F1 Could Be Moving From the BBC, Possibly to keep BBC4 Running.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Prowl1984

F1 Could Be Moving From the BBC, Possibly to keep BBC4 Running.

Post by Prowl1984 »

seriously, who the hell watches BBC4!? It better not go back to ITV, twas a f***ing sham over there.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Errr, so this is about the BBC possibly not showing it in future rather than the sport being axed in some sort of bizarre clog related shenanigans? Because if it is that thread title's a bit misleading.

And BBC4 is generally awesome and one of the things that best represent the entire point of the BBC.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

ah yes...not the sport itself, that would be sillyness...

How does BBC 4 represent what the BBC is about? If i've got to pay a TV license I'd rather it be for something worthwhile... to be honest the BBC is generally a waste of space now that everyone has freeview and isn't stuck with the same 5 channels.

Hunter S.Thompson
inflatable dalek

Prowl1984 wrote: How does BBC 4 represent what the BBC is about? If i've got to pay a TV license I'd rather it be for something worthwhile... to be honest the BBC is generally a waste of space now that everyone has freeview and isn't stuck with the same 5 channels.

BBC4 represents the BBC at its best as it is able to do niche drama and documentary shows without having to worry about commercial concerns. Just of the top of my head things like the Quatermass Experiment live broadcast and the extended Sky At Night are both far more interesting and worthwhile TV shows than a bunch of people in cars going round and round in a circle for three hours.

Unless you're seriously suggesting the BBC should only broadcast things you personally like regardless of what the other licence fee payers may or may not like? Even though part of their remit is to provide something for everyone as best they can? And it's not as if sports fan aren't catered for at all.

After all, F1 is only, at best, the 5th most popular sport in this country, and I suspect more people would happily sacrifice it for more terrestrial football, rugby, cricket or tennis. So if we follow going down the populist route, the Beeb would get rid of F1 and invest the money saved into one of those more popular sports.

Plus, BBC 4 stuff is done on fairly tight budgets, so I don't think you'd get much F1 out of the money saved from axing it. And as I understand it, if it and BBC3 were scrapped the funds would be reinvested into BBC2, so you wouldn't gain anything.

And, whatever happens, F1 will still be broadcast on TV. Demanding the loss of an entire TV station just to keep it advert free is incredibly daft.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

hmm...didn't realise they were showing Quartermass...anyhoo, i doubt very much they'll actually do it. It's not so much the advert thing (although that is an issue), it's more the fact that it's handled so much better than on itv, be it commentary or detailed coverage.

I'm just generally pissed off that i have to pay a license fee in the first place...but then i'd have to put up with adverts, and no F1.... *sigh* it's a lose-lose situation.

Hunter S.Thompson
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Guess we need to rename this thread again, eh?
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Only 50% of it.
Wreck and Rule!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:Only 50% of it.
Ha! Good point.

Seems a bit counter productive on BBC's part. Their F1 coverage was really good, and was attracting great viewing figures. The justification from the BBC was that it was a move to save money, but I find that a bit weird. I guess Sky just offered more cash as per usual.

Not that I'm particularly bothered, as I don't watch F1, so would rather my license fee go on something else, but there we go.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
inflatable dalek

I don't think the BBC had much choice in the matter really. I do think this is going to be counter productive in terms of the sports popularity though, with only an average of one race a month on general telly now that's a lengthy gap between instalments for non-Sky people to fall out of the habit of following it.