[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by ganon578 »

Tantrum wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:49 pm I'm almost done replaying Twilight Princess.
I started a run on that one last year (the HD version on the Wii U). Fun game, but you're right, the pacing can be awful. The beginning of the game is notoriously slow paced. I never finished my run this time around, since I thought I was close to done but wasn't. I believe I made it to the City in the Sky and lost interest. I know that's fairly close to the end, but I just couldn't make it at the time.

This weekend I found a gem on the PS4 (on sale too!): Fire Pro Wrestling World. I know this series has been around for ages, but I have never played one. Considering the 2K games are pretty trash (though I have never played those) I've had heard great things about FPWW. I was a huge fan of the old N64 WWF/WCW games (Attitude/Nitro era), and was looking for a 'new' wrestling experience. FPWW has a retro look that reminds me of the old SNES wrestling titles. It's plays well once you get used to the button timing. The goal isn't simply to button mash and win matches - it's to put on a good show, even if you lose. It's a strange concept to wrap your head around at first, but it's true to the pro wrestling world at large.

The real reason I got FPWW is the large community that creates wrestlers to download. Though the game itself is branded with New Japan wrestlers, the community has created wrestlers from all promotions and eras. Getting the wrestlers into the game is a bit clunky, but it's free. I've added about 300 wrestlers from WWF/WWE, WCW, ECW, NXT, TNA, and AEW. If I didn't do any sorting of the available characters and items (mats, aprons, etc.) there's ~70K things available. It's awesome!
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I finished the dungeon with the Sols. It turns out part of my issue was the enemy approaching music for that dungeon gets on my nerves. I think they were going for disorienting, but ended up with annoying. Anyway, I turned the volume way down on my stereo, and had a much easier time of it.
ganon578 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 pmI started a run on that one last year (the HD version on the Wii U). Fun game, but you're right, the pacing can be awful. The beginning of the game is notoriously slow paced. I never finished my run this time around, since I thought I was close to done but wasn't. I believe I made it to the City in the Sky and lost interest. I know that's fairly close to the end, but I just couldn't make it at the time.
Yeah, you're on dungeon 7 of 9. All that's left in the overworld after this is a single heart container piece you can get with that dungeon's item. Then, it's the Twilight Realm, which sounds like a large, LttP-esque Dark World, but is actually the smallish 8th dungeon, which has really irritating enemy approaching music. Then, Hyrule Castle, which I believe is a much larger, and more enjoyable dungeon. Have you ever finished that game?

I was hoping replaying TP would keep me busy this winter until it's warm enough to go outside again, but I'll probably finish it up this weekend. I could look for more bugs and poes, but all they give you is more rupees. I already have more than I need, and I always forget to use the magic armor.

I could do the Cave of Ordeals, but I hate the 10 levels of ice enemies. I beat the first 10 levels to get a fairy spring, but the next 30 just give you more fairy springs. The last 10 let you get more of that potion that refills your hearts and doubles your attack. But, I've never used the one I got for beating 20 Poes.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Tantrum wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:14 amI could do the Cave of Ordeals
When I was talking about this game with a friend a while back, I think I called this the "Cave of Mild Inconveniences". It really doesn't feel like an ordeal, except in the sense of being super time consuming and kind of boring. Beating it really should feel like an accomplishment, but almost nothing in this game (except for those damned hands chasing you while you have the Sols!) is actually difficult, so instead of a test of endurance and fighting skill it feels more like a test of patience.

I love the atmosphere of Twilight Princess, but I think I'd have a hard time convincing myself to play it again any time soon because there's just no challenge there. I know Zelda isn't supposed to be Dark Souls, but I should at least have to worry about whether I've got enough fairies and potions when I go into a boss fight.

After a bit of a layoff, I jumped into Portal 2. It doesn't quite reach the heights of the short, sweet, simple original, but it's still good fun. The expanded game mechanics keep it from getting boring, but I also feel like it keeps them from ever being quite as brilliant with the level design as they were the first time around, where they really had to go nuts with just a handful of building blocks to make the final levels really tough. But to be honest it would be worth playing just to hear J.K. Simmons ranting like a crazy man. That's usually worth the price of admission on its own.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Warcry wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:38 am After a bit of a layoff, I jumped into Portal 2. It doesn't quite reach the heights of the short, sweet, simple original, but it's still good fun. The expanded game mechanics keep it from getting boring, but I also feel like it keeps them from ever being quite as brilliant with the level design as they were the first time around, where they really had to go nuts with just a handful of building blocks to make the final levels really tough. But to be honest it would be worth playing just to hear J.K. Simmons ranting like a crazy man. That's usually worth the price of admission on its own.
I think portal 2 accomplishes something that portal 1 didn't. It gives you a reason to care about the characters. The reveals and revelations of the characters, their actions and reactions drew me in as much as the gameplay. Especially on a recent play through.

J. K Simmons is inspired casting though. When life gives you lemons...
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Tantrum wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:14 am Have you ever finished that game?
Yes, back when it was released on the Wii during the launch period. I was lucky in that I had gone to a KMart on release night and they did a raffle (not for $) for the Wii units. Got one of those and TP. Between that and Wii Sports I was busy for months. I don't remember all the details from that first playthrough, just that it was enjoyable at the time. Forgot how long the ending can take.
Warcry wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:38 am I love the atmosphere of Twilight Princess, but I think I'd have a hard time convincing myself to play it again any time soon because there's just no challenge there. I know Zelda isn't supposed to be Dark Souls, but I should at least have to worry about whether I've got enough fairies and potions when I go into a boss fight.
I thought the same when fighting the boss in the Arbiter's Grounds. For some reason I remember it being tougher on the first play, but this time around I blew through it with no problem. Same goes for many of the other bosses.

This weekend I was at a local game shop to kill some time and picked up Super Return of the Jedi on the SNES and Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football '93 on the Genesis!!! Not sure if they'll be worth it in the long run (how much I will play them) but it was fun to revisit some games from my childhood. The Super SW games are brutally difficult but I love the pixel art and sounds. Great overall game! JMSTF '93 was one I bought from a flea market when I was in middle school. Played THE CRAP out of that game back then. I'm not as good at it anymore, but it's still fun. The play-by-play is pretty amazing (if basic) for a game that came out nearly 30 years ago. It was $2, so why not?
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Warcry wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:38 amI love the atmosphere of Twilight Princess, but I think I'd have a hard time convincing myself to play it again any time soon because there's just no challenge there. I know Zelda isn't supposed to be Dark Souls, but I should at least have to worry about whether I've got enough fairies and potions when I go into a boss fight.
I finished TP last weekend, and one room of Hyrule Castle made me think of this comment. There's bunch of blocks that fall away when you jump on them, so there's only one way to safely make it across the pits. There's some creepy ghost knights that you can only see with your wolf senses, like the ones in the graveyard just outside the castle, that point the way. So what does the game do when you enter that room?

Sic you with a bunch of those little bugs from Arbiter's Grounds that make you walk slow, and you can only see with your wolf senses. This ensures that you transform into a wolf, turn on your wolf senses, and see the first knight.

I remembered to use the Magic Armor when fighting the Darknuts in the castle, so I didn't use any of the potions or fairies I brought. And, I actually needed the silver rupees in the castle. I didn't use the Magic Armor during the fight with Ganon, because Link shouldn't look like a doofus when fighting Ganon.

I have the NES Zelda games on the Gamecube special edition, but don't particularly like them, and only finished them on the NES with a Game Genie. My SNES is dead, so I can't play any of those games. The only other Gamecube games I have are:
* a NASCAR game that came with it and holds no interest for me
* Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy which kept my interest just long enough to justify the $3 I spent on it
* Majora's Mask, which I dislike
* OOT Master Quest, which has the same overworld as regular OOT, which I just finished. Plus, when I try to play another 3D Zelda soon after finishing TP, I keep trying to do the sword moves.

I have my parents' old Wii in my garage, but don't care for Wii Sports or the whole flail your arms to control the game idea in general. I just keep it as a backup Gamecube. So, unless I feel like busting out the Atari 2600, I'm probably taking a break from video games for a while.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Dragon Ball Xenoverse & Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - Bought off eBay quite cheaply.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I was impressed with a wireless 8bitdo controller for my TG16 Mini, so I went ahead and ordered ones for my SNES Mini (but bought the rainbow buttoned Super Famicom version) and my Genesis Mini. Both are well made and work exceptionally well, just like the TG16 one. I'll be picking up one for my NES Classic Mini as well from a local shop.

I've you've never explored 8bitdo controllers for retro stuff, I would highly recommend them!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sony was nice enough to put together an individualized 'year-in-review' thing for users, so I took a peek at what I did on my PS4 over 2020. I had already known that I didn't play much of anything besides theHunter: Call of the Wild this year. It was simply too much fun, so much stuff to do, and a lot of varied hunting across a bunch of different terrain. However, I didn't expect that I had played it for 307 hours!!! I can't recall that I have EVER played that much of a single game; not even Zelda: BOTW (boy, I really like '...of the Wild" games, LOL) which I figured was my top ever at ~150 - 200 hours, or Skyrim which is up there as well. At any rate, I was shocked!

I did get a few more retro things for my collection: the two N30 8bitdo controllers came in, and they work well. Good quality and no lag. Additionally, I picked up Paperboy and Wheel of Fortune, both for the NES. WOF was a game my wife had as a kid, and it was $2, so I grabbed it for nostalgia. Paperboy was also nostalgia driven, but I never owned it. I had rented it several times and my friends had it, and it's a blast.

I've also 'completed' a display for all my retro stuff. Looked around online at what others had done, and settled on a $30 6-cube furniture piece. This gives 4 boxes and the top (side) to display the systems and nick-knacks, plus some cartridges. A couple canvas containers to fit the other two boxes and I have places for all the controllers and cords for the various systems. I'm using acrylic coin holders to display the wireless controllers. In the long run I may try to find some additional ways of displaying the cartridges. As it is, I'm very happy that I've only put in about $50 for the whole display. I'll post a photo or two when I get a chance.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Reached a personal goal in theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was to get a Gold level of every animal in the game (some animals are on multiple maps, so I just stuck with the animals themselves). The last was a troublesome coyote, but I stumbled across one while hunting whitetail deer. Now I'll be looking forward to the Te Awaroa National Park release!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Just as I wrapped up my quest for all Gold/Diamond animals in COTW, a new map was released (Te Awaroa National Park). Downloaded it yesterday and the first animal I harvested was a Gold level Feral Goat! What a way to start! Now there's only a couple Golds left for me to get on that map. Just before jumping to the new map, however, I managed to get my 5th Diamond level animal in the game - a SE Spanish Ibex. :up:

In other news, I invested in a Nintendo 64 over the weekend. It's been a long time since I owned one (back in Highschool/College!) and it's a great trip down memory lane. Grabbed a couple games too: Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Super Mario 64, NBA Showtime, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy. Holy cow did I dump hours upon hours into WM2000 back in the day! I also have WCW vs. nWo Revenge on the way. I spent many a day/evening with buddies on these wrestling games, and it's great to enjoy these once again. I also have a N64 HDMI converter on the way, simply to clean up the digital presentation on modern TVs. I'll also want to get an Expansion Pak to pretty up Rogue Squadron and eventually play Perfect Dark. Fond memories! :D
Sades

Post by Sades »

COTW! I should play that again. I don't have any of the expansions but I could crawl around in the underbrush for awhile.

In other completely unsurprising news, I'm playing ARK: Survival Evolved again tonight \o/ Randomly loading up a populated unofficial PVE server, because I can't be on 24/7 to PVP but want to play with dinos. Woo.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The recent news that Blizzard is going to be tarting up Diablo II and rereleasing it for a quick cash grab did very little to make me want to actually buy it, but it did a great job of getting me to install the actual D2 and LoD on my new computer and start busting heads with a Paladin. I'm not sure if there's a single game that I've sunk more time into than Diablo II over the years. Maybe, maybe Star Wars Rebellion or Civ 4? It just never gets old. Neither the original or Diablo 3 had the same level of replayability for whatever reason. I suspect it's because your character in Diablo 2 is so much more customizable.

I also did a playthrough of Dishonored recently. I did something that I don't think I'd ever tried in a video game before and made a completely nonlethal run through the game...right up until the last minute when the final villain started speechifying about how he'd told the ten year old girl that he'd usurped that all the murdering he'd done had been for her benefit, which made me so utterly pissed off that I possessed him and forced him to jump off a bridge. Oops?
StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:00 amI think portal 2 accomplishes something that portal 1 didn't. It gives you a reason to care about the characters. The reveals and revelations of the characters, their actions and reactions drew me in as much as the gameplay. Especially on a recent play through.

J. K Simmons is inspired casting though. When life gives you lemons...
J.K. Simmons is always inspired casting, but I agree that Portal 2 has a brilliant story going for it. In a way I think that takes away some of the magic of the original's absurdities, but on the other hand I feel like that's naturally going to happen when you make a sequel of a game like Portal anyway. Either way, they both wind up being great experiences on their own merits. Just for very different reasons.
Tantrum wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:03 amI finished TP last weekend, and one room of Hyrule Castle made me think of this comment. There's bunch of blocks that fall away when you jump on them, so there's only one way to safely make it across the pits. There's some creepy ghost knights that you can only see with your wolf senses, like the ones in the graveyard just outside the castle, that point the way. So what does the game do when you enter that room?

Sic you with a bunch of those little bugs from Arbiter's Grounds that make you walk slow, and you can only see with your wolf senses. This ensures that you transform into a wolf, turn on your wolf senses, and see the first knight.
You're absolutely right! Most other Zelda games wouldn't have signposted this quite so clearly, at least not once you were so deep into the game.

Thinking about it a bit more, I almost wish that Twilight Princess was a movie or a TV series instead of a game because I love absolutely everything about it except the gameplay. I feel like I'd enjoy it more just sitting down and watching it than I did playing through it and not feeling challenged.
Tantrum wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:03 amI have my parents' old Wii in my garage, but don't care for Wii Sports or the whole flail your arms to control the game idea in general.
My Wii spent the last half decade collecting dust, but we introduced our five year old to it to help with his motor skills and he's absolutely fallen in love with it. We've actually played Wii Sports with him pretty much every day for the last three months. I get why people don't care for the motion controls, but I've been reminded just why I loved it so much. The console seemed to attract a ton of shovelware from developers who didn't understand how to actually make use of the hardware, but when a game works on the system it's just magical. A well-implemented Wii game is just about the most pick-up-and-play experience I've ever had. It's no wonder so many casual buyers picked up a console and it's no wonder why everyone who visited our place when the Wii was cool wanted to play on it.
Tantrum wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:03 amI just keep it as a backup Gamecube.
I always forget that the Wii can play Gamecube stuff until someone reminds me.

I really need to pick up a Gamecube controller and memory card and dig up a copy of Rogue Leader, if nothing else. I absolutely fell in love with that game back in 2005 (?) when it was new. I'd love to have a crack at Windwaker too.
ganon578 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:41 pmSony was nice enough to put together an individualized 'year-in-review' thing for users, so I took a peek at what I did on my PS4 over 2020.
Where would you find this? I'm morbidly curious about how many hours I wasted in 2020.
ganon578 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:10 pmIn other news, I invested in a Nintendo 64 over the weekend.
I'm quite happy that mine is still alive and kicking. In fact it's still plugged into my living room TV, although I probably only use it once every few years. I'll still give Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Rogue Squadron a go every once in a while.

I know this is nostalgia talking, and I know that most of my peers sneered at the N64 and its "old tech" back in the late 90s/early 2000s, but I really do feel like the game catalogue has stood the test of time better than its contemporaries or the generation of consoles that followed.
ganon578 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:10 pmStar Wars: Rogue Squadron
Still a great game, except for the part where if you switch away from the default control scheme the snowspeeder levels become literally unwinnable. Rogue Squadron is actually what's plugged into my console right now.

(Fun bit of trivia: this game was programmed in such an arcane way that it's still pretty much impossible to emulate even on modern machines.)

I remember enjoying the kinda-sequel, Battle For Naboo, quite a bit as well. It's been ages since I've played that one, though.
ganon578 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:10 pmI'll also want to get an Expansion Pak to pretty up Rogue Squadron and eventually play Perfect Dark. Fond memories! :D
I'm honestly stunned that any N64s are even out there that don't have an Expansion Pak installed. I seem to remember that most of the good games for the last half of the console's lifespan were unplayable without it.

I have amazing memories of Perfect Dark as well. I'm fairly sure my multiplayer avatar (if I could find a copy of it) has around 200 hours logged, most of that just from the summer after it came out (which I believe was the break between grade 11 and grade 12 for me). I don't think I have even a fraction as much nostalgia for any game in the world as I do for Perfect Dark. The last few times I've played it though, it's been the prettied-up Xbox Live Arcade version. Which is nice, but it lacks the charm of the original.

And by "charm", I obviously mean the ability to reduce the system to half a frame per second while playing multiplayer in the Temple.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I started playing Kingdom Hearts 3 a few weeks back and I have it on normal difficulty and I played through the first world but I almost literally just smashed the attack button the entire time and made it through with little difficulty and to be honest it kind of killed my enthusiasm to continue. I guess I could up the difficulty but I also don't want a frustrating time because I'm just playing casually when I have spare time. I've not played any of the previous games in the franchise but I figured it's so beloved that I should give this newest one a shot and I think it looks great and I do like Disney. I'll get back to it but I don't know how soon.

Lately all I've been wanting to play is Pokemon. I replayed Emerald this month for the second time because it is so good but I also played Leaf Green this week for the first time because I'd never played the Gen 3 remakes of Gen 1.

Pokemon and Overwatch because I can always get into several hours of Overwatch without even noticing how much time has passed.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 am Where would you find this? I'm morbidly curious about how many hours I wasted in 2020.
I believe the link is: wrapup.playstation.com

Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Warcry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 am The recent news that Blizzard is going to be tarting up Diablo II and rereleasing it for a quick cash grab did very little to make me want to actually buy it, but it did a great job of getting me to install the actual D2 and LoD on my new computer and start busting heads with a Paladin. I'm not sure if there's a single game that I've sunk more time into than Diablo II over the years. Maybe, maybe Star Wars Rebellion or Civ 4? It just never gets old. Neither the original or Diablo 3 had the same level of replayability for whatever reason. I suspect it's because your character in Diablo 2 is so much more customizable.
I'm in the very preliminary stages of cautious optimism on this D2 remaster. It's modern Blizzard so that tempers any and all expectations, but word is it's being done by the Vicarious Visions team who were recently folded into Blizzard. Thems the guys what did the fantastic THPS1+2 remake, so they seemingly know what they're doing.
The other thing that has me not immediately crying doom about the remake is some of the quick looks we've had of it that have shown the interface included the old 1-4 key indicators for the belt slots and the F-Key indicators on the left and right click skills. Leads me to believe they won't hamstring the PC controls to enforce parity with the console versions.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

[/quote]
Sades wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 am COTW! I should play that again. I don't have any of the expansions but I could crawl around in the underbrush for awhile.
You should! It's not a game for everyone, but for whatever reason it is right up my alley with interest & the gameplay. "I'll play for 20 minutes" typically turns into an hour for me.
Warcry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 amIt just never gets old. Neither the original or Diablo 3 had the same level of replayability for whatever reason. I suspect it's because your character in Diablo 2 is so much more customizable.
I'm a sucker for the original and I've played 3 quite a bit too. I'm looking forward to 2 though, since I haven't played it since my college days.
Warcry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 amI always forget that the Wii can play Gamecube stuff until someone reminds me.
I think only the original white ones do though. The later black ones had that removed to save costs. I use my Wii exclusively for GC stuff, but that's also because I have a Wii U as well.
Warcry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 amI really need to pick up a Gamecube controller and memory card and dig up a copy of Rogue Leader, if nothing else. I absolutely fell in love with that game back in 2005 (?) when it was new. I'd love to have a crack at Windwaker too.
I have the two Rogue Squadrons on the shelf and bust them out every now and then. Classic. I love the first Death Star level on the first game!
Warcry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 am I'm quite happy that mine is still alive and kicking. In fact it's still plugged into my living room TV, although I probably only use it once every few years. I'll still give Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Rogue Squadron a go every once in a while.

I know this is nostalgia talking, and I know that most of my peers sneered at the N64 and its "old tech" back in the late 90s/early 2000s, but I really do feel like the game catalogue has stood the test of time better than its contemporaries or the generation of consoles that followed.
It took me a bit to adjust to how it looks on my HDTV with the RCA plugs, but it still works well. I'm glad I dove back in! As you said, the library is actually pretty awesome even after all these years (and even though modern TVs just can't make it look that sharp).
Warcry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 am(Fun bit of trivia: this game was programmed in such an arcane way that it's still pretty much impossible to emulate even on modern machines.)
I think that's across the board for N64 in general too. That's why no one has released much in the area of 3rd party clone consoles & emulators.
Warcry wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 amI'm honestly stunned that any N64s are even out there that don't have an Expansion Pak installed. I seem to remember that most of the good games for the last half of the console's lifespan were unplayable without it.
I was surprised as well too. I don't know if that's because people have 'parted' them out over time and sold the systems separate from the pak or what. But the local shop I got it from said they have a 'waiting list' for the paks, but I just ordered one off eBay. Seems that the going rate right now is ~$50 USD, which could be higher than normal because of the pandemic. According to the guy at the shop, their N64 library diminished significantly over last year with people being stuck at home and trying to find things to do. Apparently building an N64 library was one of the top things to do!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've taken some time away from playing Resident Evil 0 and finishing WWE 2K15 to play through Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Omega Labyrinth Z for the PS Vita: Let’s hear it for PlayAsia and they’re seemingly endless supply of Vita games.... although even they have their limits. I had ordered a different game originally, but after I ordered it, I got an email telling me it was out of stock, which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing as after I ordered it I couldn’t remember if it was Asian English or not, and since it was a visual novel, I may have come out ahead. So looking around on their site, I found another under $20 game to get instead. However, it looks like I really need to stop looking at the box art and look more closely at the language. I’ve got the Chinese version, and my language choices are Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. The back of the box seems to indicate you can get English subtitles, but I got no clue how.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

PlayAsia has come through again, and now I have a couple of games that cost a lot on the secondary market for retail price. Or at least they used to, thanks to PlayAsia restocks and selling them for retail.

Accel World vs Sword Art Online: I’ve watched Sword Art online, I’ve heard of Accel World, and I’ve heard this game is really good.... although I have heard that the game tends to chug a lot on the Vita, so if you’ve hacked your Vita, just overclock it. That being said, the people saying you should overclock the Vita seem to be using the older model, so once I hit combat, I’ll find out if what minor improvements they made to the GPU when they switched from OLED to LCD screens makes the difference.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines : I originally downloaded this from the PSN store, but there was something wonky about it. But I liked the concept behind the game(a family bloodline is framed and cursed, and you have to selectively breed their descendants through their shortened lives to try to clear the family name), and I like physical copies, so I figured “Why not?”

And luckily, both of these games are in English. As much fun as stumbling through Omega Labyrinth Z is, I have no clue what I’m doing.