[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by Warcry »

I'm going through sports withdrawal, so I grabbed MLB The Show 19 (on sale for around $20 since this year's game just game out). It's pretty fun. The graphics and player likenesses are really good, especially compared to the mediocrity of EA's NHL series. So is the audio commentary, though I'll probably eventually get bored of it and turn it off.

The gameplay is also quite a cut above the sports games I'm used to. I get that it's probably a lot easier to design AI for a game like baseball, where everything is super structured and flows one play (and player) at a time. But after spending some time with NHL 18 lately its awesome that the AI players actually react the way a real player would to most of the plays on the field. It's really nice to play a sports game for once and feel like I'm actually playing the game, and not an arcadey mockup made by folks who are only passingly familiar with it.

Now I just need to learn to lay off pitches outside the zone, because right now I'm like Chris Davis at the plate...
Sades

Post by Sades »

ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I've now been able to play Fishing Sim World a little bit, and I'm hooked! (har har)

Nah, it's a pretty good fishing game, but nothing I would pay full price for. The visuals are pretty decent, even if the character creator leaves a lot to be desired. The fishing mechanics are quite fun though, once you get used to the casting. I chose the more advanced route, but it's pretty smooth once you figure it out.

Otherwise, I picked up the Celebration Update to Battlefront II since I won't have time to grind out credits for new character looks (PS4 sale) and while I was at it, I picked up Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove for <$4 (also sale). I love the old genesis one, so for that cost I don't think it'll be a miss.

Lastly (AND CERTAINLY BEST) I got Streets of Rage 4 on Switch. Talk about a day for retro Sega stuff! I've played one level and I already LOVE IT.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I fell down a Pokemon hole playing Shield for the last 4 days. Almost finished and it's been so much fun.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Well I've just done a full run on Bioshock Collection (Bioshock 1, 2 & Infinite) Really enjoyed 1 and 2. Infinite was different. Probably not the wisest idea to have played it straight after the others (having never played Infinite before) as it is quite different to the first two and seemed to be more of a generic shooter to me. The Plasmids, or Tonics as they became, really seemed tacked on and I didn't have much use for them. The Skyhook, whilst an interesting mechanic, I really didn't use unless I was forced to either. The story, however, I thoroughly enjoyed despite the real lack of player choices determining the outcome of proceedings
SPOILER! (select to read)
which is sort of the point once you get to the end of the game
Not sure what I'll play next. Possibly either The Sexy Brutale, because I need more time-travelling puzzle games in my life clearly, or What Remains of Edith Finch? because I need more dark story driven puzzle games in my life clearly.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Wolfenstein: Youngblood Deluxe Edition - Bought from EB Games on discount.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

So, thanks to that stimulus thing and lucky timing on checking the Best Buy website, I snagged myself a Switch. Picked up Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 so far, haven't had much time to put into them yet, given that I've been busy with various things this past week.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Smash Bros Ultimate is great. If you've not played Breath of the Wild yet you gotta get that game. I'd recommend Mario and Pokemon also.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Hound wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:12 am Smash Bros Ultimate is great. If you've not played Breath of the Wild yet you gotta get that game. I'd recommend Mario and Pokemon also.
I'm not touching Pokemon. I managed to avoid falling into that pit when I was younger, gonna continue trying to avoid it now.
I keep hearing good things about BotW and Mario, so they're probably on my eventual to-get list but low priority.

Sidenote: The Switch is my first ever Nintendo console (not counting the NES and SNES Classics I have sitting around). Used to play a bit of stuff on the N64 and before at friends' houses back in the day but never actually owned one.
Hound

Post by Hound »

If you've any nostalgia for the NES and SNES era games get the Switch Online subscription. It's worth it for the 60+ games that are available alone. The online gaming on switch games isn't great but It'll do.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Already picked up the Online subscription. Expect to be doing some manner of online multiplayer with a friend at some point
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I downloaded MLB 19 The Show when they offered it on PS Plus. It's fun, but I like just playing through the season with my team, which I haven't figured out how to do. I could do it on MLB 14 and 15, so I'm guessing there's a way to do it.

On the Vita front, I'm working my way through the Danganronpa series. I went through all that hunting through GameStops to find all four games, I might as well play them.

On the Switch, the copy of Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Battle DX I ordered showed up today, and it looks like it should be fun.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Heinrad wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:07 am I downloaded MLB 19 The Show when they offered it on PS Plus. It's fun, but I like just playing through the season with my team, which I haven't figured out how to do. I could do it on MLB 14 and 15, so I'm guessing there's a way to do it.
Assuming they were giving away the full game, you should have an option for Franchise Mode on the second (I think?) tab of the menu. I think that's the only way to play through the season, and you just need to turn off any of the managementy bits you're not interested in. There are about a zillion different toggles when you get into the mode.

I actually just got the game about a month ago and I'm having a ton of fun with it, even though I still haven't learned how to take a walk. I'm about a quarter of the way through a season with my Blue Jays, doing pretty well but of course the lousy Red Sox are running away with the division with a record around 32-9 or something ridiculous like that, so I'll probably be stuck fighting for a wild card. Also I seem to have figured out pitching just in time for half my team to go on an extended cold streak and forget how to hit. Just like real baseball, in other words!

Super impressed with the wide variety of deliveries and pitch movements that I'm seeing too. With some pitchers I can't tell the difference between a high fastball and a curve in the dirt until I've already swung at it and made a fool of myself, and when I'm facing other guys I practically know which pitch is coming before they even start their delivery. Also just like real baseball! Right, Astros?
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Ah, cool. I'll have to do that. Once I get everything turned on and off and whatever, I can have my Phillies beat the ever-loving crap out of the rest of the National League. :D
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Girls und Panzer is a lot of fun. Although I have yet to figure out how to make the tanks drift through corners.

But there's more shopping where that came from.

For the Vita:

Catherine: Full Body - Fortunately I've played the game before, so needing to be able to read it isn't neccessary. There is an unofficial English patch, though. If I can figure out how to download and install it, I will.

Disgaea 4: 3 was fun, so hopefully 4 will be too.

Girls und Panzer: while the game for the Switch is a retelling of the movie, the Vita version follows the TV series, and may have the advantage of not being told as a long flashback.

For the Switch:

Senran Kagura Peach Ball: Pinball and hot ninja girls. What more could you want?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:01 pm
Not sure what I'll play next. Possibly either The Sexy Brutale, because I need more time-travelling puzzle games in my life clearly, or What Remains of Edith Finch? because I need more dark story driven puzzle games in my life clearly.
I really like Sexy Brutale (haven't finished it yet though).

For me Bioshock 2 was always the low point of the series. Always feels like a slow slog of basically more Bioshock 1 but worse. One the other hand, I loved infinite. A lovely colourful game at a time when every other shooter was grey and drab.

I just finished Party Hard. A lovely bit of catharsis for my lockdown. And I'm trying to get into Elite Dangerous. Because I know I'll love it once I get my head around it.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

angloconvoy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 pm I really like Sexy Brutale (haven't finished it yet though).

For me Bioshock 2 was always the low point of the series. Always feels like a slow slog of basically more Bioshock 1 but worse. One the other hand, I loved infinite. A lovely colourful game at a time when every other shooter was grey and drab.

I just finished Party Hard. A lovely bit of catharsis for my lockdown. And I'm trying to get into Elite Dangerous. Because I know I'll love it once I get my head around it.
I've played the opening couple acts of Sexy Brutale already but I'd need to start it again to remember the mechanics.
I sort of see people's criticisms of Bioshock 2, I just thought the change in narrative tract was interesting; especially toward the end of the game as you learn about the little sisters and when you actually play the portion of game from their point of view- seeing the world as they see it- was genius.

The leap to Bioshock Infinite was, graphically, super impressive as an immediate follow on rather than the actual period of time between the two games. Its story was incredibly clever and interwoven into the Bioshock mythos very smartly with enough nods and winks if you knew what you were looking at. My gripe with the game doesn't lie with the appearance so much as the gameplay, as vibrant as the game itself is, the game plays like every shooter before it. The moral choices bore no impact on the game (for the most part) where as Bioshock 1&2leant heavily on that mechanic and it seemed like an odd decision to me based on the fact I played them all back to back.

I've not played Party Hard but I've seen it played. Strikes me as the type of game I'd likely enjoy. Have you played the Hotline Miami games or Not A Hero at all, they're very similar in presentation and Hotline is very similar in gameplay style.

Elite has been one of those games I admire from afar, simply don't have the interest to make the game worthwhile playing but think it looks incredible. I liken it to EVE Online as much as anything, steep learning curve but incredibly rewarding to those willing to give it time.

In other news I've completed Uncharted 2 & 3, really enjoyed those despite them always being "not my style of game" and took a detour into What Remains of Edith Finch (a game that is hauntingly beautiful and worth the couple hours it takes to run through) & have completed Firewatch (which deserves to be played in one sitting to really appreciate it in full) as palate cleansers before I play through Uncharted 4

I got the platinum trophy for one of my all-time favourites, Day of the Tentacle, which probably ranks as one of my most played games of all time.

EDIT : I have now played and competed Sexy Brutale, started from the beginning because I couldn't remember the dynamics of the gameplay. Really enjoyed it, compelling puzzles gave way to compelling story with satisfying conclusion.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Yakuza 6: The Song Of Life - Bought the regular version instead of the artbook version as it was half the price.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:47 pm

I've not played Party Hard but I've seen it played. Strikes me as the type of game I'd likely enjoy. Have you played the Hotline Miami games or Not A Hero at all, they're very similar in presentation and Hotline is very similar in gameplay style.
I finished Hotline Miami, haven't really gotten into Wrong Number yet. Not a Hero is one of my go to games for when I've just got time for 5-10 minutes gaming. Quick level or two and done.
In other news I've completed Uncharted 2 & 3, really enjoyed those despite them always being "not my style of game" and took a detour into What Remains of Edith Finch (a game that is hauntingly beautiful and worth the couple hours it takes to run through) & have completed Firewatch (which deserves to be played in one sitting to really appreciate it in full) as palate cleansers before I play through Uncharted 4
I just replayed Spec Ops: The Line, speaking of the "not my style of game" that I actually like. Edith Finch is on my list of things to get around to, probably when I have a free Sunday evening once I'm back in Japan.

Valid points about Bioshock. I was halfway through 2 when I left Japan, I'll be replaying Infinite once I'm done probably, been a while since I've played it so I'm curious to see where my view of it comes down this time. I think it has a nice commonality with Spec Ops in that it's a game that's actually about you having no choice at all that drives the point home by giving you choices that ultimately barely matter.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Craving some sports these days, I picked up NBA 2K20 for Switch. It's NBA... with a new year. I probably won't be able to tell much difference yet between this and 2K19, but hey, new is better!

Sure, the game will look much nicer and run at 60 fps on my PS4, but I enjoy the portability of the Switch. Plus, the game will likely drop to some absurdly low price on the PS4 in the near future allowing me to double-dip.