Complete Galactica to be reissued including The Plan

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Complete Galactica to be reissued including The Plan

Post by Halfshell »

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Battle ... ries/13278

The day. The very day I take delivery of my complete series Blu Ray boxset, they post that story.

THE EXACT SAME ****ING DAY.

I prefer my packaging anyway.

I bet the ****s change the masters so it's got the proper music on the season 1 credits, too.

BASTARDS.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

j00 got Cylowned, biatch!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Be nice or I'll send you my DVDs so you feel obliged to watch it. HA.

To be fair, it's only a US release announced so far and The Plan was largely mediocre and I like the idea of being able to pick it up separately and keep it somewhere different (creating the illusion it doesn't exist, if I so desire), but still... the exact ****ing day.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Then I was wise to hold out....well I say that, I just don't have any money. but now i feel better about not having any money!

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Rewatching Lost has soured me on buying television shows on Bluray. We have seasons 4 and 5 on the format, and it could not be more annoying with their damn Season Play gimmick and inability to start the disc up and have it pick up where you left off. That's not even getting into the bullshit that is the load times. Works ok for a movie, but I'll continue buying TV on DVD.

Also, I forgot all about The Plan. I was going to watch it, but then I think we went to dinner the night it was coming on, and then never thought of it again.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I wonder if owning about half of it means we should just pick up the rest of what's out...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I'd imagine there might be some cheaper DVD sets coming out on ebay as fans buy up the new one. We've managed to get every season for under $70 with some patience and luck.

On a related note, we just watched the first disappointing episode of BSG. Season 2.5, episode "Scar" was not good. It seemed kind of silly, lots of people were acting slightly out of character, and it made me dislike everyone. Thankfully the following episode was very good, so everything's still ok.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Sir Auros wrote:Rewatching Lost has soured me on buying television shows on Bluray. We have seasons 4 and 5 on the format, and it could not be more annoying with their damn Season Play gimmick and inability to start the disc up and have it pick up where you left off.
What's Season Play? I was planning on ditching the DVDs I've got and just picking up the complete Lost on BD when it's available.

The lack of a resume feature is there on Galactica, too. It's annoying as hell. I want to be able to hit "play all", turn it off during the end credits and then just hit the power button again later and carry on from where I left off. Apparently that's too much to ask for these days.
Also, I forgot all about The Plan. I was going to watch it, but then I think we went to dinner the night it was coming on, and then never thought of it again.
It's meh. There's some nice little touches in there... but most of the loose ends they opted to address didn't really need going near, whilst the ones that could have done with further expansion were completely ignored. The narrative structure doesn't really work either. It's a decent flashback episode, but as a coda coming off the back of Daybreak, it just falls completely flat.
Notabot wrote:On a related note, we just watched the first disappointing episode of BSG. Season 2.5, episode "Scar" was not good. It seemed kind of silly, lots of people were acting slightly out of character, and it made me dislike everyone. Thankfully the following episode was very good, so everything's still ok.
You're insane. The two episodes either side of Scar are the rubbish ones.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Season Play is this shit where you have to create an account to have it work. Then, you still have to wait several hours for the disc to load before you can go to the Season Play episode to have it resume where you left off. It's insane that you can't just autoresume, and it doesn't make sense that you can't. A bluray movie will let you autoresume, so why can't these shows?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

So... what? It saves all the episode info onto the HD and lets you play it all in one go? That sounds insanely stupid.

UPDATEAGE:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Battle ... ries/13300

1) If you bought the original "Limited Edition" set, Universal will let you send off for the new packaging. Which could be useful if it's any cop, considering the original US BD release packaging looks godawful. US customers only, though.

2) The Face of the Enemy will still not be included. Supposedly because it's available online. I suspect contractual reasons.

The BD release of Galactica I'm watching is quite bonkers, really. The "deliberately added grain" would be fine if it were constant... instead it's only on certain scenes. I never noticed it before on DVD, now I can't help but. The sheer depth of the picture and detail means' it's still blatantly a Hi Def image, but it's just quite frustrating how the filter comes and goes.

I don't think the mini was shot in HD, so it's really just the VFX shots that stand out there. Season 1 is a lot crisper than I remember, though having the wrong credits for 12 of the 13 episodes did undermine the experience quite a bit. Season 2 started out gorgeously, but by the end I couldn't even spot the difference in quality. Season 3's print is just superb... crisp, rich, vibrant, insanely detailed... if not for the randomly appearing grain effect, I'd be elated. Interested to see how good the HD picture on season 4 is, considering that pretty much every tv show was being shot in HD by then.

Bonkers madness. Can anybody with the US DVD release of Season 1 tell me if Kobol's Last Gleaming Pt II had the same credits theme as the rest of the season? And if any of the episodes have a survivor count on them?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, my attempts to share this information has caused my computer to crash three times. I suspect it's a Cylon. Though sadly the none sexy kind.

The original R1 release has the original theme music on the last episode, and neither it nor Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down (the other episode I checked) had the survivor count, nor any of the onscreen text during the credits. The super-duper-everythingbuttheplanandfaceoftheenemy set may be different though.

Give it, say, six months before they do a version with Face of the Enemy on it? Less if you buy it before then.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:The original R1 release has the original theme music on the last episode
The version used in season 2? So, different to the other episodes in the set?
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:The version used in season 2? So, different to the other episodes in the set?

Original as in what was originally used on the American broadcast, and thus the same as the other R1 S1 shows. The version on the other seasons doesn't pre-date that in some kooky way does it (the British broadcast with the other theme being before the American one or something like that)?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Exactly like that, actually.

Season 1 was co-funded by Sky, with it airing in the UK about two months ahead of it cropping up in the States.

Quite why NBC/Universal/SciFi decided to change the theme music is something I've never really been able to get the bottom of. Especially as they reverted to what the Rest of the World was doing for Season 2.

Hence why I always refer to the R1 theme music as being wrong.
inflatable dalek

Jay Leno composed the American theme so NBC had to go with it.

Orrrr.... Sci-Fi was presented with the episodes first even though they didn't air them till after and someone changed their mind before giving them into Sky?

Or American TV is run by loons. Take your pick.