Slightly OT, But Nick Roche is Doing Death's Head. / Marvel Legends Death's Head figure previewed

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Yeah, sorry, say death's head and I think of a moth... :swirly:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Prefer the term butterfly, yes?

That Heroclix is nice, though try as I might I'll never get used to him in blue rather than green.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Did anything ever come of that Marvel Universe figure they announced ages ago?

I really want it. :(
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Nope.

Hopefully with all this renewed M:UK activity, he'll get one. Hell, I'd settle for DHII and Tuck.

If they can crank out a Scud toy, surely they can manage DH!

@dalek, DH's armour is actually black. Its that deep blue they used to use in the four-colour days to represent black that often gets translated to blue for toys and other media. Spider-Man has long suffered this to the point where he is now red and blue, rather than red and black (as featured in Marvels).
inflatable dalek

This is out now, though I'd forgotten about it until some Nick Roche art popped up on Kris Carter's Facebook feed.

As the cover suggests, it's actually a My Two Death's Heads comic rather than just the II version, and despite being well into this crossover it works perfectly fine as a standalone, other than the opening and closing it's basically a great big huge fun fight. And yes, the Tuck who caused such stirrings in Skyquake's heart is featured as well.

It is however kind of worrying that this mainstream(ish) Marvel comic managed to contain a reference making it firmly a part of the TFUK continuity in an entirely unobtrusive way that won't alienate new readers but ReGeneration One couldn't.

SPOILER! (select to read)
The issue is actually really a My Three Death's Heads, explaining what the hell was going on in DH3 and a massive fight between all versions of the character, tying directly into DHII's origin in six years. Bonkers stuff, but daftly entertaining none the less.
Art is, as you'd expect, really good.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I shall look forward to this (probably wont get to the comics shop until next week). I've been really enjoying this mini-event so far. Looking forward to seeing Motormouth.

And yay for Tuck!
inflatable dalek

There's a spoiler free (as the hosts hadn't had time to read it yet) interview with Roche in this here podcast that has some interesting things in it:

http://www.geekplanetonline.com/hosting ... st/?p=home

Stuff wot I learnt:

Roche was originally down for the Super Soldiers issue, and had to persuade the editor Death's Head was the sort of thing he could do (complete with slight sense of panic at having been given a job by Marvel and then going "No, what I'd actually like to do is...").

The feeling he might not be right for the book had nothing to do with being unaware of his prior robot credentials, but from wanting a grungy, dirty 90's style that the editor wasn't sure was his forte until a couple of audition sketches had been done.

The script was written in the old Marvel US style of synopsis then art then dialogue (as was Infestation, considering Lanning's involvement if Heart of Darkness was done the same way that explains a lot), meaning Roche got to contribute various moments and lines as he went along, including an Overkill mention and the Transformers nod.

Everytime they were in the same panel Roche did the best he could to make Death's Head I do something that made him look better than II.

The classic look for both versions was kept as Roche felt it was important for a one off return to not muck about with them, but if there were anymore he'd love to have a fiddle to come up with his own take on the character.

Apparently though, the sales for the series to date haven't been brilliant, so the odds on anymore for any of the British heroes isn't fantastic. Mind, I think Roche is being pessimistic on Marvel only paying attention to the Diamond figures, even if they're not published the digital and international sales are still going something Marvel are going to be aware of, and not ignore if they're making them good money.

I suppose it basically comes down to how much of an audience there really is for these characters in the UK (where the bulk of non-Diamond sales are going to be), is it just a very small but very loud group of die hard fans? These characters seem to be just popular enough for someone to have the idea of bringing one or more of them back every so often but never popular enough for it too last.

Mind, Death's Head is easily only second to Captain Britain himself in the recognisability stakes out of those featured, so if anyone stands a chance of breaking out it might be him.

If he could though, Roche would love to do a DH series treating him as the anti-Doctor Who, traveling through time to hunt down and kill people for money with a plucky young innocent sidekick who starts off thinking it's a great adventure before coming round to his way of thinking.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

TBH, I'm not expecting much to come out of this. I'm just pleased to see these characters revisited. Its been twenty two years since Marvel UK launched Overkill and nearly twenty since the plug was pulled and no one's shown much interest in reviving these characters, save for the odd cameo role here and there.

Death's Head is probably the only one that most folk have heard of, even if its only because of Kieron Gillen's recent championing of the character.

I think these comics have probably reached a very small but loyal readership - and most of those in the UK. Without any support from the US, I think this might realistically be a final throw of the dice for this lot.

It'd be nice to have Marvel do the odd limited series or one-shot now and then. In some ways, its a bit of a shame Marvel Comics Presents isn't still on the go as that would be an ideal vehicle for minority characters like these.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek

That's unexpected.

They'll announce the green version five minutes after I buy won't they?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hope so. I'm in for that, DH2 and even DH3 if they make 'em all...
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Ok yeah, need me one of those. Any idea what line that's being released under?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Marvel Legends 3+3/4" series, as far as I know, so the detailing's not bad for that.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Please please please be easily obtainable. I'll take two (one to repaint into the green outfit). Will look so awesome with my TFs, yes?
Wreck and Rule!
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

6" Scale would've been better for Transformers, but at this size he fits in with Marvel Universe and the new Doctor Who figures, so two out of three's not bad. Plus he'll still fit nicely with Cyberverse/Legends. I'm pretty excited for this guy.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Personally I can't get used to the updated look. Colossus' classic costume was much better.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Not bad at all. Any ideas on release date? Or I have missed that?
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Cliffjumper wrote:Personally I can't get used to the updated look. Colossus' classic costume was much better.
This is a fab joke anyway, but it's extra funny because that toy is like, 85% the Colossus they've already released. Which is almost certainly the only reason he's getting made. I expect we'll see a larger one whenever Hasbro makes a 6" Colossus as well.

@Skyquake87; I don't think they said, but he's somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd wave of the new Avengers line, so sometime around summer or fall, I'd guess.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Yeah, I'd prefer the green version, if only because his 'boots' are a little less camp than the above version.

I'd go for a "What If..." styled one as well. I mean, not that I can actually afford any of this plastic tat, but I can dream...

Enjoyed the new issue as well! It's apparently sold out of most London comic shops so I was forced to get the digital version, but that can only be a good sign I suppose. Nice to see Dragon's Claws make a brief appearance (and a mention of the Transformers - but not the Doctor, sadly!) and the banter between the Death's Heads was certainly serviceable (though DH2's monologuing at the largely mute baddies at the beginning was pretty painful. The caption box was invented for a reason!).
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

If he could though, Roche would love to do a DH series treating him as the anti-Doctor Who, traveling through time to hunt down and kill people for money with a plucky young innocent sidekick who starts off thinking it's a great adventure before coming round to his way of thinking.
I love the sound of that. I was always tickled by Furman's comment in one of the DH TPBs about how DH was a kind of embodiment of the worst excesses of Thatcherism. While I don't think he quite put that across at the time (and lets face it, the 80s was hardly a time when people were shy about their hatred of Thatcher) it would be fun to do something with that satirical angle now, especially with the Tories back in and everyone fuming again.

Mind you, that's hardly likely to be something the Disney corporation would be particularly interested in pursuing!
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!