Michael Owen signs for Manchester United...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Michael Owen signs for Manchester United...

Post by Cliffjumper » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:14 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 131801.stm

Fair play. Wonder if all the journalist ****s sneering about that brochure and how no decent club was going to touch him are going to say they were wrong. Nah, they'll just lay in wait with sharp knives for when he misses a couple of games, or fails to score 40 goals a season, won't they?

CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Came on here to make a thread to find you had beaten me to it, should have known!

Ermm, as a Manchester Utd fan I'm not sure what to make of this, Owen has had a turbulant few years of injury and a lack of form and goal scoring, but how much of that lack of form and such was down to being part of a pretty dire team??

I certainly dont think Man U are wrong to do it, he'll get them at least a few goals a season, and was a free transfer, but they definitely need to get a definite proven goalscorer, just a shame Real Madrid seem intent on snapping up most of the people we're interested in... The question then is, you cant play Rooney, Berbatov, Owen and 4th striker all at the same time, so who is going to take the role of "replacement"

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:47 pm

I dunno, I think it's a smart move, in the mould of the Henrik Larsson loan. Cheap experience as an option for a long season. Plus also the media attention on Owen will move the immediate pressure away from Valencia and any other 'Ronaldo replacement' signing.

AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:30 am

Owen to Man U is a good idea. He couldn't have went to a smaller Premier League side as they would need him to play thirty plus games, which given his recent fitness/injury woes would be difficult. At Man U he'll get a good run of games and be rested when needed and probably bang in twenty goals in a season.

Andy

Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:26 pm

That's the last straw...my beloved Newcastle is finished.

Grimlock

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Ok, it's 2 pre-season games against an all star Malaysian team in, but at least he's scoring.
"Among those fans there's at least one guy for whom you're a hero. He saved money to see you! That's what I did. I played for that guy." - Bruce Springsteen (1987)