Final Fantasy...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Yeah I couldn't care less...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Sades

Post by Sades »

He's not a gamer. He said it. :p

I am a gamer, but I have very little time nowadays and and am tending to stick to what I know more and more. I guess that means I'm old now.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

So I finished playing FF4 last night and it was fantastic. Just about every aspect of this game was great. There's a bit of silly dialogue due to poor translation in places but that's not a major issue unless you're a nitpicky douchebag.

Once I got used to the ATB it was a cinch. The final dungeon is a bitch and one of the mini-bosses was a ****ing nightmare. The final boss was a fare bit of trouble too but I managed to finish him the fourth time around.

All very satisfying. Quite proud of myself as apparently this release of the game is the much harder japanese version not the easytype that was released in NA as FF2 for snes which makes it one of the hardest rpgs out there.

I'm going to take a break from FF to play Chrono Trigger next.
Sades

Post by Sades »

This has nothing to do with Final Fantasy...

Edit: WRONG DAMN VIDEO GOSHDARNITfixed...

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Not being a fan of online RPGs, skipped FFXI and FFXIV. I figure those games can get addictive in a bad way.

If I had to give some thoughts on Final Fantasy, my preference would be FF7, 6, 9, and X. The remastered version of X is also pretty amazing.

Otherwise, check out Chrono Trigger, which is just a fantastic game.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Been a long time since I had anything to say about any of this...

I did play and finish Chrono Trigger a long while back. I thought it was really good but maybe a bit overrated. Since I started playing RPGs a few years back I've been watching a lot of video reviews, playthroughs and stuff of that nature and Chrono Trigger is always rated as one of a lot of gamers favorite RPG and even one of their favorite games in general. I'm not sure it ranks that highly for me. Don't get me wrong, I do think it was a good game. It's just that as far as RPGs go I've also played through the first 5 Final Fantasy games and the first 2 Dragon Quests and plenty of those were much more fun to play through.

Chrono Trigger had a great story, it was very fun and epic but the game itself was very easy, almost too easy and required almost no grind at all, which meant you can play through it in a very short amount of time. I liked most of the characters a great deal and thought the game looked and sounded beautiful. That all said I'd say that FF 3,4,5 and Dragon Quest 2 were more fun to play. There were hard games that took a lot of time and were just the right level of complexity.

I finished Chrono Trigger about a year and a half ago and after a break I started playing FF5. I got about halfway through FF5 and then took almost a year off from gaming at all. After that I played through the first two Dragon Quests and about the beginning of December here I decided to finish FF5.

FF5 was so much fun and took a lot of work to do all I wanted to do in it. It has a job class system that gives you special abilities with each level you attain in that job and then you can use those abilities as you switch to other jobs and there are two jobs (the default beginning class and Mime) that for each of the other jobs you master completely they give you bonuses from having mastered those other jobs. So I took the time to master every single job. Which meant that I could use the default and mime jobs as a sort of mega class. It made the last part of the game pretty easy but it took a lot of grinding to accomplish. My last save before the final boss was just over 140 hours.

All that and it also had two super optional bosses that were really, really hard. It took me two tries to beat Omega and four tries to beat Shinryu. So very stressful but so satisfying when I finally accomplished it. So much to do in this game and the story was just as complex and interesting.

So far FF5 has been my favorite RPG to play. I loved everything about it.

I'm looking forward to playing FF6 but I'm going to take another long break before I jump into it. I've heard a lot about FF6 and been made aware that it's "the greatest game ever made" so I'm sure that I will enjoy it when I do get around to it.