Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Huntsman: Winter's War - Surprised they made a pre/sequel to Snow White & The Huntsman, with Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron reprising their roles as well as Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain along for the ride but no Kristen Stewart.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - Adapted from the memoir 'The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan', stars Tina Fey as Kim Baker, also Margot Robbie, Martin Freeman, Alfred Molina and Billy Bob Thornton.
Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Huntsman: Winter's War - Surprised they made a pre/sequel to Snow White & The Huntsman, with Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron reprising their roles as well as Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain along for the ride but no Kristen Stewart.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - Adapted from the memoir 'The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan', stars Tina Fey as Kim Baker, also Margot Robbie, Martin Freeman, Alfred Molina and Billy Bob Thornton.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Two black and white olde films on blu ray:

All Night Long: Patrick McGoohan in a jazz version of Othello. Nice.

Unfortunately the jazz isn't used to move the plot along, the film keeps stopping as various real life British jazz stars (amusing--considering it feels like one of the Venus Smith episodes--the composer of the original Avengers theme) have a jam. But the actual Shakespeare plot in the "present" day works really well thanks to some great performances, especially from Pat.

The booklet mentions the film got some stick at the time for giving the play a happy ending, but really it's a different sort of sad ending with the focus on the ruined Iago.

It's also funny that in a film based around Othello, none of the posters include the black guy.

Compuslion:

Film ripped from the same headlines as Hitchcock's Rope, only with Dean Stockwell and Orson Welles instead of That Bloke From Strangers on a Train and Jimmy Stewart.

I think Rope is the better and more concise film, but this is still very good and features some great performances (and Stockwell looks like a child!) and very dark material for 1959. I was actually surprised how Hayes code avoiding it seemed in places, the two leads are more overtly gay than in Rope, there's talk of rape and though they do go down at then end, Welles gets them a more lenient sentence.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Couple of Marvel flicks...

Avengers : Age Of Ultron

Decent sequel that doesn't feel too flabby, despite the repetitive 'world is in peril epic destruction' plot (will we get a Damage Inc. film at any point...?). Not enough Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver for my liking, so its impressive that Aaron Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen make them likeable and solid characters with the few lines they do get. Not overly convinced by the 'romance' between Banner and Romanov, but it doesn't bother me overmuch and I did feel a bit sad watching the Hulk sadly flying away at the end. Iron Man and Cap are both great, as ever and Spader does a great turn as Ultron making him sympathetic and sinister and then justreally very ticked off indeed. Big problem is Thor as he's a frickin' God and this and the previous Avengers flick do seem to be at pains to keep him held back to avoid the obvious "why don't they just get Thor to tw*t all the baddies?" answer he represents. Did do a small cheer again seeing J.A.R.V.I.S. become Vision. Good fun bit of nonsense. Only downside? Watching this, I can see the joins in the CGI, which are many and plenty. Did this have a 3D showing at the flicks, as I notice the CGI joins a lot more in films that have been 3D'd for no good reason when watching in 2D? Very distracting.

Captain America : |Civil War

This is properly good. A fine mini-series is turned into a grand film. Takes the source material and gives it a good repurposing for the film. Downey Jr is superb here in probably his best outing as Stark/ Iron Man, and obviously gets a lot out of the material. So much so that its actually a bit of a shame when he suits up as Iron Man (!). Chris Evans isn't overshadowed either in what feels more like an Avengers film, and I enjoyed his burgeoning relationship with Sharon Carter (more of her please film peoples)and struggle to protect the Winter Soldier. A lot of characters are crammed in, but all get enough to do and Black Panther and Spider-Man both make a great impression (Tom Holland is superb as Peter Parker/ Spidey). Sadly, Scarlet Witch has lost her Eastern European accent between films which is a bit of a jolt and took me out of the film - she can't have acclimatised that quickly to life in the US surely?! It does flag a little towards the end and does feel a bit drawn out, perhaps peaking a bit too soon with the punch up at the airport before we get some (much better) drama with some revelations about Stark's parents.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Captain America: Civil War - One of the better MCU movies, starring Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr and most of the other Avengers. Disappointed that I couldn't buy the steel book edition, after leaving it for a week I suppose it sold out faster than I expected, the steel book sold faster than the The Force Awakens steel book did.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Conan the Destroyer - so apparently the Conan blu-rays have suffered a variety of maladies, mostly involving the audio (I'm still not entirely certain what's wrong with Barbarian), but Destroyer has the 5.1 in wrong pitch - however, the French Steelbook and British single releases have the original, un-botched mono, and somehow the UK release even managed to escape the BBFC uncut.

I know Destroyer isn't very popular, but I have the lamest reason for liking it; my sisters rented it or something when I was little and I saw the hall of mirrors scene and for some reason that memory always stuck with me. But it's probably just because I wasn't supposed to be seeing it, kinda like that scene in Graveyard Shift where a dude gets crushed.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

The Transformers: The Movie 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Steelbook version. I don't have a 4K TV but it does looks and sounds great. So if you have a 4K TV you will get a great looking print at least.
Special features are plenty a new 45 minute documentary on the making the film with new interviews with Neil Ross, Flint Dille, Susan Blu, Stan Bush, Livio Rambalidi and others are nice and well done, but no interviews with Peter Cullen and Frank Welker which feels kind of weird. The restoration and the new cover featurettes are maybe a little technical and/or "patting ourselves on the back" type stuff that feel like only really film students and fans of Livio's artwork (and Livio comes off very well in the documentaries again I would love to have James Roberts but alas) would get much value of out of the rest are pretty much carry overs from the 25th anniversary DVD. Still overall a nice package and presentation.

Captain America: Civil War Why are the Marvel Movies vastly superior to the DC Movies? Watch this film and see why.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:The Transformers: The Movie 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Steelbook version. I don't have a 4K TV but it does looks and sounds great. So if you have a 4K TV you will get a great looking print at least.
Unless the steelbook is UHD, I don't think it really matters. "4K mastered" is just a marketing blurb.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Hardcore Henry - A first-person movie with multiple people playing the role of Henry who has just woken from an accident without his memory and has now become a cyborg, and must now rescue his girlfriend. Also, stars Tim Roth and Sharlto Copley.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Dumb & Dumber - on VHS!

Okay, that one's going to my sister actually since she asked me for the one she gave me for present back in the 90's because she watched it with her husband when they were still dating so it'd be a nice thing to do again, but I no longer had it then.

For myself, I picked up Towering Inferno on blu-ray. My mom loves that movie and I gave her the DVD but I don't think she ever watched it.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

MXC- Most Extreme Elimination Challenge Season 1 - it's amazing what shows up in the used DVD section at f.y.e. This show is great. And Guy is even stranger in the original Japanese......

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue - I first stumbled across this show on Hulu, but whatever deal they had with Sentai Filmworks came to an end and they pulled it. I figured I'd never see all of it unless Hulu renewed the deal with Sentai. Then I went in to f.y.e. and they had both volumes, used.

Dad Boot: The Complete, Uncut Miniseries - I didn't know it started life as a miniseries. This one just might be a case of my curiosity running away with me.....
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Nice Guys - 70's based comedy thriller starring Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling and directed by Shane Black. The two stars play private eyes investigating a missing girl.

Orphan Black season 4 - A science fiction thriller about clones, stars Tatiana Maslany.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Rambo trilogy on blu-ray!

Actually I already owned the old Lion's Gate release, but now I bought the Euro release by Studio Canal/Kinowelt because it has better transfers and substantial extras...and coincidentally, it turns out I actually had to buy new discs anyway because as it happens, I decided to check out the one bonus material on the old US discs that didn't make it to the Euro release (a trivia track) and discovered that all the discs apparently have become unplayable. Around the part when Rambo returns to the town, the movie starts twitching and freezing and becomes pretty much unwatchable, and I checked all three discs and they have this bronze fade towards the outer rim which is consistent with disc rot. And I was planning on selling them to a friend too :(
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

X-Men: Apocalypse steel book - Haven't heard as many good things about this one unfortunately.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Conan the Barbarian and Highlander on blu-ray.

What Fox did with Conan was a bit naughty; rather than just releasing a separate version in the UK, they essentially released both the cut and uncut version via seamless branching and the latter is only accessible if you watch it on a region A machine or set the player language to French (or some other language the disc has menus for, but apparently German isn't one of them for some reason). All I knew was that you had to set it to a language other than English but apparently Finnish didn't cut it and I only realized I was watching a cut version nearly two hours into the movie. Doh!

Oh, and I also got Highlander 2 a while back. The currently available US disc is a bare bones affair so I had to hunt down the older special edition, but there was a Canadian seller on ebay willing to ship his shrinkwrapped one internationally even though he'd only listed Canada as a destination, so I got that.

It's kind of funny though, that movie has now been released three times in the US alone (the second was the first disc bundled with the first movie), while other, much more popular films - Amazon Women on the Moon, for example - are still not on blu-ray. Ain't that some shit?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Warcraft: The Beginning - Based on the first Warcraft video game, directed by Duncan Jones (son of David Bowie) and starring Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton and Toby Kebbell.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Independence Day: Resurgence - Starring Jeff Goldblum, Liam Hemsworth and Bill Pullman and directed by Roland Emmerich, who directed the first one, which I actually like a lot, disregarding my initial views on it when I first saw it many years ago.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Re-Animator - I originally wanted the German blu because it has the most extras, but it was also like 60 eur on amazon.de nowadays so I never did - but I finally discovered that the only thing it has over the UK blu is the addition of a US TV cut and that's definitely something I can live without.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legend of Tarzan - Stars Alexander Skarsgard, Margot Robbie, Samuel L Jackson, Djimon Hounsou and Christolph Waltz in what is basically a sequel to the Tarzan story that everyone knows about, where Tarzan after making a life for himself is asked to come back to the jungle to defeat Waltz's character.