[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by Tantrum »

A few years ago, I took a crate, small TV, and Atari 2600 and made one of those tables with a video game built in, like you'd see at pizza parlors in the '80s. Unfortunately, I didn't secure the joystick well, and it fell off when I moved the table to redo my floor. I could reattach it, but I doubt I'd play it much, and am using it as an actual table.

I took a picture, but can't figure out how to post attachments in the new forum setup. The buttons avove the typing window go from bold to youtube, with none of the buttons in between meaning attach. the image button asks for a url, not an attachment. The only thing that says attach is the "Attach a signature" option below the text entry window. Am I missing something?

I have another Atari 2600 hooked up to another TV. This was mainly so I could play paddle games, especially Warplock. When I was a kid, I'd just hold the fire button down for repeat fire, and move my ship back and forth, eventually hitting my target. Or getting hit by it. I think you could fire more shots per second if you mashed the button repeatedly, but that was way less relazing.

Unfortunately, the paddle controllers don't seem to hold up so well, and my ship jitters. I've tried other games, and had the same issue.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:22 am
That is hilarious. We should play Minecraft together...
No, Minecraft is bad enough with her trying to kill me. Remember Kirby's Dream Course? :p Let's stick to OW where we can play on the same team. :laugh:

@Ganon: TBH she plays in Creative so if she wants anything, she just needs to open up her menu and there it is. But yeah, she's building things that I've never even attempted to build, like freaking rollercoasters.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

In addition to picking up Tokyo Tattoo Girls, muramasa Rebirth, Muv Luv and Muv Luv Alternative for the Vita, I decided to experiment with my Switch a little and make a Japanese eShop account.

While I still prefer my Vita, it’s a lot easier to look at Japanese games on the Switch without having to flat deck the thing every time I want to look around.

Anyway, I got DOAX3: Scarlet for the Switch from the eShop. I’m now being told there’s an update, but every time I try to download it, it tries, but the download automatically pauses. Any ideas why it’s not downloading? I’ve tried looking around online, but I’m not finding anything.

EDIT: So after doing everything I could think of short of uninstalling and re-downloading, I finally said screw it and left it alone. And it downloaded. Not sure how. Are all the Switch games like that?
Last edited by Heinrad on Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A local game shop is phasing out their 'rewards points' program by the end of the month, and I didn't realize I had $20 in points built up. So I did some shopping. Grabbed Just Dance 4 on Wii U for my daughter & son, then grabbed Sonic Forces for myself on Switch.

I've played the first few levels of SF, and it's fairly standard 3D Sonic fare: not great, not terrible. I'm adjusting to the dynamic of playing as 3 separate characters - Sonic (current) who can do homing jumps and dashes, followed by your own create-a-character who can use a grapple gun thing to latch onto things and shoot enemies, and finally Sonic (classic) who can spin dash. It's somewhat jarring to transition between the three. Otherwise it's fairly fun, but it's got that same old Sonic deal where you're blasting at amazing speed only to be totally stopped by a random, hard to see enemy. Glad I got it for nothing. :D
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

WWE 2K19 (PS4) - Bought during an EB Games Manager's Special event.

Also, been making some slow progress on Dead Space 3, where I am on level 11 now.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Starlink: Battle for Atlas on Nintendo Switch because it has Fox McCloud and the Arwing.

Also bought the Pulse, Lance and Neptune ship packs for it as well.

Also, I'm nearing the end of the Dead Space 3, as I'm on level 18 now.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Finally finished Doom! I took my time and did some exploration, but there still were collectibles and secrets I didn't get, so I'll go back at some point and do those. Hidden in the levels are Classic Maps too, from old PC Doom games. I haven't found them nor played them all yet, so that will be a blast to do so. In order to finish, I ended up tuning back the difficulty level a notch, simply because I was impatient. It was still really fun though, and I don't feel like I have the time in life to heavily invest in sharpening my skills to that extent.

I'll take a break from it for a while, and maybe focus on NBA 2k19 while the season is still going.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Tantrum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:49 am A few years ago, I took a crate, small TV, and Atari 2600 and made one of those tables with a video game built in, like you'd see at pizza parlors in the '80s. Unfortunately, I didn't secure the joystick well, and it fell off when I moved the table to redo my floor. I could reattach it, but I doubt I'd play it much, and am using it as an actual table.

I took a picture, but can't figure out how to post attachments in the new forum setup. The buttons avove the typing window go from bold to youtube, with none of the buttons in between meaning attach. the image button asks for a url, not an attachment. The only thing that says attach is the "Attach a signature" option below the text entry window. Am I missing something?

I have another Atari 2600 hooked up to another TV. This was mainly so I could play paddle games, especially Warplock. When I was a kid, I'd just hold the fire button down for repeat fire, and move my ship back and forth, eventually hitting my target. Or getting hit by it. I think you could fire more shots per second if you mashed the button repeatedly, but that was way less relazing.

Unfortunately, the paddle controllers don't seem to hold up so well, and my ship jitters. I've tried other games, and had the same issue.
That's a cool thing to do that I wish I had the talent/drive to do so. I looked up Warplock too, that's another game I had in my youth that I totally forgot I owned. So now it's on my Flashback!

Additionally, I pre-ordered the new Sega Genesis Mini coming in September. It'll include 40 games, two 3-button USB controllers, and it's being done by Sega & M2 instead of AtGames. No knock on AG for their Atari Flashback systems, but I understand their Genesis systems are trash. Luckily, M2 is the company that brought some (all?) of the 3D Genesis games to the 3DS, which were really good ports. I have faith it'll be a good system!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I have finally finished Dead Space 3, don't mind it actually.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Lego Movie 2 Video Game - Bought it while $10 off.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Despite the whole world jumping onto the Switch(Yes, even me. I like it, but I look at a portable system as something you can take with you when you get dragged into the hospital unexpectedly), I still favor my Vita. It’s a wonderful system.

Lucky for me, PlayAsia still has plenty of physical copies of games, and some Vita games are still kind of cheap.

Bullet Girls Phantasia PS Vita the BEST version, which seems to be the Greatest Hits line. Even better, it’s the Asian English version, so unlike Bullet Girls, I know what’s going on. The graphics are pretty good, it’s a lot of fun. It even comes with a instruction.... well, card.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Didn't take long, but I finished the main story line in Sonic Forces. Pretty fun overall, but a mostly forgettable experience (especially when compared to the retro-tastic Sonic Mania). I liked how they mixed in elements from the Sonic Dash mobile series, like the rail grinding switching mechanism. Just about the time you get the hang of everything is when the game comes to a close. In the end, this makes me want a newer version of (or rather a sequel to) Sonic Adventure 2, with playable levels of Sonic & Shadow, minus the Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/Rogue levels. Not sure why Sega always seems to come close and fall flat at the finish line. Every new game has too many throw-away elements instead of just building a solid 3D Sonic game and honing the gameplay. The Mario series always does this really well, without too much 'extra fat'. Why can't the developers at Sega do the same?

Grabbed some new Switch games on sale to boost my 'sports' selection on the system. First up is Football Heroes Turbo, which you can tell is a Steam/Mobile type game right off the bat. It's quite like Tecmo Bowl with pre-rendered graphics, but with more arcade elements. Punching off would-be tacklers and power-ups are the name of the game. You can play short 'seasons' with playoffs, and upgrade your players with XP or hit the free agency market after earning some cash. Your team is customizable too. I really debated between this and Mutant League Football, but decided to try this first. It's fun and the games/seasons are really fast.

Second is Super Blood Hockey. Holy crap is this game fun! If you ever enjoyed Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel on the NES, this game will hit you right in the feels. 8/16-bit style graphics with chip tunes, gratuitous blocky blood, and fantastic gameplay. It plays like those good old school hockey games, and even has a franchise mode that I haven't gotten into yet. Apparently you can sign free agents, work an entire team, etc. For ~$10, I don't think you can go wrong if you're into hockey games.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A few things for Switch, one mobile-ish and the rest is all retro...

Timberman VS a few weeks ago. It was super cheap ($0.20) and only takes the R & L triggers to play. Chop down the tree, dodge the branches as they come down. It's got 8/16 bit graphics & music with a load of characters to unlock; quite a few from pop culture like Hulk, Edward Scissorhands, Darth Vader, etc. Considering it cost so little, it's a fun little time sink.

HORI D-pad Left JoyCon, Zelda style: I enjoy my retro titles on the Switch, in addition to the NES library that comes with Nintendo Online. However, playing these with a stick or the 'directional' buttons sucks. So I bought this add-on. Sadly, it only works in portable mode (no internal battery), but that's OK because I play in portable mode a lot. The D-pad is awesome! all 2D retro styled games feel so much better with this than the traditional Joy Con. Super glad I have this!

That said, an eShop sale or two later and I have Mega Man Legacy Collection and Shovel Knight Treasure Trove. Both are stellar. MMLC (@ 34% off) contains Mega Man 1-6 from the NES. It's a good trip down nostalgia lane and the rewind feature (though possibly cheating) is great. Takes out some difficulty, which is good for my health (literally). Shovel Knight is a fantastic game that I had on the Wii U, and I'm glad I have it on the go with Switch now. For 1/2 off, this is a steal.

Tons of retro, tons of fun. :)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Been on a game craze lately, preparing for the summer and travel. After grabbing that Hori D-Pad Joy Con, I noticed hand cramps while playing these intense retro games. So I did some research and bought a Satisfye Grip. Basically a cradle for a whole Switch with asymmetric ergonomic hand grips that can also stand the unit on a table much better than the kickstand. It also accommodates the Hori JC better than others by sliding the unit up a touch on the left side (the button to release the Joy Con has a funny pyramid shape on the Hori version). It was a touch more pricey than other options, but considering that I wanted it to fit my new Joy Con, it was worth it.

Additionally, I traded in a couple things I no longer use and grabbed a couple eShop cards that turned into Cabela's The Hunt and Bass Pro Shops The Strike while on sale. Both look like Xbox 360 ports, but actually look quite nice on the Switch. They run smooth as well, and it'll be good to 'hunt' or 'fish' at my leisure on occasion. While not pinnacles of gaming, they create a good atmosphere for when I can't actually be in the great outdoors.
SneakyOL
Protoform

Post by SneakyOL »

I'm very addictive to the Clash Royale now. Very awesome multiplayer stuff, strongly recommend to everyone. here is a clash royale gems app for those who wanna give it a try.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Mortal Kombat 1, 2, 3 - Bought some old rentals that had sticky tape covering the cartridge screws and the manuals had sticky tape trying to fix various issues there as well.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Mortal Kombat 4 - Continuing on from last week with MK4, which looks to be in good condition overall.

Mortal Kombat 11 Steelbook Edition.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Mortal Kombay: Deadly Alliance - As Above.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

There have been a load of digital sales taking place since E3 just happened. I decided to take advantage and picked up:

Madden 19, NHL 19, NBA Live 19, FIFA 19, NBA 2K19, and Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition. All told, the sale prices were ridiculously low, so I basically got all 6 games for just over $40. Unfortunately it also ate up all my hard drive space on my PS4. :( The four EA games came as a pack - I wanted the first 3, so FIFA was basically a freebie to me. I've played all but FIFA, and they're all pretty solid. I already own NBA 2K19 on the Switch, but I like the PS4's frame rate when couch co-oping, and the All-Time Teams make it worth it. Now I can play on the go as well as in crisp HD with faster frame rates at home. It was also $3. Horizon is a game I've wanted to play for a long time, and it came with all the DLC for $10. I've played just past the 'tutorial', and it's really good and beautiful. And a major bonus for having an awesome female lead character!

Also pre-ordered Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Dreamer Edition on the Switch, plus the super adorable Link Amiibo. It'll come with the physical game and a nice artwork book from the game. That comes in September, and I couldn't be happier. Link's Awakening was one of my fave GameBoy games in my youth, and one of the few I owned back then. :D
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Helldivers: Super-Earth Edition.

Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe - Continuing my run of buying Mortal Kombat games.