Serious question about depression.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
nmathew
Protoform

Serious question about depression.

Post by nmathew »

Well, to be blunt, I've ben dealing with on and off depression for about 2 years now. I feel I can post on this board, because, well, none of you could pick me out on the street I guess. Basically, things I've tried to help haven't (counselor, diet change, sleep, exercise), and today I went to see a doctor. I now have a bunch of white and green pills with Prozac in them. I was just kind of wondering if anyone here's taken it, their experiences on the drug, side effects, and what not. Suggestions are most welcome, because frankly I'm sick of feeling like crap most of the time. A lot of the time, I'm not motivated to do anything, and that makes it hard to keep up with soomething that's supposed to improve my disposition (exercise program of instance)

It's kind of funny, because this depression is what pushed me back into being a Transformers fan. I was feeling down, looking around for some kind of help/hope, and for some reason I remembered the valiant Optimus Prime. Searching on the web for episodes brought me here. Watching cartoons provides a means of escape, and they gave me freedom from worrying my life 22 minutes at a time.

Well, people please feel free to PM me, or E-mail me at nmathew01@hotmail.com if you don't want to post here. I certainly will understand.

Well, at least my 100th post is something important. ;-)

------------------
This space for rent until I get a real sig.

Thanks to Brendocon, I now occupy Wildfur's old dumpster.

--nmathew
________
Effects Of Nexium
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

hey man,
good luck with your new problem, which kind of depression have you been diagnosed with?

my father is currently taking anti-depression pills, and when he is on them, he is really great to get along with, but when he hasn't taken them for a day or two, he gets really nasty, and miserable.

I say get the help, and use it, and don't think that you feel better and don't need the drugs, because you do, and for good reason.

------------------
Seeing Jazz in a whole new light.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I do know people who take beta-blocking medication for depression, and it does seem to help them... personally, I'm not a massive fan of medication, but if you've exhausted other avenues, it may be worth a try. I might suggest trialling a small dosage first... but I ain't a medical authority.

There seems to be a decent number of sites out there with personal testimonies... try something like "prozac side-effects" at www.google.com ...remembering that the net attracts all sorts of people, and can be an easy way for scare-mongering voices to be heard as much as a liberating environment.

I know what you mean about Transformers... Prime's "NEVER!!!" in the Movie is one of the most defining moments for me personally, as is Bush's "Dare", Grimmy's speech in the G2 comics, etcetera.

All the best dude, and stick with the sleeping pattern and moderate exercise... it definitely affects my mood tremendously. Joining a gym can be remarkably effective... something I need to find time for again, really.

Take care! Image

------------------

Check out my collection & trade list and other TF stuff @ denyer.cjb.net!
Later, when I was hanging from the tree... — Bill Hicks
Brawn
Protoform

Post by Brawn »

Always know what you are taking..
If your taking Prozac in capsules they are the "Time Release" version of the drug that takes a a longer time to digest and take effect..Most likely you may be taking them before bedtime...

Here is a great link for info reguarding anything you need to know on psychotropic drugs...
http://www.healthsquare.com/rx/iindex.htm

Here is a direct link to your prozac inqury.. http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/PRO1362.HTM

Edit: The medication doesn't act like magic "BOOM" your better..
It takes months of therapy and taking your medication on a regular basis, and not skiping a doze or two. Your body need to have a certain level to do what it needs to do...And sometimes it takes months, maybe years depending if your not responsive to certain meds...

Good luck...
------------------
You can find me located in the TFArchive's Elevator Shaft
Coming to a nutward near you!

[This message has been edited by Brawn (edited 12-19-2001).]
Galvatron SUCKS

Post by Galvatron SUCKS »

I feel so sorry for you considering all the people out there that dont even have food.
I don't exactly have the best life but I thank God everyday that I have two legs to walk on and two eyes to see with.
drugs won't solve your problem.
don't bother rebuking me because this is the last time I look at this topic.

bye bye bye

------------------
yes thats right galvatron sucks!
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

Hmmm depression eh?

This is what I was taking (and the last time I had ANY of it was like 1995):

The doc started me off on Tofranil (Imipramine). That works real good. Side effects include DROWSYNESS and you cannot drink alcohol more than a couple sips. I was on Tofranil for another reason as well--I didn't have to take a pee so often when I was on it. I was started off at 25 mg and slowly slowly worked up to 75 mg to lessen the effects of the drowsiness. It interacts with things like the cleaners used in a restaurant like McDonalds if they get on your skin (I learned that by trial and error).

One doctor tried to give me Elavil. That stuff sent me right to sleep the first day I took it. That was the end of that I tell ya.

For awhile the doc stuck me on Zoloft cuz it didn't make me as drowsy. However I got a really dry mouth most of the time. Plus it didn't work as well as the Tofranil and I had to take a lot more of it. So I went back on Tofranil but still had some Zoloft left. That lead to a mixup one day that sent me to the emergency room with pupils the size of quarters. Image

The great thing about being on Tofranil is someone would insult me or try to and I'd just laugh it off. I never used to before. And this drove the arseholes NUTS. And that's a GOOOOOD thing; we LIKE that. Image

I went off antidepressants like 6 years ago cuz I didn't need them anymore.

But no matter which antidepressants you are taking BE CAREFUL WHAT ELSE YOU TAKE!! Some things that you'd NEVER SUSPECT can combine into a nasty reaction. Believe me, I know. I have lived it. If you're not sure, ask the doctor.

------------------
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

gee...Galvatron SUCKS seems oddly familiar to me...wonder why that could be?

prozac can really suck if they give you too high a dosage. it can also leave you feeling a bit zomby-like (and I'm not talking Rob Zombie here now) I was a bi-polar though and shouldn't have been on prozac except that the doctor's mis-diagnosed me.

here is what i will tell you man...sometimes, its just something you sort of grow out of...that's what happened to me. I was lucky enough to have the will power to fight it back...as i got older the brain eventually took care of itself.

no due to the nature of my concussion, the doctors are worried it may come back and want to put my on some garbage to prevent it...i don't want to, but i know that this may be out of my hands and i might just have to for now...

take heart in the fact that you aren't alone with these problems. Millions of people go through this everyday and it is a real problem...unlike what a certain buffoon (koff GS...chronic koff) seem to be suggesting. You can't help feeling this way and you just want it to go away. Listen to your doctors, but also just try to find things that make you feel better in your real life...things like hobbies and whatnot...

------------------
Galvaton91's Burned Couch Emporium: You buy it, I'll fry it, maybe do some marshmallows while I'm there too! Located on the Sixth Floor of the Archive. Also available get your official G91 "I am the GAME" T-Shirt! Only $20.99 or one slightly used couch made of highly combustible materials!
This sig has been brought to you today by Skywarp Proud Sponsor of the Emporium!

[This message has been edited by Galvatron91 (edited 12-21-2001).]
Grimlock

Post by Grimlock »

Medication is definatly not the answer, because excess chemicals from the outside of the body isn't a good thing.

I don't exactly have a good life either but I just deal with it as best I can, 2 years ago, a few of my closest friends decided to outcast me because I wasn't a drug loving alcoholic, and they had the power to influence more of my friends, so this left me with very little friends that I can see daily and keep me company, so this leaves me with my not so good friends, which are very socially unpopular, so that inturn made me look bad as well, not that hadn't already happen, but luckily for me the kids that did it were found with drug at school and they were expelled, allowing me to gain the respect of my former friends again, I'm gradually getting there, but I'm looking forward to the end of my high school years in 2 years time, to allow me to start fresh after being f**ked over royally.

Home life isn't that good either, my mums always stressed and running around which makes me just want to stay in my room, even though I should be having healy social interaction with everyone. Plus I have Chrones disease, which means I have frequent hospital appointmets and what not.

I have an adult friend though, who works for a crisis line, not that he constantly counsils me, but he often helps me out on how I could handle things and stuff.

My adivice is to just do what you enjoy and try not to let things get to you, it's what I do and it does help.

Sorry if I have repeated myself or not made sense, it's late here.

------------------

'Cause Sucka's Gotsta Know!>>>Grimlock's Trading Page<<<Oh You Better Recognise!

[This message has been edited by grimlock (edited 12-21-2001).]
sprites touch
Protoform

Post by sprites touch »

I don't have personal experiance, and I can't give you a solid advice like few of the others did, but from their stories, it seems that what realy helps is strong will and I think you have that.
You do want to get well, and feel better, so I truely hope you will, it might not happen tommorow, and maybe not next week, but aventually it will, and untill then, get all the support of friends and family that you can get.

------------------

Maybe it's 'cause of all those punchs to my head, but I'm starting to see yer point.
ThePeacemkr2
Protoform

Post by ThePeacemkr2 »

Well, my best advice is, whether you are or arent on drugs, always consider the good things that you have, dont look at the bad. Try to train your mind NOT to think about what your depressed about, and eventually you will stop being depressed about it, hopefully.

------------------
Fighting for Justice. Fighting for Honor.
Fighting for Peace.

-ThePeacemkr2

"I wasnt killing off 99% of the population of Earth, I was merely helping a friend do his report on peace, and in order for him to write a good report, there needed to BE peace.

"Fred was in his BED, on his HEAD, soon to be DEAD, because he ate LEAD"

Why does no one notice that when they say they want a "Pb+J" sandwitch, that "Pb" stands for LEAD in the periodic table. Think about it, this must mean about a 25% of earths population has a death wish!
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

I wanted to thank the people who posted (well, maybe not Galvatron SUCKS). I have been reading the posts over last week. Being on break from school, I always feel better. I did last year too, but things quickly took a nose dive again. Hopefully, this year things will stay good.

I'm going to try exercising, and changing a few other things. Hopefully, things will turn around. Once again, thanks to those who posted.

------------------
This space for rent until I get a real sig.

Thanks to Brendocon, I now occupy Wildfur's old dumpster.

--nmathew
Yes, 1 T. I know it's wrong, but that's just how my drunken ancestors did it, alright?
________
Body science