Game of Thrones

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Prowl1984

Game of Thrones

Post by Prowl1984 »

Anyone caught this show yet? I'm loving it so far, it's good to see a dark fantasy series on TV. Haven't read the books so i'm not sure how accurate the TV show is by comparison. my only gripe is that it's a little slow but I get the impression they're trying to gradually introduce the audience to this massive world and it's politics.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Normally I steer well clear of anything containing the words 'Mark Addy', but I'm hearing good things about this, but work shifts and a shared TV, coupled with an absence of Sky + etc means I've deliberately not watched it so I can soak it all up on it's DVD release. That George Martin fellow seems like an enthusiastic author type.

Nice to hear Fantasy is being treated with the love and dramatic attention it deserves, normally we get lumped with shit like 'Krod Mandoon..', 'The Legend of the Seeker' and whatever movie of the week Syfy throw out.

The last time I invested in a series was 'The Walking Dead' and work shift patterns shafted me out of the final two episodes. Oh well bring on the DVD release.

Suppose it's too much to hope for a Raymond E Feist 'Riftwar' or Robert Jordan 'Wheel of Time' adaptation, here's hoping Throne makes it to a second season.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

"Wheel of Time" would be epic but I think they'd struggle to get so many seasons. I read an interview in SFX with the author of "Game of Thrones" and he said that each book in the series gets bigger and bigger.. The second book is likely to be divided into two separate seasons.

Hunter S.Thompson
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I am very much enjoying Game Of Thrones. Utterly unfamiliar with the books, so no idea how it stands but i am enjoying the slow and careful plotting and the leads are all likeable and engaging. Sean Bean's character looks like he's out of his depth with that nest of vipers that he's thrown his lot in with, loyalty to the king or not. Suprised to see that kid survived such a massive fall without being jellied, though.
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

I'm a fan of the books and I really enjoy the tv series. So yeah, it stands out well. It's as faithful to the books as you can get, which surprisingly is a good thing. A lot of the characters even look almost like I imagined them.

I've been recommending the show to everyone I imagine might like it, same goes for the books. The Song of Fire and Ice is the best Tolkien style fantasy I've read in a long time.
Thanks D!
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

I've decided to watch the first season before reading the books. I hear the third is still being written? Brave move by HBO to start filming a show based on an unfinished series of books.

Hunter S.Thompson
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

It's actually the fifth book that's being written (or possibly finished, since it's due to come out 12th of July) and with plans to divide to third book into two seasons, they've soon got six seasons worth of stories. I'd actually be really amazed if the tv series ever made it to even that.
Thanks D!
Matthewop
Protoform

Post by Matthewop »

yeah i just read the books never watched tv series... i think i would take a chance to see!