Yogurt/Products you can't get anymore that you miss/Misc

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Yogurt/Products you can't get anymore that you miss/Misc

Post by Sades »

So I've been in the US for almost a week now and I've already found something I'm really gonna miss when I move home.

AAAH MAH GAAAAAZ

Seriously. Tillamook=Best yogurt I've ever had. I don't think I can get it back home, and this makes me sad. :( [/yogurt poem]

Dairy in this country is a little scary though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recombinan ... matotropin . Luckily this doesn't have any of that, so says the packaging.

(Dollar bills amuse me btw. As does the presence of Radio Shacks.)

Alright, purpose- Is there a product that you can't get anymore (be it because you moved, or because it's now out of production, or whatever) that you really liked? What be it?

Or

I like yogurt. What's your favourite yogurt?

Or

Oh, why not- What's your favourite anything? \o/
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Kentucky Nip cherry-mint soda. There were a precious few convenience stores that carried it when I was in high school, but it's nowhere to be found anymore.

On the yogurt front, I miss the whipped yogurt that had a gelatinous mousse texture. And the song from the commercial made me giggle: "You're my little fluffy one... You're my little whoopy doo." I always forget that yogurt tastes good, and then I go on a yogurt spree, then I avoid it again for some reason.

Now I want yogurt. And Kentucky Nip.

thanks a lot! :(
Hound

Post by Hound »

I wish I could get Canadian Mt. Dew here. Gonna buy that shit by the case when we've moved back to Canada.

I like Pomegranate Blackberry yogurt best.

I like comics a lot.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Someone slap if if I start sounding like Peter Kay, but the Co-Op used to sell these little lollies that were also... a whistle! And as the Co-Op was a good half hour walk over a playing field and past some allotments onto a whole different estate it was always an extraordinary special journey when we went over there, which made the whistle-lolly all the more amazing and awesome as it was a special treat for being so good on an epic journey.

I was 25 years old.

[Disclaimer: The Co-Op may actually still sell these, but as I now live way over on the other side of town they are dead to me. And I managed to avoid the Peter Kay thing by not going "Whistle! Whistle? Whistle. What was that all 'boot hey?" for an hour].
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Ah yes our chemist used to seel Whistle lollies and may still do

Orangina Rouge which was blood orange orangina

Carrot Rapee

both of which I developed a liking for while living in France
ΩΩΩ

Post by ΩΩΩ »

Till a mook does what?
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

optimusskids wrote: Carrot Rapee
Sounds painful.

Spirals. For some reason, Dairy Milk is much nicer in a spiral form.

1p sweets in corner shops. I used to love buying them.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Sixswitch wrote:Sounds painful.
Parsnips. Ouch! :eek:
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'd like to see various out-of-print fiction back catalogues re-released as budget ebooks, in the same way that a lot of old gaming materials have previously been released as PDFs. We're starting to see cheap "complete" box sets of lots of TV, and there's an opening for reading material to do the same.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Sixswitch wrote:
1p sweets in corner shops. I used to love buying them.

-Ss
You God, you!

As a kid I had a big glass sweet jar, one of those old school ones you'd see in old timey sweet shops? The post office was on my way home from school, and every so often I'd stop in for a load of penny sweets (usually chocolate molded into carpentry equipment shapes like saws & whatnot), along with jawbreakers, Wham bars & the like. I'd not touch the jar until it was full, and when it was full, I'd go on a massive binge on Saturday. Chocolate and sugar and bubblegum forever! That jar rocked.

I

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

I miss Apple Newtons. The most amazing "not-cookie, it's cake" ever.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I miss Mountain Dew Pitch Black, and White Cheddar Black Pepper Doritos.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Hound wrote:I wish I could get Canadian Mt. Dew here. Gonna buy that shit by the case when we've moved back to Canada.
Is nothing sacred anymore? It's bad enough you come here to steal our jobs and our wimmin-folk, now you foreign devils want our soft drinks too! This is where we draw the line, good sir! When next you cross the border, you'll be met with politely disapproving stares! I'm sorry to be so harsh, but it's really for your own good.

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between Canadian and American Mountain Dew? I've heard that they're different but never had a chance to try it when I've been in the US.

Your A&Ws weird me out, though.
Denyer wrote:I'd like to see various out-of-print fiction back catalogues re-released as budget ebooks, in the same way that a lot of old gaming materials have previously been released as PDFs. We're starting to see cheap "complete" box sets of lots of TV, and there's an opening for reading material to do the same.
I'm actually surprised how few industries take advantage of the huge backlogs of IP they've got at their disposal. The video game industry probably does the best job in this day and age, and even then they leave a lot to be desired.

By not making old books/movies/music/what have you available, companies are losing a lot of money to piracy and secondary-market resale.
Sades wrote:Dollar bills amuse me btw.
Dollar bills are awesome. When I was down in the States last month I was stunned by how convenient they were. I definitely prefer them over a pocket full of loonies and toonies.

American money feels funny to me, though. I think it's the paper...softer and not as 'crisp' as the Canadian stuff.

As far as stuff that I miss...when I realized that they don't sell model kits in places like Walmart or Toys'r'us anymore, I was very upset. Although the two half-built Enterprises in my closet can attest to the fact that I'm not interested in the hobby myself anymore, the fact that model-building has gone from being something for kids to being something for dedicated adult nerds inexplicably makes me quite sad.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:By not making old books/movies/music/what have you available, companies are losing a lot of money to piracy and secondary-market resale.
Yeah, and there's an argument that it's self-competition, but frankly most people who buy books go for bestseller chart drek... I don't think it'd hurt to churn out digital lines (and PoD for selected titles.)
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I miss Sunny D. I see its back in the shops, but its not the tarmac-melting sugar-thon of old.

1p sweets were amazing when I used to walk home from Junior school. They still exist, but they're not so thrilling now that I'm old enough to just buy a whole Toblerone and gorge on it any day of the week.

Auntie Slag, you're a hero. I always wanted to do something like that with sweets, but never had the resolve.

I've never been to the states, but I bought mountain dew and twizzlers at comic-con and now i really badly want some.

My favourite yogurt is just natural greek yogurt. Give me a big pot and a spoon and i'll be happy.

*edit* just realised sug-a-thon would have been better than sugar-thon.
I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Warcry wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between Canadian and American Mountain Dew? I've heard that they're different but never had a chance to try it when I've been in the US.
Canadian Mountain Dew lacks the caffeine kick of American Mountain Dew, which is why he prefers it. (It probably makes up for it in sugar content :p)
Warcry wrote:Your A&Ws weird me out, though.
You've got me curious. I haven't found an A&W to examine yet, but I will!
Warcry wrote:Dollar bills are awesome. When I was down in the States last month I was stunned by how convenient they were. I definitely prefer them over a pocket full of loonies and toonies.
I found the dollar bill (the money feels "clothy" to me) less convenient. It made rooting around in my bag for a dollar a bit more confusing, and here the city buses have one of those annoying bill machines installed that spit your money out if it's too wrinkled.
Warcry wrote:As far as stuff that I miss...when I realized that they don't sell model kits in places like Walmart or Toys'r'us anymore, I was very upset. Although the two half-built Enterprises in my closet can attest to the fact that I'm not interested in the hobby myself anymore, the fact that model-building has gone from being something for kids to being something for dedicated adult nerds inexplicably makes me quite sad.
Not quite dead yet... There's a few hobby shops that I know of that sells model kits for all ages. :)
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Sades wrote:I found the dollar bill (the money feels "clothy" to me)
That's the word I was looking for! :)
...less convenient. It made rooting around in my bag for a dollar a bit more confusing, and here the city buses have one of those annoying bill machines installed that spit your money out if it's too wrinkled.
It's probably a man thing. Pulling a one from my wallet seemed like a lot less trouble than digging around in my pocket full of change for a loonie, especially if I had my wallet out anyway to grab a five or a ten. Carrying a purse probably makes change a tad easier to handle, though, I always figured.

I can totally see why it'd make riding the bus more frustrating, though.
Sades wrote:Not quite dead yet... There's a few hobby shops that I know of that sells model kits for all ages. :)
<old>
I know, but it's not the same. The only people who go to hobby shops are the people that are already into things like that. Having the kits in Walmart or TRU exposed a lot of kids to them who would never would have even thought about it otherwise (like me).
</old>
Hound

Post by Hound »

Ok I'm curious, I've been to an A&W here in the US and in Canada and I didn't really notice anything to be weirded out about. Enlighten me...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The A&Ws I've been to in the States lacked the saccharine, insincere 1950s nostalgia that the ones up here are filled with. When I walk into one I expect to be bombarded with black-and-white pictures of drive-in restaurants, old cars and waitresses in roller skates, so not seeing that was a bit of an adjustment.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

American money definitely doesn't feel real. It's not thick and stiff enough, and the monochrome-ness makes it look like the cheap play stuff. $1 notes also give you a disproportionate sense of wealth, too - you can have a wallet with so many of the things it won't fold properly and still only have about £25 on you.

Of course, the whole "everything is much cheaper and much more abundant than in the UK" thing sort-of gives America check-mate in that particular currency war.

The McDonalds freaked me out, though, just because they were identical to the UK ones. I always thought that was an exaggeration until I went to one.