What do Wii need?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
martyboy70

What do Wii need?

Post by martyboy70 »

Ok I know this is a few years late but after some Mario Kart sessions at her friends house my GF got a really good deal on a Wii.
She got Sports and Sports Resort with the console so what games are essential and which hardware should I be looking to get.
Im a bit disappointed that its only capable of 480p(and even then with a seperate cable) as I bought a 46" TV recently-does the component cable make a big difference?
All and any help and tips appreciated.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

I got a tip for you: Buy a Xbox360 and forget 'bout the Wii. It's only suitable for ten-year olds and your gradma.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Thanks for that.:down:
Does anyone have any sensible suggestions.
Oh and how do you put someone on ignore?
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

You're best off going to a second-hand game shop in the real world, as most of the internet will try and charge you extortionate prices.
The Black Wii is a bargain even at full price, as for the price of a Wii and Wii sports a couple years ago, you now get Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and motion plus.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Yep thats the one we got.
All games will probably be second user from Ebay as thats what I do for the PC and have got some corkers for pennies.
Just need to know what to start watching out for and want to know how worthwhile this other cable will be.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Its okay without the cable, but if your TVs big enough, the upgrade is noticeable
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

The new Super Mario Brothers is great fun. Highly recommend that.

Also I really enjoyed the Mario Party games on the Game Cube. If there's anything similar out for the Wii, I'd look into that.

I'm not a fan of the Wii as a serious games system, but it's the best of the bunch if you just want a laugh with mates.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Terome

Post by Terome »

No More Heroes and Lego Star Wars have served me with many a fun evening in.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Sixswitch mentioned GameCube stuff am I right in thinking you can play GC games on it?
If so Ill be able to replay Rogue Leader-one of my favourite games ever.
As mentioned my GF bought it and it is just for a bit of fun.
I dont need a 360 or PS3 as I tend to buy games a few months to a year after they come out second hand on Ebay for as cheap as poss so Im not exactly bleeding edge.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers Charged, PGA Tiger Woods 10, and Mario Party 8 are all top-notch.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Rattrap's tail wrote:I got a tip for you: Buy a Xbox360 and forget 'bout the Wii. It's only suitable for ten-year olds and your gradma.
You're a goddamn idiot.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Rattrap's tail wrote:I got a tip for you: Buy a Xbox360 and forget 'bout the Wii. It's only suitable for ten-year olds and your gradma.
You are seriously the most ignorant, annoying little twat I've run across on here. The Wii has plenty of "adult" style games. Just google "Madworld Wii", if you can sort out how to use the internet.

Anyway, to answer the questions put forth by Marty....

Yes the component cable makes a difference on an HDTV, you should get one, they aren't pricey now days. As for games, it really depends on the genre you like, and I can suggest quite a few for you...

For classic gaming the Wii excels above all other current consoles, not only because of the ability to play NES/SNES/Genesis/TG16/Neo-Geo/SMS and others, but also because of the awesome 2D fighting games and SNK collections offered.

For fighters I recommend King of Fighters Collection: Orochi Saga, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl (although I don't consider it a real fighting game, most do).

For action/adventure games I'd suggest the Metal Slug Anthology, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Wii, Murasawa: Demon Blade, Madworld, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Ghostbusters, and the Lego games (Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones).

As far as other genres go I can only recommend a few from experience. Mario Kart Wii is a ton of fun as well, and so is Donkey Kong's Barrel Blast, and for sheer party fun Wario Ware cannot be beaten. Bloom Blox is a fun puzzle style game, and Punch Out is a blast as well. The pack in Wii Sports game is pretty fun for a few weeks as well, and usually find myself going back to it for the Bowling alone.

And yes you can also play Gamecube games on it as well. I'd suggest Ikaruga, Luigi's Haunted Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, and Galaxy Wrestling, just off the top of my head.

Its also worth mentioning that if you are a brave little soul you can perform a safe hack* to your Wii these days, that not only allows emulation of many classic systems and arcade games, but also allows you to play your games from an external USB hard drive, thus eliminating load times and the hassle of grabbing discs. It also allows the Wii to play DVDs and a whole host of other useful functions that are otherwise locked, but that is just fluff as far as I'm concerned.

*In no way am I endorsing piracy, which is illegal and stuff. But endorsing a system hack for the purposes of running homebrew applications, which are legal. And playing your own games from an external USB hard drive, not back-ups. This message not endorsed by Nintendo of America.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Super Smash Bros Brawl is very good and I highly recommend investing in a library of Gamecube titles, since owning my Wii I have bought more GC titles of late than Wii titles as thery're only a few quid second hand. I've recently bought F-Zero GX, Rogue Squadron II and Simpsons Road Rage and have enjoyed them very mutch (RSII and F0 have aged very well).

Regretebly financial circumstances have incumbered the growth of my Wii collection (turning my buying habbits toward my GC, PS1 and Gameboy) otherwise I would have more than my small but perfectly formed collection of only six games.

I'll also second Ackulas point on the range of games availablr to the adult gamer and add the likes of Bully and Resident Evil 4. There are also titles such as Monster Hunter Tri and Red Steel 2 still to be released.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Ackula wrote: The Wii has plenty of "adult" style games. Just google "Madworld Wii", if you can sort out how to use the internet.
I thought madworld was just an "ooo look how adult our console can be" kinda title. As a games console i don't think it really measures up buuuuuut it is a good console for most non gamers to hop onto. excellent for multi-player fun, mario party being a prime example, and wii sports is always good if a little samey. I can't really hack single player, there's something about sitting at home flailing your arms about like a nut that bothers me....

i'd recommend "Link's crossbow training" , it's pretty much the only game on the wii that i've actually sat and played for hours, mainly because me and my mate were constantly trying to top each others scores and it comes with a cool gun attachment.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Prowl1984 wrote:it is a good console for most non gamers to hop onto.
Replace "non gamers" with "old school gamers" or perhaps "hardcore retro gamers" and you have a winner. I find it hard to call it a machine for non-gamers, when it caters to hardcore retro gamers such as myself. If you want a challenging game that requires a true gamer's skill, then try Magician Lord on the Virtual Console. Let me know when you can finally clear stage one..... ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Have you ever played a game with anybody other than yourself? Not counting online play. The Wii is fantastic for all ages. I can't see how anybody can dismiss it so condescendingly unless they're a snob who's more concerned about graphics than actual fun.

Or, of course, unless they're friendless and resent the fact that the Wii doubles up as a legitimate social activity.
martyboy70 wrote:Oh and how do you put someone on ignore?
Click on their name, then view public profile.

Under their avatar there's the options to add the user to your buddy list or to your ignore list. Click on the second of the options.

That'll bring up a list of all the people you've currently got on ignore, and ask for confirmation that you want to add a new user to it. Make sure the relevant people are checked, then click on the button marked "save list."
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Ackula wrote:Replace "non gamers" with "old school gamers" or perhaps "hardcore retro gamers" and you have a winner. I find it hard to call it a machine for non-gamers, when it caters to hardcore retro gamers such as myself. If you want a challenging game that requires a true gamer's skill, then try Magician Lord on the Virtual Console. Let me know when you can finally clear stage one..... ;)
yeah i guess but what's retro about flailing your arms around? don't get me wrong, it's good fun and all, i just don't think it measures up as a console in terms of single-player...erm...play?

all the big titles are getting released on the PS3 and 360 over the wii, but saying that i guess the wii does have more retro-type games to offer such as the umpteenth edition of Mario or Zelda. I only say non-gamers because members of my family who have never touched a console before are suddenly buying wii's and playing nothing but wii sports. oh and wii fit, can't help but think that's a total waste of cash though when the gym is far better...

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Halfshell wrote:Have you ever played a game with anybody other than yourself? Not counting online play. The Wii is fantastic for all ages. I can't see how anybody can dismiss it so condescendingly unless they're a snob who's more concerned about graphics than actual fun.

Or, of course, unless they're friendless and resent the fact that the Wii doubles up as a legitimate social activity.

Click on their name, then view public profile.

Under their avatar there's the options to add the user to your buddy list or to your ignore list. Click on the second of the options.

That'll bring up a list of all the people you've currently got on ignore, and ask for confirmation that you want to add a new user to it. Make sure the relevant people are checked, then click on the button marked "save list."
Yes I have. I've even played with the Wii and I had to do the craziest movements to even get to the game from the starting menu. Why can't that thing do what my DS can? Starting a game within 15 minutes?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Rattrap's tail wrote:Yes I have. I've even played with the Wii and I had to do the craziest movements to even get to the game from the starting menu. Why can't that thing do what my DS can? Starting a game within 15 minutes?
"It's the Wii's fault I'm a tard!!!!!!"
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Cliffjumper wrote:"It's the Wii's fault I'm a tard!!!!!!"
So, what do I care for a three year old who's mastered handling te Wii???