What TV shows are you watching thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I just watched the 9th season of this old BBC show called Dr. Who :D
Overall it was OK. I think "the cynical old bastard Doctor" is a better fit for Peter Capaldi than "trying to be like Matt Smith" however I like the more whimsical big kid Matt Smith Doctor than "the cynical old bastard Doctor" it's just that Smith IMHO did that a lot better and it felt more natural than Capaldi tries it.

I do think overall the direction of the story arc with the Hybrid of season 9 was the best of Moffat's reign, and while Moffat as probably overstayed his welcome as the showrunner and probably should have left with Smith, he still is a damn good writer with a wild imagination.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Watching Toy Story with the young one, mainly because someone left a copy of 3 in the car so we watched some of it on the way into the city.

When she first saw Buzz, she was like "WOAHHH, COOOOOL!" :lol:
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, we're on a Pixar loop whenever we're not watching Paw Patrol. I can live, though I have had to lose A Bug's Life and Inside Out's been a bit of a disappointment. Aria's mainly latched onto Slink from Toy Story, despite him only being in all three for a combined ten minutes.

On the other hand numerous rewatches have only served to reaffirm that The Incredibles is the finest superhero film ever by some considerable margin - the second the Marvel Boxoffice Universe manages anything with half the power of Mr. Incredible realising Syndrome's been using the robots to kill basically every other hero on the planet I might admit that it's not just CGI opium preying on society's nose-diving intelligence.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Bleh. I love them for what they are. Even if I nearly fell asleep during Age of Ultron and Ant-Man was just the first Iron Man film again.

Though as much as I heart Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier and Guardians, the Netflix output pisses all over the films in a way that isn't even close to being funny. And not in an "OMG mature content" way that a thirteen year old might tell you, but in an "OMG actual coherent character-based storytelling" way.

BUT ANYWAY. I have been alternating between seasons of Dexter and Californication. They are solid entertainment. As soon as Netflix pull their finger out and stick season 4 of Suits online I will also be watching that.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've been watching Siblings, which is ace. On BBC3 - all of series 2 is available on iPlayer (if you're quick). Worth checking out before the enforced decamp online for the channel. Its a slightly horrible but funny flat share comedy about Hannah and her brother Dan (just released from prison - no reason given, but I dread to think) and their misadventures. Good stuff :)

Been catching up on Walking Dead too, which remains ace.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Up to about season 4 of Archer (the one with the Pope who looks like Woodhouse) and it's still preposterously amazing.

Dabbling in Moonbeam City, which is a sort of eighties Archer. Not quite as sharp because the focus is so much more narrow but still not bad.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote:I've been watching Siblings, which is ace. On BBC3 - all of series 2 is available on iPlayer (if you're quick).
5/6 at time of writing. Sure I can find the first elsewhere though. Will take the recommendation... generally a bit cautious with new sitcoms, although have enjoyed Bad Education, Some Girls and even the bit of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps they had on there a while ago, none of which I was really expecting to initially.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I need a British person to come to Canada, go to the Family Channel Toronto HQ, and annex the Teletubbies and Twirlywoos back from them. (Well, at the very least, the Teletubbies).

I will pay you half your weight in mostly-dead houseplants.

... Oh, I am looking forward to the return of GoT. Yay. Providing it's on at a time when I can actually watch it.

EDIT: OH, OH. Also, Netflix is reviving Gilmore Girls. So, uh, if I can find a way to watch that, I'll be doing it.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades

Post by Sades »

So we're all sitting around, eating oranges, watching Pokemon.

SURE, BROCK, JUST LEAVE ALL YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND YOUR GYM WITH YOUR DEADBEAT DAD AND GO OFF ON A POKEMON JOURNEY, IT'S FINE.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Better Brock than Tracey, I could not stand that guy
Sades

Post by Sades »

I barely remember Tracey. I'd stopped paying attention by then. In fact I completely forgot he existed until I read your comment.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Unfortunately, Tracey took Brock's place in Pokemon 2000 aka The Best Pokemon Movie
Sades

Post by Sades »

Whose idea was it to put the edit and the quote buttons right next to each other?!? :o
pandagork wrote:Unfortunately, Tracey took Brock's place in Pokemon 2000 aka The Best Pokemon Movie
The first one got me a Mew card (or was it a Mewtwo card? Can't be bothered to look it up) and a fond memory of sibling bonding so I beg to differ! But we are all entitled to our own opinions, so is all good.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sades wrote:Whose idea was it to put the edit and the quote buttons right next to each other?!? :o
Yeah, I've ****ed that up before now... but they are at least quite wide.

X-Files, Lucifer and Elementary.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I just finished watching the new X-Files episodes, and I'm left with some mixed feelings.
SPOILER! (select to read)
I'll happily admit that I don't remember the last few seasons of the original show all that well, but it's hard to forget that it ended with a threat of alien genocide that apparently never happened, whoever Adam Baldwin worked for working really hard to kill the protagonists and Smoking Man a fugitive from them as well. The new series seems to retcon all of that so that Mulder and Scully can be free to take their old jobs back while Smokey is secretly running the world again. I mean, that's an effort to bring back something of the feel of the early days of the old series when it was actually good, and I don't blame them for that, but it's a bit confusing. But on top of that they seem to be rewriting the conspiracy mythos so that it was all humans all along with no aliens involved after the initial ship crash. That's...problematic, because even though I don't remember the original series all that well, there were definitely blatant ****ing aliens wandering around for nine years, sewing their faces shut, setting each other on fire, making hybrids and killing air force test pilots who dressed up in Grey costumes. Saying "LOL not really" means...what? None of that ever happened? It was all a show purely to distract Mulder from the real-this-time-we-promise conspiracy? Nah, screw that. It just reeks of creators who are a bit ashamed of the oh-so-90s alien invasion plot and desperately wanted to modernize it into a more generic "government is bad" conspiracy instead. With all of that going on, the episodes that deal with the "myth arc" wind up a mess. Bad plotting and Mulder blindly accepting everything that Knockoff Alex Jones has to say (I mean, even moreso than he usually would) make them even worse, and drive those episodes into downright awful territory. They felt like the random ravings of a 4chan conspiracy nut, not the believable in their own universe plots that made X-Files so popular.

So I was really ready to hate this after the first episode, but the "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that only two of the six episodes were really plot-heavy. The other four were more-or-less self-contained, and each of them were great. The trash golem episode would have been at home in any season of the original. The were-monster might well have been the funniest thing this show has ever produced (yes, even funnier than the classic ep that had Alex Trebek and Jesse Ventura as men in black). The terrorism episode managed to be topical without being preachy. And the episode with the genetically-engineered kids really hit me hard (as did the subplot of Scully's regret over giving up their kid), probably due to being a new parent myself. The local sci-fi network did a "best of" run of episodes from the first series before the new one started, and IMO none of these four would be out of place in that company.
When they sat down and tried to bang out standalone one-hour stories, they hit them all out of the park. But when they tried to add to the old series' big meta-plot, the results were just dire. So I'm not sure how I feel about the effort as a whole. I did enjoy it, but at the same time it could have been a lot better if they'd just played to their strengths.

All of which sounds exactly like what I remember from the original series, actually, so I really shouldn't be surprised.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

X-Files!
SPOILER! (select to read)
The problem I had wasn't so much them ignoring the last few seasons as much as possible (I like them, but the series itself had no faith in its new leads at the time despite them being perfectly capable. It's hardly surprising that era is either ignored or given a massive **** off as happens to Monica here), but they were redoing stuff from the "Classic" era. The big ongoing plot of season 5 is Mulder giving up on his belief in aliens and deciding it was all humans behind it all.

Amazingly, the twist is there actually are aliens.

You'd have thought someone would have remembered that.

The season finale I actually didn't mind despite this, there was a nice air of apocalyptic tension to it despite the unlikely fact that whilst all services were collapsing, mobile networks were still working. Cheeky ending though considering no more was guaranteed.

The standalone episodes were mostly solid, though I can understand why people were pissed at the Muslim terrorist one (though for me it seemed to be saying right wing American extremists were as bad. A Fox show doing a Optimus Primal hosted Fox News spoof as part of the problem was pretty bold).

The werelizard one was by far and away the best of course.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Supergirl continues to be one of the best superhero series currently made.

Agent Carter season 2 is a fun series.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I'm rewatching The Wire for the fifth or sixth time, which would also explain why I basically watch next to no other TV, even Breaking Bad. I mean, it's all going to be downhill from there
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Fuller House season 1 on Netflix. It's the continuation of Full House and the premise is pretty much the same as the original: DJ Tanner-Fuller is a widowed single mother with 3 boys, pre-teen/teenage Jackson, 6 year old Max, and baby Tommy, who's trying to raise her sons with help from her single party girl sister Stephanie and her best friend Kimmie and her daughter Ramona.

The women deal with relationships and jobs the kids deal with school and typical kid stuff. So yeah the stories always contrived and extra sweet, the characters are inconsistent, and the jokes are sometimes a little risque, meta, and some of them are so bad they're good. Just like the original series. I liked it and think it's a good show.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Finally finished Chuck, which took entirely far too long to do, now I'm switching between the 80's/90's Ninja Turtles cartoon and Marvel's Avengers Assemble.

I'm halfway through Avengers Assemble and it's not as bad as some forums have made it out to be. Yes, it's a bit childish with the humor, but it's not grating on my nerves. My thoughts are also similar for Ultimate Spider-Man compared to what I've heard from other forums.
Destruction is my specialty