Mobile devices

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Mobile devices

Post by Sades »

What's an all-round good phone?

About time to retire my Rumour 2, it shuts itself off at random and the c-button is beginning to go, so that cuts back on the amount of insults I can hurl at people (Hound) while texting.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I've had something like three Samsung's in a row and they've always worked well for me.

I especially like the fact I can talk at my current (Galaxy 5) phone, telling it what to do and dictating messages and doggedly use this feature even though most of the time it's faster to use my fingers than say certain words.

At AA it tried to text Skyquake to call him a retard.

Whilst the phrase I actually wanted was mentally challenged.

The only real annoyance is the camera is a bit pants.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

inflatable dalek wrote:
The only real annoyance is the camera is a bit pants.
Mine packs a mighty 1.3 MEGAPIXELS!

Sez Wikipedia. Potatoes take nicer pictures.

I actually like my phone. I enjoy getting confused looks from preteens (not. Mind your own beeswax, brats!) when I pull it out, it's little and I've dropped it/kicked it/had baby drop it/try to eat it and it still works (um, kinda... heh) and it makes a satisfying clicking noise when I slide the keyboard back.

Hey, does anyone else remember when the "cool thing" was to have really ****ing tiny phones? I had a Motorola C350 back in 2003... I was always really annoyed because talking on it meant that I had to position it just perfectly so I didn't sound like I was whispering or far away or some shit. ****ing thing.

I even used it to look at the Archive. It was shit for that, too.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Depends how much you care about apps. I have one of them new Blackberry phones. It doesn't have all the cool apps. but I'll be damned if I had ever seen a more durable smart phone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Sades wrote:Mine packs a mighty 1.3 MEGAPIXELS!
Yo camera phones so old, it's just a camera.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I reckon a good all round phone would be an older iPhone, like a 3GS or a 4S. They work really well, you'll probably be able to get one for a good price because they're so many revisions behind the current model and they really do work well.

Apps won't crash and burn, I've never seen one of these iPhone's lock up where only a hard reset can save things, and they're pretty nippy. I own a Windows phone, and it's nice. Had a Samsung previously but neither compare to the ease, simplicity and downright simple workiness of an old iPhone. I think they're a genuine pleasure to use.
Sades

Post by Sades »

inflatable dalek wrote:Yo camera phones so old, it's just a camera.
Yo phone is SO old... it's decidedly behind in terms of technology when compared to the current generation!

OOH, SICK BURN.

I was thinking of looking at older iPhones! My main thing with these newfangled Smartphones though is the screens. My phones like to take the occasional swandives into pavement and from what I understand getting those screens fixed can be pricey.

I had a Storm once, that thing was built like a beast. Heavy and fairly durable. I s'pose I could look at getting another Storm...
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

If you're in the business of dropping phones then any smartphone is going to take a beating. Just get a case from Amazon, or a dodgy street vendor. Some screens aren't all that pricey to fix, a friend dropped her Windows phone & wound up with a big split in the screen. Took it to a little independent phone repair shop nearby that looked extremely dodgy, and they fitted it with a brand new official replacement screen the same day for £35. On-line companies were quoting between £80-160 for the same repair.

I used to travel on the train to London a lot, and I saw sooooo many people with fantastically smashed up phone screens, but they still worked!

An old iPhone is like a low end modern smartphone, except its a lot better because the iOS software is a lot better (just my own opinion), so you're getting the best of both worlds in terms of ease of use and low cost. You can also take advantage of cheap peripherals like a Mophie case which provides an extra battery for your iPhone which is all built into the moulded case; when your phone runs low on juice you flick the switch on the case and it provides you with a few hours extra power... and these cases are now like $5.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Pft, cases are for wimps!

I actually didn't even think of that. That's a good point... though, once in awhile I look at people with their phones in cases and I wonder how the phones don't overheat. /old

I know of two people at least with smashed phone screens. Do not want. I'd be afraid of getting glass in my fingers.

This is all good stuff.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nokia 3310, snap-on market-bought case of some anime girls in school uniform, ringtone is "Finer Dreams" by Richard X and Kelis. Phones, texts, does all it needs to, coming up to 12 years service. In about 2006 I hit someone in the face with it and it didn't break.
inflatable dalek

Sades wrote:Yo phone is SO old... it's decidedly behind in terms of technology when compared to the current generation!
Hey! My phone can talk to me, can yours do that?

Of course it can, that's a basic function of any phone. Silly question, forget I asked it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tempted to go back to the Nokia C2-01 because the 220 is a piece of shit in terms of interface and camera. Decent reception and battery life, though.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yay, other people have old phones. I'm not alone anymore. We should form a club. Or not.
Cliffjumper wrote:In about 2006 I hit someone in the face with it and it didn't break.
:up: Cliffy wins!
Denyer wrote:Decent reception and battery life, though.
Yessss. Battery reception is another big plus about my Rumo(u)r 2. People in my dept at work seem to continually have their phones plugged into the wall... I charge mine at home, maybe once every four-five days. Aw, I think I'm gonna miss my phone.
inflatable dalek

I think my Aunty Sue has had the same phone since around 1999. It has one of those green screens and the letters when she texts are made up of little dots.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I had one of those! I think it's still kicking around at my parent's place.

Is that phone a Galaxy 5 or S5? Googled but all I'm finding is S5. Same thing?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I just have a cheap Nokia C2-05. It does what I need it to. I can text, make calls, check emails, take pictures (although its massive 1.3 Megapixels means its best at taking pictures outside in day light, rather than under artificial lighting). Has no internal memory worth a damn so I did have to get a tiny memory card so I could dump a load of music on there. It does have the interwebz on there, but with a tiny screen and almost dial-up load times it wont be for everyone. I bought this to replace an earlier Nokia phone which I liked more, but operates in a similar way (can't remember the model number, started with an 8... something).

I often get mocked by friends for having a resolutely low-tech phone, but then I look at them swearing at their iPhones or are trying to soldier on with shattered screens or having batteries that drop dead after an hour and wonder who's better off. I like that I charge mine once, maybe twice a week, I can listen to tunes and keep in touch with people and that's good enough for me.

It all comes down to what you want from a phone and what you need it to do. My girlfriend has a Sony Experia and that's great for her as she works in the voluntary sector, so is frequently out and about, so having what is basically a pocket computer is great for her. Plus, it has a great camera on it which is important for her. Me, I'm a bit clumsy and would rather not have an expensive phone I'd be worried about breaking (I drop my phone a lot - usually in the morning trying to turn the alarm off).
Sades

Post by Sades »

Skyquake87 wrote:
I often get mocked by friends for having a resolutely low-tech phone, but then I look at them swearing at their iPhones or are trying to soldier on with shattered screens or having batteries that drop dead after an hour and wonder who's better off. I like that I charge mine once, maybe twice a week, I can listen to tunes and keep in touch with people and that's good enough for me.
Similarly, at my old work people used to make the odd comment. I learned I wasn't the only person with an older phone in the office when I did a job shadow in another department and just happened to check my phone when we were on break... the lady who I was shadowing with literally elbowed her friend, pointed at my phone and dragged me over to some other lady, telling them to show me her phone. She did... it was a similar type to mine. I slid out the keyboard and the ladies started laughing. Apparently, hers did the same thing and they ribbed her even more because of it, or something. I was amused at their reactions but at the same time my brain was like "...so?"

Having an older phone doesn't seem that uncommon here, so that's nice.

I have literally been laughed at on the bus when I break out my RCA Lyra (shut up, it was a gift. A million years ago, yes) as well. Sometimes I just forget to charge my iPod! But I'm going off on a tangent now. :p

Yeah, I'm getting a little iffy on purchasing something with a screen that could shatter. I can be clumsy too. Plus side, if I don't get a smartphone it'll be cheaper!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I've got an iPhone 4S, and I love it. It's also my backup iPod. And I'm using iRadio in the car a lot. My only major concern is getting a case for it. I want something that covers the screen, and finding one in these days of iPhone 5/5S/6/6 Plus isn't easy. Does the case with the battery built into it cover the screen?

Before the iPhone, I had a Samsung Proclaim. It wasn't a bad phone, but when I had to press it into service after my last iPod bought it(cracked screen, I could deal with. Dead battery, not so much), it didn't last long. The battery wore out in it incredibly fast.

The first smartphone I had(more like average intelligence phone) was an LG Optimus Q. It made a better stand in iPod. It makes a great alarm clock. But as an actual smartphone, not to mention only source of internet when I first got it, it sucked.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642