[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Seasons of Infamy - The Arkham Knight new DLC stuff comes to an end with a bang with 4 more story missions. That being said, they aren't that long. Part of that could be that I'm playing them after finishing the main game, so breaking it up with the game's other missions isn't happening.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark - Not nearly the best Transformers game but it was cheap so why not.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Hardened Edition - Finally got around to picking this up after putting on Lay-By for two months.

Finished Aliens: Colonial Marines for good after finally downloading the DLC for it, still not a very good game and I don't recommend it.
Also, finished The Last Of Us by also downloading the the Left Behind story DLC for that.
Now I'm starting on Fallout 3 (all DLC) and slowly getting the hang of it but I am concerned with the various karma-based level trophies and the multitude of known bugs and glitches I've heard of.
Destruction is my specialty
Hound

Post by Hound »

I am playing the Legend of Zelda for the first time and it is enormously fun.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I just got the Limited edition version of Life is Strange: Season One. Why buy it again for the same system you ask?
I like having physical copies of my media. It's also a back up in case my Xbox One dies.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Hound wrote:I am playing the Legend of Zelda for the first time and it is enormously fun.
You know, as big of a Zelda fan as I am now, when I had my NES in the late 80's early 90's, I didn't really care for the game that much. In the mid-90's, I got hooked with A Link to the Past on an SNES over at my sister's apartment. I never finished the original Zelda until I had it on GBA back around 2007-2008. It's really a masterpiece that I didn't appreciate until later, but I'm thoroughly glad I took the time. :)
Hound

Post by Hound »

ganon578 wrote:You know, as big of a Zelda fan as I am now, when I had my NES in the late 80's early 90's, I didn't really care for the game that much. In the mid-90's, I got hooked with A Link to the Past on an SNES over at my sister's apartment. I never finished the original Zelda until I had it on GBA back around 2007-2008. It's really a masterpiece that I didn't appreciate until later, but I'm thoroughly glad I took the time. :)
I had a friend who had it back when it first came out and i tried it but I was like 9 or 10 and I had nowhere near the attention span needed to actually play the game. I would just wander around fighting things til I got bored and played something interesting like Metroid or Mega Man. Now that I'm older and understand the nature of the game better it's been a lot of fun.

I "played" Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior back then too but it was pretty much the same thing. Just wandering around talking to villagers and fighting random encounters but not actually accomplishing anything. I didn't have the patience for RPGs and the like at that age, too used to platformers.

I barely have the patience for them now...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I'm a bit in to Fallout 3, about level 11 or 12 I think, and it looks like it's going to take me weeks upon weeks to finish the game to my satisfaction (all trophies).

I do however have the karma thing worked out, but not necessarily the bugs/glitches or the mild to full-on freezing.

But I am enjoying it at least and that's all that matters.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Went to Best Buy with a $5 Reward Certificate and a plan in place to buy something inexpensive yesterday. "If X is on sale, I'll get that. If not, but Y is on sale, I will get that. If all else fails, I'll get an amiibo." Came out with Z, which was on sale, but still spent $70. Z turned out to be the Disney Infinity 3.0 Saga Bundle that came with Anakin, Ahsoka, Luke, Leia, and Boba Fett. It also came with the Twilight of the Republic and Rise Against the Empire game sets. I only played it for a little bit yesterday, but it was pretty good fun. Definitely aimed at a younger audience, but this one should be enjoyable. I can't wait to have my kids join in with me later. :)
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So after discovering the hard way that you need a PS Plus membership to play GTA Online on the PS4(unless you only want to play on weekends), I discovered a game I wanted to play from LucasArts way back in the old days that I can now play for free.... as long as my membership is active.

Grim Fandango- If you like film noir and the Land of the Dead, this game is for you. Although I am discovering that they do just throw you into the deep end.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Still on Fallout 3, currently level 14 and pretty much just exploring the map collecting bobble-heads and stuff.

Also bought Lego Marvel's Avengers on X360, which came with an Iron Man poly bag and some DLC for additional characters.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Heinrad wrote: Grim Fandango- If you like film noir and the Land of the Dead, this game is for you. Although I am discovering that they do just throw you into the deep end.
:) I was just going to say almost the exact same thing because I started Grim Fandango last night. A little bit annoying at times that you almost have to use a walkthrough, and I hate the shifting camera angle that has your character running the opposite direction when you enter a new screen, thereby running directly back to where you were. But it's cute, funny at times, and kind of fun so far. Not bad for free.
Sades

Post by Sades »

you know what's really annoying? Having a Steam card given to you, but then being unable to use said Steam card because your computer is a piece of shit.

The part of me that just wants to get lost for awhile in some brand new video games is SO SAD right now. All this money for one thing, not able to use it.

And I of course just have to make it worse by browsing whatever Steam has on sale. Seriously, I feel guilty spending real money on myself, money gets handed to me for one specific thing that I enjoy and I can't even use it. :p Uncool, life! Uncool.

OH, but on the plus side Hound downloaded an NES emulator and we started playing Rampage. It is just as much fun as I remember it being. I only wish we had gotten to play it a bit longer before his controller crapped out.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I finished Zelda and moved on to Zelda II. It's pretty much an RPG. It's not as good as the first one just like everyone says but it is fun. I like the bigger overworld map, it's much more fun to explore.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Over the weekend the fam and I downloaded Duck Hunt on the Wii U. Nothing new or special, just Duck Hunt. It's been modified for use with a Wii Remote, so now there's a little target cursor where you are pointing. Seems like that takes away some of the challenge. Otherwise, the Wii Remote speaker pumps out a little clicking sound, nearly identical to how the old Zappers used to be. It's a very cool little addition.

My daughter is seemingly going to be a crack shot. After a couple tries she was already working her way to Round 4.
Hound

Post by Hound »

A long while back I had been playing Final Fantasy III on the DS and there is a bunch of optional sidequest things to do but in order to unlock all of that you have to send messages within the game to someone else who has the game. Does anyone here have FF3 for the DS and is willing to send a few messages back and forth with me so that I can unlock all of that junk?
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Just pre-purchased XCOM 2. I spent so much time on the 2012 version that I think it's tied with Empire: Total War for "most hours spent" on my Steam profile. I think this has something to do with the four floppy disk version I got for my Amiga a month before that packed in forever
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

So Grim Fandango has turned into one of those games that I just want to be done with, unfortunately. You can either spend frustrating hours randomly trying to find the proper order to do things in, or you can use a walkthrough. There is very little in-between. Few in-game clues or hints, and most of the things you have to do make no sense whatsoever. Add to that lots of screens that you do nothing but run through over and over and over again, animations where they take great pains to make it long and detailed, yet have the character randomly teleporting from one spot to another, and characters that they pretend you are supposed to know before you've ever met them. I'll finish it up, but I'm glad it was a free one.

Video games have come a long way, haven't they?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:So Grim Fandango has turned into one of those games that I just want to be done with, unfortunately. You can either spend frustrating hours randomly trying to find the proper order to do things in, or you can use a walkthrough. There is very little in-between. Few in-game clues or hints, and most of the things you have to do make no sense whatsoever. Add to that lots of screens that you do nothing but run through over and over and over again, animations where they take great pains to make it long and detailed, yet have the character randomly teleporting from one spot to another, and characters that they pretend you are supposed to know before you've ever met them. I'll finish it up, but I'm glad it was a free one.

Video games have come a long way, haven't they?
Hmmm. Good to hear a perspective on this. I understand it's quite a fan favorite, but it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. With limited gaming time, I can't usually doddle around for hours trying to solve and obtuse puzzle.

On the other hand, I finished up Twilight of the Republic in Disney Infinity 3.0. It was a bit shorter than I anticipated, but I suppose there's all of the tasks around that don't directly involve the main story, and all the Toy Box features. Luckily, I still have Rise Against the Empire to complete, and yesterday I picked up The Force Awakens playset on sale ($10 off). :up:
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I just got the Toybox Takeover and Speedway expansions for $10 each at Best Buy. Haven't had a chance to try them out, but I really enjoyed Rise Against the Empire. (Except that Lando sounds like some dockworker from New Jersey for some reason.) I know that the individual characters don't do all that much to change the game, but I find myself frantically searching for Infinity toys on clearance now. Stupid excellent marketing ploy...
Hound

Post by Hound »

I took a day and played the first 3 Super Mario Bros. Good platforming fun.

I started playing A Link to the Past. It's so beautiful. How is it so many Super Nintendo games are the some of the best looking games ever?