@Cliffy: Gundam?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Hound

Post by Hound »

You can't call the local Fedex customer service and ask them?

You could also email HLJ and ask them...
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

TFVanguard wrote:It's fair to say that the details are a bit dated, though, due to the whole 1970s animation thing.
How about...a kit that actually looks like it's from the animation?

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=109678

Pretty impressive, I must say.
Hound wrote:You could also email HLJ and ask them...
That's exactly what I did - turned out that the first time around, the address label got chewed up, and the second time, all the necessary paperwork wasn't included, but on the third time around it finally got here - yesterday, as a matter of fact.

And holy shit the frikkin' rings for Zaku's pipings are in on tight, by thumbnail still hurts - I was trying to do it by instructions, but every time I just gave up, snapped the whole damn thing off and cut off the end every time so I could just remove each ring entirely and place them onto the pipes one by one that way.

I'm probably gonna wait until my fingers stop hurting before I get to work on the Psycho. Are there special primer paints I need or can I just apply white enamel paint over the dark parts I want to paint, wait for it to dry and then paint whatever the hell colour I like over it? I should probably do the same for Zaku's heat hawk, I tried using a yellow gundam marker straight onto grey plastic and it looks like crap so I'm not expecting it to look any better on Psycho's black.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I just finished watching Gundam AGE yesterday and... Hmmm...

It's kind of hard to nail down my thoughts on this one. It's such a mixed bag.

I live the mobile suit designs, except for a couple of the enemy suits. I also love the charcter designs and just the whole look of the show in general. I also liked the concept of telling the story with four separate story arcs.

However, the last two story arcs kind of fall flat. The third main character becomes very cliched and annoying and the first main character becomes one dimensional and annoying by the end too. It's all very predictable by the end of the show.

It did start very well though and I wouldn't call it bad overall, like it's not as bad as Destiny or F91, but the last half of the show should have been better given how well it started out.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I've expanded a little on my collection. Got three HGUC RGM-79s and ZZ Gundam the other day.

I got three GMs because I read a standard EFSF combat team consists of three GMs supported by two Balls which I already had, and since they were so stupidly cheap and stupidly easy to build (just two runners each), I was like "why not"? I've never done armybuilding, and certainly not literally!

The ZZ Gundam makes me feel kinda miffed by the fact there's no 2.0 of the MG because I really love the mobile suit, but I'm really not a big fan of the partsforming (Core Base doesn't really transform at all, it's all just parts-swapping) and it leaves a lot of spare parts lying around, while I know the MG achieves a perfect transformation but it's so floppy it cannot even hold it's gun up. And why the hell does the HG ZZ come with two beam sabres but only one hand that can actually hold either of them?
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Partsforming is one bad aspect of the Gundam model line, unfortunately. Most 'transformable' Gundams will need some parts-forming due to the nature of the models, and it really shows on the 'hero' machines like the Double Zeta. Personally, though, I always thought the Double Zeta's transformation was overwrought.. and I wound up leaving the mecha in mobile suit mode all the time anyway.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Tetsuro wrote:I got three GMs because I read a standard EFSF combat team consists of three GMs supported by two Balls which I already had...
Hehe
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Jaynz wrote:Partsforming is one bad aspect of the Gundam model line, unfortunately. Most 'transformable' Gundams will need some parts-forming due to the nature of the models, and it really shows on the 'hero' machines like the Double Zeta. Personally, though, I always thought the Double Zeta's transformation was overwrought.. and I wound up leaving the mecha in mobile suit mode all the time anyway.
My issue with partsformers isn't the partsforming itself, it's the huge pile of extra pieces you're gonna be left with in any of the modes. I mean, the G-Fortress' cockpit becomes the gun and is gonna have to come off, no getting around that, but when not in mobile suit, it's head AND feet come off and don't go anywhere. Same goes for the thrusters in mobile suit mode.
Hound wrote:Hehe
Not those balls! :p
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Got the Zeta 2.0 yesterday.

The right shoulder keeps coming loose as it's only held on by a small bit of polycap which annoys me, and the cockpit is slightly slanted for some reason :(

It's mostly the former that annoys me because I keep trying to put it back on with the army still in the socket because I'm also trying to pose it holding that giant Hyper Mega Launcher. What is with these kits and the struggle it takes to pose them holding their two-handed weapons with both hands?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I finally cracked open the Gundam I bought some time ago and made it. And damn, the pieces on this particular kit is very, very fragile. And I have no idea how on Earth do they suppose I could deal with the itty-bitty stickers they included.

But after a lot of swearing, near-destruction of parts (the only part I actually snapped was the Amuro pilot minifigure which I don't care).

Still, after all's been said, it's a nice little figure. Parts keep popping off but then he's going onto the shelf so there's that.
Attachments
IMG_8004.JPG
Hound

Post by Hound »

Gundam Build Fighters is well underway and it has been extremely good so far. I have high hopes for this one.

It's set in present day and the concept is that they've invented a way to animate plastic model kits in a virtual reality arena and that you would pilot the kit you've built in gunpla battles.

It's a giant commercial, yes, but it manages to go beyond that and just be a really fun, enjoyable romp.

Along with the show is the promotion of the "All Gundam Project" which promises the release of long out of production kits, or kits that were never made at all. Cannot wait to pick up some of these.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote:Hehe
That's totally something I would do.

I think I've corrupted him.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well, been a long time since I posted anything in here.

Build Fighters was terrific. It's a giant love letter to the entire franchise and just sooo much fun. If you can't watch and enjoy this show then you just don't like good things...

The second series, Build Fighters Try, looks to be more of the same.

The other new series is Gundam G no Reconguista. It's about 9 episodes in so far and very reminiscent of Turn A. It's directed by Tomino too. The mecha look so pretty in this one though.

I so want a G Self kit.

Also my Gunpla collection has expanded quite a bit. My personal favorites include the HG Palace Athene and the HG Star Build Strike.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I've decided to just not bother with Build Fighters since the tournament aspects in G Gundam turned me off pretty badly. It sounds like it's especially painful to watch if you happen to have some unpopular canon suit as your favourite and it shows up for like five seconds only to be destroyed.

I haven't checked G-Reco either, but that's mostly because I'm already in the middle of re-watching all the OYW stuff (MSG, 0080, 08th MS Team, MS Igloo) and plan to continue with the rest of the UC since I remember almost nothing about Zeta, ZZ or CCA - all in preparation to watch Unicorn (despite of hearing it's not so good) - and then eventually all the other pre-2000 Gundam I haven't already seen, like Turn A and Victory.

Out of curiosity...any of you watched X?
Hound

Post by Hound »

I did, I talked about it in this thread.

It's got some of the best characters, and the story is really good. It's just rushed at the end because the series got cancelled.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Oh.

Well as it is, it's certainly my favourite AU Gundam so far - I say "so far" because I've yet to watch Turn A or any of the post-millenium gundams outside 00 (which I didn't like) - and considering the comments I so often hear about Seed and AGE, I'm probably not gonna bother with either one of those.

That's not say I'm not going to watch Turn A - let's just say I'm saving it last.