The Doctor Who 2014/15 Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I didn't really think about where the barn was. Never even thought about it, because, y'know...its a barn.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It may not have even been a boys home. Hiding in the barn could have come shortly after they made the Young Doctor look into the Vortex/Matrix/whatever it was that infected the Master. Presumably they'd have done this with all the Time Tots. Heck, becoming a Time Tot may well be the first step, kind of like first grade. And from what we already know of Time Lord society, the kids may get shipped off to school and only come home on holidays(the Birthday of Rassillon, the First Regeneration of Rassillon, that time Rassillon tied Omega's shoelaces together, etc).
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm digging this season so far. The second episode with the Dalek was a bit meh but so far the others have been enjoyable.

I saw the first episode in the theatre thanks to a friend taking me on my birthday. It was fun. It was a bit in your face with all of the 'I'm not a young guy for you to fall in love with' stuff but it didn't bother me because, to me, it felt like a big **** you to anyone who'd been bitching about the Doctor not being young and attractive anymore and I feel like those people need that.

The Robin Hood episode was just fun and lighthearted and you need that, I tend to like those best.

This last one was genuinely creepy. Moffat is just really good at that kind of thing. I liked it a lot.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote:a friend taking me on my birthday
Hurhurhurhur.

This ep was alright. What I saw of it, anyway- the beginning kinda bored me a bit so I wasn't paying attention. I started watching about midway through.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sades wrote:Hurhurhurhur.
He's playing coy so we don't know he's off the market and won't stop flirting with him.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Nice bank heist episode last night, Doctor Who style. Good to see a bit more of the Doctor doing Doctory things this week. And my goodness, Jenna Coleman looked gorgeous in this episode. Enjoyed the supporting characters Psi and shape changey lady, they were good.

I liked Keeley Hawes strange 1950s space glam look she had going on. That was cool.

And the creature was great too :)

"Soup!"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Worked better on screen than on paper, was pleasantly surprised.

How far will the next episode get with the winding down of Clara, do we think?
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

The bank heist episode was fun. A pleasant change to have guest "companions" who weren't idiots, were useful, and didn't actually die. Can't quite get my head around the loop they made when the Doctor gave the bank owner his number, only being in the position to do so because he had already given her his number, but that is time travel sci fi for you. I just went with it. Liked the eyebrows being mentioned again. They're going to be his bow tie or his fez, aren't they?

No Missy again. Weird that she was in the first two but not since. Anyone got any theories?
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

Great fun, if frothy stuff. And who doesn't love multiple Alex Drake's?

I don't know why people were excited by the appearance of Abslom Daak (Dalek Killer) though, it's the criminal mastermind Sensorite I want to know more about.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Finally got to see this one, and it was a fun romp. No real standout moments - but it was a good, solid story, well worth many rewatches.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

inflatable dalek wrote:I don't know why people were excited by the appearance of Abslom Daak (Dalek Killer) though, it's the criminal mastermind Sensorite I want to know more about.
Absolm Daak?! Where was he? Must have missed that... and the Sensorite...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

The Caretaker.....

...... is taking care of Coal Hill Secondary School.

Ever since the First Doctor enrolled Susan there, Coal Hill keeps popping up. Although the uniforms are a new thing. Susan was wearing civvies in '63, while the Twelvth Doctor's favorite student is wearing a uniform that wouldn't have been out of place in my primary school.

But then, I went to a Catholic run school.

Again, the team gives us a really fun episode. I know I enjoyed it.

And the Doctor's right. Never make a sign when you're angry.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Its been a while since I saw 'An Unearthly Child'. Susan's about 16, is she not? which would put her possibly into the Sixth Form bracket (the school leaving age in England is 16 which -when I was at school was the Fifth Form or High/ Upper School/ Year 11). In England some Sixth Forms (ages 16 - 18) do not require you to wear a uniform (mine did) - so that might be a way out of that one.

Alternatively, it might just be because even in the 1960s uniforms weren't compulsory despite the large adoption of these since the reign of Henry VIII (whom introduced them to teach humility) and the Butler Act of the 1950s introducing a code to encourage schools to take up uniforms.

The uniform seemed fairly standard, but the crest was enormous, which makes it look a bit ... Primary School. Or latter day Grange Hill when they switched to that 'trendy' purple and yellow effort that seemed more corporate logo than secondary modern.

As for the episode, I enjoyed it, although it did feel a bit 'Sarah Jane Advenutres' in places. HD is also a bit unforgiving on robot costumes that are clearly made out of foam, making them look a bit, well, rubbery. Quite liked the visual gag with the teacher whom looked like Eleven though.
inflatable dalek

Coal Hill had regular uniforms in Remembrance of the Daleks (not to mention Day of the Doctor as well).
Skyquake87 wrote:Absolm Daak?! Where was he? Must have missed that... and the Sensorite...

His photograph was one of the Super Criminals the cyborg downloaded so as to distract the teller. Full pics of the cameos here: http://tardismusings.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ameos.html

Amazingly, Absolm Daak: Dalek Killer looks exactly like a drawing.

This week's was good solid Gareth Roberts fun, even if it was basically a reworking of The Lodger. Danny came over very well, rightly calling out the Doctor on being a dick so that bodes well for the future.

It was also nice to see Coal Hill still has a Mr. Bronsan lookalike as headmaster.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Well to be honest, if they had used an actual actor for Absolm Daak, do you think anyone would've recognized him?
Sades

Post by Sades »

I was entertained. Well done, TV. NEEEEXT!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

So 'Kill The Moon' then.

A familiar trope with the Earth in jeopardy from a giant space alien (see also 'The Beast Below' for a recent example), but this one ramps up the usual morality stakes by making this what appeared to be a thinly veiled abortion debate. It might not have been, but it felt like it, what with the creature being pretty much unborn. An uncomfortable subject to deal with at the best of times, even when given sci-fi trappings, and especially so with The Doctor (the only male character left by the halfway point) deciding to leave the women to sort it out, with some spurious 'destiny' waffle.

The resolution felt like a bit of a cop out... it would have been nice for them to be some ambiguity about what decision was made by dumping the 'message to Earth' and just cutting to itchy fingers and then Clara losing it with the Doctor (which was a fantastic scene).

An interesting episode, but not quite as thought provoking as it could have been and let down with the need to give us a happy ending (sort of). Hmm.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Love the preview for next week.

Kill the Moon... Danny's by far the least crap companion's partner in the modern series, isn't he? Does the "moon is an alien egg" thing fit with other televised stories, UNIT dating aside?

Felt more like a "needs of the many" angle for the most part, although wasn't paying too much attention to the tablet.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I'm not fond of Clara. She was very annoying this episode... I think I'd have killed the thing, better safe than sorry...

Felt very slow and altogether too convenient IMO. Danny's okay, so far.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I thought the whole premise was rather daft. The ending did feel like a copout, but I think Clara did kind of raise a valid point. Probably did not express it in the best way, but...

And I hadn't even considered the abortion analogy until Skyquake87 brought it up. :o I'm pretty sure it was unintentional, but I bet some people are gonna have a field day with it.