elephant with innards that I need to investigate. :D

In other gaming news, I've finally been able to upgrade all four of my Wii Remotes to Wii Motion Plus. With the coming of the Switch, a lot of places are putting this stuff on clearance. My kids are starting to play games a bit better now, and as a reward for a couple months worth of chores I picked up a Princess Peach Wii Remote for my daughter, and a Yoshi one for my son. To go with my daughter's, I found a Peach-themed GameCube style controller on the cheap for Smash Bros., and I'll be on the hunt for a Yoshi one for my boy. I also snagged a Toad style Wii Remote on dirt cheap clearance ($10). All of these round out my set of 4, with my gold Skyward Sword version being the fourth.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Managed an inexpensive Yoshi PDP Fight Pad to match my boy's Yoshi Wii remote from eBay. Should be here around the 10th, so there will be some smashing going on at that time!

Anyhoo, I've pretty much given up on Animal Crossing: New Leaf, as it's just gotten so boring. Seems like it's getting traded the next time I go to the store.

Went through Divine Beast Vah Ruta last night in BotW - pretty interesting, as it wasn't much of a 'dungeon'. Only a handful of monsters abound and just a few puzzles. Very thoughtful though, and enjoyable. :) This game never ceases to put a grin on my face.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Have finally finished Yakuza 5 after 125 hours, rather quickly played through Voltron, where I noticed that some of the animations used for the intro and to tell the story were a bit laggy to the point where the audio was off compared to the animation.

And I am now maybe halfway through Battlefield: Hardline, playing on the PS3.
Destruction is my specialty
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Well, not much more than a month after I picked up Zelda: BotW for the Wii U (and had been playing frequently), my local shop called me up and had a Switch available for me. :)

So I did some more trades (New Leaf went in there) and with my previous credit came out with a Switch for not much cash. The hardware is really neat and of good quality (as expected from Nintendo). The screen is really nice, and much better than playing on the Wii U GamePad. So far I've only got BotW for it, so it wasn't like I was playing anything new. The game looks a bit more crisp on the Switch. It's not the worst thing in the world to restart such a great game even though I was only about a quarter or so in. I'll probably get the expansion pass sometime this summer too.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Made a lot of progress (about 20 chapters out of 30) on God Of War: Ascension, but it feels weaker than some of the other entries including the the PSP games.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

My wife too a trip for the weekend, so that meant I played a bunch of Zelda: BotW when the kids were asleep. Over the course of the week, I've pretty much caught up to where I was after a month on Wii U. Mostly because I know where everything is that I needed to progress, and didn't spend as much time marveling at cooking and whatnot. So now I'm ready to keep rolling on this game, and I didn't even mind playing all the same stuff over!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I have finished God Of War: Ascension, it doesn't play as well or look as good as the previous iterations.

I will probably start on the older Tomb Raider games next.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

HeavyArms wrote:I have finished God Of War: Ascension, it doesn't play as well or look as good as the previous iterations.

I will probably start on the older Tomb Raider games next.
Yep, I felt the same way about GoW: Ascension. And I burned out on the others due to repetition.

For me, I've been playing Zelda: BotW quite often. I've long surpassed where I was on the Wii U, and I'm back into exploration mode. Came across the Master Sword a while back, now I am just building the stuff/stats I need to actually use the thing. And I'm hunting around for various armor sets, etc. It's been such a fun distraction doing all of that, so I really haven't done much with the main story line. Getting the season pass for this will be a no-brainer.

But I may also get NBA Playgrounds this summer too, so I will at least have 2 games on the system. :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Injustice 2 Deluxe Steelbook Edition - Pre-ordered from JB Hifi.

Didn't really play the PS 1 Tomb Raider, really just level skipped through and watched the cut-scenes, I think they've aged to much for me.

Currently playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes, which is like pretty much like any of the other more recent Lego games, but might be a bit buggy.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Thanks to being a GameStop Pro member, I picked up Overwatch for half price. I've actually been wanting to try it, but wasn't sure if it had a single player mode. It doesn't look like it does. Either that, or it has to download most of the game files just to run anything.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Hound

Post by Hound »

There's no single player mode. It's just a multiplayer online shooter.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Finished the Lego Marvel story and now doing everything else, like rescuing Stan Lee and races etc; to attain 100% completion.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Hound wrote:There's no single player mode. It's just a multiplayer online shooter.
I do have to admit, the game is a lot of fun. But I don't think I'd be enjoying it as much if I'd paid full price for it. On the up side, I played for the first time today with a kid who had a headset. Unlike GTA, the kid was polite, didn't swear, didn't scream at other players.

If it wasn't for the fact that I really see no point in having a mic, it almost made me wish I could have talked back to the kid.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Halo Wars 2 Atriox Edition (steelbook).
Clay

Post by Clay »

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Finally finished Breath of the Wild after months of playing. Actually, I completed the main story, but there's still a bunch of shrines to find, Korok seeds to discover, and side quests to play. Not to mention DLC (haven't purchased yet) that comes out Friday. This is the first game in a very long time that I (nearly solely) played from start to finish without any other game distractions. Overall, BotW is one of the best and most enjoyable games I have played in years. Not to mention that I am still playing it after finishing it, simply because it's so much fun to explore and collect items in the game world. The last I checked (this past weekend), I have 85 hours of gameplay racked up on it - amazing considering my typical lack of playing time. I guess the portability of the Switch really helps, as I can play on the couch while the wife watches House Hunters on HGTV.

On another note, I downloaded a $5 eShop game this weekend on the Switch, called Kamiko. It's a retro (8-bit) inspired title with some Action-RPG elements. It's a nifty little title with 3 playable characters, but only 4 Levels. I played as the sword-wielding princess to start, and it took about an hour to get through the whole thing. I suppose the purpose of the game is to rack up points and finish times, like an arcade game. Not too bad for only $5, but after I finish all 3 characters, I don't really see the point in going back.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I found a source port for Descent and Descent 2, so I'm playing that again. It's much more difficult than I remember, but flying the ship around with a joystick is fun.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Have now finished Lego Marvel Super Heroes, bit buggy froze once and almost feels like it's freezing a few more times.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I have just started on Amazing Spider-Man 1, Spider-Man himself looks pretty but every thing else looks rather shoddy.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I just bought LoZ:OoT for the 3DS but am still playing Pokemon White.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you