[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by Heinrad »

I'm loving the special editions, but the special editions seem to be getting less and less.... well.... special.

Senran Kagura Burst re:Newal Tailor Made Edition for the PS4: And I was able to stick to my guns on this one. I vowed to myself that when I got this game(because I knew I would. It's Senran Kagura), I wouldn't pay full price. It's not the fault of the Marvelous! or XSEED, but Sony and their sacrificing of cheesecake on the altar of public opinion. I admit it, I don't really use the interactive mode(it was a lot more fun on the original 3DS version), but it's more the fact that Sony just gave up instead of saying "Okay, if you don't want little Timmy to interact with anime ninja girls, maybe don't let him buy the game". Yeah, I know, I'm sure there were more points they brought up, at least I hope there were, but it's more the fact that they'll let triple A games have nudity, sex, and violence, but the more niche games get it in the neck. Since I got a new, unopened copy for far less than retail, I'm wondering if I'm not the only one to think this way. C'mon, Marvelous! and XSEED! Go over to the Switch! Everybody and their uncle bought one! Although at this point, all the work they had to redo on the announced Senran Kagura 7 should have made them want to tell Sony to pound sand and move over to Switch.

Wow. I guess I'm still annoyed about this whole thing.

EDIT: And I was still so annoyed, I forgot to say why the special edition wasn't as wonderfully special. They've been putting less and less in for extras.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've finished the story mode for Grand Theft Auto V and I will now be trying to gold a bunch of missions and try out the Director mode and the online section.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A small sale and I downloaded the last map for theHunter: Vurhonga Savanna. Haven't played it yet, but I will in time.

There's also the Days of Play Playstation sale starting tomorrow here in the States, so i will check that out (not that I need any more games, but c'mon).

And if I hadn't mentioned previously (I suffer from CRS) I downloaded Revenge of the Bird King on Switch. It's an Indie retro platformer which was $0.01. You play as a half-eagle half-man who can plant 'gun seeds' to grow guns to use, a huge knife to break walls and cut things, etc. It's absurd. But kind of fun. And it was dirt cheap, so there's that.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth - Another one for my wrestling video game collection.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole - Bought from EB Games for $10.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Days Gone - Bought it while it was cheap and because I like Sam Witwer, so I wanted to support him.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Sam Witwer is so awesome right? I've watched a handful of interviews with that guy. The rest of the world only thinks they're Star Wars fans, he's next level, and he's just genuinely cool. I don't do Zombie Horror though.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Hound wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm Sam Witwer is so awesome right? I've watched a handful of interviews with that guy. The rest of the world only thinks they're Star Wars fans, he's next level, and he's just genuinely cool. I don't do Zombie Horror though.
He's very cool, he's Star Wars knowledge is very deep and I think he's knowledge of other sci-fi series, like Star Trek, is pretty good as well. I can understand how someone might not be into Zombie Horror.

I've pretty much finished with Grand Theft Auto V, I've just got to play a match of Tennis in the online mode, I think.

Metro: Exodus - Bought during EB Games' sale at half-price.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A couple new pickups over the last few weeks:

Ratchet & Clank (PS4): Half off sale. I wanted something lighthearted to play with the kids, and it does the job.

God of War (PS4): Also half off, but on disc through Amazon. Not kid friendly (LOL) but a very good game. Haven't played too much of it, but it's been enjoyable.

And I re-upped my PS+ membership for the first time in a couple years, so I (re)downloaded a few titles that I enjoyed back then: Transformers: Devastation, Gauntlet Slayer Edition, etc.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

HeavyArms wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:34 am Days Gone - Bought it while it was cheap and because I like Sam Witwer, so I wanted to support him.
I didn't know Sam Witwer was in it. I always found him very likeable. Might give it a look next time I see it on sale.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Last of Us Part II Special Edition - Bought from JB Hi-Fi.

Finished with GTA V, I'll move back to Lego Batman 3 and Gears Of War: Judgement and finish them off.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Terminator Resistance - While Wolfenstein 3D is probably my favorite FPS of all time(the original), I did have a lot of fun with a few Terminator games put out by Bethesda years ago, especially the game Future Shock. I've been wanting something like it for years now, and Resistance comes pretty close to bringing that feeling of fun back. It's not perfect(whoever came up with the lockpicking thing for it can have their nostril hairs spontaneously combust), and the ultravision goggles are a neat idea, but I don't think they intended the player to be able to see assets being loaded in.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Devil May Cry V - Bought from EB Games during their mid-year sale.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Finished Lego Batman 3 and I think Gears Of War: Judgement and will now move on to WWE 2K15 and yes, I am quite behind.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Last month, a retro/used video game store opened up just down the road from me. They also have a few toys, but no TFs. I bought a SNES controller with a 10 foot cord, so now I can play my old games without dragging my system halfway across my living room.

I don't know if a niche store opening during covid will last long. I've stopped in 3 times, once when they first opened, once a month later which when I noticed the cords were 10 feet, and a third time shortly after once I'd measured the distance from my SNES to my chair. It's been pretty dead each time. Maybe my buying a $15 controller will keep them afloat another few minutes. I think they also do system/disc repair, so maybe that's their intended to be their main revenue stream.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Working through the MyCareer mode on WWE 2K15 and I'm losing more often than I would like, I suppose because because of my characters sluggishness and low stats.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I love good, old games and I think I found a bargain. Recently, for just over $3, I got the Witcher 2 for Xbox360 and I've been enjoying the hell out of it. I think I'm going through my 3rd playthrough, now and I still don't think I've explored all the options in the story.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Speaking of good, old games, I'm currently playing Skyrim for the first time ever. Good game once I found the factions that weren't just straight up asking me to participate in race wars.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

angloconvoy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 am Speaking of good, old games, I'm currently playing Skyrim for the first time ever. Good game once I found the factions that weren't just straight up asking me to participate in race wars.
Astoundingly, I have yet to play Skyrim. Got a copy for PS4 around here, haven't gotten around to it. Hell, I'm barely starting into MGS5 finally
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

angloconvoy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 am Speaking of good, old games, I'm currently playing Skyrim for the first time ever. Good game once I found the factions that weren't just straight up asking me to participate in race wars.
Have tried time and again to get in to Skyrim but it's just not for me. I've found, as I've gotten older, that the bigger and more open-world a game is the less likely I am to enjoy it. Spider-man was the only game that broke the mould in that run but I can probably point to the license on that as being the reason.
Civ

Post by Civ »

If it helps, Witcher 2 doesn't have very large maps. It's on the buggy side with some of the missions and the hit boxes are on the wonky side; however, the maps aren't very large.