Mp3's

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Eternal 1
Protoform

Mp3's

Post by Eternal 1 »

I got a few of these, on my desktop, but I also want to have them on my laptop. Currently, I have to copy them every so often over my lan network. I need a program that will link the music folders of both of my computers. Then I would like to be able to synchronise the 2 folders and update my laptop that way. You know, with the touch of a button. I hope that this would mean that only the MP3's that my laptop is missing will be updated, and not that the MP3's from my desktop will be erased. Any ideas? My mind is numb and I can't figure out how to search on the net for this type of program...

------------------

They were the dream-mechanical beings able to transform their bodies into vehicles, machinery and weapons; a last line of defense against the chaos-bringer, Unicron
Post the TF:TM mistakes here and do it now!!!
Computron

Post by Computron »

as I am poissed I hope this wont be totally useless but here we go

Try getting a lap-link cable (it connects via printer port) and then connecting the two computers with "direct cable connection" somewhere in the dial up networking area of expertise

after that it should be a case of just selecting all the files and then copying all files to your hard drive clicking "ignore" for those that you have

------------------
Nominate the true Megatron at Seibertron.com

Images thanks to THE AXALON. The one stop place on the internet for all your Beast Wars images
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Er, dunno on-line, but various versions of LapLink have been on magazine CDs for the past year or so... a back-issue can't be that hard to find, and I'm fairly sure you have similar distribution in the rest of Europe that we do in the UK.

------------------

Check out my collection & trade list and other TF stuff @ denyer.cjb.net!
Later, when I was hanging from the tree... — Bill Hicks
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Computron:
Try getting a lap-link cable (it connects via printer port) and then connecting the two computers with "direct cable connection" somewhere in the dial up networking area of expertise
To elaborate on that... you should be able to use either a null-modem cable (serial) or parallel (printer) connection...

If both PCs have network cards, be happy and it'll be even easier...

LapLink just smooths the transition, and for a couple of quid may prove handy if you can find it...

Disclaimer: I've never needed to use this information personally, as I'm a big fan of CD burners...
Eternal 1
Protoform

Post by Eternal 1 »

maybe I didn't make myself clear, I have a network, so the file transferring isn't a problem, it's the fact that I have to keep on clicking "No" for every MP3 that I already have on my laptop. I just need a program that will know which files I am missing on my laptop and will copy them automatically. thnx

------------------

They were the dream-mechanical beings able to transform their bodies into vehicles, machinery and weapons; a last line of defense against the chaos-bringer, Unicron
Post the TF:TM mistakes here and do it now!!!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hmmm... sorry dude, I just glanced at Compy's post...

Something this simple might do you in this situation:

http://freebyte.com/fbbackup/

LapLink would also be good; it works via most protocols, and would handle the date-checking also...

------------------

Check out my collection & trade list and other TF stuff @ denyer.cjb.net!
Later, when I was hanging from the tree... — Bill Hicks
sprites touch
Protoform

Post by sprites touch »

if you're using a windows OS, you can put the mp3s on each computer in a briefcase instead of a normal folder, a brifecase-folder has a syncronize option.
you'll find this under
control panel --> add/remove programs
choose the windows setup tab
look for the accesories details
choose the briefcase.
do this on both machines, and put your mp3's in the briefcase.
should work for ya.

------------------

Maybe it's 'cause of all those punchs to my head, but I'm starting to see yer point.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I deleted my briefcase a long time ago, but I don't need it `cause I only have one computer.

------------------
They were the dream--
--Mechanical beings able to transform
their bodies into vehicles, machinery
and weapons; a last line of defense
against the CHAOS-BRINGER,
UNICRON. Image

-Transformers: Issue 75-
"ON The Edge of Extinction!"

Looks like I'm:

PaladinPrime: Supporter of the kill all lurkers, and eat them campaign.
sprites touch
Protoform

Post by sprites touch »

I deleted mine too( though I used to keep special stuuf in ti, since the Icon is difrent, and I can't give a regular folder a difrent icon without a special application), but it is good for people with more than one windows based computer.
it might be a simple solution to Ethernal1's problem.
though since it's very outdated, I doubt it helps.

------------------

Maybe it's 'cause of all those punchs to my head, but I'm starting to see yer point.