@Cliffy: Gundam?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Very true.. also, the voice-actor issues really have hurt the Gundam series in recent years as well, which you really wouldn't see in American releases. Sayla Mass was effectively written out of Gundam due to some internal conflict with her voice actress and Tomino. Also, apparently there was a pretty big scandal between SEED's producer/director and the voice actress for Cagalli as well, which the producer took out on the character.

Here, we just recast based on vocal ability, oddly enough...
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

TFVanguard wrote:Very true.. also, the voice-actor issues really have hurt the Gundam series in recent years as well, which you really wouldn't see in American releases. Sayla Mass was effectively written out of Gundam due to some internal conflict with her voice actress and Tomino. Also, apparently there was a pretty big scandal between SEED's producer/director and the voice actress for Cagalli as well, which the producer took out on the character.

Here, we just recast based on vocal ability, oddly enough...
Is that any different with Hollywood directors and actress scandals?

But this is the first time i've heard of such personal issues actually affecting the in-universe fictional storyline. haha

Still, i'd like my 15 year old guys to sound like 15 year old guys (eg: Quatre, Nicol, etc) and not 40 year old women.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

relak wrote:Is that any different with Hollywood directors and actress scandals?
It doesn't ususually wind up hurting the end product, though there are exceptions. (Though not a sexual scandal, we don't have to look farther than Megan "Everyone I hate is a Nazi" Fox).
But this is the first time i've heard of such personal issues actually affecting the in-universe fictional storyline. haha
Though not as true now, in Japan it's considered very gauche to replace someone in a creative role. They would rather write a key character out (Sayla Mass) or even end a series than simply recast someone. This has given us some bizzare situations in anime, particularly for the longer-running franchises.
Still, i'd like my 15 year old guys to sound like 15 year old guys (eg: Quatre, Nicol, etc) and not 40 year old women.
I do have to credit the American dubs of Wing, etc. for getting fairly suitable voices for the cast. I've heard some of the original Japanese tracks for some shows and I just can't help but shake my head. Japan must have some very effiminate young boys over there...
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

TFVanguard wrote:Though not as true now, in Japan it's considered very gauche to replace someone in a creative role. They would rather write a key character out (Sayla Mass) or even end a series than simply recast someone.
I used to think that must be why adult Goku sounds like kid Goku instead of a man, but I've seen enough anime where they had the common sense of replacing the VA with someone who can pass off as an adult when a character grows up.

Meanwhile, I completed the HGUC RX-78 vs Zaku II set I bought from HLJ. Probably could've done a bit better job if I had some sanding tools which prompted me to order some model kit tools from there too while I consider which kit I should take up as my next project. Probably the MG RX-78 since I was supposed to get that last year.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I want a Haro.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Me too! I should look at getting one.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yay. I'll call it Spanky.
Him: "Ah, they have it on eBay... 15 bucks. They have it in pink."

Me: "I WANNA PINK ONE!"

Him: F**k you, I want green! Oh, they don't have it in green..."
Just for posterity. Hound was pwned by eBay. Our children must know.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Does it talk?
Sades

Post by Sades »

That'd be nice, wouldn't it? We haven't got him yet- but it's on the list.

Eggs, milk, bread, Haro.

On a more related to thread note, I've been watching 00 and the first Gundam show with Hound. They're aiight, too early to really have much of an opinion. I'm leaning towards liking 00 more right now, but not by much.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Sades wrote:On a more related to thread note, I've been watching 00 and the first Gundam show with Hound. They're aiight, too early to really have much of an opinion. I'm leaning towards liking 00 more right now, but not by much.
That is crazy talk. I feel completely the opposite...

She's seen 13 episodes of 00 and 4 of MSG though.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I sure wish I could get the purple Jerk Haro from 00.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Guys, on the topic of GUNDAM 0079, i ve seen screenshots of a particuarly infamous episode of Gundam in which the art is completely off model.

I read online that the episode was disavowed by the creator himself and left out of subsequent video releases.

But there is bound to be the episode on at least one video release right?
Those screenshots looked quite ok so it couldnt have been from a VHS rip
Hound

Post by Hound »

I don't know about the off model part, I know which episode you're talking about, I've seen the episode and I didn't notice anything wrong with it.

It's never been dubbed but you can find it online with fansubs.

I thought it was a pretty good episode but apparently Tomino can't stand it.

As for being on any official release, I dunno. Could be on a Japanese release of the series or on some bootleg collection.

PS: It's "Mobile Suit Gundam" not Gundam 0079. :glance:
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Hound wrote:I don't know about the off model part, I know which episode you're talking about, I've seen the episode and I didn't notice anything wrong with it.

It's never been dubbed but you can find it online with fansubs.

I thought it was a pretty good episode but apparently Tomino can't stand it.

As for being on any official release, I dunno. Could be on a Japanese release of the series or on some bootleg collection.

PS: It's "Mobile Suit Gundam" not Gundam 0079. :glance:
Thank goodness you know what youre talking about.

I've been on anime forums where i mention "Mobile Suit Gundam" and they're like "Which Mobile Suit Gundam?"

So i have to say "Gundam 0079" or "The original 1979 Gundam"
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well I'm well on my way to having a figure for all the Gundams in Gundam Wing. So far I've got an MG Epyon, 1/144 scale models of Shenlong, Deathscythe, Sandrock and I just got a Heavyarms last night. I've found that I'm really taken with the Heavyarms Gundam. It's absolutely a gorgeous design and with all it's weapons it's pretty kick ass.

I discovered that there isn't model kits for the Heavyarms Kai and Sandrock Kai though. Apparently there just wasn't enough of a difference between the original designs and the upgraded forms to warrant releasing new kits.

I did find that they did action figures in the Mobile Suit In Action (MSIA) line for the Sandrock Kai and Heavyarms Kai and found them online relatively cheaply.

So now I just need to get the Wing, Wing Zero, Altron, Deathscythe Hell and the Endless Waltz versions and I'm all done with the Gundam Wing kits I want.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

So I take the odds of a MG Psycho Gundam aren't too good?

Not that I'm surprised, the HG Psycho Gundam is almost as tall as MG Perfect Zeong!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well, I'm no expert mind you but as far as I can tell Bandai is far more concerned with releasing kits for the current animes like AGE and Unicorn or 00 and SEED than any of the stuff from back in the 80s or 90s.

I think the RX-78-2 gets a fair bit of attention but that's about it.

I don't know if a MG Psycho Gundam was ever released before but I'd wager that's the only way you'd ever find one.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Psycho Gundam had no MG.

Occasionally Bandai releases a new mould MG from previous lines, like the Marasai from Zeta this year. I do think that they're going to be much more focused on 00, SEED and Age this year, though.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

relak wrote:Guys, on the topic of GUNDAM 0079, i ve seen screenshots of a particuarly infamous episode of Gundam in which the art is completely off model.
The two newest compilations of "First Gundam" (as a lot of fans will call it) includes the episode, heavily re-edited with cell footage from other episodes. It's not nearly as jarring now, and helps fill a serious continuity issue in the middle of the series.

There's barely even any official acknowledgement that the original version even exists now. For new fans, the only real way to tell is to note the differences between the Toonami, Anime Legends, and UK compilation dubs. The episode orders are a little different, and the UK compilation does not have the "lost" episode at all.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Hound wrote:I discovered that there isn't model kits for the Heavyarms Kai and Sandrock Kai though. Apparently there just wasn't enough of a difference between the original designs and the upgraded forms to warrant releasing new kits.
I know the US kits for the TV versions of both Heavy Arms and Sandrock had the sprues (but no instructions) for making the Kai versions instead. My Japanese Heavy Arms model (non HG) also had the double-barrelled version of the cannon, which is only on the Kai...
So now I just need to get the Wing, Wing Zero, Altron, Deathscythe Hell and the Endless Waltz versions and I'm all done with the Gundam Wing kits I want.
The new HG Wing and Zero kits are very nice, so snag them. You'll still want to get a blue Gundam marker for the intakes, though. I never picked up the Altron... and my poor Deathscythe Hell has seen better days. :S