What TV shows are you watching thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

Re: What TV shows are you watching thread.

Post by Heinrad » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:36 am

Just finished watching the show Glitch. Really enjoyed it. Although season 3 wasn't as good as the first two.

Hound

Post by Hound » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 pm

I just finished watching DS9. It takes a couple of seasons to get good, as most Star Trek shows do, and then it's great up until the last season and then it goes off the rails and people start acting wildly out of character and do and say things that often make no sense.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:08 pm

I was browsing through some old threads on here, and that lead me to pick up She-Ra Princess Of Power Season One: Volume One on DVD, so I suppose this should be in the DVD thread, but I'm watching it now and it's a TV show sooo….

I haven't properly seen She-Ra since it was originally broadcast. I've watched the opening 5-parter and it's really great! I like the premise of the Horde having nearly conquered Etheria and The Great Rebellion being anything but. Something I was unaware of (but makes complete sense), is that Adora was a Captain in Hordak's er, Horde and has to be turned to the light by Prince Adam steering her towards her destiny. It's a shame her allegiance to Hordak is played up as an enchantment by Shadow Weaver, but I understand why this was done (wouldn't do to have your hero start out as a bit of a shit in a kids; show).

I like that it's Glimmer and Bow who are the nucleus of the Great Rebellion - that wasn't something I was expecting - with Glimmer the one leading, strategizing and organising. It's a shame she looks set to fall into the role of sidekick by the end, as it's clear Adora/ She-Ra is being primed to take over the Rebellion as leader. Glimmer is cool.

The other big props I have to give is that cutesy comedy characters aren't irritating goofs like Orko.

Hound

Post by Hound » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:44 am

We started The Mandalorian last night. Watched the first 2 episodes. It was very good. Looking forward to watching the rest. We signed in to Disney+ for the first time and I spent a half hour watching classic Disney shorts. They're so good.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:09 pm

I used to love all those old shorts, plus the stuff Warner Bros used to do (If I had to pick, Warner Bros. Cartoons were the ones I prefer). We used to have programming when I was younger that would run these in anthologies or just here and there between shows. Love 'em. Can't remember which studio it was, but I remember a really cool short based on the Blue Danube by Stauss.

Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:52 am

Twin Peaks (the original series). Its okay, I don't get why its heralded as one of the best things on TV ever, it's so flaky and dumb in places, with wooden acting from certain people. I feel like it's aged badly, and it commits that cardinal sin where a character orders food in a diner and then walks off without taking a bite or paying for it.

Kyle MacLachlan is great of course, and the story's got just enough to keep me watching (there's probably a huge amount going over my head and I never figure out the clues), but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie

Warcry

Post by Warcry » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:08 pm

I think watching Twin Peaks nowadays would be like reading Frank Miller's Batman, playing Ocarina of Time or transforming Laser Rod Prime for the first time decades after they came out. It can be tough to see what's so special and revolutionary about them today if you weren't there and consuming them at the time they were produced. They've all been so influential on their genres that it's tough for a modern person looking back on them to see why they're so revolutionary. So much of what we see on TV nowadays and in the last couple decades takes so much from Twin Peaks (and, frankly, improves on it) that it's easy to write it off as just another serialized supernatural thriller. But in 1990 there was absolutely nothing like it.

I've never actually properly watched the series myself, though, for most of those same reasons. It's been remixed so many times by so many shows that I doubt I'd find it very gripping in 2020. But maybe one day I'll give it a shot.

Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. Its a bit like when you go back and watch old episodes of X-Files or really bad episodes of TNG and I'd wonder how anyone could've watched this... I also bought the new season of Twin Peaks made in 2017, maybe it'll fix my feelings about the old-fashionedness. At the moment I'm on episode 21 of the original series.

Denyer
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Post by Denyer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:31 pm

Yeah, it's like Sandman reads best when you're a teenager.

Twin Peaks is 90% mood piece and personally I think it's a good idea to stop watching at the point in series two where the initial main plot has been resolved. The rest increasingly wanders.

Might watch the new stuff eventually.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:48 pm

I've been giving Batwoman a go on E4. It's a competent show. Some of the dialogue is a bit lifeless and exposition heavy. I don't actually know if I'm enjoying it, tbh. I'm 10 episodes in and still trying to make up my mind about it. It just feels like the latest in a long line of glossy, well produced shows but just doesn't have enough of a hook for me. Hmm.

Also been watching Harley Quinn (again, imported by E4) and it has the mad-cap energy of her comics, but is a bit annoying for constantly reminding you it's an adult cartoon by having everyone swear every other word. Sigh. Why do people think animation can't be adult without being sweary?

Denyer
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Post by Denyer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Seen some of Harley Quinn, a few eps into season 2 now, and haven't really noticed the swearing but not particularly taken with either the general level of ultra-violence or random killing off of mainstay characters that clearly underlines it as a separate universe.

HotdogDivebomb 2.0
Protoform

Post by HotdogDivebomb 2.0 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:34 pm

I watched all five seasons of the Netflix She-Ra series last weekend. It's very good. I enjoyed it a lot.

Message ends.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:55 pm

I think the swearing on Harley Quinn stands out so much because of Kaley Cuoco's distinctive voice. It's Penny! Swearing!

Just started watching Tales From The Loop on Prime. Two eps in and enjoying it. Nice weird sci-fi tales loosely connected to each other.

@ HotdogDivebomb 2.0 - thank you for your message :)