Why is there a fat piece of shit being interviewed about the football?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Why is there a fat piece of shit being interviewed about the football?

Post by Cliffjumper »

Seriously, why the **** is Ray Winstone on the football build-up getting interviewed like he's Geoff Hurst, instead of a fat, stupid, untalented sakc of crap worshipped by nuts readers and East End paedophiles? Okay, it's mildly amusing that he's getting a lot of it wrong, but has it come to this? What's next, Ian ****ing Wright doing his variety show shite?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It's bad enough he's cropping up at halftime on the ITV matches.

I think the mute button on my tv is gonna get a hefty workout over the next few weeks. And it's nothing to do with the nowhere-near-as-bad-as-hyped vuvuzela noise, which just basically sounds like there's some bees floating about.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I'm actually quite fond of that. You half expect Swarm-style mass killer bee attacks at any point. Hopefully it'll drown out the Great Escape this evening too.

Who exactly decided this Grant Mitchell knock-off was a national treasure anyway? Could they not get anyone, anyone connected with football to appear on this sort of thing?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm impressed ITV managed to start their coverage a full hour before the match began.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
TMM

Post by TMM »

inflatable dalek wrote:I'm impressed ITV managed to start their coverage a full hour before the match began.
yet itv hd still managed to put the adverts on when there was a goal scored! :P
First we crack the shell... Then we crack the nuts inside!
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Eugh ITV failed so hard last night, Clive Tyldsley wa sit? The commentator with Andy 'I agree Clive' Townsend along side, I don't know what game they were watching, but it was seemingly in another reality to where I was.

Gems including

"Heskey hasn't started a game for club or country since March.."

Followed by,

"This is the best game Heskey has had for club or country for months"

All the way through there was this awful over optimism as to how England performing, saying the team were 'Imposing their authority on the U.S.A' despite us fumbling about under a deluge of corners and set pieces, albeit ineffectual.

The scandalous defending of James Milner having had a virus, despite he was out of position, playing badly, hardly getting a touch, being murdered by the U.S.A.'s full back and generall looking a donkey. He was subbed as much for his poor performance as for his rubbbish tackling, in my opinion.

Rooney was AWOL, Heskey only encourages the long ball tactic, there seemed to be a big gap between the forwards and Lampard and Gerrard for the most part, no link up play of any real note.

Such a poor performance, Green was a howler, but using him as a scapegoat for a poor performance by a lot of players is inexcuseable. Fair play to the Americans, they dogged and they harried and were as guilty as England for their lack of imagination, but their wing play was marginally better than ours, their right back especially.

lennon and Wright Philips were both poor, lennon especially so, the one time in the whole match he got to the by line and ITV were hailing him as the reason Walcott was left behind, well great, because for the entire 90 minutes he did exactly what people criticised Walcott for doing.

What is the deal with the left hand side?! First they leave Downing out of the squad altogether, then they pick Johnson for a ten minute cameo and dump him off, Joe Cole is nowhere to be seen and ....

This is making me annoyed.

Stupid Clive Tyldsley,with your rose tinted glaucoma.;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yup, no way should Rob Green be made the scapegoat for the usual inept tournament England. The plan shouldn't have been to sit on a 1-0 lead for 86 minutes anyway. For about 10-15 minutes after Gerrard scored, the USA were there for the taking. Then they seemed to realise England weren't going to release a world of imperial pain and gradually got back into the game - if they had a better front man that Jozi Heskeydore they'd have won.

It felt like watching an Eriksson team again - the same quiet desperation and haplessness, the same feeling of the game just drifting away. Could anyone honestly see England scoring in the second half? Heskey did his job IMO, but having a (slightly more) fancy Kevin Davies up front is never going to be a good enough Plan A at this level. Lennon just doesn't work for England, not against an organised defence who hold the line in the box rather than scmapering out to the wings and getting sucked into his little runs, and not against a level head like Howard.

Capello's gambles with King and Milner didn't pay off, and we then looked even worse without them. If USA end up not winning the group, they'll be kicking themselves for not finishing England off after halftime.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Yup, no way should Rob Green be made the scapegoat for the usual inept tournament England.
Mmm. Say what you want about the latest in a long line of England goalkeepers having an otherwise solid string of performances overshadowed by one little slip (our number 1 is David James, for christ's sake), there's no way in hell Rob Green can be blamed for England failing to score more than once.

And the Algerian goalkeeper's just done his level best to prove that he can do just as well. Har.

In other FAR MORE EXCITING news: The BBC red button interactive thing lets me have the 5live commentary. I repeat - I can keep the BBC1 visuals but get some real commentary at the same time without the complicated procedure of muting it and turning on the radio.

EXCITING.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I think it'll take more than Rob Green to stop us from dusting these two, and the US'll have a field day against them too. Only Argentina and South Korea have been remotely impressive thus far, and both of them will have big problems against better teams (Argentina using the 0-5-5 Keegan's Newcastle formation; South Korea having a wonderful bunch of energetic, crafty midfielders and their own versions of Heskey and Altidore up front...).
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

As marvellous as South Korea were yesterday, I turned off midway through the second half as Greece were just painful to watch, playing as they were with a strategy seemingly modelled on the Battle of Thermopylae - get yourself into a disadvantaged position against superior forces from the East, then defend the hell out of it until the inevitable defeat.

I mean bless em, they adapted their strategy from "play for 0-0" to "protect the 1-0 deficit with your lives" with admirable gusto.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Greece must be praying that Renhagel retires after this one - the problem with winning a major European football tournament for a country with no real pedigree is it makes the manager pretty much unsackable, even if he was then promptly rumbled.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Cliffjumper wrote:
It felt like watching an Eriksson team again - the same quiet desperation and haplessness, the same feeling of the game just drifting away.
This sums up exactly how it felt to watch them yesterday, I know 90 minutes doesn't make a cup, but that same impotent meandering was most definetly reminiscent of the weak capitulation at the hands of a ten man Brazil.

No invention, nothing. The best player I saw for England was probably Glen Johnson, Terry was solid if anonymous, Carragher, oh dear God what a desperate gamble, can you imagine what Messi would do to him? It's giving me nightmares.

Centre halves look so shakey, I'm not an Upson fan, but based on what I saw of Ledley @too injured to train' King, I mean what IS up with that, surely by definition he's not match fit? Carragher has never played well for England and even the Anfield faithful must recognise those legendary club performances ar e becoming fewer and fewer.

So in my limited capacity to understand all things football, I'd try Defoe up front, Rooney linking up behind with the midfield, Cole on the left and Upson along side Terry. Green to remain in goal. Rooney and Defore aren't slouches in the air for 'little' fellas, I don't know what the solution to our wingers are, but Lennon it isn't.

But..

I support Wigan Athletic and think Paul Scharner is/was God. So what do I know?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I take solace in the fact that my pre-match prediction down t'pub was a widely scorned 1-1 draw. They really weren't laughing at me later on.

We even watched it with an American who, post-match, proudly strutted about proclaiming a draw to be as good as a win from his perspective. He didn't hear my subsequent Vietnam comment.

I think if we hadn't wasted a substitution in the first half by finding out Milner was completely out of his depth as a starter (I mean isn't info like that what the friendlies are for?) I think we probably would have seen Crouch sooner... say what you want about him, we do brighten up once we throw him on.

I think the smartest decision of the past 24 hours was me waiting until the last ten minutes before turning on Algeria vs Slovenia. Now hopefully Serbia (one of my sweepstake teams) can produce something worthwhile against Ghana. No match so far with more than two goals... and, regardless of what I said yesterday, those vuvuzelas aren't making my hangover any more bearable.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Now this, on the other hand, is quite good fun so far, Germany meticulously knocking the shit out of Australia.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It would take until the third game of day 3 to produce something vaguely interesting, wouldn't it...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is it me, or does Ozil look like a very young Peter Lorre?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I'm not sure which one Ozil is... I pressed mute to save my sanity, thought of something I needed to find on Spotify and sort of stopped paying attention...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:I'm not sure which one Ozil is...
The one who looks like a young Peter Lorre
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So not being much of a football expert, was England seemingly giving up about twenty minuets from the end and just settling for a draw just part of some incredibly cunning and sneaky strategy that will win them the cup?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Twenty minutes from the end? They gave up 20 minutes from the start.

And now Cahill goes! A bit harsh, but then he's an Australian sportsman, and it's hard to find any real sympathy. Apart from that he's not Australian. Actually, it'll give the bastards something to moan about other than being given a good old fashioned German slapping...