Latest Music Purchases.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

I heartily recommend Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express album. Autobahn and The Man Machine would be #s 2 & 3 on my Kraftwerk shopping list. All excellent stuff. :)
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sabaton - Carolus Rex (English version, Ukrainian edition with the Amon Amarth cover as a bonus track) -- damn good stuff.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:I heartily recommend Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express album. Autobahn and The Man Machine would be #s 2 & 3 on my Kraftwerk shopping list. All excellent stuff. :)
Agreed. I got those albums off my uncle when he got rid of his record player and I've since picked up a couple more from charity shops and the like.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Electric Cafe is another great Kraftwerk album. Includes the wonderfully utilitarian "Boing Boom Tschak" as well as the title track which served as the theme song for Sprockets on Saturday Night Live.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

My Chemical Romance Greatest Hits.
Destruction is my specialty
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk -- more atmospheric and film score type music than metal. Very calming. Currently sidestepped on YouTube over to Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, which seems to have a lot in common with European pop so far.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Arch Enemy - War Eternal (2014)

Not really familiar with their stuff, read an article on them in last month's Metal Hammer and thought I'd have a punt. They have a new singer, so that's a thing. Its great, lady has a right old growl on her and there's all those widdly-widdly guitars and this pummeling sound. Brilliant.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I had a Jack White kind of birthday and fathers day this year. My family got me his new solo album, Lazaretto, The Dead Weather-Horehound, and the Raconteurs-Consolers of the Lonely. All three are excellent albums, all three are very distinct, yet very clearly Jack White. The guy's amazing.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

A couple of new ones for me...

Kasabian - 48:13
Probably the only British band to matter a damn and certainly the last band standing after all their contemporaries from a decade or so ago have long since fallen by the wayside (there's what, Kaiser Cheifs from guitar pop's last resurgence still around, and they had split up in the meantime). I do like well done indie music, and its nice to see Kasabian throwing some electronics back into the mix after they'd mutated into something of a rock monster over their last few albums. Great bunch of tunes and a solid listen from start to finish. For me, their best one since their second album.

Babymetal - Babymetal
This is just amazing. It smells completely manufactured, but I swear to God this is one of the best albums I've heard this year. Its Japanese all-girl pop matched with the heaviest heavy metal and its just brilliant. Amazing fun, shouldn't work, its likely to be complete fad and sniffed at by people into 'proper' music (whatever the f**k that is), but just does and instantly brings a smile to my face. Fantastic.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, got a copy of that last one a while ago on the strength of a mention by someone and listening to a couple of tracks on YouTube... it's basically J-pop, which I enjoy a bit of, mixed with theatrical power metal, which I also like in moderation. Win-win. Very manufacturered and could probably have been done with any performers picked at random, but eh.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The soundtrack to The Living Daylights. It's nice John Barry rounded off his Bond tenure with two classics in the shape of this and A View to a Kill, it would have been a shame if he'd bowed out with the perfectly serviceable but forgettable Octopussy score.

Lots of great hummable music that works as well in isolation as it does underscoring scenes, the music for the Aston Martin chase is especially good. What's also impressive is how Barry succesfully uses the tune of all three songs for the film throughout the score, these days the Bond composers barely manage that with just the title song. The big trumpets and scatty piano that accompanies every use of Where Has Everybody Gone? is especially awesome.

I really like the a-ha tune as well, I was mildly surprised to find out it's unpopular (possibly because of the Barry/a-ha fall out?), sure the lyrics make no sense but that as true of A View to a Kill and everybody likes that.

The only annoyance is the tracks are in a different order to which they occur in the film (apparently due to this being a later reissue with more music, for contractual reasons they had to present the original album material in the same order and put the new stuff at the end), having the gun barrel at anywhere other than the start... wait, was this the favourite album of the people making the Craig films?

REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I like bears.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Mastodon 'Once More Round The Sun' (2014)

Cheerful loud album that rocks like a mutha, oh yes.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Does it count as a "purchase" if I reappropriated it from the trash?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

"Acquisition"
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I got a new record player. Its cool looking, takes up less space than my old one and converts vinyl into mp3.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Royal Blood!

I've been waiting for this album for so long! And its very short. But then this kind of knock about bluesy rock and roll (see also : The Kills, BRMC, The White Stripes, JAMC) tends to be perfunctory. Its a great album, but leaves you a bit like 'oh. its finished.'.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The X-Files homage Nick Roche cover to this month's MTMTE put Catatonia's Mulder and Scully in my head (and is that a young Welsh Bloke Offa Notting Hill/Elementary/Anna Friel in the video?), so I downloaded their greatest hits.

I was mildly surprised they had so many, but the Ones People Remember are all good fun and the others (despite some odd pronunciations from Cerys to make words fit the rhythm of the song, "EnDERlessLY") are generally decent in a mid-90's Welsh rock band sort of a way.

And, despite struggling with the lyrics (rhyming sick with... sick and mentioning Delilah twice within a couple of lines as if they'd run out of Tom Jones songs already) this is the greatest song about a Welshman of ALL TIME:

REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Amazon had Andy Mineo's new album on a slight sale, so I picked it up. I haven't had a chance to hear it all, but I very much like the fact that he rhymes "Sucka" "Wokka wokka" and "Chewbacca" in one of the songs.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

electro girl wrote:I got a new record player. Its cool looking, takes up less space than my old one and converts vinyl into mp3.
Is the casing made of wood or plastic?