Ye Olde Doctor Who Thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:Was JNT on drugs or something?
Insert a comment about the 6th Doctor's costume here.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

TV MOVIE TIEM.

Why didn't Sylvester just check the scanner FFS?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I really should have started counting the Terminator lifts, but I got distracted by the cheap knock-off Dana Scully.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The Doctor running like **** out of the Tardis after he finds out an evil snake is mucking about with the electronics (and could presumably shrink the interior or turn off the air if they ate the right thing) always made sense to me. I think the issue is the direction fail of having him leave the ship so casually.

There's at least a great idea in the film--man falls out of the sky, dies and then turns into someone else is a great SF mystery hook--but the whole thing is buggered by the bulk of the length being given over to characters trying to solve the mystery of this amnesiac when it's all been very carefully explained to the audience at the start in dull voiceover.

Starting with the Tardis crashing and then explaining what happened later in flashback would make so much more sense (and deal with things like the fact Lee entering the Police Box is one of the great Tardis interior reveals... undone by it being blown before the credits have even finished at the start in a way that must have taken audiences unfamilair with the show a while to work out, "What's that box got to do with the cathedral?").
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Yeah, the way he wanders out in no way comes across as "erk, panicky get out of here".

MASSIVE points to whoever wrote the script for the whole "In the fight for survival there are no rules" line to handwave away why "no, we're not going to bother explaining anything about the Master's snake body or wacky spit". ****'s sake.

There's so much potential good in here that just gets shat on by other stuff.

Have the fanwank books or audios bothered explaining why the Daleks were in charge of executing the Master yet?

[EDIT] Ploughing straight on with Rose because why the **** not.

Christ the sound levels on this are awful. Dialogue buried by music all over the place. Doing this on blu ray - was the DVD this bad?

[EDIT II] Those photoshopped pictures of Ecclescake at JFK's assassination are ****ing terrible.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Have the fanwank books or audios bothered explaining why the Daleks were in charge of executing the Master yet?
They barely even sound like the Daleks. It's been a while since I saw the movie, but did they even get named on-screen? The modulation is there, but the pitch is way off. Daleks on helium.

Also, if you're gonna keep us updated on your nu-who viewing, might use the appropriate thread for that. ;) With no new episodes on the air, no one's posting in it as it is.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Tetsuro wrote:Also, if you're gonna keep us updated on your nu-who viewing, might use the appropriate thread for that. ;) With no new episodes on the air, no one's posting in it as it is.
It's eleven years old and three (four depending how you're counting) regenerations ago. As far as I'm concerned this is the appropriate thread.
inflatable dalek

Everything pre-Capaldi is now officially under the Classic Who banner as far as BBC licencing goes (the blu rays Brend is watching use the McGann logo on the covers for example), hence things like Tennant and Weeping Angels being doable for Big Finish. So from a legal perspective this is entirely the right thread.

I'm not sure of the details, but yeah, there's supposed to be some sort of sound problem with the blu's, IIRC everything speeded up slightly in the same way American TV converted to PAL used to (like the TV Movie in fact).

It was interesting in my rewatch how much more dated in terms of production the Eccleston Months felt compared to anything that came after. It feels feels Very 2005 in a way series 2 doesn't feel to the same extent for 2006.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:Everything pre-Capaldi is now officially under the Classic Who banner as far as BBC licencing goes (the blu rays Brend is watching use the McGann logo on the covers for example), hence things like Tennant and Weeping Angels being doable for Big Finish. So from a legal perspective this is entirely the right thread.
Also, I don't think we've even got an all-purpose 21st Century Who thread. There's individual threads for each new season, and then this which was set up for discussion of older stuff while it's off-air (the clue being in the very first post).
I'm not sure of the details, but yeah, there's supposed to be some sort of sound problem with the blu's, IIRC everything speeded up slightly in the same way American TV converted to PAL used to (like the TV Movie in fact).
It wasn't as noticeable in End of the World (or whatever ep 2 was called). And will that be why the tv movie was 85 minutes? I just assumed the 90min runtime most places cite was a rounding up...
It was interesting in my rewatch how much more dated in terms of production the Eccleston Months felt compared to anything that came after. It feels feels Very 2005 in a way series 2 doesn't feel to the same extent for 2006.
Watching it on non-remastered blu ray on a 50" screen isn't really helping the production values, tbh...
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:Everything pre-Capaldi is now officially under the Classic Who banner as far as BBC licencing goes (the blu rays Brend is watching use the McGann logo on the covers for example), hence things like Tennant and Weeping Angels being doable for Big Finish. So from a legal perspective this is entirely the right thread.
[screams internally]
inflatable dalek

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Also, I don't think we've even got an all-purpose 21st Century Who thread. There's individual threads for each new season, and then this which was set up for discussion of older stuff while it's off-air (the clue being in the very first post).
Maybe Tetsuro meant the 2005 series one thread, which has been quite for a very long time ;)

It wasn't as noticeable in End of the World (or whatever ep 2 was called). And will that be why the tv movie was 85 minutes? I just assumed the 90min runtime most places cite was a rounding up...
The PAL release should be a little shorter yeah, but probably still just under the full hour and a half. There's been some speculation--assuming they do it properly--that the advantage of the upscaled blu ray is it should be at the original speed.

IIRC the nuWho Blu error was the result of them coming out in America first and the person who did the upscaling of that SD material got confused and thought they needed to do a NTSC/PAL conversion. Despite this being pointed out repeatedly they weren't corrected for the later UK release.

The BBC are formally announcing Power at midnight, but the press release accidentally went up somewhere early. Looks like the animated episodes are going to be stripped across a week on the BBC store to coincide with its 50th. It's claimed to be exclusive to them for a while, but presumably a DVD (and Itunes ect) outing will follow.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

DVD of Power is out on 21st November.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LOC83Y2

Hopefully this'll go well enough for them to start tackling some of the others.

Of course I won't be able to watch the bloody thing until I've finished my rewatch because Rules but hooray and stuff. :)
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

****ing hell, I'd forgotten about the reality tv episode. Christ alive.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

And that Bad Wolf thing is still ****ing bobbins.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Well since you insist on talking about nu-Who in old Who thread;

I don't think this guy likes nu-Who very much.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...and I'm not wasting my time reading all that. Jesus, its just a TV show FFS. Don't like it, don't watch it. You like the old stuff better? Great, go watch that. It still exists. Silly person, wasting all that time spaffing that out when they could have been doing something more productive, like ironing or something.

Bloody hell.

As for 'Bad Wolf', yeah that still makes no sense at all "its a message". No, its nonsense. The reality TV pastiches felt really dated even when this was originally broadcast. Its a shame, because I otherwise like the big Dalek-y finale and especially like the juxtaposition of Rose being dumped in the past and the ordinariness of that compared to the jeopardy at the end of time.

Does make me wonder though, if Rose had just stayed at home and let the Tardis moulder, whether it would have eventually become a bit noticeable, as in 'The Name of The Doctor'...
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Tetsuro wrote:Well since you insist on talking about nu-Who in old Who thread;
The Ecclestone stuff is older now than the McGann movie was when it originally aired. Get the **** over it.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Get the **** over it.
Ever noticed that whenever somebody says that to anyone, it never helps?
inflatable dalek

Considering we've been talking about the new series stuff in this thread for a couple of years now (I think every mention I made of my rewatch was in here) this seems a moot point now and an odd thing to mention once, let alone twice.

So in an attempt to sound like a mod: No more snark about talking about the 2005 onwards series in here.

I was actually surprised the Bad Wolf reality TV stuff hadn't dated as badly as I expected, Big Brother still being on helped. Still not a very good episode though (but I did like Eccles having no time for that shit, it's easy to imagine his two successors playing up to the cameras). And who thought putting the end of an episode where the Daleks being in it is supposed to be a surprise in the previous next time trailer? "Well, our big twist for the end of the year has already been blown, might as well ruin everything!"

Christ, imagine if they'd been able to pull of the regeneration without anyone knowing beforehand?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I was still legitimately surprised by the regeneration when it aired. I'd heard that Ecclescake wasn't coming back for series 2, but hadn't realised at the time that it had been agreed with time for them to cast a new guy before filming had finished.

I would absolutely love a surprise regeneration, but that's just never going to happen nowadays given the profile of the show.

Do you reckon Ben, Polly, Ian and Barbara get wacky flashback chills whenever they hear the TARDIS landing in London or do they get all excited about it like Mickey and Jackie?

Who put Tennant in pajamas then? It was Jackie, wasn't it? Of course it was.