[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by Warcry »

HeavyArms (or anyone else), do you have any of the modern WWE games? My wife says she wants one for the PS4 and I don't know if there's much difference between the various years aside from the rosters. And as far as that goes, she hasn't watched the show in a few years so older may actually be better.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

While I've been buying the annual releases, I haven't had the chance to play them yet, RPGs have slowed me down dramatically, but generally they'll play pretty similarly to each other with some changes in terms of in-match mini games like pins and submissions or specialty matches.

Stories they tell in Showcase mode also change but that's probably it.

I hope that answers your question.

WCW/NWO Thunder (PS1).

Meanwhile, I gave WCW Nitro and WCW/NWO Thunder a go recently and I found that they're surprisingly fast paced with Thunder specifically being harder to hit normal moves on opponents without grappling first.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

HeavyArms wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:21 pm I hope that answers your question.
I think it does, thanks! I'll see if I can track down a game from '16 or '17 for less than what the new one's going for before I put any cash down.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Hooo! Been a while (work has been absolutely nuts!)

Anyways, several things I've been playing, purchased, etc. Can't recall if I mentioned the original Doom on Switch, which was I think $5. Good nostalgia, nothing special. Plays, looks, and sounds like it should for an old PC game.

A few weeks ago I bought Link's Awakening digital on Day 1. Holy crap, Nintendo did well with this 'remake'. It's all new and beautiful, but retains everything from the original. It gives me that feeling of past days while also being very new and still fun. This was one of the few GameBoy games I had as a kid (even the original version, not the DX/color one!), and it's a great to have a new version that I can (again) cart anywhere. This is probably my second fave behind ALttP.

The day after that, my Sega Genesis Mini came in. It's tiny, beautiful, and really FRICKIN' awesome! This was the first console I purchased (mostly) with my own money. The version I had at the time came with Streets of Rage 2 instead of Sonic. At any rate, I love the mix of games, and that they didn't solely blast the system with all Sonics ever, all SoR's ever, all Shining Force's ever, etc. There's one of each title, with the exception of some Sonic stuff (obviously), and two of the Mickey Mouse games. I'm saddened that with Mickey being there, they couldn't secure the license to put out Aladdin or Lion King, but I guess those are coming to new consoles separately. The US version of the console comes with two 3-button controllers, which is odd since a couple games can really use the 6-button ones that Japan got. It's not a deal breaker for me, since the 3-buttons were the ones I had long ago, and I grabbed an official 6-button Retrobit one from Amazon for when I need it. It was still an extra $20 on top of the console though. Don't let all that fool you though, the Genesis Mini is still really good. The emulation is fantastic, the controllers feel and play great, and the selection of games (42!) is well done (a couple duds, but hey, it happens... lookin' at you, Tetris).

And I picked up Bastion on Switch on sale for $3. Can't beat that! Haven't played it yet, but I already finished it (way?) back on the Xbox 360.

I'm one happy dude right now. :D

Oh, and Nintendo released Jedi Outcast II on Switch. I can't even handle all this!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Resident Evil Revelations 2.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Resident Evil: Origins.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Nintendo eShop sales aplenty, so I grabbed a few things:

Xeodrifter for $0.99. A little retro game in the vein of Metroid. Controls pretty well and the atmosphere is pretty neat. I've always considered this one, but never bit because it was $10 I didn't want to spend. At 90% off, I figured it's now or never.

Mutant Mudds Collection for $1.49. Same reason for purchasing as above. Another retro title, this time a platformer. Tight controls just like above, and the gameplay and art style reminds me of something you would have found on the old GameBoy.

Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition. This was $6 cheaper than the normal full version. Figured I would spend the extra $$ to get the additional 6 fighters. I could have gotten this for the same price on PS4 for something prettier to play, but A) I don't have any room on my PS4 hard drive, and B) I play my Switch more. Plus, my wife wouldn't want to sit there and watch me play this with all the gratuitous violence, so I have the option to play on my own little screen and save her eyes. Graphics surely take a hit, especially in handheld mode, but the visual concession allows this game to play exceptionally well on such limited hardware. Very fun, very bloody (as expected). I think this is the first Mortal Kombat game I have owned since MK: Deception on the GameCube. I'm glad this game is basically Injustice 2 skinned in MK. Those games are always solid, and the same can be said here.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Gears 5 Steelbook Edition - I bought Gears 5 Steelbook Edition which comes with a smaller steelbook that holds a faction pin, also played it a bit to unlock actor/retired pro wrestler Batista as a playable Marcus skin.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Steelbook Edition.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Does anyone here play Overwatch? Wanna play Overwatch? Not right now, obviously but whenever.

We play on PC, and we're not terrific. Just let me say that now. :p I'm a filthy casual bronze player and we (Hound and I) usually just pop in to play Quickplay or whatever, or against AI sometimes. I play a fair bit of Mystery Heroes and I'm terrible at most of the characters, but Hound's not a fan of Mystery Heroes really.

(Should prolly add I play a bunch of other shit as well, not just Overwatch. Hound really only plays OW, but is up for party-type games as well.)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

No Overwatch for me!

However, I picked up a nice new set of Joy Cons for my Switch. I debated on upgrading to the new version of the Switch (the regular one with better battery life, not the Lite), but that seemed like a large chunk of cash for simply more hours of portable time; the trade off didn't seem worth it. So I used some trade credit and bought the blue and neon yellow Joy Cons, which brightens my system and makes it feel fresh. These have the added benefit of being (close to) University of Michigan colors (one of my favorite college football teams) and also blue and chartreuse, a favorite spinner bait combo of mine for bass fishing. So for ~$30, I freshened up my system and gained a couple new controllers. Now I'll be eyeing up some Black Friday eShop sales. :D
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Well, Nintendo had a large 'cyber week' sale that started before Black Friday in these parts. Basically that meant that there was a large portion of digital titles out there for 50-75% off, which was a perfect time for me to grab a TON of stuff that I've been holding off on. Not details, but here's what I grabbed:

Mega Man 11
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Mutant League Football: Dynasty Edition
Team Sonic Racing

I've tried them all, but haven't dug deep. I'll be set for a VERY long time.

And Sindel was released for MK11 over the holiday as well, so I downloaded her. And grabbed another 6-button Genesis controller for my mini system. Wooooo!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've got a giant backlog of really good games like Kingdom Hearts 3, Titanfall 2, several Zelda, Final Fantasy and Assassin Creed games and a couple Pokemon games but I just can't stop playing Overwatch long enough to get to anything else.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Beast Wars: Transformers (PS1) - Was fairly cheap on eBay from the UK.

Had a quick play of it and the cut-scenes are, obviously, rather jaggy and pixelated.

Also, finally got the platinum for the Handsome Jack Collection version of Borderlands 2.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A new joy con comfort grip (red) so now I can pair my grey joy cons with it and my yellow/blue set with the OG black grip.

Also needed a bluray player for the basement, so I picked up a used 160 GB PS3 from a local shop. A decent bluray player and the PS3 were about the same price, so I figured I would also be able to double dip into my old PS3 account purchases. I was surprised I actually had so much for PS3: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, NBA Jam: On Fire Edition, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Pac-Man CE DX, Mega Man X4 & X5, Crash Bandicoot, and Star Wars: Starfighter. I also wanted a couple other titles to go with this, so I grabbed Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, and Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition. I had forgotten how much good stuff was available during the PS3/XB360 era. I might just have to get the two Force Unleashed titles as well!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

To be honest, I enoyed (and still enjoy) the 360/PS3/Wii generation of consoles a whole heck of a lot more than anything the modern era has to offer. It just seems like there was so much more creativity in those days. The modern gaming industry feels too much like modern Hollywood -- it costs so much to make anything that no one wants to take a risk, so instead of inventing something new they just add a bit of polish to what was successful a decade ago. But every single sequel I've played on my PS4 has been less enjoyable than the predecessors I enjoyed on the 360. The huge expense of modern graphics and the increasing forcus on microtransaction-driven multiplayer has dragged down a lot of franchises I used to enjoy.

I got two PS4 games for Christmas -- Spider-Man, which is one of the few games that actually seems to have generated real excitement in recent memory, and Return to Arkham, which is a rerelease of two of my favourite games from the previous generation, and which I'd asked for because it had gone on sale for a low enough price that it was worth it just to have a look at the DLC it included.

I'm currently doing a good job of ignoring them both though, because for some reason I don't quite understand, it's become a Christmas tradition for me to do a playthrough of Arkham Origins every year.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I played through Star Wars: Battlefront 2 to prepare for Star Wars Episode 9, although there's really no connection.

I've also started on Lego Batman 3.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Sades and I bought Civilization VI. It's very addictive even though I suck at it.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Warcry wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:46 am I got two PS4 games for Christmas -- Spider-Man, which is one of the few games that actually seems to have generated real excitement in recent memory.
One of the best games I've played of this generation. Combat is very much in the vein of the Batman Arkham titles but faster paced. The story is good fun and really engaging and the trophies are not insanely unachievable. I enjoyed it so much I platinumed the game then bought all the dlc and 100% all of that too.

Best thing about it is all the attention to small detail and Easter eggs for Marvel fans to go and discover. The webswinging is phenomenal and makes getting from a to b really good fun rather than a chore like most open world titles.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:44 pm One of the best games I've played of this generation. Combat is very much in the vein of the Batman Arkham titles but faster paced. The story is good fun and really engaging and the trophies are not insanely unachievable. I enjoyed it so much I platinumed the game then bought all the dlc and 100% all of that too.
Now that I've had a chance to dive into in, yeah, this is great. I want to say it feels like a someone mashed up the best parts of Arkham City with one of the earlier Assassin's Creed games, but that really doesn't do it justice. The combat is much more varied and fluid than anything either of those franchises offers (the amount of moves at Spidey's disposal is amazing) and the overworld boggles the mind. It's so huge and alive-feeling, and basically everything that Rocksteady failed to do with Gotham in Arkham Knight.
StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:44 pmBest thing about it is all the attention to small detail and Easter eggs for Marvel fans to go and discover.
They had me at "NAZIS made out of BEES!", personally. I'm not super up to date on the Spidey side of the Marvel universe but it really feels like I'm zipping around their version of NYC.
StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:44 pm The webswinging is phenomenal and makes getting from a to b really good fun rather than a chore like most open world titles.
Oh hell yes, the web-sliinging is probably half the fun here. More than once I've completely overshot my destination by a quarter mile because I was enjoying myself so much swiging around that I forgot what I was doing.

Another quarter of the fun is JJJ cutting in at random with another insane podcast rant.