Looking for some Windows 7 advice

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Unicron

Looking for some Windows 7 advice

Post by Unicron »

Yeah, there's probably better places to ask, but since the people around here seem to know stuff...

Anyway, I'm putting together a new computer soon and it's the first time I'm having to deal with Windows 7, so I could use a little advice. Any particular problems or issues I should be keeping an eye out for?
Also, any thoughts on good, free anti-virus and spyware type stuff?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I've been using it for a little over a month now, and it seems pretty good so far. Beats Vista and I'm not sure how much continued support XP will have.

I've been pleased with Avast! Antivirus, and I think Spybot Search and Destroy is still king of the hill.
Lady Quickswitch

Post by Lady Quickswitch »

I second Avast! and Spybot Search & Destroy. I don't recommend AVG as I had a few viruses it wasn't detecting.

If Unicron had Windows as an operating system would he have been such a threat?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Ah, cool. Avast has been what I've been using for a while now with XP, I just wasn't sure if there was a better option available for 7. While I'm here, anyone know anything about that Microsoft Security Essentials thing?

Spybot eh? I'll definitely give it a look. I know I've used it to try and solve known problems but can't recall having used it as an always running preventative measure.
What's the view on Ad-Aware these days?

And thanks for the recommendations.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Not much to add beyond saying I quite like 7. But then I liked XP, so what do I know?
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Sir Auros wrote:I've been using it for a little over a month now, and it seems pretty good so far. Beats Vista and I'm not sure how much continued support XP will have.

I've been pleased with Avast! Antivirus, and I think Spybot Search and Destroy is still king of the hill.
I remember Windows 3 and as slow, featureless and ugly as that was it would beat Vista too.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Lady Quickswitch

Post by Lady Quickswitch »

I'm a Linux girl really, but I've been using Windows. If you ever want to switch to Linux I recommend Ubuntu (ease of use), or Gentoo (if you like compiling everything from the ground up to optimize it to your specific system.)
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Linux has been recommended to me in the past (some people I know swear by it) and I've considered it from time to time. But right now, not ready to make that switch. Plus I think when first trying it, I'd probably try for setting it up on a second machine, in order to make sure I like it and that it works well for me.

Thanks again for the advice and comments.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Any particular problems or issues I should be keeping an eye out for?
Explorer's missing little things like filesize counts in the status bar for any appreciable number of files... just install ClassicShell.

32bit is advisable if you have older hardware, unless you can verify 64bit equivalents are available.

Microsoft Security Essentials is as good as anything on the AV side, putting in good showings in independent tests (or at least it was a year a go when I was looking around.)

If you want a separate firewall, Comodo is decent and provides HIPS. I'm not using it at present. Not sure how stupid/overconfident that is, but have moved over to Chrome as a main browser (generally more secure architecture.)