Ipod guilty pleasures

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
britbot
Protoform

Ipod guilty pleasures

Post by britbot »

Just recently got an Ipod and after talking to some friends realised that nearly everyone has at least one album that doesn't fall into what people would expect them to listen to. so i was just wondering what peoples' taste in music and their guilty pleasure is. I'm a massive trance and dance fan but the first album on my Ipod is Madonna's Greatest Hits
i don't care what anyone says sabrina the teenage with was a good game
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Currently on mine.

Transformers: '86 movie original soundtrack plus 2 Linkin Park from those two movies.

Hymn: Recent got this CD from my church and they are great.

How To Train Your Dragons: Original soundtrack

Bon Jovi: A collection of his songs from....... his very first album until up to date.

On reserve:
Japanese pop: A random collection of Japanese pop songs.

Rock: A random collection of rock/heavy metal songs.

LOTR: Lord of The Rings original soundtrack (Fellowship and Return, no Towers).

And some others that I don't remember now.

I don't know which one people expect me not listening to. I didn't ask. You can try guess one.
britbot
Protoform

Post by britbot »

well in my case it's not so much what peole have said just that if you browsed my Ipod Madonna doesn't quite gel with everything else your collection seems a lot more eclectic though so maybe i'm just too close minded
i don't care what anyone says sabrina the teenage with was a good game
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

If you searched my iPod, you would come across 90+% of the material composed of metal/hard rock/alternative rock/grunge/punk/classic rock.

Then there are a few things thrown in like Leona Lewis and Pink. These are on there for my wife, but I don't mind listening to Pink every once in a while; she's got some good tunes. And I have a ton of Michael Jackson's catalogue, which I listen to on a regular basis, mixed in with my rock music.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I don't really do the MP3 player thing, but I do have a variety of mix discs I keep in the car. One of these is called my "Disc of Shame"; songs that I can't really admit to liking without friends who know my musical tastes mocking me. It's a Winter/Summer CD as I can't play it in the Spring or Fall with the windows down. :)
It includes such hits from the closet as Madonna's Ray of Light, Cher's Believe, and Fenderman's Mule Skinner Blues. Totally ruins my street cred when people catch me with it in the player.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Nothing really.
I have a lot of old psychedelic rock now. Blue Cheer for the win!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

My iPod consists of a lot of varied stuff, so I'm not sure which one would be surprising.....

I have Bjork, Kylie Minogue, Jessie J, Lady Gaga, Darkthrone, Emperor, Burzum, Emilie Autumn, Elliot Smith, Deicide, Hank III, Those Poor Bastards, 357 String Band, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Brushy Creek Projekt, Christian Death, Rozz Williams, William S Burroughs, Nick Cave, AFI, At The Drive In, Muse, White Zombie, Pantera, Superjoint Ritual, Bathory, Edge of Sanity, Ayumi Hamasaki, Brown Eyed Girls, The Brilliant Green, Malice Mizer, Moi Dix Mois, Psycho Le Cemu, NIN, NON, Death in June, Acid Bath, Amon Amarth, 4 Non Blondes, Marilyn Manson, Nirvana, Melvins, Mother Love Bone, Deathgaze, Daft Punk, Benni Benassi, Electric Hellfire Club, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Ministry, The Smiths, Sisters of Mercy, Bahaus, Horrorpops, Misfits, Danzig, Samhain, Son of Sam, Waylon Jennings, Rachel Brooke, Madonna, The Runaways, The Omen soundtrack, Suspiria soundtrack, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Transformers 86 movie soundtrack, and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head..

So..yeah there are probably some surprises in there.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Hrm...Well, being slightly old fashioned I don't have an iPod but plenty of CDs and wacky old vinyl and cassettes (and even some mini-discs - truly, i am a Junkion!)...

In terms of possibly embarrassing records (but things i bloody love), i have; Shampoo's debut, East 17 'Walthamstow', En Vogue 'funky divas', Ren & Stimpy 'you eediot', Smash Hits 1991, Voice Of The Beehive 'honey lingers', Betty Boo's two albums, Cathy Dennis 'Am I The Kinda Girl?', Louise 'naked', Roxette and Kylie Minogue stuff...appalling early '90s dance collections

Quite an acquired taste, but i do have a number of Alien Sex Fiend records and other random '80s fancies that time has forgotten (Strawberry Switchblade, Bow Wow Wow...)

As for the twenty first century, well, pop music has been so bloody good that i am the proud owner of most of the Sugababes back catalogue, Rachel Stevens, Goldfrapp, Mutya Buena, Avril Lavigne, Lady Gaga, Gwen Steffani, Lady Sovereign, Jessie J, Tatu...etc etc

I suppose Jesus Jones are a source of permanent ridicule (never understood why - techno rock was eventually appropriated by pop music anyway, and you can hear their influence -whether concious or not- in everything from Betty Boo to Five to Girls Aloud), but i love them and 'Perverse' is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Add into all this more 'sober' music choices, stuff from Pantera to Monkey Maffia, X-Ray Spex to Liam Lynch. I mainly like stuff that mixes things up. So things like Curve and Pop Will Eat Itself and the spiky, sickly trip hop of Ruby and the seedy Death In Vegas I absolutely adore. And I am a life long fan of Adam Ant too! Just because he is fantastic.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Skyquake87 wrote: Quite an acquired taste, but i do have a number of Alien Sex Fiend records
As do I, very awesome and underrated band.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

one of my favourite ASF lyrics is "i live in siberia/ through no fault of my own" :)

oh, and from 'dead and buried', this :

"You're all old and boring now / All the milk's been taken from the cow!"

Brilliant.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I honestly couldn't answer the question "what music do you like". Scrolling throuh my iPod on random, i get . . .
"Nothing suits me like a suit" from How I Met Your Mother
"Welcome to the Machine" by Pink Floyd
"Once Upon a Time in the West" by Dire Straits
"Loving the Alien" by David Bowie
The He-Man theme song
"Obsession" by Tinie Tempah
"Eve of the War" from Jeff Wayne's musical version of the War of the Worlds

Does any one of them fit with any other? If I have anything you could call a guilty pleasure, it would be the film and videogame soundtracks simply because I skip them if other people are listening.
I like bears.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

My biggest iPod guilty pleasure?

Female vocalists.

I don't care about what genre they play, just something about hearing a woman sing. Can't really put my finger on it. I usually live on a diet of rock, metal, and punk, so a few of the "pop tarts" I've got stashed away are a bit of an embarrassment when the guys are around.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Ackula wrote:Darkthrone, Emperor, Burzum, Acid Bath
Didn't take you as a fan of Acid Bath, but they are pretty amazing. Are you a bigger fan of PTT or WTKSP? I'm a bigger fan of the latter.
I'm not big on black metal either, but I do love Darkthrone's first album, and Ihsahn's Angl.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Didn't take you as a fan of Acid Bath, but they are pretty amazing. Are you a bigger fan of PTT or WTKSP? I'm a bigger fan of the latter.
I'm not big on black metal either, but I do love Darkthrone's first album, and Ihsahn's Angl.
Paegan Terroism Tactics, and the Agents Of Oblivion project that Dax had after Acid Bath. I like pretty much anything Dax Riggs has done to be honest. He is one of the last rock poets left.

Darkthrone's first album is shitty 90's death metal. Their best album was their second album, when they actually started doing something different than death metal. And on Transylvanian Hunger they had a good sound.

I think Emperor was far more advanced music than Ihsan's solo releases myself. But when he was with Peccatum, that was the best he ever was.

And I have decided my iPod guilty pleasure is actually the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, as I keep finding myself listening to it more and more, even though it is on there more for my daughter when we travel in the car.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

My generic 512MB MP3 player (it plays music, it doesn't need to cost more) currently has:

Story of the Year - "Hero Will Drown" (I have no idea if anything else they've done is any good, but this one's epic)
Fatboy Slim - "Right Here, Right Now"
Aki Okui - "Tsuki no Mayu", stunning closing theme from Turn A Gundam
Tasmin Archer - "Sleeping Satellites"
The KLF - "Last Train to Trancentral" (ALL ABOARD ALL ABOARD ALL ABOARD!)
Dee D Jackson - "SOS"
Selena Gomez - "A Year Without Rain"
The Rolling Stones - "Love is Strong" (GREAT HARMONICA BREAK MICK indeed)
Fragma - "Toca's Miracle"
David Bowie - "1984" - the funk-overload Dick Cavett live recording, with oodles of feedback
The Damned - "Little Miss Disaster"
Roxy Music - "Love is the Drug"
The Buzzcocks - "Ever Fallen in Love with Someone"
The Adverts - "One Chord Wonders"
David Bowie - "Thru These Architects' Eyes"
Jan Hammer - "Crockett's Theme"
Julee Cruise - "Into the Night"
Fleetwood Mac - "The Chain" (hacked down so it's just the old Grand Prix theme - though the title sequence doesn't include Piquet battering Salazar...)
Kirsty MacColl - "Walking Down Madison"

And NEST off the ROTF score. And that's it, that's all the music anyone ever needs.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

This week I have mostly been listening to the greatest hits of Huey Lewis and the News off the back of my rewatching Back to the Future. Yes, they did more than the two songs from the film, I was surprised as well. Good cheesy 80's fun as well, even if one song does feature one of the worst bits of rhyming I've ever heard ("The heart of rock'n'roll is the beat'UN/ And from what I've seen I believe'UM").

Generally not bothered if I should feel guilty or not about the music I like though. People who go on about "real" musicians being better than pop ones tend to annoy me greatly, I don't give a toss if a singer writes their own songs and plays all the instruments or not, I only care if they can at least vaguely hold a tune and if the songs any good (or at least fun). Give me Cheryl Cole over that Rage Against the Machine cack that was number 1 at Christmas. Despite the irony in watching 500 people jump up and down shouting "I won't ****ing do what you tell me!" on command.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

inflatable dalek wrote: Generally not bothered if I should feel guilty or not about the music I like though. People who go on about "real" musicians being better than pop ones tend to annoy me greatly, I don't give a toss if a singer writes their own songs and plays all the instruments or not, I only care if they can at least vaguely hold a tune and if the songs any good (or at least fun).
This. On the other side of that though, I've been through a phase of it. *shrugs*

This week's been old (10+ years old) staples. A little more on topic- um, I really don't think there's a whole lot about my musical tastes that would surprise people. I do feel a bit guilty about still listening to Korn though. Who wouldn't miss being an angry, hormonal moron? :o
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I didn't buy anything in that top 40, yet I was young enough to find immense joy in the whole "Rage Against the Machine" thing and cynical enough to laugh at the irony of all those people saying "f*** you, I won't do what you tell me" by all buying the same song.
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm still mildly narked that, having decided to "Take Back" the Christmas No 1 from Cowell they didn't pick an actual Christmas song. Considering it never got the top spot first time round, everyone loves it and it has the added bonus of including some (albeit mild) swearing to fool people into thinking its edgy surely Fairytale of Newyork would have been the perfect choice?

Though I do remember the cobbled together music video used on Christmas Day Top of the Pops being hilarious. using bits and pieces from various performances over the years you could see RAM turn from hardcore edgy young guys into paunchy middle aged ones who look like they need a haircut and a proper job.

Frankly, this Xmas No 1 still pwns it. He's got a better singing voice and kicks Will Carling.

Not entirely unrelated to me posting a video of a fat has been, am I the only person left on the planet who enjoys Robbie Williams' solo stuff in an unironic way?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Rodimus Convoy

Post by Rodimus Convoy »

People always seem surprised when I start rocking out to "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred.